Chapter 5: Pleased to Meet You

load previous
Sep 10, 2019 3:53 pm
"Well, remember when we first left? I heard a waterfall in the back of my mind. It um, probably isn't the same one, but it reminded me."
Sep 10, 2019 6:02 pm
Wil throws 6 blunt arrows into his quiver.

Good idea Verrian, never hurts to be prepared. I am ready to hit the road.
Sep 11, 2019 10:01 pm
The urgency to return to Hara gets everyone moving at a brisk pace. Within an hour of waking and searching the remainder of the encampment, the party is headed back through the brambles that hide this place and on the road to Hara.

The first day's dawning promise is fulfilled with a lovely, quiet day along the road. The sun shines, the wind is light and fragrant with early spring scents, and -- perhaps surprisingly -- no one encountered along the road. The second day is similar, pleasant traveling weather and few obstacles along the way. For those who haven't yet traveled this way, the approach to a large city that suffered the effects of the War brings with it sights both new and old: the now-familiar environmental oddities (trees growing together unnaturally, once in a while an animal with a misshapen leg or curiously warped features) but also the signs of wrecked civilization (farms lying fallow around houses flattened into so much kindling, roadside inns obliterated by raging fire). There are a few people you pass, most so frightened or suspicious that they run away as soon as your large, relatively well-equipped group appears. One group of five hapless travelers with little more than the threadbare clothes on their backs is bolder than the rest, and ask you where you're headed. When they learn you're headed for Hara, one of them makes a sign to ward off evil.

"Can't recommend it," their apparent leader says shortly. "Rumor 'as it they's been overrun by ghosts what steal people at night outta their wery own beds. May not be much out 'ere," he says, waving a hand tiredly at the landscape around. "But at least as we won't be stolen off by ghosts, eh?"

He looks at his companions, two other men and two women, all of middle-age, dirty and poor, judging by the poor quality of their clothing and the lack of many visible possessions. "I... hate as t'ask, but... have y'any food y'might be willing as to spare?"

You can see it pains him to ask, the way his features tighten and the hesitant way he speaks. "Just... a little somefin as to get us on down the road a little ways? Jaken there's cousin," he says, nodding toward one of the men, "'ad a farm near here, 'e says. We're hopin' to get there and see if we can maybe make somefin of it again."
OOC:
This is afternoon of day 2. You should arrive in Hara mid-day tomorrow. If nothing stalls you.

Rolls

Secret roll... don't peek

Sep 12, 2019 12:08 am
Will dismounts from Atticus and goes to his pack. He leaves himself a couple days of food and distributes the rest to the villagers.
Sep 12, 2019 12:19 am
Verrian also gives a day or two of her food to the travelers.

"Tell me," she says to the man who's been doing the talking, Have you seen any other Naucans recently? People who look like us?" She indicates herself and Coreene.
Sep 12, 2019 1:05 am
Ember also shares.
Sep 12, 2019 1:49 am
Swan will also donate his food, leaving two days worth for himself. "Where did you come from neighbors? Was it Hara?"
Last edited September 12, 2019 3:25 am
Sep 12, 2019 1:56 am
While she feels for their plight, Coreene hangs on to her rations. With what has been shared already, she feels that the travelers have what the need. She plans to share with her companions should they find themselves short on food.
Sep 12, 2019 3:35 am
OOC:
Given how extremely generous both Wil and Swan have been with their food, I'm going on record that Verrian donated one day's worth of rations (of the "one or two" mentioned in my post).
Sep 12, 2019 5:02 am
Elora will share about two days worth: a mix of her own rations and what Pip has collected, confident the two of them can now forage enough to get by.
Sep 12, 2019 5:09 am
OOC:
Please give me perception rolls at your convenience. Verrian, canny observer does not apply.
Sep 12, 2019 5:17 am
OOC:
Okey doke.

Edit: Ho-lee shee-it.
Last edited September 12, 2019 5:18 am

Rolls

Bowling for perception - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

Sep 12, 2019 5:38 am
Yelnar will offer some Manticore meat.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Sep 12, 2019 5:39 am
Wil takes a look around

Rolls

Perception - (1D20)

(14) = 14

Sep 12, 2019 6:04 am
Pip does most of the looking while Elora rummages through her bag.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Sep 12, 2019 11:59 am
OOC:
Do you see what I see...

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+9)

(18) + 9 = 27

Sep 12, 2019 4:05 pm
The man answers the questions in turn.

To Verrian, he says with a faintly befuddled expression, "Naucans? Er... no'm. We ha'n't seen none like you on the road."

To Swan, he says, "No sir... we come from farther on down the road. A village. Called... Penthar." There's just a faint pause before he gives the name.

The response to the outpouring of generosity is heartwarming. There's such a push forward to collect the bounty offered that it seems as though these poor people haven't eaten in days. Eyes wide, they collect everything as best they can. One of the women, either hungrier than the others or less able to control her excitement, doesn't wait. She simply starts eating: whatever goes into her hands goes into her mouth.

"Earth and sky, we're well met indeed!" says the man who has done all the talking so far. "We've been so hungry. So wery hungry."

The way his eyes dart back and forth to the food makes you think that he's waiting to dig in simply out of politeness.

78RPMLife sent a note to Qralloq,Moonbeam
Sep 12, 2019 4:09 pm
Uelten is pleased by their generosity, but curious. He tries to recall if he know any creature that can mimic the human form yet act this way...

Rolls

Knowledge (Local +4; but Dungeoneering, Nature, Religion all +3) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Sep 12, 2019 4:46 pm
Verrian shares with the other members of her party, @All: Don't react visibly, but be on guard. These people are not exactly what they seem. Watch the jaw of the woman who is eating.

Having noticed that the woman's jaw almost appears to be unhinged - much like a snake's - and that she isn't chewing the food, Verrian casually makes conversation with the man while studying him and the woman who is eating for additional subtleties that she hadn't noticed before.
OOC:
I'm assuming that Canny Observer now applies, since she's searching for things that are hidden. If not, disregard.
Last edited September 12, 2019 11:49 pm

Rolls

What the hell ARE you people? - (1d20+10)

(4) + 10 = 14

Sep 12, 2019 4:52 pm
Ember tenses ever so slightly and tries to read the people. She must admit that her family's habits could help her figure out what's going on, but she's really hoping she doesn't need to use that knowledge.

But, she has an idea. She takes a swig from her canteen and "chokes" on it. As she coughs, she hisses in an undead tongue.

Show yourselves, heathens.

Perking up again, she wipes her mouth, blushes, and grins apologetically.

Breathe air, swallow water. Sorry.

Rolls

Sense Motive - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Knowledge Arcana - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Perception on their reaction - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

load next

Thread locked