The Spiram of the Seer

load previous
Jan 11, 2016 3:06 pm
Remnant says:
OoC: It's a complication you take an xp and someone else gets an XP as well that you choose. If you'd prefer to not let it happen you can 'pay' one of your XP to void it (you can't use the intrusion xp being given for this).
No, I get that part. I'm confused as to what part of this is a "complication". I just want to make sure I understand our GM's intent before I make my decision.
Jan 11, 2016 3:53 pm
OoC: Ah from my perspective, help your friends or move ahead on your own it might cause it to be more difficult for your friends to move forward, this is considered a competitive race for some so I think it's still in scope.
Jan 11, 2016 4:13 pm
:::check the Questions and Chatter thread for my explanation, but yes Remnant has some of it there.:::
Jan 11, 2016 4:26 pm
Kveit pulls herself up onto the ledge above Carrick and Galen, both her friends. She looks down at them. This is a race. All the village expects you to fail...you're a freak, and the youngest in the race... A fire of defiance begins to take hold.

She spots a small crack in the spire, one which is not visible from Galen and Carrick's perspective. She points to this area saying, "I'm going on. There's a crack here you can't see. Galen, you should be able to reach it." She grins wickedly, "Catch me if you can boys!" Then turns and begins climbing like a monkey, using her nanite hands and feet to grip tiny cracks and ledges someone with normal fingers and toes wouldn't be able to use.

OOC: Mechanically: I'm taking the XP, and passing the other XP to Galen.
Jan 14, 2016 3:58 am
Yaru -- although an outsider and somewhat of a loner -- nonetheless values the core connections of his life. That of his brother, Gashe and one of his few true friends, Pha. Pha has been important in helping Yaru better understand his own abilities, so mumbles, "Pha, I think I have something here..."

He then looks up and looks around for his friend, calling out to his friend, "Hey Pha! If you want, I can see if I can either get this to take us both up -- or maybe I can send you up and recharge it and come up afterwards. I don't need to be first, I just need to complete the Rite, that's all."

OOC: Yaru will spend one of his XP to aid his friend.
Jan 14, 2016 1:14 pm
Unuse to the form his body was in Pha didn't seem to be able to use the modificatioin to his body the way he wanted to. Climbing down didn't take that long due to the lack of proccess. Listeing to Yaru in detail as he explained Pha thought, "I think together would be better, in the unlikely event something happens I can jump off and find something to hold onto easily enough. If it looks like it would fall you can just latch onto me and we can make it from there. It would be farther than we currently have progressed." Pha reasoned.

(OoC: If I can assist somehow I will in the task)
Jan 14, 2016 2:54 pm
Remnant says:
(OoC: If I can assist somehow I will in the task)[/color]
:::Because he is trained in Numenra Pha can assist and reduce the difficulty by 1. So Yaru has a Difficulty 5(15) check in front of him. That is the unmodified number. I see a reduction of three, 2 from Yaru's specialty in Understanding Numenera and 1 asset from Pha's help. Although now that I look at your sheet, there is the Datasphere Siphon. That has the ability to answer any one question...so that could be handy. As in...giving you the exact answer and negating the need for the roll.
Jan 15, 2016 9:52 pm
Carrick was happy the potential path he had seen was working out so well. He thought he had been making good time when he heard Kveit's voice from above call for him to catch up. He gave a low growl in his frustration before throwing himself against the Spiram again, recklessly trying to regain his lead.

OOC: Whoops - typo in the die selection
Last edited January 15, 2016 9:55 pm

Rolls

Climb check - (1d10)

(10) = 10

Climb check (d20 this time!) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jan 15, 2016 9:55 pm
"I'm pretty sure the two of us can make this work," Yaru states and he starts pointing at various places, tracing the thing line of detected numenera. "With it reconfigured, it should be able to lift us both upwards -- and if it shows any kind of power degradation I can likely charge it..." he pokes and prods the device.

Rolls

Spending 2 Intellect + 1 Edge for 1 effort, +3 assets vs Rank 5 (now 1) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jan 15, 2016 10:03 pm
Galen shouts to Kveit, truly happy that his friend is doing so well, "Keep moving! I'll catch up!" He then continues the climb, focusing intently on putting one hand down perfectly, then the other.

Assuming Difficulty 4 again? Reduced by 1 for training in climbing, and again for effort

Can I count Kveit's pointer to the best place to begin my climb as an asset? If so it's a difficulty 1 and I pass, otherwise I think I failed.
Last edited January 15, 2016 10:05 pm

Rolls

Climbing vs Difficulty 2 - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jan 16, 2016 3:44 am
Yaru and Pha make the adjustments to the numenera device, and hope they have interpreted the strange runes properly. When Yaru engages the activation controls, a high pitched buzzing noise fills their ears. The noise is perhaps distracting but not painful to their ears. Then they feel sensation of electricity dancing across their skin. They look down to see their feet dissolve. Then the hair on their heads feels like it is rising up. The sensation washes over them proceeding to their middle. Looking at each other they can see the other person vanishing before them, then the world vanishes too. The void rushes by in a swirl of colors to numerous to name, nearly to fast to discern one from the other. Then the world is back, though they are not where they were. ::: Yaru and Pha earn 1XP for discovering the secrets of the teleportation device:::

Yaru and Pha can tell immediately that they are standing at the top of the Spiram, in the "palm" under an open walled thatch roof structure. Walking toward them is Kviet who appears to have just finished her climb as she pants a little from the exertion of effort. A minute later Carrick makes his way to the top. He is strides over looking as though the climb was as simple as a walk in the park.

The area under the thatch canopy is covered with plush rugs and pillows. The area seems perfecty sized to allow all the participants to gather underneath it. When the four have gathered in the center of the palm the Seer reappears outside the hut perched on the end of the finger. He strides toward the gathered youths with a careful and measured step, nearly dancing toward you. Before he gets there Galen and Triat finish their climb. They are scraped and smudged with dirt, but they have made it. :::Galen, lose two Might for the failure to climb. Triat owes me two climb rolls. Failure costs the two Might:::

The Seer stops and waits at the bottom of the finger as more and more participants reach the summit. The breeze up here is chilled, though not unpleasant. It is heavy with the scent of the sea below. The other youths cluster with the other participants that they know in small groups. Once a majority of the people you all saw set forth from the village arrive the Seer approaches. Once under the roof he raises a hand and speaks, "Greetings, all of you are to be commended. You have performed well and should find pride in completing that challenge. Now please be seated. I have much to say and we should all be comfortable while I say it."

He walks over to a pile of cushions and moves one revealing a large box. He taps it and the lid slides off. An shiny metal orb rises up out of the box. It is marked with a black oval, the red light coming from within makes it look like an eye. "Dispense the kaja please, Teekle." The orb spins, rotating vertically, and stops when it's 'eye' is centered again. A fist sized whole appears under the eye and a small translucent white synth cup is extended toward the Seer. He accepts it and then a second arm replaces the first. The second arm has a tube mounted on it and it extrudes an opaque vigorously bubbling blue liquid. The Seer takes his cup and sits on the pile of large cushions next to the box Teekle appeared from. The orb makes its way over to your group first and gives each of you a cup of kaja.

The cup was an even temperature when you first got it, but after the kaja is placed within, it cools rapidly. Teekle must be keeping the drink chilled. The drink is very aromatic smelling of citrus. The smell is also sharp, it causes a tingle in your nose. As the bubbles slightly subside you look at the smooth surface of the beverage and see a dull reflection. Whatever this liquid is made of it absorbs more light than water. The consistency of the liquid seems on par with water. It does not cling or leave a trace of itself on the sides of the cup. The bubbles rise to the surface and pop with an inconsistent but fast pace, where they originate from is a mystery. The flavor of the drink is just as strong as the aroma. You feel a slight burning as the chilled liquid hits your tongue and back of your throat. It is a gentle sensation though, and not something to distress over. The taste of the drink matches the smell, citrus fruits being the primary flavor.

The Seer waits for you all to take a seat before he begins speaking. [b]"It is my duty to inform all of you that a until this point in your lives, you have been deceived. Every person you know who has completed the Rite of Ascension has been lying to you about it's true purpose. This lie was not meant to harm you, but to preserve the innocence of youth. Your parent's and caretakers wanted to allow you what joys and sorrows you might find in your own way, without the burden of the what was believed to be coming in your future."

"You all are aware of the mountains to the south that close this land off from the rest of the world. What you do not know is that high among the clouds and peaks of those mountains live the Timermen. The Timermen are a secretive society, and true masters of this world. Far beyond the southern mountains people call themselves queens, and emperors, and warlords, but all bow to the Timermen in the end. Within their mountain fortresses, the Timermen plot and scheme the fate of all the lands. They control access to the wonders of this world and hoard great and powerful numenera, magic and machines that could sunder the earth and leave it barren and lifeless, or launch us into a new age of discovery like the old worlds of legend. Some among their numbers claim they serve mankind and protect it from itself, but even if that was their original purpose, they have become corrupt and petty in the execution of their office."

"However, the Timermen have enslaved this land. They contained it and kept it to exploit to their own ends. The ancient histories that I maintain here at the Spiram say that in the past it was considered an honor to be chosen to serve them. But as they became more corrupt, tales of depravities and cruelties visited upon our people came back to us. Fewer and fewer of our people chose to serve. But as their indolence grew, so did the demand for more and more servants. When none would come willingly, our masters came to take us forcefully. They brought their most devastating technology against us, it was all we could do to hold on and survive. Once this land was dotted with villages. Thousands of people living lives of peace and relative tranquility. In a few short years we had been reduced to a single aldiea. In the end an accord was reached. The Timermen would come and take their pick of the children most recently come of age, and only those children. A Timerman representative would come to live among the people and serve as The Seer, to record the passage of time and determine who was of age. Annually, a group of Timermen would come to the village and choose who to take as slaves."

"This went on for generations. Then I was chosen from among the Timermen to serve as Seer. I was born in Uncegilla Cove and taken as a servant. Through guile and deceit I was raised to become a member of their society. Once I was promoted high enough, I assassinated the old Seer and managed took his place. Once I became Seer I began to save those that I could from the cruel fate I had suffered. But I could not keep everyone. I decided to save the best and most worthy. Those that failed the test were sent to serve. That all started over 60 years ago."

"Twenty years ago the Timermen seemed to vanish. I lost all contact with them. Even my own transport pad, that young Masters Yaru and Pha found would no longer take me to the fortress. I traveled to the mountains myself and found the foot paths blocked and covered up to make them impassable. For 20 seasons, we have lost none of our youth to the predilections of these tyrants, and it has been wonderful. Still, we, the elders of Uncegilla Cove and myself, have kept the Rite and it's purpose secret, in case the Timermen ever returned."
The Seer rises and faces due South. As you all look the mountains peeks can just be seen over the trees. Surrounding them are the same dark storm clouds.

"Those storms are a sign from the Timermen. They have finally returned as I feared they would. I do not know what kept them locked away in their towers for so long, but our time of peace is at an end. I can hide you, all of you, here in the Spiram. You will not suffer at the hands of the Timermen. You will free and prosperous lives of your own choosing. Free of the yoke of pain and torture that I was forced to bare. Your children however will not be so lucky. I had hoped to be the last Seer of Uncegilla Cove. It is likely that the people of the Cove will fight back. They have been left free for to long to just accept the return of the Timermen. I had hoped that the Timermen were gone forever, a wound from a passing age, healed by the passage of time. But it seems my hopes are not to be." Lightning bolts streak out of the clouds surrounding the mountains. The faintest echos of the accompanying thunder reach your ears some time later. The mountains should be to far away, but perhaps the clear, unobstructed air carries the sound further. The deathly quiet that has come upon the gathered youth helps.

"Come, we must get you all into the Spiram to hide you from the Collectors." The Seer gives his cup back to Teekle and the orb makes it disappear into its body. It then begins flying around and plucking the others' cups out of their hands or off the ground beside them. It takes a moment before the first youth moves or says anything. A murmur grows quickly as they turn and ask each other what they should do. Soon they begin to line up.

:::Everyone gets 2XP for making it to the tope of the Spiram and learning the secret history of Uncegilla Cove. You are now free to decide what to do next. You can hide which is what most of the Rite participants are choosing to do, or you can go defend your home and your people. Or something else I haven't considered...whatever makes sense for your character.:::
Jan 16, 2016 6:37 am
Galen listens in horror as the Seer reveals the dark secret behind the rite. His horror turns to shock and anger as these people that he grew up with prepare to abandon their village. He snarls and draws Reaver from the sheath on his back before hopping onto the nearest table and yelling at the top of his voice, "You should all be ashamed! Just like that you're all ready to abandon your homes, your families, friends and lives... It sickens me that you're all such cowards. I, for one, would rather die or be enslaved than live with the shame that I left my home to the Timermen's mercy. What do you all think will happen to our loved ones when they find out that they've hidden us all away? There will be a slaughter. Our whole aldea will fall under their feet while you hide here, safe in the Spiram while your loved ones are killed... Or worse. You can come with me. We can take up arms and defend our homes. We can fight back, and live or die in the knowledge that we did our duty to the home that's been so good to us all. I'll leave that up to you though."

With that he looks down from his perch to see their reaction...

Galen is not normally so outspoken, but he is driven by his need to do what he can to defend the Aldea. He was raised by an honorable warrior to have a strong sense of right vs wrong. And this just seems so very wrong to him.
Last edited January 16, 2016 6:38 am
Jan 16, 2016 2:23 pm
Pha pays attention to the details told and thinks for a bit... The looks of the adults at orphans and why they were tolerated originally made sense... they were another source of recruits for the Timermen. Possibly over time without the use for them they seemed more of a burden, or a reminder of how they had view things in the older times. The fact little was done when village children picked fights with orphans and it was overlooked in a way made sense... dealing with the secrets they knew little spouts seemed to have been over looked until in one occasions things went too far.

Pha was in pondering on what he should do when Galen spoke up... he thought about this as well before he stood.

"In a way I kind agree with this one... in others I don't... Not everyone knows how to fight well enough to defend and protect... some just don't want to kill someone else. People who aren't good at fighting not wanting to fight doesn't make them cowards... it makes them smart. There is no point in fighting to protect something if by fighting you ensure there is little chance of a future. If you die or are enslaved you are of no use to your family in the future... I don't mean your current family I mean what becomes of them and their offspring in the future. At the moment it might be brave to stand up but in the long run the Timermen will leave this village scarred and open up old wounds again... The village isn't always good to everyone but in the very least some do not have the views of all...

While I agree Bullies need to be punched in the face the ones coming to the village are probably not the leaders only those following what the leader or leaders drive them here to do. If you really want to fight back... we don't fight for the village this one time, we find out where the Timermen are going back to and where their leader is... we find out why they do these things... and we stop them. Bullies you have seen first hand sometimes lash out... once the leaders fall those following usually scatter.

Besides if you want to defend the village they'll have most of the children, some of the craftsmen, and fishermen stay in hiding in the unlikely event everyone on a defending force dies... they're not going to kill everyone they see if the cases remain the same as before they'll take some back. Ultimately we need to find out where back is more than anything else."
Pha stated.

I should have kept some of that fruit to go with this drink... Pha thinks to himself finishing the drink provided.

OoC: Pha although extremely in stating the black and white suggests some will die, probably good men and women defending the community and the people, hide away who can be for the village's future but ultimately someone needs to find out where the Timermen are now and hinder them from coming back for the next several generations. This falls under the something else.
Last edited January 16, 2016 2:25 pm
Jan 18, 2016 2:45 am
Carrick sat there stunned as the Seer revealed the truth of their little village. His first thought was of his father and the others who had hid this knowledge from him, and he began to get angry. Then he thought of Kylia and fear gripped his heart. He didn't want this for her. He didn't want this for their future or for their potential kids' futures. But if he fought for a life of freedom, it might mean that he wouldn't any future with her. He closed his eyes, but that didn't stop the tears as they began to stream down his cheeks. His future as he could see it held little joy or hope. Instead it seemed fraught with despair and death. But he grasped that spark of hope that came with the others' ideas. They were a small light in the darkness that he held tightly onto.

He wiped his face and looked up, a cool blue light emanating from his eyes. He quietly said, "I will fight. Pha, I will go with you and march straight into the jaws of hell if I have to and fight to protect our families, our friends, our futures. Though we may not return, I would rather give my life in the attempt than cower here and watch those I love be torn from me!"
Jan 18, 2016 3:57 am
Yaru observes and listens, blown away by the story told by the Seer. In time he agrees with his friend, "Pha is right. It seems like the way to get to the bottom of this is to go there," he points to the clouded mountains to the south, "and see what can be done. The Seer managed to move from slave to Seer. Perhaps we should give ourselves over to these Timermen and use our position within the home of the enemy to figure out how to do something about it?" He thinks, "Though we may want to talk to the Seer more if we're to do that. Otherwise, perhaps we can follow them home and... " he shrugs, "do something. I'm not sure a fight in the village -- especially one we win, would help us in the end. If we throw them off, aren't they liable to send something stronger and meaner?"
Jan 18, 2016 5:02 am
Kveit listens to the words of the Seer...and somehow feels that many things left unsaid in her life make sense. Especially Mama Zifnaby's cryptic hints and dark portents. She listens to Pha, Carrick, Galen and Yaru. Her brow furrows as she concentrates.

She looks down at her mysterious nano hands...wonders about the object she found in that cave...From them? Something of the Timmermen, left in that cave on purpose or by accident. Why was I chosen so young to join the Rite? She looks at the Seeker, as if trying to read his mind.

"I do not know what hope we have against these Timmermen. But I will not hide like a rat in the Spiram." She looks at Pha and Yaru, who she's seen around, but doesn't know personally. She looks at Galen, at his fierce determination. Her gaze rests longest on Carrick, at the tears in his eyes, and know he is thinking about his future children...There'll be no children for me. No future but that which I make for myself. I'll not die a freak of nature!

Kveit stands, says, "I will travel to the Timmermen, either as offering or pilgram. Alone," her eyes shift to Pha and Yaru, "Or with any others who wish to fight these Timmermen. I'll not cower in fear, nor await their convenience."

She stares defiantly around the room, a teenage girl, now a woman by the law of the land, with dull metal arms and legs, bone spurs projecting from the elbows and knees. The light reflects oddly on her leathery, scaly skin and her tail twitches behind her.

Her fists are clenched at her side. Mama knows. She knows something. I must speak with her.
Jan 18, 2016 5:29 pm
The Seer waves a hand and reveals a hidden stairway leading down into the Spiram. Many of the Rite participants hesitate, hearing the words you offer, but one by one you can see their resolve break as they move to enter the sanctuary.

A young woman, Teela some of you recall, stops. She takes the hand of another participant and pulls her to a stop. Teela looks at you with tears in her eyes, her companion can't seem to muster the courage. "Our parents, they sent us here knowing what might come today. They are ready for whatever wrath these Timmermen have." She stumbles a little over the unfamiliar name. "We hide now to preserve the future as our people always have."
Jan 18, 2016 5:42 pm
While the others make their way below, the Seer pulls the five (/six) of you aside. "My roll as Seer gives me access to amazing secrets. I foresaw a day when the Timmermen would return. I could never pinpoint the year it would happen. What I did know was that when the black storm clouds appeared, I would also discover the identities of those that would choose the path that all of our futures would take. Beyond this point there are to many possibilities to predict. Do what you feel is best, for it will impact all of our fates."
Jan 18, 2016 11:57 pm
Pha nods pointing out, "We need to see how they travel if we're going to chase them and how they fight so we don't get ourselves killed."
Jan 19, 2016 2:17 am
Carrick looked at Pha, "Do you think you and Yaru could fix that 'transport pad' so it's working again? Seems to me that'd be the easiest way to find where they're at."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.