Chapter 6: The Hunter and the Prey

load previous
Dec 14, 2019 6:07 am
Back at the office, Anders has lifted one of the bodies over his head and with a grunt of effort and a blistering string of half-incoherent curses he throws it at the wall, where it impacts a bookshelf with a sickening crunch. Anders is not a small man, certainly, but no one would normally expect such a feat of strength from him. Blood streams down his face from a cut atop his head, and the body of his sister lies at an awkward angle at his feet.
Dec 14, 2019 6:19 am
Verrian stares at Anders in shock as she stands in the doorway. "Anders! What are you doing?"

She doesn't come into the room, keeping an escape route open in case he decides to try throwing her against a wall.
Dec 14, 2019 3:09 pm
Moonbeam says:
The polite mob of halfings is moving well through the square now, and Verrian isn't worried that they won't make it through the gate now. When she notices the open door on the building, she weighs the risks versus the potential for finding useful intelligence and opts for the risks.

@Coreene: I'm going to take a quick look at this building where the guard was taking magic users. I'll be out soon.

She uses the general chaos in the square as cover to make her way toward the door. When she arrives, she glances around and into the interior before ducking inside.
Coreene has only the time to share @Verrian:: "What? Wait!" before Verrian is out of range of her telepathy. She huffs slightly, but continues on her mission. Verrian is strong, and will be fine... she hoped. Best to focus on what she was doing and get everyone out of the city safely.
Dec 15, 2019 4:41 am
The sound of Verrian's voice makes Anders turn, halfway to picking up another body -- this one lacking a head.

"Kasia? Kasia, is that you?" he says, his voice cracking. "I thought they killed you. I... watched them kill you. Kill all the guards as they were leaving."

He collapses to his knees, tears streaming from his white eyes. "They blinded me then. I was no use to them anymore. The one in the grey robe, he just reached out and took my sight. And laughed, Kasia."
Dec 15, 2019 4:56 am
"I understand, Anders. They were just evil. But why are you throwing all the bodies around the room? Where do you get the strength?"

Rolls

What's his deal? - (1d20+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Dec 16, 2019 5:49 pm
Anders' shoulders slump in an expression of defeat. "I was angry again. You know how I get angry sometimes. And I thought you were dead. I didn't know what else to do," he says softly, his white eyes filling with tears again. He steps forward toward the sound of the voice, and his knees buckle. He wavers, reaching his hands out blindly for anything that might support him, but finding nothing, he collapses to the floor. "I... I just need to rest now."
Dec 16, 2019 6:09 pm
Verrian stifles a sigh of relief and quietly closes the door to the office. Moving quickly down the corridor, she opens the first of the two closed doors.

Rolls

Show me what you got, room - (1d20+10)

(8) + 10 = 18

Dec 16, 2019 6:35 pm
Behind the door to the office, Verrian can hear Anders calling, "Kasia? Where did you go?" but it’s a weak voice, as though his stated anger has drained him completely.

Inside the side door is what must have been a storage space, though it’s long since been raided by looters of anything valuable. It must have been in recent use, though, as there are faintly muddy footprints on the floor, and trails in the dust that suggest something, maybe crates or boxes, have been dragged out recently.
Dec 16, 2019 6:39 pm
Leaving the door to the storage space open, Verrian moves to the other closed door and opens it, as well.

Rolls

Perceptination - (1d20+10)

(13) + 10 = 23

Dec 16, 2019 8:47 pm
This room appears to be a secondary office. There are two desks in a rather cramped space, only a couple of small windows allowing any light from outside into the room. Like the storage room, this room is nearly empty other than the desks. Even the chairs have been taken. Like that room, there is some evidence that it was used recently -- the same footprints, for example.

Verrian turns to go, but out of the corner of her eye, she spots the corner of a piece of paper jutting out from beneath one of the desks. Reaching down to pick it up, she sees that it's a short letter:
Quote:
"Ghara will not cooperate. He is a petty tyrant, and is unlikely to give up even the ruined city that detests him and his hand-picked thugs. Let him perish when you've gathered enough to free it. We will have no more need of him or his cooperation.

-- D"
Dec 16, 2019 10:38 pm
Verrian reads the letter quickly, impassively, then tucks it into a discreet pocket. She takes a deep breath, then heads back down the corridor quickly and opens the door to the office to deal with Anders.
Dec 17, 2019 3:09 am
Anders sits on the floor, back against the desk. His breathing is labored, his head bowed, and he might be asleep. However, as the door opens, he struggles to lift his head. His words are slurred as he says, "Wh... who... is it?"
Dec 17, 2019 3:19 am
Verrian hesitates. She's tempted to pose as his sister, but decides that honesty is more appropriate.

"It's Talva."

Well, for certain values of honesty.
Dec 17, 2019 3:40 am
"Talva? Who’s... oh."

The name is unfamiliar at first, but it finally connects in his tired brain. "Sun and moon... are they all right? I... they had my sister, Talva. You don’t know what they’re like. I gave you all away and... and they still killed her."

His voice is hushed, harsh, squeezed almost beyond recognition by his constricting throat.
Dec 17, 2019 3:49 am
She approaches and squats in front of him. "Most of them escaped. We ran into some trouble in the tunnel. A magical creature attacked us. Erannik didn't make it.

"Anders, what was going on here? What were they doing with the magic users?"
Dec 17, 2019 3:53 am
"Erannik... no..."

Anders wraps his arms around himself and bends forward at the waist as though about ready to vomit.

"I don’t know what they were doing... they needed someone to join the resistance... Livia knew our mother, they... they welcomed me..."
Dec 17, 2019 4:01 am
Verrian closes her eyes and sighs. She needs to get out of here. "Anders, the city is burning. There are fire creatures destroying all the buildings. We're near enough to the gate that I could probably help you to get out, if that's what you want."

She pauses. "Is that what you want?"
Last edited December 17, 2019 4:06 am
Dec 17, 2019 4:07 am
"Fire creatures? They... I heard them say something about the fire creatures... enslaved beneath the city by the Haran council...but I didn’t know what they meant," says Anders with a gasp.

But the energy leaves his body just as quickly. "Leave me here... she’s dead, isn’t she? That voice I thought was hers... it was you, wasn’t it?"

His head drops again. "Leave me here."
Dec 17, 2019 4:11 am
"Yes, it was me. When I came in, you were cradling her body."

She swallows, but her voice is steady when she says, "You asked me to kill you before."

She leaves the question asked, but unvoiced.
Dec 17, 2019 4:31 am
"Would you do that?". His eyes follow the sound of Verrian’s voice and don’t quite meet her eyes, but it’s close enough to make it feel so.

"Just... don’t tell me when you’re going to... do it. Please?"
load next

Thread locked