Interest Check: Universe Hoppers(The Strange)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 11, 2019 2:10 pm
Hi all, I'm just putting down this thread just to check out who may be interested in this idea I have of using The Strange system to make a game all about hopping/transisting to another worlds that are generated on the spot by a homebrew rule of dice rolls.
Nov 11, 2019 2:13 pm
The game won't be created so soon. I'll make it when I find that I have time, or stupidly believe that I have time. In any case, I am being a greedy fool for wanting to take part in many games at a time.
Nov 11, 2019 2:20 pm
So the special rule will be this:
There will be a list of 20 games, shows etc that I know of.
From this list I'll roll 3 times. If the result repeats, I'll reroll it.
The 3 rolls correspond to the degree of the setting's influence in this generated world.
There is Primary Element, Secondary Element and Tertiary Element.
Primary: This is the main element. The races, technology, and culture mainly is based in this.
Secondary: This is the extra races, and cultures that exists. They will be regarded as rare in the world.
Tertiary: This is will be like an Easter egg. With the element being legends, or terrible secrets of the world that only the players and a few others will witness.
Nov 11, 2019 2:22 pm
I'll also would like to know the players preference on transparency. Would you prefer that I reveal the list I'm using, or prefer it as a mystery. This goes with the results of the world generation too. Would you want to know what setting I'm using, or figure it out on your journey?
Nov 11, 2019 3:13 pm
I'm interested. I'm good either way tho tempted to know the chart but not results of the world rolls
Nov 12, 2019 3:43 am
The link to the PDF of The Strange is here.
Nov 14, 2019 9:50 pm
Also up for a cypher system game if you need someone.
Nov 15, 2019 11:57 am
Alright, once I get 3 or 4 players, then I'll set up a game. Also, I'd like to know your preference about whether I reveal the list or result for world generation, if you haven't shared yet.
Nov 15, 2019 12:45 pm
I'm curious if focus would change by translation world type or each key shift?
Nov 16, 2019 11:43 am
Oh yeah, since the worlds you will be in is unique, I'll propose to pick the focuses that you will get to choose from.
Nov 17, 2019 12:49 am
@Remnant, I'm not so sure about what youre asking, sorry. But I hope that telling you that translation into otherworlds will change your focus, or won't have to if they are draggable, will answer your question.
Last edited November 17, 2019 1:36 am
Nov 27, 2019 5:46 am
This post is as to bump and tell you new info.
I have now made the list of posible settings to be used in combination up to 40.
You may also want to share here the basic idea of your character you would want to play. Do note that the world generated for the starting world may not have humans, or even have different technologies or logic. So just give something in general like a bad-ass soldier, a knowledge hungry researcher, a cunning con-person etc.
Last edited November 27, 2019 5:47 am
Nov 27, 2019 1:18 pm
Cool, fyi I'll likely roll random for char gen.
Nov 28, 2019 5:42 am
I shall roll here now for world gen and plan ahead. BTW, now my list is 45.

Oh no, looks like I can't roll here. I'll go ahead and set up a game first and roll.
Last edited November 28, 2019 5:44 am
Nov 28, 2019 12:38 pm
I have generated a world. Here is a brief idea of things:

Humanity's reign is over, and monsters are the new rulers of the world. The empire of monsters are able to take in humans as its citizens, although they are less trusted. One day, the royal researcher have requested for capable and daring citizens to volunteer for a secret project. 500 Gold is a promised to any who volunteers and can keep things secret.

You may play as a fellow monster, or disgruntled human. The setting is like a medieval fantasy level tech. Magic exists.

EDIT!: I am now going with the starting scenario in the next post!
Last edited December 6, 2019 5:37 am
Nov 29, 2019 10:39 am
Another posible set up is that the party is part of a small group of surviving humans that have set up a camp in the border of the monsters' empire. This group sole goal is to not only survive, but to have revenge against the creatures that they believed have orchestrated the downfall of humanity. The party will be part of a small hit-and-run squad that will try to both kill and steal from the enemy.

If we go with this, then obviously you will play as humans, as any monster is not trusted and will be killed on sight or be fled from. Vectors would be more common, but the other classes is still viable to use, as they have their own useful skills in the field.
Last edited November 29, 2019 10:40 am
Nov 30, 2019 5:46 am
Here is the link to the game. I'm actually getting ready to start, so you can hop in first while things are slowly set up.
Dec 1, 2019 2:48 am
Do let me know what elements you are looking forwards to see in the game. Share with me your top 3. Example: RP, Combat, getting Magic items.
Dec 4, 2019 11:36 am
In case if I hadn't mentioned yet, you will get x2 xp. Also, I'll try to be quite generous in rewarding it, like maybe 1.5x of the rate that is normally rewarded.
Last edited December 4, 2019 12:54 pm
Dec 4, 2019 6:08 pm
From the posts and initial roll it looks like
[ +- ] Don't know if it's suppose to be known

For me I like to stay true to as the system was introduced, discovery leads to advancement (knowledge is power) and don't let reality 'break'.
Dec 5, 2019 1:50 am
Yeah the world is a medieval fantasy like world. There is sword and sorcery. But then humanity lost to the monsters it tried to hunt down before, and the monsters are more able to secretly develop more advanced magi-tech the more powerful they are, like guns or railways. (as the monsters are not completely organic, that's all I can say) However these advances can only be found in the Capital known as Golden City. The common folks will still have the usual medieval fantasy tech.
Dec 5, 2019 2:39 am
I've been lurking in this thread for awhile, The Strange is my favorite game system. But what stops me from joining is I'm not sure what type of game play you're going for. I understand the variable setting, but what do you imagine the players doing in those places?

Reread the thread and you did answer some of those questions, so I'm interested.
Last edited December 5, 2019 2:45 am
Dec 5, 2019 6:57 am
My overarching idea is that:
1) Players do mission in original world.
2) Players learn of The Strange.
3) Players travel to another Recursion.
4) Players do mission solving a crisis in New World.
5) Players hop to another Recursion and solve another crisis.

Along the way, the idea that their world is just another unimpressive recursion in a multiverse of many other will creep on to them and may cause existential crisis. Or maybe not.

Also, there will also be some bigger scale conflict going on. Hopefully, this game could lead up to that, but if not, then I'll try to make each world rich enough so that players may choose if they want to explore more of the ones they discovered.
Dec 5, 2019 2:11 pm
I like that a lot. The Strange setting is very Earth-centric by design, but attaching equal weight to recursions is a great idea.
Dec 5, 2019 4:08 pm
I never played a Cypher game. Do you need the Cypher System Rulebook to be able to use The Strange player's guide or Core book?
Dec 5, 2019 4:34 pm
You can get by with the The Strange Player's Guide. It has everything you really need for char creation and advancement.
Dec 5, 2019 6:44 pm
Remnant says:
You can get by with the The Strange Player's Guide. It has everything you really need for char creation and advancement.
Thanks for letting me know.
Dec 6, 2019 1:25 am
BTW, I've also made the link here in the first page to download the PDF for free.
Last edited December 6, 2019 1:25 am
Jan 23, 2020 8:18 am
Hi all, just bumping this back up as I now have 2 active players. The game is now ongoing, with the party going to check out an abandoned village that is taken over by monsters. There is also a homebrew mechanic where you can collect materials of the creatures you killed for a researcher to study before receiving bits of lore and xp from it.
Feb 5, 2020 2:29 am
There is still lots of space in my game that has monster fighting and, eventually, recursion travel.
Last edited February 5, 2020 2:29 am
Feb 5, 2020 3:15 am
It uses the same system as Numenera right? And what is recursion travel?
Feb 5, 2020 1:01 pm
Recursions are alternate worlds which in game mechanics means your kinda the same and kinda different so different Foci in each new recursion for your PC.
Feb 9, 2020 2:17 am
Yes, it's similar to Numenera. I'm still open for more players.
Feb 9, 2020 2:29 am
@RoAries If you approve my request to join, i'll have a look to see if its a good fit for me.
Mar 13, 2020 11:37 am
Here is an idea of the starting experience that your character would likely have. Though you may choose to make it different, but it must be made with this type of world in mind:

As a child, you knew about the existence of monsters, magic, and many other legends that are spread amongst the 7 Kingdoms of Humanity. One day, a huge war happened, which lead to all the Kingdoms to fall, and Monsters to form an empire throughout the land. Now, your story begins as an adult survivor who is part of one of the few human communities outside of the monster populated cities. Most believe that this is the rising Age of Monsters...
May 19, 2020 11:36 am
(It took quite a while to find this thread...)

Hello! I'm still open for players to get into this campaign where I see to experiment forming my own world generation for the players to go to, and create the worlds to be rich as well. If you have questions ask me.
May 19, 2020 11:42 am
List of Focuses you can pick from:
Carries a quiver
Channels sinfire
Entertains
Leads
Lives in the wilderness
Operates undercover
----
We will do an introduction narration questions for me to have a sense of how to put you into the game.
Last edited May 19, 2020 11:43 am
Jun 1, 2020 5:04 pm
I haven't used the system myself, but I'm completely game for some universe-leaping!
Jun 5, 2020 8:04 am
That's great! I'll let you know that it is a bit slow, but the group may get around to world traveling, as I'm doing quite some world building of the starting world.
Jun 5, 2020 8:06 am
But before you design your character please read through the thread and links. We will then discuss about character concept, because one application made a character, and did not respond back when I spoke to them.
Jul 17, 2020 10:39 am
Hi, sorry for the very late check back. I'll discuss with you about the game. I'll send you an invite first.
Aug 4, 2020 2:45 pm
Hi, I am still fine with taking in some more. Even though I have 4 already, there is still room to accept another ambassador of the second world. This one is a very aged recursion that has seen multiple apocalyptic events, and have been corrupted from the price of developing too fast.
Oct 22, 2020 11:52 am
The new 4th player seems to not be around now. So, I'm open to accept a new one. Also, I'll offer to make the game public so you can see the world-building I am attempting to show.
Oct 22, 2020 5:51 pm
I read the summary of the Strange preview you linked and the info you've posted here and this sounds really fascinating. If you are open to new players, I'm very interested.
Oct 26, 2020 2:17 pm
Ah, sure! I'll send you the invite. Btw, your character could be open to any choice of Focus that you wish, except for the ones already taken by others, as to keep it diverse. Also, you may opt to be a native of either the Recursion the party is now in, or be from another type of Recursion. It would determine if you will be introduced as a guide for them or not.
Last edited October 26, 2020 2:19 pm
Nov 24, 2020 7:14 am
Bumping this again as my recent interested player have gone silent.
Nov 24, 2020 1:44 pm
This video about the setting sounds very interesting. Enough for me to get the Strange a second look
Nov 24, 2020 7:10 pm
Had a quick look through the rules - This is something I wanna try out!
Nov 25, 2020 2:31 pm
Yeah, I also looked up The Strange on youtube as well, and it feels like a cool system for me to try my experimental setting meshing mechanic, where I generate a world with rolling on a self-made secret table to organise the results into Primary, Secondary, or Tertiary influence on my generated world!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.