READ ME FIRST! OOC Character Creation Thread

load previous
Feb 2, 2020 8:04 pm
Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you with a mushroom dish.
Feb 2, 2020 8:24 pm
Khulod says:
Indeed, I don't. Hence my concern. I have visions of doom where men, hobbit and dwarf wield magic all of a sudden and that doesn't rhyme with what I expect of the setting.
So why wouldn't you first ask something closer to: "How could that happen? And how would it be handled?", instead of assuming I'm gonna instantly turn this into D&D?

Your concerns are noted, and to respond to them I will assure you I have no interest in turning Middle-earth into the Forgotten Realms. But also, please try to have some trust in me as a storyteller and DM, because if you can't, you might have troubles enjoying the game.
Feb 2, 2020 8:50 pm
Should I use a D&D character sheet or Custom?
Feb 2, 2020 8:54 pm
You can use whichever you wish. But the D&D one is probably the least amount of work to adapt.
Feb 2, 2020 9:29 pm
emsquared says:
We'll be using Point Buy for attributes.

Also, I do have to say wulfnor, that the idea of having a canon(?) character in the game as a PC makes me uncomfortable, as I don't know what your expectations are for that, or what liberties you might think that gives you.

If you want to do this, do not expect to have any special knowledge - even if it's knowledge that said character "should" have based on their canon (particularly regarding what's really going on in the background of the world, i.e. the canon meta-plot, for instance he won't know or believe Sauron is in Middle-earth nor who Aragorn really is), and especially don't expect any mechanical benefits - no advantage on checks with someone your PC "should" know, no Sanctuary in places where they may have lived or have good friends according to their canon.

Basically, you can play a character named Halbarad, son of Halbaron, but play them as if nothing you know about them as a Player ever has or ever will occur in this instance of Middle-earth...

My instinct is to say, no, but I'm willing to trust you to not try to take advantage of it.

Also be aware, AiME campaigns can easily span many years, so you very well may end up altering the story of Halbarad and never doing the things he does.

You can use the 5E character sheets and just add the AiME stuff in Notes section, or you can use the "Custom" option, which is just a blank sheet.
Well it's been fun, best of luck with the game!
Feb 3, 2020 2:47 am
Ugh, I missed the one line! Thanks for helping me find it.
Feb 3, 2020 3:24 am
Heh, not a problem.

I would rather receive that question all day, over: "Hey, can I play Strider's right hand man?" ... 😑
Feb 3, 2020 4:04 pm
So we've got a couple characters submitted. One player still waiting to hear from (though I believe I know what he wants to play, hopefully they do still plan on playing). And it sounds like it's shaking out something like:

Giblets, Rohan Slayer(?)
Khulod, Rohan Slayer
Smores, a "naturalist", possibly Scholar(?)
thatguy2, Minas Tirith Warrior
TinheadNed, Grey Mtn Dwarf Warden

For now I'm just gonna leave the group at 5 Players. Does the above sound right? Anything changed for anyone?

Anyone have any questions?
Feb 3, 2020 4:15 pm
I'm thinking a Hobbit Scholar. Working on the sheet today.
Feb 5, 2020 1:13 am
Just a heads up, Squadfather had to drop out for IRL reasons. I've brought on another player, thatguy.

I'll start reviewing PCs tonight, and maybe target opening up the IC story thread by this weekend, assuming we've got all PCs submitted.
Feb 5, 2020 1:49 am
I am also thinking a Man of Minas Tirith.
Feb 5, 2020 9:44 pm
Hey, took me a bit of time to get to grips with this website and find the threads haha.

I was hoping to carry over the Rohan Slayer I'd made for the last game but will have a think about changing if it looks like two of them, and a combat heavy group.
Feb 5, 2020 10:16 pm
Thanks for checking in Giblets.

I'm not bothered by two Rohan Slayers, you two could have a buddy thing going on even(?), but if you want to explore other options that's cool too.

Whatever interests you most.
Feb 5, 2020 10:44 pm
I'm the other slayer, and I took the envoy background and the squire, so I'm a bit more socially apt. Would make perfect sense for us to have come together and have a shared background.
Feb 5, 2020 11:47 pm
Thanks! Happy to change to something else though, the character I was playing before was a kind of exile from the rohan court so not sure an envoy would want to be seen with him!

I think I'll go a Wanderer, rather than us have two Slayers. Journey is such a big aspect of this that it will be handy to have one and I've always liked ranger-esque characters.

Probably will be Barding or Man of Lake Town. Will get it uploaded in next day or two, in time for starting this weekend if that's the aim!
Feb 7, 2020 12:20 am
OK, I've settled on a Barding Wanderer by the name of Astrid. Character sheets done if you need to take a look GM. Just gonna add a short bio at some point.

She's a wanderer, so would be entirely plausible that she's met Virar on her travels at some point.
Feb 7, 2020 3:50 am
Let's say we hid from wargs together, kept the fire going til morning.
Feb 7, 2020 9:43 pm
Just wanted to keep you all in the loop, still waiting on a couple PCs. Weekends are usually a time where I'm mostly unavailable, so this means we won't be starting the story quite yet.
Feb 7, 2020 11:40 pm
Sorry for my delay, work got unexpectedly busy this week.
Feb 8, 2020 12:34 am
Not a problem, I hadn't reviewed any of the PCs yet, and probably wouldn't have been able to get it done in time anyway.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.