The Force Awakens

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Dec 21, 2015 11:19 pm
Calling something shit without seeing it is just idiotic. Last Air Bender was shit.

Also I dont hate you for your opinion just you dont get one. :-)
Last edited December 21, 2015 11:41 pm
Dec 21, 2015 11:35 pm
falryx says:
In my opinion -- and I saw the originals in the theatre, thankyouverymuch -- it beats ROTJ easily and definitely gives the other two a run for their money. But the truth is, not everyone will like it (as not everyone likes Star Wars).
I am in the same boat with you seeing the real ones in the theater when I was young. This one in my opinion is pretty much tied with Empire. I need to see it a couple more times to see what i missed. Also any "holes" i know were mean for other future movies.
Dec 22, 2015 2:00 am
Keleth says:
Wait, you've heard bad things about Star Wars? Even my most critical friends thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I haven't heard anyone speak less than highly of it.

As for Star Wars, again, even among super Trekies, only a small handful disliked it, as far as I know.
No. I basically had the whole movie basically explained to me. I came up to my own conclusions that it was bad.
Dec 22, 2015 2:05 am
kalajel says:
Keleth says:
Wait, you've heard bad things about Star Wars? Even my most critical friends thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I haven't heard anyone speak less than highly of it.

As for Star Wars, again, even among super Trekies, only a small handful disliked it, as far as I know.
No. I basically had the whole movie basically explained to me. I came up to my own conclusions that it was bad.
We'll, how you reach the conclusion is up to you, but I do think that's a bit unfair and short sighted. It's like saying a book is bad after reading a summary of it. Less so, as the visual experience us a big part of a visual media.
Dec 24, 2015 6:37 am
I literally grew up watching Star Wars (was too young to see originals in theaters). Saw VII today and literally didn't stop smiling. It may very well be my favorite. I'll have to do some thinking on that. As far as JJA's history I thought he was the perfect choice because his Trek movies were basically Star Wars movies with Kirk and Spock. They were all about the good vs evil and the gun fights/crazy action that are central to Star Wars. Also, Kylo Ren is much better written and acted than young Anikin from the prequels (still can't figure out if it was HC being a bad actor or terrible writing, but it makes me sad as the actual story of the prequels had a lot of potencial). Making the comparison because the two have very similar personalities and situations.
Dec 26, 2015 4:42 pm
Quote:
still can't figure out if it was HC being a bad actor or terrible writing, but it makes me sad as the actual story of the prequels had a lot of potencial
It's a good question. I don't think Hayden was a very good actor, for sure, but it's also true that George Lucas isn't that good at writing dialogue and when he had the means to "tell the story he wanted" I think it inhibited his creativity. Episode 4 is so good, in part, because you have to imagine a lot of stuff and it works (and things look used and lived in). The prequels all look too pristine, and George's addiction to CGI didn't serve the story well.

So -- maybe a little of both. Episode 7, however, eschews all of that gratuitous CGI to tell a very good story. Truthfully, it has some relatively significant holes in it, in my opinion, but it's still a lot of fun. :)
Dec 26, 2015 7:35 pm
I have a ticket to go see it tonight, but I woke up feeling a bit ill this morning, not sure if it was because of the Christmas party last night or just because this weather sucks. Either way, I have a wedding to go to tomorrow, and I don't wanna risk being so sick I can't go or go and feel like crap. I'll see how I feel at 8, but if I'm still sick-ish, I'll go mid next week.
Dec 27, 2015 6:57 am
Got back from TFA a bit ago; it was good, definitely way better than the prequels. It was definitely a JJ Abrams movie; the first 5 minutes screamed it, and I liked it. The battle scenes really make me wanna play X-Wing/Armada, and setup a new FFGSW game. However, I wasn't super impressed. It was fun, I liked it over all, but I found a bunch of issues. I'll avoid saying more from here.
Dec 28, 2015 3:23 pm
I never saw the original trilogy in the theater, but I definitely grew up with them. My dad was a fan, and I was raised as a fan. I initially liked the prequels (as a kid) but once their fun wore off and I thought critically about the story, I got really disappointed. I read some EU material, and liked less than I read (probably the 80/20 rule). But I kept on liking the core of Star Wars.

I think that TFA is a good stepping stone for the rest of the trilogy, but unlike A New Hope it very clearly says "I'm part of a trilogy!" So I feel that TFA doesn't quite stand on its own as well as its predecessors, but definitely feels like a proper Star Wars film. I'm glad Lucasfilm/Disney didn't tie their hands too tightly, so the story really could go anywhere from here. The casting was very good, even if certain characters got less screen time than I'd hoped. I watched it in 3D IMAX and felt that the 3D made it harder to pay attention because there was so much more motion. Any of the plot holes that I noticed weren't huge problems, and any of those I've heard from others are predominantly opinion/preference -level—rather than glaring plot holes. I admit that the new doomsday weapon isn't scientific ... but it's still pretty cool (not that Star Wars was ever about science).

Edit: And I do plan to see it in the regular theater so I can pick up all the details I missed.

Much like Keleth, I left wanting to play a Star Wars roleplaying game almost immediately.
Last edited December 28, 2015 3:24 pm
Dec 28, 2015 5:23 pm
There are times that I think about breaking out my old 1st/2nd edition Star Wars RPG books and running one of the old-old-old adventure modules. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a copy of the old version out there for other players, and I am unable to invest in the newer systems.

Personally, I have to wait until SW:TFA is released on disc or streaming. Practically everyone around me has already watched the film in the theater, but for my preference I like sitting at home nowadays.
Dec 28, 2015 5:34 pm
CancerMan says:
There are times that I think about breaking out my old 1st/2nd edition Star Wars RPG books and running one of the old-old-old adventure modules. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a copy of the old version out there for other players, and I am unable to invest in the newer systems.

Personally, I have to wait until SW:TFA is released on disc or streaming. Practically everyone around me has already watched the film in the theater, but for my preference I like sitting at home nowadays.
Actually. http://d6holocron.com/
Dec 29, 2015 3:44 pm
I own the d6 books - so would happily play a WEG Star Wars adventure. :)

d6holocron 503'd for me - but there are PDFs of the rulebook out there in sufficient numbers I wonder if the information has gone public domain.
Last edited December 29, 2015 3:46 pm
Dec 29, 2015 3:58 pm
falryx says:
I own the d6 books - so would happily play a WEG Star Wars adventure. :)

d6holocron 503'd for me - but there are PDFs of the rulebook out there in sufficient numbers I wonder if the information has gone public domain.
Hmm, they might be undergoing maintenance. Maybe try it later in a few days?
Dec 29, 2015 4:01 pm
CancerMan says:
I own both first and second editions. Nowadays you can find many more copies of the d20 versions, but used book stores still have copies of the West End Games d6 versions (1st and 2nd edition). Right now there are a dozen copies of 2nd edition on Amazon, all for less than $20.

I would love to play in such a 1st- or 2nd-edition game. I've been meaning to introduce my kids to it, but they're enjoying our D&D5 campaigns so much I feel like I need to draw those to a close first.
Jan 13, 2016 2:16 am
On an unrelated note, the holocron is up again.
Jan 13, 2016 9:05 am
http://ironchefjabes.page.ph/regali/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Star-Wars-Cake_The-Force-Awakens-Cake_T-70_X-Wing-Fighter_Poe-Dameron_Millennium-Falcon_Han-Solo_TIE-StarFighter_Star-Destroyer_Geek_Geeky-Cake_Disney.jpg

SW TFA Cake. More photos here
Last edited January 18, 2016 12:22 pm
Jan 13, 2016 3:38 pm
That is some nice work!
Jan 17, 2016 10:06 pm
For all the Kylo haters. Lol

http://youtu.be/FaOSCASqLsE
Jan 18, 2016 12:41 am
Okay, that was funny. :P

You do not have permission to post in this thread.