Interest Check: Universe Hoppers(The Strange)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 11, 2019 2:10 pm
Hi all, I'm just putting down this thread just to check out who may be interested in this idea I have of using The Strange system to make a game all about hopping/transisting to another worlds that are generated on the spot by a homebrew rule of dice rolls.
Nov 11, 2019 2:13 pm
The game won't be created so soon. I'll make it when I find that I have time, or stupidly believe that I have time. In any case, I am being a greedy fool for wanting to take part in many games at a time.
Nov 11, 2019 2:20 pm
So the special rule will be this:
There will be a list of 20 games, shows etc that I know of.
From this list I'll roll 3 times. If the result repeats, I'll reroll it.
The 3 rolls correspond to the degree of the setting's influence in this generated world.
There is Primary Element, Secondary Element and Tertiary Element.
Primary: This is the main element. The races, technology, and culture mainly is based in this.
Secondary: This is the extra races, and cultures that exists. They will be regarded as rare in the world.
Tertiary: This is will be like an Easter egg. With the element being legends, or terrible secrets of the world that only the players and a few others will witness.
Nov 11, 2019 2:22 pm
I'll also would like to know the players preference on transparency. Would you prefer that I reveal the list I'm using, or prefer it as a mystery. This goes with the results of the world generation too. Would you want to know what setting I'm using, or figure it out on your journey?
Nov 11, 2019 3:13 pm
I'm interested. I'm good either way tho tempted to know the chart but not results of the world rolls
Nov 12, 2019 3:43 am
The link to the PDF of The Strange is here.
Nov 14, 2019 9:50 pm
Also up for a cypher system game if you need someone.
Nov 15, 2019 11:57 am
Alright, once I get 3 or 4 players, then I'll set up a game. Also, I'd like to know your preference about whether I reveal the list or result for world generation, if you haven't shared yet.
Nov 15, 2019 12:45 pm
I'm curious if focus would change by translation world type or each key shift?
Nov 16, 2019 11:43 am
Oh yeah, since the worlds you will be in is unique, I'll propose to pick the focuses that you will get to choose from.
Nov 17, 2019 12:49 am
@Remnant, I'm not so sure about what youre asking, sorry. But I hope that telling you that translation into otherworlds will change your focus, or won't have to if they are draggable, will answer your question.
Last edited November 17, 2019 1:36 am
Nov 27, 2019 5:46 am
This post is as to bump and tell you new info.
I have now made the list of posible settings to be used in combination up to 40.
You may also want to share here the basic idea of your character you would want to play. Do note that the world generated for the starting world may not have humans, or even have different technologies or logic. So just give something in general like a bad-ass soldier, a knowledge hungry researcher, a cunning con-person etc.
Last edited November 27, 2019 5:47 am
Nov 27, 2019 1:18 pm
Cool, fyi I'll likely roll random for char gen.
Nov 28, 2019 5:42 am
I shall roll here now for world gen and plan ahead. BTW, now my list is 45.

Oh no, looks like I can't roll here. I'll go ahead and set up a game first and roll.
Last edited November 28, 2019 5:44 am
Nov 28, 2019 12:38 pm
I have generated a world. Here is a brief idea of things:

Humanity's reign is over, and monsters are the new rulers of the world. The empire of monsters are able to take in humans as its citizens, although they are less trusted. One day, the royal researcher have requested for capable and daring citizens to volunteer for a secret project. 500 Gold is a promised to any who volunteers and can keep things secret.

You may play as a fellow monster, or disgruntled human. The setting is like a medieval fantasy level tech. Magic exists.

EDIT!: I am now going with the starting scenario in the next post!
Last edited December 6, 2019 5:37 am
Nov 29, 2019 10:39 am
Another posible set up is that the party is part of a small group of surviving humans that have set up a camp in the border of the monsters' empire. This group sole goal is to not only survive, but to have revenge against the creatures that they believed have orchestrated the downfall of humanity. The party will be part of a small hit-and-run squad that will try to both kill and steal from the enemy.

If we go with this, then obviously you will play as humans, as any monster is not trusted and will be killed on sight or be fled from. Vectors would be more common, but the other classes is still viable to use, as they have their own useful skills in the field.
Last edited November 29, 2019 10:40 am
Nov 30, 2019 5:46 am
Here is the link to the game. I'm actually getting ready to start, so you can hop in first while things are slowly set up.
Dec 1, 2019 2:48 am
Do let me know what elements you are looking forwards to see in the game. Share with me your top 3. Example: RP, Combat, getting Magic items.
Dec 4, 2019 11:36 am
In case if I hadn't mentioned yet, you will get x2 xp. Also, I'll try to be quite generous in rewarding it, like maybe 1.5x of the rate that is normally rewarded.
Last edited December 4, 2019 12:54 pm
Dec 4, 2019 6:08 pm
From the posts and initial roll it looks like
[ +- ] Don't know if it's suppose to be known

For me I like to stay true to as the system was introduced, discovery leads to advancement (knowledge is power) and don't let reality 'break'.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.