Two hours before the event

Dec 7, 2015 2:17 am
The air is crisp and clear on this autumnal day. There is a slight chill, but it should warm on the afternoon. The celebration is beginning to enter full swing as the vendors have finished setting up their stalls. There is the aroma of spiced cider and fresh tarts fill the air. Children laugh and play in the square. A fiddler is playing a jovial tune to match the feeling in the air. Games of chance are being constructed down one avenue. The only thing that detracts from the mood are the dark gray storm clouds to the south.

Well, not the clouds themselves, but how the older villagers stop and stare at them. The clouds ring the mountains that form the border between the peninsula and the mainland far to the south. The mountains are a six day overland journey from Uncegilla Cove, and storms generally blow in from the north and west. It is unlikely that they will cause any issues for the festival. But the way they keep looking to the south is strange.
Dec 7, 2015 4:04 am
Yaru has managed to get a small splinter in his left thumb, and it's driving him a little crazy. He welcomes the distraction since it takes his mind off of the forthcoming Rite, but he's taken to staring south when he sees an older villager do the same, his thumb stuck in his mouth.
Dec 7, 2015 2:05 pm
Yaru feels his knee's buckle slightly behind him someone pushing the back of his knees with their's before walking up next to him. A blank faced young man regards him before the Pha points at the thumb in his friend's mouth. "We're doing the rite soon... are you getting that out of your system before we start or something?" he asked curious with his head cocked looking at one of the few people in the village he referred to as friend. Pha looked out in the area to the South where elder's gazes seemed to linger and sniffed the air blinking slowly a few times before cocking his head back towards Yaru.

Remnant sent a note to foolsmask

Rolls

Secret Roll

Dec 7, 2015 2:39 pm
Kveit is nervous. Not only is she among the youngest people participating in the Rite, but those clouds make her nervous. She keeps finding her gaze drawn to them, looking for flashes of purplish light...
Dec 7, 2015 4:26 pm
Yaru smiles. "Very funny, Pha. I've got this annoying splinter -- I think it managed to work its way in, and it's just not worth digging it back out again. But it's pretty distracting." Nonetheless, the thumb is no longer getting chewed on in order to soften the skin or distract the young man from the minor inconvenience it provides. "Everyone keeps looking at those storm clouds. Any idea why?"
Dec 7, 2015 4:35 pm
Nodding the young man scans the festivals booths for a fruit in mind and points when finally seeing the purple speckled fruit with black spots, "Get one of those, wrap the peel around your thumb your flesh will push the wood out and close the skin... or I can cut it out. I don't know that much about clouds and weather... but I don't think it looks right." Pha stated looking up to the skys again blinking slowly with a blank face before he shrugged and looked at Yaru again.
Dec 7, 2015 4:38 pm
Galen steps up beside Kveit and gives her a reassuring smile, understanding her worry about the clouds on top of the stress of the Rite. "You've got this, you've just got to keep your focus. Any unexpected difficulties will have to be dealt with when they happen and not before," he says to her, quoting one of Irving's many lectures.
Dec 7, 2015 5:26 pm
Naatkinson says:
"You've got this, you've just got to keep your focus. Any unexpected difficulties will have to be dealt with when they happen and not before,"
"Easy for you to say. Your body is your own. Did the Seer speak with you when you received you...'invitation'?"

Kveit glances nervously at Galen.

"Also, have you seen Carrick? I thought he was trying today as well."
Dec 7, 2015 6:25 pm
Yaru considers the fruit, and definitely discards the dig it out option. It's mostly just annoying when pressure is just so, so he's going to leave the thumb alone and try to not think about it. "What did you put in your container?" he asks Pha. "You did get it turned back in by the deadline, right?"
Dec 7, 2015 6:38 pm
Pha nods his eyes glossing over slightly at his level of achievement in the task and meeting the deadline, "Mohsen explained to do something to truly motivate me during the festival to focus on winning so I shoved two thirds of my worldly possessions into the egg... if I don't actually get it back I'll probably die before the coming spring." he explained quite proud scratching the side of his face with a slight smile.

Yaru would realized a sane person would probably not due something so extreme, Pha's time with his guardian, Mohsen, was probably nothing but life continuously to extremes though. "What you put in yours?" Pha added noticing other people around their age in the center of town now and eyed they quietly.
Dec 7, 2015 6:54 pm
Galen nods, "Not much besides taking my ransom, but yes, I spoke to him briefly," he doesn't even try for more reassurance, knowing Kveit will feel better once it had begun, "No, I haven't seen Carrick today, but he should be here soon, he wouldn't miss this for anything."
Dec 7, 2015 7:49 pm
"Oh. Well." Yaru pauses, considering Pha's rather significant efforts on his container. "I wonder if the Seer can even lift your container then?" He smiles. "I put two things of largely sentimental value into mine. I have a glass bead that lets me see things far away, it's easy to tell when the boats have put in for the dock with it." He shrugs, "And something my brother gave me when we were younger."

Yaru looks around, spots Galen and Kveit and nods in their direction in case they happen to be looking this way. "Should we go say hi?"
Dec 7, 2015 7:56 pm
"If he can't reach he could probably ask for help... he's known as the Seer not the heavy lifter... granted I don't think it's that heavy, just a tome and all my money...I was going to put this ring in there but I couldn't get it off... Mohsen offered to cut it off but if I didn't have a finger to put it back on it kind of defeated the purpose..." Pha explained trying once again to pull the ring off his finger with his teeth seeming somewhat feral in the process. "Your items sound good too..." he added around the finger and ring in his mouth. With the sudden thought of socialization Pha stopped since the ring hadn't budged on his finger for over three years anyway.

"Only if they don't pick a fight... in that case we punch them in the face." Pha agrees in turn although oddly on his choice of words while raising a fist.
Dec 7, 2015 9:26 pm
Triat walked into the middle of the celebration square. Red-ginger hair and her height were betraying her appearance to anyone arround. She knew that, and liked it.
Her speech was often clunky and blunt, and she was not really a person who can say something about metaphysical matters and esoterical substances, but she was emitting drive and power around her. She was that healthy, juicy, and in same time unreachable, dominating female, which had appearance which pulled young lads to her. But then majority were pulled back away - once they tried to communicate with her. She was friendly, sometimes, but occasional arrogance, her physical superiority, mediocre intellect, and very pressing, everlasting drive coming from her, along with her second copy omnipresence were scaring many young village boys away from her.
She was used to be alone - she had Tairt, and that was enough in most cases. Tairt never spoke, but was really indentical copy of her, confusing many people in the Cove.

She scanned the crowd for presence of other Rite participants, and after recognizing them, she moved closer, but did not initiated contact. She was usually self suficient, and initiated things when initiation was really neccessary.
She stopped, and Tairt stopped with her.
She turned towards distant dark gray cloud mess on the horizon, and then noted to herself how much people give meaning to something that is not here yet. People were used to fear. Many people in the cove. She despised the whole meaning of this word. It was strange, alien feeling for her, something that she were not able to understand. It was sign of weakness, and weaknesses always calling for something that likes to feed on them - woes.

She sniffed the scent of the cider and the spices in the air, smirked and turned her attention towards her future Rite "companions".
Last edited December 7, 2015 11:46 pm
Dec 7, 2015 11:13 pm
Galen rubs his hand along the empty place on his neck where his mother's gold ring normally rests and sighs, he feels a little bit naked without it.
Dec 8, 2015 12:07 am
Pha not one to be actually social by normal means started sizing up the others that will be at the Rite ceremony and spots the towering twin ladies and nods his head back when they look in his direction. Elbowing Yaru to get his attention as well so he would notice. He was currently not causing any trouble so there wouldn't be any problems most likely... but Pha had the greater part of two hours and anything could happen.
Dec 8, 2015 2:56 am
Yaru looks around at the prod and notes the two tall redheads. "Oh yah, guess they're of an age now too, now that I think of it." Given Yaru's own reputation for "weirdness" about the village, he's also used to being mostly alone (Pha being a notable exception -- and then, getting into trouble on a regular basis really isn't a way to endear yourselves to many other people...).

"Two hours, huh? Seems like standing around here doesn't look like much fun anymore. Are we supposed to just stand here? Or are we allowed to wander off?"
Dec 8, 2015 2:58 pm
"She." Pha corrected handing him the rind from the fruit he was eating with feral hunger and manners. Wiping his mouth he shrugged, "I guess, no one said the ceremony involved standing around for long periods of time... lets check to see what we can get into." Pha looked around on things to get into like the games of chance maybe or at least watch as he started to meander off. If Triat noticed he'd give her a mock two finger salute. Standing here meant kids would eventually bump into them... he didn't want to get yelled at for stepping on a kid today...
Dec 8, 2015 4:39 pm
Yaru mutters to himself, "Right... she. I forgot." before wandering off after Pha. Yaru will watch Pha if he finds a game of chance, but not participate.
Dec 9, 2015 6:35 pm
As the participants start to gather in the square, more and more people start to show up. They all meander around and exchange small talk. The popular games this year seem to the "Snitch Catch", which is a clear synth cylinder chamber just wide enough for two grown men to stand shoulder to shoulder and raise their arms straight up. Once the door is secure a control panel turns on a weak anti-gravity field and a fan in the floor. There are a hundred colored slips of paper in the chamber with the contestant and they must struggle to grab one or more strips of paper while the wind and lack of gravity work against them. Children usually tumble head over heel several times on the thirty second time period. Adults have a slightly easier time staying upright. However, catching the lips of paper is still difficult. The ultimate goal is to catch the gold foil strip which earns the grand prize of one of Widow Fesessa's famous fish pies.

Another game that is more luck than skill is "The fishing game", popular for obvious reasons. A large tub is filled with water clouded black by squid ink. Fifty or so fishing baubles are being stirred around by a small numenera device. Below each of them hangs a colored, weighted ball. If you choose a bauble with a green weight you win a trinket. If you choose a red ball the bauble will pop and release a foul smelling aroma. The aroma only lasts a few seconds before disapaiting. You know from your years growing up the ratio is 1 green ball for every four red ones.

The mayor, Genran Faddle, and the Council of Guild Leaders is at the opposite end of the green. They mingle on the small wooden stage used for these types of events. It seems the mayor will be making a speech soon. Skirting the outside of the crowd a group of boys known as the Clay Rats seem to be taking everything in. Their leader Chaig is participating in the Rite today. However he is nowhere to be seen.
load next

Thread locked