The Force Awakens

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 17, 2015 4:52 am
So, who here's NOT a Star Wars geek? When are you going to see the Force Awakens?

I haven't bought tickets yet, but I have the 23rd off, so I think I'm going to try to go to a local dine in Loews on that day. I've also managed to not see any trailers or promo material. I know some broad strokes, but other than knowing 2 characters, that there are new X-Wing and TIE fighters (mostly because of the X-Wing minis game), and that for some reason, the bad guy has laser cross guards on his lightsaber. I also know that Jar Jar Binks is the big baddie over the entirety of the Star Wars universe, and that Abrams first two initials stand for Jar Jar.

What's your story?
Dec 17, 2015 4:58 am
I'm going to be the guy everyone hates here and say I don't plan on ever seeing any of the new Abraams SW. If JJ Arbaams made Star Trek for people who hate Star Trek, I feel he'll most likely end up doing Star Wars for people who hate Star Wars...
Dec 17, 2015 5:08 am
I wouldn't say he made Star Trek for people who hate Star Trek; he made it for a new generation of fans. I'm a huge fan of Star Trek, from parts of TOS through Enterprise, and I thought it was done well.

I also try not to go into movies with an expectations; that way I'm never disappointed.
Dec 17, 2015 5:20 am
I'm curious, and will see it in the theater, but probably sometime in 2016. I don't need to wait in line for it.

Setting expectations low is the key to enjoying film, definitely. Also avoiding trailers is very important to manage one's blood pressure. Most trailers tell far too much of the plot of movies to stomach.
Last edited December 17, 2015 5:21 am
Dec 17, 2015 5:49 am
I'm actually about to head out to go see see it. :-)
Dec 17, 2015 1:55 pm
I'm seeing it next Tuesday (we hoped to avoid most of the early showing madness, but still to see it asap).
Dec 17, 2015 2:03 pm
Just realized I may not to able to see it Wednesday. Let's see if/when I can go.
Dec 17, 2015 2:54 pm
I saw the first three films in the theatre when they were released (IV, V, VI) but have never watched the three prequels. Just not that big of a fan really although since playing in a Force and Destiny game here my interest has been piqued a bit. Mostly because I don't know what the hell the other players are referring to half of the time. :-)

I have heard that new film is actually pretty good, hope those that go to see it have a good time.

http://i.imgur.com/xcScuCI.jpg
Dec 17, 2015 6:24 pm
As you might expect, I'm a bit of a Star Wars geek. I've seen them all in the theatre when they originally came out -- and the idea of seeing a Star Wars with my boys for the first time together is almost enough to bring tears to my eyes.

I have a family of four. Our schedule is:

tomorrow, 9am: IMAX 3D
tomorrow, 3:30pm: 2D SD
tuesday, 11am: Cinerama special laser-awesome-projector

After that, subsequent viewings will depend on quality. :)
Dec 17, 2015 6:28 pm
I had tickets for noon friday but then things didnt work out. Now i plan on going sometime in the next couple weeks. I am real excited to see it.

Also for the Star Trak reference i didnt hate Star Trek just didnt get into it. I liked the new movies they had but still not going to theaters to see them.

Saw. The orginals in the theater. Was super disappointed with the prequels and admitted they were bad right away.
Dec 17, 2015 6:29 pm
falryx says:
As you might expect, I'm a bit of a Star Wars geek. I've seen them all in the theatre when they originally came out -- and the idea of seeing a Star Wars with my boys for the first time together is almost enough to bring tears to my eyes.

I have a family of four. Our schedule is:

tomorrow, 9am: IMAX 3D
tomorrow, 3:30pm: 2D SD
tuesday, 11am: Cinerama special laser-awesome-projector

After that, subsequent viewings will depend on quality. :)
Lol so no update on our game tomorrow is what you are saying. Lol
Dec 17, 2015 6:31 pm
Yah, it'll be sketchy. I gave away the 7pm tickets tomorrow -- so it could have been worse.
Dec 18, 2015 10:21 pm
Overall, I think it was a great addition to the Star Wars cannon. Likable new characters, no goofball jar-jar, Ewoks or over-the-top C3PO. Definitely some plot components that will cause a stir -- but in the end very connected and reasonable. Also well made, and a lot of fun.
Dec 19, 2015 2:35 am
Thanks, falryx. I'm a big SW fan, but have mixed feelings about JJA. After Lost, I'll never trust his judgement, heh. Sounds like the new one isn't a disaster, which means I'm suddenly excited to see it. However, I HATE theatres, and would pay double to see it on my TV instead. Not sure when PPV will become available.
Dec 19, 2015 3:41 am
Qralloq says:
Thanks, falryx. I'm a big SW fan, but have mixed feelings about JJA. After Lost, I'll never trust his judgement, heh. Sounds like the new one isn't a disaster, which means I'm suddenly excited to see it. However, I HATE theatres, and would pay double to see it on my TV instead. Not sure when PPV will become available.
You should take the day off some time in January and do a matinee. That's what i am planning on doing.
Dec 21, 2015 1:26 pm
Saw it Sunday. I almost cried I was so happy. :-)
Dec 21, 2015 8:21 pm
Keleth says:
I wouldn't say he made Star Trek for people who hate Star Trek; he made it for a new generation of fans. I'm a huge fan of Star Trek, from parts of TOS through Enterprise, and I thought it was done well.

I also try not to go into movies with an expectations; that way I'm never disappointed.
"Hate" might have been a bit of a strong word. "Perhaps "not like" would have been more appropriate. Still, after having heard about the plot of the movie and several spoilers, I now know this movie is as shit as I was expecting it to be, so I do not regret my decision to not see it...
Dec 21, 2015 8:27 pm
Wait, you've heard bad things about Star Wars? Even my most critical friends thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I haven't heard anyone speak less than highly of it.

As for Star Wars, again, even among super Trekies, only a small handful disliked it, as far as I know.
Dec 21, 2015 8:31 pm
kalajel says:
Keleth says:

"Hate" might have been a bit of a strong word. "Perhaps "not like" would have been more appropriate. Still, after having heard about the plot of the movie and several spoilers, I now know this movie is as shit as I was expecting it to be, so I do not regret my decision to not see it...
I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge something that you haven't seen. Especially with all of the positive reviews I think it's probably worth at least 2 hours of your life to give it a watch.

Worst thing I've heard about it is that it's not as great as the originals.
Dec 21, 2015 10:36 pm
In my opinion -- and I saw the originals in the theatre, thankyouverymuch -- it beats ROTJ easily and definitely gives the other two a run for their money. But the truth is, not everyone will like it (as not everyone likes Star Wars).
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.