Chapter 5: Pleased to Meet You

load previous
Nov 8, 2019 1:18 pm
Ember glares back at Verrian. She shakes as the flames on her body subside, but still flicker.

She's right, Emby. Your anger is a tool.

I should have done better, she mutters to herself.

And you will - you will! Emby, you're an Elliad. You must focus.

She stands alongside Pip, relieved to see everyone back together, but still not thinking clearly.

It's a Mage Hunter. Don't you remember the stories? Of course magic can't work on it. But you can still use magic against it.

She stares back at the others, waiting to be released. Her dark eye glints with the light from her illusory flames.
Last edited November 8, 2019 1:19 pm
Nov 8, 2019 2:09 pm
Swan nearly trips on Ember as she comes to an unexpected halt. In a quiet voice he says, "Change of heart, my friend?" He melts into a shadow, shortbow at the ready. His lips still twitch with the song he was singing, but the words are internalized.

"We should make sure Coreene and Elora are okay. I wouldn't be surprised if that so-called Hunter infected or poisoned them by touch."
Nov 8, 2019 2:20 pm
I want to follow it. Her voice is raw and she doesn't move.

Fire that big is magic. Something happened with Wil and the prisoners. If they're weak. If they're hurt. The Hunter will destroy them all. We don't have time. But Verrian thinks we do. You think we do. The girls matter, but how many are we going to let it ravage before we kill it?

She coughs, her throat sore from the screaming.
Last edited November 8, 2019 2:22 pm
Nov 8, 2019 3:16 pm
"Then why did you stop? You go, I go."
Nov 8, 2019 3:22 pm
@Everyone: Elora and I have learned some things. This hunter's magic-neutralizing material is the same as that used to make the magic-draining restraints. I think the Crows might have access to this creature somehow.
Nov 8, 2019 3:33 pm
Ember's eyes go wide at Verrian's revelation. She glances at Uelten, grateful, but intense.

We go.

She follows the clearest path she can to the fireball. Surely the Hunter is doing the same.

I hope it burns, she speaks in a hoarse whisper. That was my best spell. And it just...absorbed it. But I can light our arrows on fire.....and more if need be.

The illusions on her burns now just glow like, well, like embers.
Nov 8, 2019 3:51 pm
Seeing the little sorcerer and the bard running off alone, Verrian telepathically calls them back, but it's fruitless.

She tries to put her worry aside and address the others. @Everyone: Magic won't work against this creature. In fact, using magic on it may make it stronger. If the mages caused that explosion, it may just be walking into a feast that will make it nearly impossible to stop. We need a plan!
Last edited November 8, 2019 3:52 pm
Nov 8, 2019 4:02 pm
Swan keeps his shortbow in hand, but requivers his arrow. "At least the farther we get from that mess back there (huff), the safer things will be for us (huff)." Except for abominable terrors from the age of magic.
Nov 8, 2019 4:18 pm
What do you mean? We're running right for it. Just us. And I'm still not sure what will kill it. What if it's already eaten all the mages by the time we get there?

She pauses.

I just can't lose my magic, or....die.

You're committed now, though, aren't you?

She shakes her head and looks to Uelten for some reassurance.
Nov 8, 2019 4:26 pm
"Im more worried about the guards, and the (huff) mole ridden resistance. Stabbing seemed to work just fine. Just don't use magic (huff) that clearly heals it." Swan runs as best he can to keep up with the short but fast Ember.
Nov 8, 2019 4:33 pm
Ember smirks. Guards burn.

That was violent.
Well, if they don't attack, they won't have to see violence!

She slows down and pops an oil flask off her belt. She pours just a little into her quiver, and then some into Uelten's, if he lets her.

So, I can light things on fire from a distance. If I'm able, I'll light these as they fly, or before, or something. I don't mind using magic on us, because it already knows I'm here. And, if I can distract it, all the better.

She pours the rest of the oil on her clothing and hair. She smiles.

And I don't plan on being in its grip long. Should we sneak or run in?
Nov 8, 2019 4:37 pm
Swan accepts the oiling. "Let's just run in. Were concerned citizens who saw the (huff) flames and came to help. You're my cousin, Emby. I have a home here in Hara."
Nov 8, 2019 4:45 pm
She flinches when he calls her Emby, but carries on, apparently satisfied with the plan.
Nov 8, 2019 4:59 pm
"Don't like that name? How about Kamber?"
Nov 8, 2019 5:29 pm
somebox says:
Relief floods through Elora as Pip, and she just wants to hug him. Alas he is to jittery for her. "Oh Pip I'm so glad you're okay and- Pip? Pip come back!" She runs a few steps after him before looking back at everyone. "I-I think he knows where Wil is." She looks at the billowing smoke, realizing they probably all do now.
Verrian looks to Elora. "I think it's very important that we get to Wil as quickly as possible. I'm betting that explosion came about from the magic users making a stand of some sort. So we may have just unleashed that hunter to go after forty-some unsuspecting mages who are fighting for their freedom."

She sheathes her sword and picks up the crossbow, strapping it on to carry it. "I suggest we follow Pip. I'm hoping that fire means we won't run into any guards along the way, but if we do, play it by ear. We're trying to stay together, but if that's not possible, someone needs to make it to Wil and tell him about the hunter."

Unless someone objects or has something else to say, Verrian starts running in the direction that Pip is indicating.
Last edited November 8, 2019 6:02 pm
Nov 8, 2019 7:31 pm
Machiabelly says:
Vesina. Calm down a bit. You have done great, all these people are alive and free. We have to try and keep them that way.

Let's head for the wall, away from the fire. If we can get everybody out of town...we may be able to get them to a more welcoming town. There is a place not too far away that may be taking in refugees
As Wil and Vesina are discussing what to do next, one of the former prisoners, a grey-haired man that walks with a noticeable limp approaches. "If you're in need of a place for all of us to hide," he says, coughing from the increasingly smoke-filled air, "we could cross the river. Dockside's almost completely abandoned. Lots of places there, safe from the fire, as long as we don't go too near the old governor's mansion. Hardly anybody goes that way any more."

Vesina impulsively reaches out and gives the man's arm a squeeze. "That might be just the thing," she says, and quickly explains to Wil about how the Dockside district is half-burned out thanks to magic that went wild after the War. "But we'll have to hurry before the way to the bridge is cut off."
Nov 8, 2019 8:39 pm
As the discussion over what to do next occurs, Livia comes to rest a hand on Eanala's shoulder. "Eanala... if that's at the warehouse, what of Vesina?"

Still caught between towering rage and wrenching grief, Eanala violently scrubs at her eyes with the back of her hand. She nods once, sharply. "Anders never went to find Kletiani," she says. "Take Erannik's body to the old temple, make sure she's aware of what's happened, and mobilize as many people as you can, if only to fight the fire that's undoubtedly going to rage. That whole district is tinder." Livia hesitates, and looks as though she's going to argue, but in the end she nods once and hurries off to follow orders.

Eanala looks to Giran, an eyebrow raised with an unspoken question. He grips his short sword so tightly his knuckles turn white. "I'm going with you. With them. You're not going to convince me otherwise, so don't even try, Eanala," he says, setting his jaw stubbornly.

Eanala only nods. "Then let's go. Between that thing and the fire, there are going to be a lot of people who need help."

The two of them sheathe their weapons and follow Verrian. Eanala seems used to running, as she speaks with Verrian without seeming winded. "We have one person inside the warehouse. Vesina is her name. Nearly as short as a halfling, roundish face, dark hair graying at the temples. I was going to mention her when we started planning for rescuing your friend, but..."

She trails off. Clearly that's not going to happen now.
Nov 8, 2019 8:40 pm
78RPMLife says:

As Wil and Vesina are discussing what to do next, one of the former prisoners, a grey-haired man that walks with a noticeable limp approaches. "If you're in need of a place for all of us to hide," he says, coughing from the increasingly smoke-filled air, "we could cross the river. Dockside's almost completely abandoned. Lots of places there, safe from the fire, as long as we don't go too near the old governor's mansion. Hardly anybody goes that way any more."

Vesina impulsively reaches out and gives the man's arm a squeeze. "That might be just the thing," she says, and quickly explains to Wil about how the Dockside district is half-burned out thanks to magic that went wild after the War. "But we'll have to hurry before the way to the bridge is cut off."
Wil smiles up at the man.
That sounds like a great idea sir. Could you help spread the word and keep people moving? Make sure no one gets separated. To survive this we are going to have to work together...I know you can do it.

He turns to Vesina.

I will bring up the rear and watch for stragglers, or pursuit.
Nov 8, 2019 9:03 pm
78RPMLife says:
Eanala only nods. "Then let's go. Between that thing and the fire, there are going to be a lot of people who need help."

The two of them sheathe their weapons and follow Verrian. Eanala seems used to running, as she speaks with Verrian without seeming winded. "We have one person inside the warehouse. Vesina is her name. Nearly as short as a halfling, roundish face, dark hair graying at the temples. I was going to mention her when we started planning for rescuing your friend, but..."

She trails off. Clearly that's not going to happen now.
Verrian keeps her eye on Pip, making sure not to miss any turns, while also trying to keep an eye out for guards. It's all starting to feel a bit overwhelming, especially since Ember has run off on her own.

Well, with Swan, not actually on her own. But it's Ember she's worried about.

To Eanala, she says, "Our friend is a halfling man, Wil Lightfoot. I have a feeling he had a hand in creating that fire - in setting it in motion, at least. But he doesn't know about... that thing."

She's suddenly aware that her facial markings are changing colors. It's probably not visible in this darkness, but it's a reminder to shore up her emotional restraints. When she's calmer, she asks, "Where that fire is burning - how far are we from it? How long will it take us to get there?"
load next

Thread locked