Interest Check: Universe Hoppers(The Strange)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Dec 5, 2019 1:50 am
Yeah the world is a medieval fantasy like world. There is sword and sorcery. But then humanity lost to the monsters it tried to hunt down before, and the monsters are more able to secretly develop more advanced magi-tech the more powerful they are, like guns or railways. (as the monsters are not completely organic, that's all I can say) However these advances can only be found in the Capital known as Golden City. The common folks will still have the usual medieval fantasy tech.
Dec 5, 2019 2:39 am
I've been lurking in this thread for awhile, The Strange is my favorite game system. But what stops me from joining is I'm not sure what type of game play you're going for. I understand the variable setting, but what do you imagine the players doing in those places?

Reread the thread and you did answer some of those questions, so I'm interested.
Last edited December 5, 2019 2:45 am
Dec 5, 2019 6:57 am
My overarching idea is that:
1) Players do mission in original world.
2) Players learn of The Strange.
3) Players travel to another Recursion.
4) Players do mission solving a crisis in New World.
5) Players hop to another Recursion and solve another crisis.

Along the way, the idea that their world is just another unimpressive recursion in a multiverse of many other will creep on to them and may cause existential crisis. Or maybe not.

Also, there will also be some bigger scale conflict going on. Hopefully, this game could lead up to that, but if not, then I'll try to make each world rich enough so that players may choose if they want to explore more of the ones they discovered.
Dec 5, 2019 2:11 pm
I like that a lot. The Strange setting is very Earth-centric by design, but attaching equal weight to recursions is a great idea.
Dec 5, 2019 4:08 pm
I never played a Cypher game. Do you need the Cypher System Rulebook to be able to use The Strange player's guide or Core book?
Dec 5, 2019 4:34 pm
You can get by with the The Strange Player's Guide. It has everything you really need for char creation and advancement.
Dec 5, 2019 6:44 pm
Remnant says:
You can get by with the The Strange Player's Guide. It has everything you really need for char creation and advancement.
Thanks for letting me know.
Dec 6, 2019 1:25 am
BTW, I've also made the link here in the first page to download the PDF for free.
Last edited December 6, 2019 1:25 am
Jan 23, 2020 8:18 am
Hi all, just bumping this back up as I now have 2 active players. The game is now ongoing, with the party going to check out an abandoned village that is taken over by monsters. There is also a homebrew mechanic where you can collect materials of the creatures you killed for a researcher to study before receiving bits of lore and xp from it.
Feb 5, 2020 2:29 am
There is still lots of space in my game that has monster fighting and, eventually, recursion travel.
Last edited February 5, 2020 2:29 am
Feb 5, 2020 3:15 am
It uses the same system as Numenera right? And what is recursion travel?
Feb 5, 2020 1:01 pm
Recursions are alternate worlds which in game mechanics means your kinda the same and kinda different so different Foci in each new recursion for your PC.
Feb 9, 2020 2:17 am
Yes, it's similar to Numenera. I'm still open for more players.
Feb 9, 2020 2:29 am
@RoAries If you approve my request to join, i'll have a look to see if its a good fit for me.
Mar 13, 2020 11:37 am
Here is an idea of the starting experience that your character would likely have. Though you may choose to make it different, but it must be made with this type of world in mind:

As a child, you knew about the existence of monsters, magic, and many other legends that are spread amongst the 7 Kingdoms of Humanity. One day, a huge war happened, which lead to all the Kingdoms to fall, and Monsters to form an empire throughout the land. Now, your story begins as an adult survivor who is part of one of the few human communities outside of the monster populated cities. Most believe that this is the rising Age of Monsters...
May 19, 2020 11:36 am
(It took quite a while to find this thread...)

Hello! I'm still open for players to get into this campaign where I see to experiment forming my own world generation for the players to go to, and create the worlds to be rich as well. If you have questions ask me.
May 19, 2020 11:42 am
List of Focuses you can pick from:
Carries a quiver
Channels sinfire
Entertains
Leads
Lives in the wilderness
Operates undercover
----
We will do an introduction narration questions for me to have a sense of how to put you into the game.
Last edited May 19, 2020 11:43 am
Jun 1, 2020 5:04 pm
I haven't used the system myself, but I'm completely game for some universe-leaping!
Jun 5, 2020 8:04 am
That's great! I'll let you know that it is a bit slow, but the group may get around to world traveling, as I'm doing quite some world building of the starting world.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.