The Spiram of the Seer

Jan 4, 2016 11:11 pm
The group of you has left the clearing by the overlook and come to the base of The Spiram. The fight with Chaig, though short, has caused a delay. You come out of the trees to see a sight that may be new to some of you. The Spiram Appears to be a large rock formation jutting out of the ground right on the shore. It looks all the world like an arm & hand reaching out of the ground toward some distant star. It stands a hundred or more feet in the air from base to tip of its finger. The forearm is twisted around itself several times to give it the appearance of a spiral. It may have been a beautiful piece of artwork from in a previous age, but time and tide have not been kind to it. It is pitted and worn and oxidized by the sea salt. Some earth has managed to cling to it however and it is partially overgrown by grasses, wild flowers and scrubby trees.

A few participants of the Rite circle the base of the structure, looking for a way up. You cannot see a pathway to the top. You have heard that petitioners of the Seer are either met at the base or whisked to the top through some unknown method. You can see a small hut built just below the first knuckle on the first finger. Standing on the tip of the first finger is the Seer. You can feel his gaze as a weight upon you, though why this feeling has come upon you your cannot say because it is clear he has his back to you.

http://www.bergting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Screen-Shot-2014-03-08-at-13.43.29-300x402.png

He turns then and does glance down at all the participants before moving slowly back to his home.

:::If you like you may use your Recovery Action to heal 1d6+1 to your trait pools. The +1 is your current Tier. You will have another chance to heal once you are at the top of the Spiram, but you have a climb ahead of you. You will have time to use another healing action at the top also, if you don't want to use the Action healing right now.:::
Jan 5, 2016 1:17 pm
Looking around Pha relaxes his breathing his body reverting back to normal as he takes account of the area and looks up.
(OoC: I'm assuming this took over 10 minutes to get here)

Rolls

Recovery Roll (1 Action marker) +1 from Tough - (1d6+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Jan 5, 2016 1:50 pm
Galen looks at the spire and closes his eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath. He focuses on the task to come and centers himself before smiling, he relishes the challenge.

Rolls

Recovery - (1d6+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Jan 5, 2016 5:06 pm
Seeing everyone else pause and take a moment, the normally restless Yaru does the same. He manages to calm and focus himself somewhat, but doesn't meet the kind of success his friend does -- which is not atypical.
Last edited January 5, 2016 5:07 pm

Rolls

Recovery - will I be the 1? - (1d6+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Jan 5, 2016 5:24 pm
Carrick eyed The Spiram. It was so different looking at it from land. Had he tried, he would have lost count of the times he had sailed past it, and while it had captured his attention the first few times, it had quickly faded to the background as just another navigational waypoint. He stared at the spirals that worked their way up the side of the monolith and looked for a likely route. Spotting one that looked promising, he committed it to memory. Noticing that the others had paused to catch their breaths, he quietly slipped away, hoping to gain a bit of a lead before anyone noticed.

He scampered to the base where he would attempt his climb, and pulled the small, blue pill his father had given him out of his pocket. He remembered his father's words, Take this, I've held onto it for a while, waiting for the right time to use it. Chances are you'll find the right opportunity during the Rite, and I want you to have it. I don't know exactly what it does, but when whatever you face is too daunting, swallow it. Holding it in his hand, he looked at it dubiously then popped it in his mouth and swallowed. Almost immediately, he felt a surge of acuity, strength, and agility surge through his body, and he looked again at his plotted course with a new-found confidence.

OOC: I'm activating my Stim Cypher, which reduces the difficulty of my next action by 3 steps.
Jan 5, 2016 7:32 pm
Kveit eyes the Spiram. She has seen it before in her explorations, but is looking at it now with a new eye: how can she get up there? As she stares, her nanite-mechanical arms and legs ripple like water a stone has been dropped into. Her tail twitches in anticipation...

Due to my Fuses Flesh with Steel focus, the "first 5 points of damage can only be healed with repairs". Are points taken away from ability pools for expending effort considered "damage"? Do I need to make a repair skill check to heal?
Last edited January 5, 2016 7:36 pm

Rolls

Recovery - (1d6+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Jan 6, 2016 5:33 am
Friar_Tuk says:
Kveit eyes the Spiram. She has seen it before in her explorations, but is looking at it now with a new eye: how can she get up there? As she stares, her nanite-mechanical arms and legs ripple like water a stone has been dropped into. Her tail twitches in anticipation...

Due to my Fuses Flesh with Steel focus, the "first 5 points of damage can only be healed with repairs". Are points taken away from ability pools for expending effort considered "damage"? Do I need to make a repair skill check to heal?
Yes, "damage" is any missing points from the three pools. Effort and activating powers is tapping your "energy reserves" just as dodging and attacking in combat would. You do need to make a repair roll. I think a Difficulty 3(9), anyone can assist and act as an asset, and you can have 2 assets per check. Basically you would be directing the work, so with your repair skill, if you as for help from 2 people, it will be a 0 Difficulty.
Jan 6, 2016 3:12 pm
Pha finally takes the baskets hooked on his arm off and breathes his arms and legs shifting and his bones begin to crack. Pha now a bit taller was lanker as he refixed his basket with the egg in it to his chest pulling his shirt over it. Looking up he points a hooked talon at the tree, "Yaru... when do think we should start climbing up... now?" Pha asked.

(Sculpting Flesh Modified - Pha Sloth Form? -3 Int +1 Int Edge)
Jan 6, 2016 6:00 pm
Yaru sighs. "Climbing this is not going to be fun." Looking at his slightly-modified friend he shrugs, "I guess we may as well. Though, I do wonder if there's another way in or up." Yaru will slowly circle the base of the Spiram and both look for and magically seek out anything that may draw him to a cypher or other mechanic that either lets him in or enables him to be levitated to the top, as people have suggested can happen.
Jan 7, 2016 2:39 am
:::Sorry gang, forgot to post this earlier. The Difficulty for the Climb is 4(12). Carrick, your Difficulty is 1(3) because of your Cypher use. Yaru, feel free to make an Intellect roll...the difficulty will be 6(18) as the Seer is very secretive. You can sense the presence of 'magical' energy but nothing jumps out at you without some searching.:::
Jan 7, 2016 3:09 am
Ok -- since I'm specialized in Identifying or Understanding Numenera -- can I whack the difficulty 2 steps with that asset?
Jan 7, 2016 4:44 am
falryx says:
Ok -- since I'm specialized in Identifying or Understanding Numenera -- can I whack the difficulty 2 steps with that asset?
Yep.
Jan 7, 2016 5:01 am
Galen smiles, relishing the challenge before taking off and rushing forward to climb the Spiram.

Trained in climbing so I will reduce difficulty to 3, and I'll spend 4 points (5-1 from edge) to reduce the difficulty to 1

Edit: Ugh, seriously? Lol and I had spent a lot of time arguing with myself about taking it down to a 0

Edit 2: Spending 1 XP to reroll
Last edited January 7, 2016 2:09 pm

Rolls

Climb vs 3 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Climb vs 3 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jan 7, 2016 5:02 am
Yaru concentrates, examing the Spiram carefully. Climbing the thing seems like a lost cause for him, so he's better off applying his brain to the problem than his brawn.

2 assets + 1 level of intellect effort (2 intellect + 1 edge)

Rolls

Unlocking the secrets of the Spiram (vs. 9) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jan 7, 2016 1:41 pm
"I figure part of the Rite is thinking and figuring out for yourself how to get from one point to another..." replied before Yaru went to investigating things. Pha shambled over his form now not the best for walking around casually and poked the 'obstacle' and looked around before he tried to start up.

Edit: I'd like to use an XP (Not use if we have 3 total awarded so far or not) to reroll
Last edited January 7, 2016 1:45 pm

Rolls

Climb Task 4 (Down one step for the Modded body asset to climbing) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Climbing with a reroll still L3 overall - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jan 7, 2016 6:55 pm
Kveit grins after Galen, turns to Carrick and says, "C'mon, this'll be fun." She runs forward gracefully.

Reduce difficulty by 1, so rolling vs. lvl 3.

Ugh, I can't catch a break in this game with the dice. Spending an XP to reroll.
Last edited January 7, 2016 6:56 pm

Rolls

Climb - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Climb (reroll) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Jan 7, 2016 8:06 pm
Carrick began climbing. He was delighted to find the going much easier than he had thought it would be. Either he had found a perfect route or the pill had really bolstered his abilities, he wasn't entirely sure, but he scrambled up the monument easily.

Rolls

Climbing up the Spiram - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jan 9, 2016 7:34 pm
Carrick begins his climb. His body practically tingles under the affect of the stim pill he took. His muscles don't seem to feel the weight of his body as they pull him from one level to the next. His senses tell him more about the world around him than he could ever imagine was there to know. He sees insects working to stock food for the coming winter. He can hear them digging under the earth. It would overwhelm him, if the cypher didn't also increase his ability to focus and immediately dismiss distractions. As it is however the path before him practically jumps out to make itself known to him.

Galen and Kveit begin their climb, they follow Carrick as he seems to have made some kind of sense out of the difficult climb. At one point they come to an overhang however and all three of them are stopped in their accent. Kveit however realizes she is at an advantage in this instance and uses her own deformity to cling to the rock while she sends her nanos out to grab the next hand hold while Galen looks the other way for path. From the ledge above she could reach down and assist either of the boys who have made it this far.

Far below this activity Pha struggles to find his own way up the Spiram. Meanwhile, Yaru has uncovered something interesting. There is some kind of devise hidden at the base of the Spiram. There is a strange glass panel with runes that Yaru cannot fully decipher. From what he can read, this device can transport individuals from the base of the Spiram to the top. Likely this is the source of the tales. It has a relatively short range and must have an appropriately attuned target devise within range in order to work. Each time it is used it needs to recharge, which takes a few hours. Yaru sees that the device is ready and that he could transport to the top of the Spiram right now. Or he could try and reconfigure the device to take more than one person.

:::I'm going to use my first GM Fiat(s) here. Normally I would save this for when it would be interesting to see someone fail a roll, but I think we have a couple opportunities here to develop some character. So... Friar_Tuk and Farlyx, I extend the offer of 1 XP for you and 1 XP for another player of your choice if your characters give in to their competitive side and make their way to the top without the need of another check. If you refuse you have to pay me off with an XP.
Jan 11, 2016 2:34 pm
foolsmask says:
:::I'm going to use my first GM Fiat(s) here. Normally I would save this for when it would be interesting to see someone fail a roll, but I think we have a couple opportunities here to develop some character. So... Friar_Tuk and Farlyx, I extend the offer of 1 XP for you and 1 XP for another player of your choice if your characters give in to their competitive side and make their way to the top without the need of another check. If you refuse you have to pay me off with an XP.
OOC: Can you elaborate a little bit? I read this as you saying if we head to the top ditching the others, we get XP. Is that correct?
Jan 11, 2016 3:01 pm
OoC: It's a complication you take an xp and someone else gets an XP as well that you choose. If you'd prefer to not let it happen you can 'pay' one of your XP to void it (you can't use the intrusion xp being given for this).
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.