Chapter 7: Forward Scouting Thread

load previous
Mar 4, 2020 10:57 pm
78RPMLife sent a note to Moonbeam
Mar 4, 2020 11:08 pm
Taking a deep breath to ensure her own calm, Verrian shares a thought telepathically with her three companions. @Wil, Swan, Zhaar: She seems to be communicating with...the wind. Don't tense up, but be prepared to act if she doesn't convince it we're friendly.

She wonders what sort of defense would be effective against an attack by moving air.

She raises her voice just slightly, lust as the girl had done. "Is there anything we can do to convince you that we mean no harm?"
Mar 5, 2020 5:38 pm
Zhaar attempts to reason out what the lass is not saying.

"What you mean?"

Rolls

Sense Motive - (1d20+0)

(12) = 12

Mar 5, 2020 5:41 pm
The young woman turns from Swan to look at Verrian. Her eyes pinch in an expression of worry and she shakes her head quickly, taking a few steps forward. "I don't think you mean any harm, but..." she starts, and glances back over her shoulder at the forest. "I can't convince them of that."

Her eyes pinch shut tightly, and she claps her hands over her ears. "NO!" she screams. "Please don't! They... they won't..."

Like a marionette with cut strings, she slumps to her knees on the ground. "I'm sorry... I tried, but... I can't... control them all."

At the edge of the forest, there's a great creaking sound that you can feel in the ground at your feet. The trees around you begin swaying back and forth, and the breeze picks up speed. Scattered leaves swirl up in eddies of wind, bits of forest debris scampering across the ground. As you watch, one of the trees at the edge of the clearing starts to uproot itself.
OOC:
Roll initiative!

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Mar 5, 2020 5:48 pm
Why did it have to be an evil forest!

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Mar 5, 2020 5:56 pm
With alarm, Verrian looks left and right around the clearing. Still, she keeps her hands from her weapons. She sends a telepathic message to every sentient being in the vicinity.

@Everyone: We don't mean any harm. We intend only to rest for the night. Please don't force us to fight you! We have no argument with any of you!

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Mar 5, 2020 6:38 pm
The wind whips briefly from side to side, and the young woman lifts her head. Her eyes have turned completely black, and her mouth is slack and hanging open. She speaks, but you hardly recognize her voice. It comes from somewhere deep in her chest and rasps its way out her throat.

"You lie. Like all flesh creatures. YOU LIE!" she bellows. The blackness in her eyes swirls and fades briefly, and she lets out a weak cry of pain in her own voice. She reaches out toward Swan and cries haltingly, "You have to... destroy it. For... help... the forest. Me."

Her eyes darken again as whatever force controls her reasserts its dominance.
Mar 5, 2020 7:55 pm
Let the girl go, you are hurting her.

Rolls

Initiative - (1D20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Mar 5, 2020 8:15 pm
I hope The Guardian doesn't hear about this. Birdface would never let me hear the end of it.

Wil carefully grabs a stick from the fire. One end burning and the other not. Holding it in his off hand he draws his rapier and prepares to meet the tree.

Just when you think life can't get stranger.

I bet you thought time travel would be the weirdest thing we did this week.
Mar 5, 2020 8:43 pm
OOC:
"Battle map" is posted.

Green squares are other (non-animated) trees. I used Yelnar's token for Zhaar, and the girl's token is on the map as well.
Mar 5, 2020 9:27 pm
Swan casts Glitterdust on his face.
OOC:
Targeting the back square of his token so as to not get Verrian McRunsintotrouble in the 10' radius burst.
OOC:
He'll then get to his feet and move closer. I'll update the map.
Last edited March 5, 2020 9:29 pm
Mar 5, 2020 9:30 pm
Verrian also grabs a burning log from the campfire and runs directly toward the animated tree.

@Treebeard: If you won't respond to our offer of friendship, we'll defend ourselves.

Rolls

Hitting it with a torch, no idea how to roll - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Mar 5, 2020 9:38 pm
The tree is covered in glittering particles, and is now a shiny angry tree, but shows no signs of being a shiny angry blinded tree.

Rolls

Will save - (1d20+9)

(18) + 9 = 27

Mar 6, 2020 12:55 pm
Zhaar starts bellowing "NO! I will not stand for this", as he veers towards his rage, shaking with adrenaline as he brandishes his Falchion.

He then charges the tree creature, throwing all his might into the blow.
Last edited March 7, 2020 1:15 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Power Attack Raging Charge - (1d20+9)

(11) + 9 = 20

Damage - (2d4+15)

(32) + 15 = 20

Mar 8, 2020 1:41 am
Wil grabs a torch from the fire, draws his rapier and charges the tree. He takes a second to admire the lumberjack like attack that Zhaar just perpetrated on our barky foe, before trying to stab or ignite it himself.

Rolls

Rapier attack - (1D20+8)

(13) + 8 = 21

Rapier damage - (1D6+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Torch hit - (1D20+8)

(6) + 8 = 14

Fire damage - (1D2+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Mar 9, 2020 4:12 pm
Zhaar's falchion slashes deeply into the tree, and a yellowish sap oozes from the wound, smelling strongly of sulfur and rot. A tree cannot scream, but considering how it thrashes its limbs about, it's easy enough to tell that whatever malevolent force animates the tree, it's furious. Wil darts in and jabs at the tree with his rapier, sinking into the bark but not as far as it would against a fleshier foe. It was a solid touch, but it doesn't seem to have done as much harm as it should have. Though Wil waves his torch at the wooden enemy, neither his nor Verrian's fire attack manages to catch the wood alight.

The tree swings a surprisingly supple branch at Zhaar, taking its fury out on the one that injured it the worst.

78RPMLife sent a note to 78RPMLife

Rolls

Tree slammage and damage - (1d20+12, 2d6+7)

1d20+12 : (15) + 12 = 27

2d6+7 : (65) + 7 = 18

Mar 9, 2020 4:57 pm
Verrian makes a frustrated growl as both she and Wil fail to connect with their attacks, but the tree manages to do heavy damage to Zhaar. She swings her makeshift torch and tries again to set the tree aflame.

Rolls

Tree-o inferno - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Burn, baby, burn - (1d2+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Mar 9, 2020 5:03 pm
Swan steps closer to Zhaar, shuddering in empathy at the wolloping. Her touches him lightly (without washing his hand first) and says the arcane words that activate his powers.

Rolls

Concentration to cast defensively DC 19 - (1d20+8)

(12) + 8 = 20

Cure Moderate Wounds - (2d8+5)

(13) + 5 = 9

Mar 9, 2020 5:20 pm
Wil is unsure if the rapier will ever do damage, but gives it a go anyway.

Maybe I can stab the cut in the bark.

Rolls

Rapier swing - (1D20+8)

(9) + 8 = 17

Rapier damage - (1D6+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Burning branch swong - (1D20+8)

(15) + 8 = 23

Fire damage - (1D2+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Mar 9, 2020 7:47 pm
Zhaar screams in rage as he is hit by the tree.

As Uelten casts his healing spell upon him, Zhaar’s elaborate tribal tattoos sharpen and swarm to the site of the touch, and Uelten gets a sense that the Barbarian may resist the magic through pure obstinacy and force of will.
OOC:
Zhaar has the Superstitious feat - its how he survived the magical conflagration that killed his tribe. This means he is unable to be the voluntary target of a spell while raging, and has to make any save available to him. In this case, a Will save to half the damage or healing. Does a 14 pass?
Zhaar surges once more, completely unaware of Uelten’s efforts to help him, focussed purely on the being that must be destroyed in front of him.
Last edited March 9, 2020 7:54 pm

Rolls

Will Save vs Friendly Spell - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Power Attack Hit - (1d20+9)

(18) + 9 = 27

Critical Threat Confirmation - (1d20+9)

(7) + 9 = 16

Normal Hit Damage - (2d4+15)

(32) + 15 = 20

Critical Hit Damage - (2d4+15)

(34) + 15 = 22

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.