Chapter 7: Wherever You May Roam

load previous
Jan 22, 2020 6:28 pm
Ember leans forward in her seat, sitting on her hands again. If the three EEeees are gonna check out the college, can we send a separate group to get normal supplies? Just in case?
Jan 22, 2020 6:32 pm
I will go out as well, a few of us should be able to get everyone together fairly quickly. We can fill the hunting parties in when they come back.
Jan 22, 2020 6:47 pm
"Then if no one has anything else to discuss, I'd say we're adjourned."

She stands up and is suddenly struck by Yelnar's declaration that Meriava isn't home. When she'd been trapped there, her fellow Naucans had made the best of it, forming a kinship under Adaye's leadership and even debating whether to change their surnames to reflect it as their true home. She'd always held onto the hope of one day returning to her own kinship of Cyr back in Nauca.

Now, she no longer fully trusted Adaye, and Naucan society had collapsed. Does she even really have a home anymore?
Jan 22, 2020 7:01 pm
Ember hops up onto her chair.

Extra! Group! To! Hara! She looks around pointedly, wondering why they keep ignoring her. If you want us to focus, we can't be distracted looking for carts and turnips and fabric and stuff! Can Giran or Livia take another group to get supplies! Please!

She actually pants a little as she waits for an answer.
Last edited January 22, 2020 7:02 pm
Jan 22, 2020 7:11 pm
Giran comes to stand next to Ember. Even standing on the chair, she's not dramatically taller than he is, so he only has to look up a little bit to catch her eye. "I can put a group together to salvage some travel supplies. I grew up in that part of town," he says, sounding confident despite the fact that he's maybe a couple of years older than Ember at most. "I know where to look for that sort of thing."

He gives her a broad wink. "You can count on me."
Jan 22, 2020 10:52 pm
Yelnar suggests "We’ve got enough militia folk that we could put together a few groups to help find other groups if we give them clear rules of engagement. I’d like to go in to the College, might be another situation like the Hunter where martial capability is needed."
Jan 22, 2020 11:08 pm
As the meeting breaks up, with various groups chatting about their next steps and the associated logistics, Eanala speaks with a few people outside the meeting hall, who go out to different parts of the farming village. Within a half-hour, what looks like nearly the entire encampment -- hundreds of people, in any case -- has gathered outside the meeting hall, where a makeshift stage (a few boxes stacked up) has been erected.

Eanala climbs atop the 'stage' and calls out, "Quiet, everybody, please!"

There's enough curiosity about what she's going to say that a number of people do indeed quiet down, but it takes a few moments before the chatter dies down to a dull enough roar that she can be heard.

"As many of you know by now, there is a plan proposed to travel to the village of Viamard, a six-day ride to the west on the shore of the lake of the Shining City. Along the way, we hope to gather any additional refugees from the city and the surrounding countryside and take them with us, to help the townspeople of Viamard resettle their town and the area around it," she says.

"The people -- who many of you know by now -- who helped all of us escape the wreckage of Hara just a few days ago have come most recently from Viamard, and have helped those townsfolk make their village safe and welcoming for resettlement. There are opportunities for work rebuilding, reestablishing trade with nearby villages, working the fields now laying fallow, opportunities that have not been available in Hara since Martin Ghara and his city guard thugs squeezed their iron fist around our people! We can rebuild our lives, and help Viamard's citizens rebuild theirs. We can build something together that belongs to all of us!"

There is scattered cheering at these words, as Eanala's enthusiasm starts to become infectious.

"It will take work to prepare us for the journey, to heal those still suffering from injuries sustained that night, to gather food and equipment for the overland journey, but I know the people of Hara. I have grown up in Hara, spent my life among the citizens, rich and poor, fighting for our freedom from the oppression laid upon us since the end of the war. And I know that we will perservere against these challenges. We will rise to this challenge and show our strength and resilience, and we will make ourselves proud," she continues. "Some of you may have other plans. Other places you wish to go. Some of you may wish to stay here. To you, I say that I wish you the very best of outcomes, happiness and fulfillment. I hope that you will come with us to Viamard, to trust in our community and the community we hope to build, but no one will be forced to come along."

She goes on to describe a rough timeline, where the settlement and its people will leave within a few days at most, and that a small contingent will be traveling ahead to inform the people of Viamard of the plan, which will then return and meet the larger group along the road after establishing contact.

"Several of us will be available to answer questions, but for now, I ask you to start gathering your belongings, your family and friends, and consider what you will need for the journey. We are all here to support one another, and make a new life -- a stronger, more secure livelihood -- together."

With that, Eanala steps down and is quickly surrounded by people with questions. Livia stands nearby, making sure people don't crowd her. All in all, the crowd seems encouraged by her words. You see people nodding in agreement, talking to one another with an excitement you haven't heard much of in the past couple of days, smiling at the idea of this new life. There are a few dissidents, of course, but no one seems to be causing much trouble right now.
Jan 22, 2020 11:41 pm
Wil approaches Verrian.

I am good with just slipping out. I hate goodbyes. I am going to go and get Atticus ready for travel. I will be in the stables if you need me.
Jan 22, 2020 11:50 pm
Verrian chuckles. "All right. Would you mind picking out one of the horses for me? I don't dare skip saying some goodbyes, else I'll never hear the end of it."
Jan 23, 2020 12:30 am
I will pick out one for everyone.

Wil heads to wherever the horses are and prepare Atticus. If he sees Zhaar, he will let him know we will be leaving soon.
Last edited January 23, 2020 12:30 am
Jan 23, 2020 1:14 am
Soon enough, Ember shows up to wish Verrian farewell. She has a clearly put-on tough-guy attitude. Keep safe out there, you hear? She casually punches her in the arm. Then pauses, shaking a little. Next thing the Naucan knows, she’s wrapped in a surprisingly tight hug. Please be safe , she whispers in a panic. Coreene didn’t turn gray like you did, and the voices are getting loud again. Just be safe .
Jan 23, 2020 1:41 am
Verrian hugs the small sorcerer, patting her back. "We'll be careful," she tells her. "And we'll stay in touch with the discs. I'll be back before you have time to miss me. But little one..."

She switches to telepathy. @Ember::I'm fine. The gray was... She shakes her head slightly. "Don't worry. I'm going to be fine." Then she draws back slightly, frowning curiously at the girl. "What voices?"
Jan 23, 2020 1:46 am
Ember can tell Verrian is holding back, but now is not the time to push. She blushes, realizing she hasn’t told her.
I mean, it’s really just one voice, she says quietly. My, my mother. She tells me bad things, and with everything going on I- She looks away. I like having your voice in my head. You’re not a bad person. But she’s dead. So. Sorry I mentioned it.
Jan 23, 2020 1:55 am
Verrian looks into Ember's eyes, thinking. Actually, this revelation helps to explain a lot about Ember's behavior and decision-making.

@Ember:: I'm glad you told me. And when your mother's voice speaks, try answering her in mine, little one.
Jan 23, 2020 2:04 am
Ember looks back up at the Naucan, tearing up and not sure what to say. She clutches Verrian, almost too long. When she pulls back, her eyes are red, but she manages to smile. Thanks. I’m, um. I’m going to check on Lily and the kids before I go. I’ll see you soon. I promise.
Jan 23, 2020 5:45 am
Elora claps as the speech concludes. It's not particularly loud, and the swarm of people approaching Eanala dampens the sound, but it's clapping all the same. She says her short goodbyes to everyone, wishing them safe and to watch out for strangers.
Jan 23, 2020 2:35 pm
Swan sneaks away from the meeting, sitting under a tree and watching the crowd gather for the speech, then depart. His note paper out, he scrawls his impressions, moods, comparing them to the flight from Hara.

As he sees Verrian head out and Wil nearby with horses, he goes into his room, grabs his kit bag, tells Chloe she's a pretty bird (snap) nurses his finger and joins his traveling companions.
Jan 23, 2020 5:07 pm
As Ember takes her leave of Verrian, Giran comes up to ask the sorceress a couple of questions and pass on some thoughts about going into the city for supplies. That done, he approaches Verrian. "You know, I used to think that working with Eanala and the resistance was nerve-wracking enough," he says with a wondering shake of his head. "Then you came along. Every time I think, 'okay, this is big', something else comes up that makes it seem inconsequential. I don't know how any of you handle this insanity."
Jan 23, 2020 5:30 pm
Verrian is about to do what she'd normally do with anyone else - deflect, downplay the situation and her own competence. Project an image of calm confidence that helps the other person feel calm and competent, too.

The short bark of laughter is out before she even thinks. "What makes you think I'm handling it?"

Realizing that this probably did little to reassure Giran or make him feel more confident in the face of their enormous challenges, she clears her throat and tries to marshal some actual poise. "This is... an unprecedented situation. There's no blueprint for any of it, no manual or map. I think we're all just taking it one step at a time." She smiles. "Of course, it's easier to say that than to do it. But you're doing fine so far."
Jan 23, 2020 5:51 pm
Giran lifts his chin and puts on an air of disaffected calm. "Of course I am," he says smugly. But he can't hold the image for very long without breaking into a laugh. "I'm trying. I guess that's the best we can do, eh?"

He extends a hand toward Verrian, offering a handshake. "Be safe out there, please? I have all kinds of confidence that you and Willitan and Mr. Swan can handle yourselves, but... who knows what's waiting between here and there."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.