Chapter 5: Pleased to Meet You

load previous
Sep 7, 2019 2:20 am
She shakes her head. "Its not stupid. Things are going to get worse before it can get better, but if we dont help them, I fear no one will."
Sep 7, 2019 4:41 am
Yelnar ignores Verrian silently, feeling a higher imperative. He does however, grab a lantern to light up an area out of view of the sleeping areas and drags the carcass around there before he sets to work. He works with a lot more determination than skill, using his newfound powers to try and mitigate his lack of experience. He intersperses the work with bouts of meditation, reflecting on the circle of life and pondering how to best make use of this beast to prevent the need for more violence down the track.

Rolls

Guidance Butchery - (1d20+0)

(19) = 19

Sep 9, 2019 6:18 pm
OOC:
Yelnar, you might not have noticed that Swan and Coreene actually dragged the carcass off on the previous page, so I'm going to retcon just a bit of your pose to assume that you took care of your butchery after it was dragged off, but without overhearing Swan and Coreene's brief discussion.
The remainder of the night passes without incident, and the next day dawns hopeful: bright spring sunshine sparkling off the morning dew that coats the area. It is by no means warm yet, but the clouds have departed overnight and it promises to be a pleasant day. Evidence of last night's battle seems to have mostly been erased -- bloodstains on the weeds and hard-packed earth between the cabins where the manticore met its end, and a few tracks that suggest the manticore came to the cabin from the nearby forest, but that's about it on a cursory examination.

All in all, it seems like a perfectly normal morning.
OOC:
I am going off the assumption that you haven't explored the rest of the camp in any detail. If that's not the case, let me know, please.
Sep 9, 2019 7:43 pm
OOC:
I don't think we did. It was late when we arrived.
What a great morning. One suited to great deeds. But, before we embark on those great deeds, I suggest we look around the camp to see if anything has been left behind that may help us.
Also, maybe try to track that manticore back to its lair. There may be captives or treasure.
Sep 9, 2019 7:50 pm
Biting her lip, Verrian says, "Looking around the camp makes sense, but we're already aware of forty captives in Hara that are in need of our help. I'm not sure spending a lot of time looking for the manitcore's lair is something those poor people can afford."
Sep 9, 2019 7:51 pm
With a new day upon them Elora feels yesterdays troubles and excitement abandon her for the uncertainty of what today will bring. For now she is settled into her usual calm self, although Will is certainly doing his best to make her worry. "Do manticores hoard treasure, or, ah, captives? I think they're more akin to hungry predators."
OOC:
Probably should give the camp a once-over.
Last edited September 9, 2019 7:51 pm
Sep 9, 2019 8:54 pm
Agreed, the 40 captives are our priority. I was only suggesting a short search. No more than 30 minutes.
Sep 9, 2019 9:21 pm
"All right. Let's all spread out and search this camp first, quickly, just in case there's anything around that might be useful to us. Then we'll spend a few minutes retracing the manticore's steps, if we can."
OOC:
I'm going to make perception checks for searching the cabins, the central building, and the surrounding forest. I'll add the Canny Observer +4 bonus to all in case they apply.
OOC:
Edit: Well, I did it incorrectly and none of the roll has the +4 bonus, so you'll have to apply it manually if appropriate. Sorry!
Last edited September 9, 2019 9:23 pm

Rolls

Central building - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Empty cabins - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

Surrounding forest - (1d20+6)

(11) + 6 = 17

Sep 9, 2019 9:31 pm
I'll help, although I can'tsearch the high shelves.
OOC:
I have no appropriate skills, but I can still roll, right?

Rolls

Central building - (1D20)

(15) = 15

Cabins - (1D20)

(19) = 19

Forest dark and dreary - (1D20)

(18) = 18

Sep 9, 2019 9:47 pm
Swan assists the search, although he is tired and anxious to return. Many hands make ligh work.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+9)

(4) + 9 = 13

Perception - (1d20+9)

(19) + 9 = 28

Perception - (1d20+9)

(15) + 9 = 24

Yards kicked by horse - (1d30)

(4) = 4

Sep 9, 2019 10:13 pm
Ember is anxious to move on, but she helps.

Rolls

Central Building - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Cabins - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Thicket wall - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

surrounding area - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Sep 9, 2019 10:44 pm
Coreene assists, though, like Ember, is eager to move on.

Rolls

Perception - Cabins - (1d20+11)

(12) + 11 = 23

Perception - Central building - (1d20+11)

(11) + 11 = 22

Perception - Surrounding Forest - (1d20+11)

(5) + 11 = 16

Sep 10, 2019 4:57 am
The cabins prove to be nearly as empty as expected. Under one of the beds in another cabin is a dusty locket on a thin metal chain. It might have once been silver, but it's tarnished beyond recognition now. Inside the locket is a tiny drawing of a smiling young boy, so remarkably intricate that you can almost count the hairs on his endearingly scruffy head. There's no other indication of who the owner might have been, or who's pictured inside.

The central building undoubtedly once had an impressively stocked kitchen. The evidence is now strewn all over the floors, the remains of rodents and insects tearing into sacks of flour and so forth. Even the pests are long gone, however; no giant rats waiting in the cellar in this building. There is a collection of rather fine kitchen knives, solidly constructed stoneware baking pans and sheets, and imposing iron pots for the taking if any of the party feels the need to expand their cooking repertoire.

It is the manticore's haphazardly constructed lair that is of the most interest in the end. Perhaps 100 feet into the trees is a collection of deadfall trees, brambles and scrub brush that from a distance resembles nothing so much as a very messy head of hair after a long night's sleep. A closer look, however, shows a passage through the mess into the interior where the manticore likely slept. Tufts of fur on brambles, claw and bite marks on the trees, and the remains of several unfortunate souls who did not have the benefit of a party of seven battle-trained comrades litter the area.

While the remains have wasted away to rickety skeletons, the gear they were carrying seems to be in reasonable shape. This gear includes:

A rapier of excellent workmanship and balance, only slightly bloodstained by some long-ago battle (masterwork quality, +1 to attack rolls).

A small box containing eight wax-sealed vials of what appear to be spices or dye powders.

A letter of credit in a scroll case from a prominent bank in Hara -- Coreene and Swan would know it as one of the only remaining financial institutions open in the city, though it is now under the control of the Guard like so many things. If it could be cashed in, it would be worth the equivalent of 1000 gold pieces.

A quiver of 17 blunt-tipped arrows (cause bludgeoning damage rather than piercing).

A hastily scrawled map tucked inside a pocket of a rotting cloak about one skeleton's shoulders. It's impossible to tell exactly what it's a map to, though. It shows a waterfall, a house or other building at its base, and a broad lake at the bottom of the waterfall. Whatever the map is trying to lead the way to, a large arrow indicates it's behind the waterfall.
Sep 10, 2019 5:04 am
Not being much of a searcher, Elora decides to keep a record of everything the others have found. The map is of some interest to her, and she finds herself staring at it for perhaps a little too long. "A waterfall? That feels familiar... for some reason."
Sep 10, 2019 5:44 am
Is there anyone else who uses a rapier? This is a fine weapon indeed.
Sep 10, 2019 6:05 am
Verrian looks at the rapier over his shoulder. "It certainly is." She grins as she holds it up, testing its balance. "I thought I was happy with mine until I held this one."
Sep 10, 2019 6:22 am
It seems to have taken a shine to you. It would be a shame to separate the two of you.
Sep 10, 2019 1:22 pm
Uelten waves away the rapier showing the letter of credit to Coreene. "My rapier served me just fine."
Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm
Wil, you should take the arrows. I think the variety would do you good. Who knows what we'll run into out here.

She assumes Elora will keep the strange map, and she hopes someone less fire-y will keep the credit scroll, just in case. She looks at a small pile: A pot she doesn't have yet, the box of vials, and the locket.

Does anyone mind if I hang on to these?
Sep 10, 2019 2:52 pm
Verrian removes her old rapier and respectfully adds it to the party's weapons cache, then replaces it with the new one.

"When everyone has what they want, we should be on our way to Hara."

She moves to Elora's side. "What did you mean,the waterfall feels familiar?"
load next

Thread locked