Chapter 7: Forward Scouting Thread

load previous
Mar 9, 2020 8:56 pm
The young woman still on her hands and knees near the campfire lets out a harsh screeching cry as the torches catch dry wood on fire. She jerks upright, back arched at an angle that must be painful, and before your eyes, one of the gashes left by the falchion begins to seal itself up before the girl once again goes limp. She can be seen breathing in great heaving gasps of air, and she says aloud in a stern voice that echoes around the clearing, "You will not steal from me again!"

Between this seeming act of defiance, Zhaar chopping savagely at its trunk, and the flames beginning to spread in its branches, the tree thrashes around even more violently now. It continues to flail at Zhaar, and a second branch animates and swings at Verrian.

78RPMLife sent a note to 78RPMLife

Rolls

Tree slam and damage (Zhaar) - (1d20+12, 2d6+7)

1d20+12 : (20) + 12 = 32

2d6+7 : (11) + 7 = 9

Tree slam and damage (Verrian) - (1d20+12, 2d6+7)

1d20+12 : (20) + 12 = 32

2d6+7 : (62) + 7 = 15

Crit confirm (Zhaar) - (1d20+12, 2d6+7)

1d20+12 : (19) + 12 = 31

2d6+7 : (12) + 7 = 10

Crit confirm (Verrian) - (1d20+12, 2d6+7)

1d20+12 : (5) + 12 = 17

2d6+7 : (42) + 7 = 13

Mar 9, 2020 9:14 pm
Swan combat rolls over to Verrian's side, dodging thorny rebukes from the Tree of Woe. He casts a spell again and touches her back too close some gaping wounds.

He begins singing a song of courage.
[ +- ] Inspire Courage +2
"Fire is raging on the battlefield
while Gyarna fights the war of the magekings
The army of Ardraven, the thunder, the storm...
so people are calling the brave and his sword
No time left to save the fool throne!"
Last edited March 10, 2020 1:03 am

Rolls

Acrobatics to avoid AOO - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Concentration to cast defensively DC 19 - (1d20+8)

(14) + 8 = 22

Cure Moderate Wounds - (2d8+5)

(13) + 5 = 9

Mar 9, 2020 9:19 pm
Seeing a new victim come within its reach, the tree flicks a branch out at Swan as he nears Verrian.

Rolls

AOO attack and damage - (1d20+12, 2d6+7)

1d20+12 : (2) + 12 = 14

2d6+7 : (46) + 7 = 17

Mar 9, 2020 9:50 pm
Verrian staggers as the tree's attacking branch tears her flesh, but Swan's swift application of healing eases the pain somewhat and helps restore her equilibrium. She sends him a fervent telepathic message of thanks, then shares with all three of her companions: @Wil, Swan, Zhaar: I'm going around the tree to flank it.

She darts around to position herself on the other side of the tree, opposite Wil and Zhaar, draws her rapier, and attacks with it and the burning torch.

Rolls

Say hello to my pointy friend - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Pointy friend damage - (1d6+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Nice leaves, shame if they BURNED - (1d20+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Fire damage - (1d2+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Sneak Attack damage - (3d6)

(666) = 18

Mar 9, 2020 10:05 pm
The flames continue to spread, and for anyone paying attention, it's clear that some internal struggle is raging inside the young woman as the tree starts to burn. Verrian's rapier finds a gap in the bark and sinks surprisingly far into the tree. As she draws the weapon back out, it becomes clear why. Given the amount of stinking yellow sap that clings to the blade, she must have found a rotten spot in the wood.
OOC:
Everyone make a DC 12 Fortitude save, please!
78RPMLife sent a note to 78RPMLife
Mar 9, 2020 10:09 pm
OOC:
Fortitude save

Rolls

Fortitude - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Mar 9, 2020 10:20 pm
Verrian grimaces at the disgusting yellow goo on her sword. @Wil, Swan, Zhaar: There's something rotten in the core of this tree.

That's when the stench actually hits her. She recoils from the sap as much as she can - which isn't a lot, since she's still holding the rapier. She is dismayed to feel sick to her stomach.
Last edited March 9, 2020 10:51 pm

Rolls

Fort save - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Mar 9, 2020 10:25 pm
What's that smell?

Rolls

Fortitude save - (1D20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Mar 10, 2020 4:01 am
Zhaar bellows at the pain of these blows, before the stench hits him.

It does nothing more than enrage him further however.

In response to Verrian’s telepathic message, he roars "GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" but you get the sense that it’s instinctual, and that Zhaar does not even necessarily realise the source of the message, nor is likely to have listened to it.
Last edited March 10, 2020 4:34 am

Rolls

Fortitude Save - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Power Attack Smash - (1d20+9)

(20) + 9 = 29

Crit Confirm - (1d20+9)

(1) + 9 = 10

Damage - (2d4+15)

(22) + 15 = 19

Mar 10, 2020 5:28 pm
The flames continue to spread in the rotting tree's branches, and it seems to lose all focus on the battle at hand. Acrid black smoke curls up from the flaming tree, which flails its branches about in helpless fury. Zhaar, in his rage, hammers once more at the trunk of the tree, which bursts open in a splash of stinking yellow goo. You watch in horrified fascination as the tree collapses, folding awkwardly on itself as it crumples to the ground, flames spreading rapidly as they reach the sap. Billows of black smoke that stings the eyes pour from the fallen tree, but the fire doesn't seem to be spreading beyond this one poor specimen.

Back near the campfire, the young woman rolls onto her back, staring up at the sky as she draws long, deep, shuddering breaths. She appears unhurt physically.
Mar 10, 2020 5:47 pm
Her stomach roils at the sight (and smell) of the yellow rottenness that pours from the bizarre, collapsed tree, and Verrian turns away from it as soon as she can tear her eyes away. She tries to concentrate on her companions. "Everyone okay?" she asks, knowing that they've all taken damage. She tries not to dwell on how embarrassing it would have been to be killed by a tree.

Her gaze drifts to the strange young woman lying near their campfire, and Verrian approaches her. She places the flaming log - now merely smoldering - back on the fire, then kneels beside the girl. "Are you all right?"
Mar 10, 2020 6:25 pm
Wil sees that Verrian is looking after the girl. Since he was unhurt in the battle he keeps his rapier and flaming stick in hand, in case another tree feels like taking a walk.
Mar 10, 2020 6:46 pm
Swan looks over Zhaar. "I have some healing powers remaining, but less powerful magics. I'll check on the others then see what we can do."
OOC:
About how close to death is he?
He goes to see Verrian and the forest girl. "Are you alright, lass? Will there be more?"

Rolls

Heal to assess Z - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Mar 10, 2020 8:18 pm
For a moment after the tree being collapses, Zhaar looks around, eyes still wide with fury, as though searching for another target. His eyes rest for a moment on the girl. Fortunately, Verrian tending to her so quickly seems to remind Zhaar of himself, and he almost seems to shrink as he withdraws back into himself, and he looks exhausted.

He stands there, panting, and responds to Uelten "Thankyou, now that the red fury has left me, that should be much easier to manage."

He starts looking himself over gingerly, then starts quietly making prayers to his ancestors, thanking them for bringing him through alive.
Mar 12, 2020 4:24 am
The girl rolls onto her side, propping herself up on one elbow. "There... won't be more," she says, answering Swan's question first. "The tree..." She coughs, wet and rattling. "It held the others in thrall. Held... me. It was rotting from within. It was once my... friend. My companion. My bond."

She carefully pushes herself to a sitting position. "As the corruption spread, it drew my humanity from me. I tried... to keep living the way I had, but it grew more jealous. More demanding. Vindictive."

She coughs again, until her breath comes in heaving gasps. "I can feel the corruption drying up... but it will take time."
Mar 12, 2020 4:29 am
Still feeling the ill effects of her reaction to the tree's corrupt essence as well as her not insignificant wounds, Verrian puts a comforting hand on the girl's shoulder. "Please, rest, take your time. Is there anything we can do to make you feel better?"
Mar 12, 2020 12:38 pm
Swan returns to Zhaar. "Will you accept healing this time? You seemed to fight against it last time, when the anger held you."
Mar 12, 2020 5:34 pm
Wil puts the flame back in the fire and sheaths his rapier. He goes over to the girl.

My name is Will. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. What is your name?
Mar 14, 2020 12:59 pm
Fatigued and noted, Zhaar cocks one eye open to look at Swan when he interrupts his prayers to his ancestors.

"I already explained all that Swan, did you take a knock to the head I missed somewhere?"
Mar 14, 2020 4:24 pm
Swan smirks. "You explained but two things, Jassin and shit, and Jassin left town."

Rolls

CLW - (1d8+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.