What is your favorite D&D class?

Dec 9, 2019 1:33 am
Just a fun post that I figured could spark some discussion. What's your favorite class in D&D (or Pathfinder, since there's lots of overlap), and why?

For me, I tend to like most spellcasters, especially spontaneous ones. Part of it might be because all the spell management is a lot to keep track of, especially at higher levels, even if they give more flexibility. I love Bards a ton. Spellcasting through performance is such a cool idea. Not to mention the range of flexibility they offer while still being spontaneous casters, since spells aren't their sole purpose.

Sorcerers are also awesome, both because of the "simpler wizard" model of spellcasting (I know I'm oversimplifying), and because bloodlines are so cool for flavor and roleplaying.

For non-spellcasters, I'd have to say probably Rogue, due to the sneakiness, and the skill flexibility. I still like when I'm able to have some spells, so Arcane Tricksters are more so my type of Rogue.

So final verdict for favorite, probably Bard, Sorcerer, and Rogue, in no particular order.
Dec 9, 2019 1:50 am
I love the versatility of wizards. "Yes, I can solve this problem. Tomorrow." I played wizards almost exclusively until 3e.

Clerics have grown on me as their spell lists have filled out as editions progress. I love the diety-varying moral core, and the armor.

But really, paladins are my favorite. They're my first choice in any game, but I generally talk myself into playing something new. The Warpriest in Pathfinder is close, a blend of cleric and pally.
Dec 9, 2019 2:35 am
My favorite class is whichever one best suits the adventure and the party. Each class can really shine in multiple ways given the right adventure and party. I can literally think of a point where I'd want to play almost every core class. At a real world table, I'd probably say bard due to the free pass everyone gives you for taking over any NPC interaction with self-aggrandizement. In a game mechanics vacuum, I'd probably say druid. Druid might be the most versatile class, and they are full caster class.
Dec 9, 2019 2:46 am
I have played just about everything over the years, but I tend to play classes that are more chaotic such as rogues and warlocks, sometimes warlock/rogues.
Dec 9, 2019 2:56 am
Clerics are my favourite. I also enjoy dexterity based fighters...dual wielders or archers.
Dec 9, 2019 3:03 am
Paladins are my favorite always. I love playing heroic characters who want to do good in the world, so paladins are the obvious choice :P
Dec 9, 2019 4:27 am
Naatkinson says:
Paladins are my favorite always. I love playing heroic characters who want to do good in the world, so paladins are the obvious choice :P
I agree that I want to play a heroic character in games almost all the time, but unfortunately I always seem to be in the minority. I find that playing paladin ends up being a burden on a party that is filled with murderers, extortionists, and grave robbers.
Dec 9, 2019 11:35 am
I tend to choose character classes which cover gaps in a party. In my IRL games it seems everybody wants to play a spellcaster or rogue - which means I usually get stuck with fighter or barbarian. On here I have a cleric and a rogue - so they're nice changes.

That said, I quite like the everyman aspect to fighters. In a world where other characters can warp the very fabric of reality, there's something nice about being the down-to-earth party member who expresses wonder and surprise at the arcane world the DM presents.
Dec 9, 2019 1:01 pm
In Pathfinder usually Witch
In D&D usually the Warlock
Dec 9, 2019 1:20 pm
I prefer to play some sort of Gith, one who can stand his ground in melee and have have access to spells. Paladin, Fighter/Wiz and similar variants.

I want to have success with a warlock but haven't yet.
Dec 9, 2019 1:26 pm
Adam says:
I tend to choose character classes which cover gaps in a party. In my IRL games it seems everybody wants to play a spellcaster or rogue - which means I usually get stuck with fighter or barbarian.
Is this past-me? I thought I told me stop using the time machine?

No seriously, there was like a seven or eight year window where no one would play a frontline in any game I would find/join. I played a barbarian and then several fighters in a row.
Dec 9, 2019 2:02 pm
Linus says:
Is this past-me? I thought I told me stop using the time machine?
No. It's future you.
It turns out that discussing d&d character classes is much more important than killing Hitler.
Why? You'll find out, but put it this way...
[ +- ] read in case of paradox
Oh, and on the whole "killing your great-grandfather" thing. I didn't do that - he's pretty cool once you get a few beers in him. Beside, if I did then it'd cause a temporal paradox which leads to a reality TV star becoming president of the US - so I figured it was best avoided.

Len

Dec 9, 2019 3:04 pm
Like runekydig I like gish characters that get to experience the drama of melee combat but have access to clever problem solving tools with spells.
Dec 9, 2019 5:16 pm
I've been in a Warlock phase since 4E (being a servitor of Cthulhu will always please the cultist in me) but I'm branching out to try gish characters.
Dec 9, 2019 7:05 pm
My favorite is the paladin, partly because my first character that made it past first level was a paladin, but mostly since I, like others in this thread, enjoy playing heroic characters. Second favorite is ranger.
Last edited December 9, 2019 7:05 pm
Dec 9, 2019 8:38 pm
I don't really have favorites per say as I managed to play successful characters of just about every classes. I also like to try new stuff all the time, so it's rare that I end up restricting myself to a single "preferred class".
Dec 9, 2019 11:10 pm
I have a soft spot for multiclassing arcane and divine spellcasters. Not so much in 5e, but Maybe and Warlock/Sorc sometime.
Dec 10, 2019 5:14 pm
I like martial classes, so Fighters, Paladins, Barbarians, and Rangers.

I also like spell casters like clerics and wizards. I think my favorite are either clerics or paladins, which is funny because I'm a total non-believer IRL.
Dec 10, 2019 5:57 pm
SJoyner72 says:
I like martial classes, so Fighters, Paladins, Barbarians, and Rangers.

I also like spell casters like clerics and wizards. I think my favorite are either clerics or paladins, which is funny because I'm a total non-believer IRL.
Interesting how that happens. I'm agnostic, but I find the deities and divine followers of D&D/PF fascinating.
Dec 10, 2019 6:14 pm
For 3e its Sorcerer and for 4e its Warlord
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.