Before we get started...

load previous
Apr 22, 2015 4:29 pm
I'm going through Alchemist rules, and I'm having trouble with a few things, one of which is discoveries. I assume stuff I get from a discovery counts against my uses per day, but at least on the PFSRD, it doesn't list levels for some discoveries (like Wings), so I'm not sure how often I can make a Wings potion.
Apr 22, 2015 4:32 pm
JoHoover - if you can buy the item with your lv 15 character creation allotment of gold, then yes it flies. If the Flute of Control isn't in the game system already, I'm afraid I can't approve it. I simply don't have the time to cross check to make sure it's balanced and fair, and to assign it an appropriate price point (also, I'm, in general, hesitant to allow any sort of 'mind control' effects, especially in play by forum as losing control of an NPC in the midst of combat suddenly splits the GM combat round into two combat rounds... which can significantly slow down a game).

Regarding the riding dog, again, it will need a cost (and to count against your gold allotment). The easiest solution to that is to do the following: Find a creature with a stat block you think is about the power level of the dog you want (don't worry about what the name of the thing is), determine it's CR, determine what level of summoning spell would summon such a creature, determine the cost of a wand for casting that summoning spell. Halve the wands cost (because your dog will be a real creature and so if it dies it's gone and cannot be resummoned). That's the cost you subtract from you gold for the riding dog. We rename the stat block you picked to "Riding Dog" and I'll make some adjusting to its abilities for thematic purposes (I recommend finding a similar kind of animal - a Black Hound, Tiger or something like that).
Apr 22, 2015 4:32 pm
Deus - Great solution :) I mean, if possible to thematically incorporate your item ideas into the items you've already purchased for yourself please do that!
Apr 22, 2015 4:38 pm
Keleth says:
I'm going through Alchemist rules, and I'm having trouble with a few things, one of which is discoveries. I assume stuff I get from a discovery counts against my uses per day, but at least on the PFSRD, it doesn't list levels for some discoveries (like Wings), so I'm not sure how often I can make a Wings potion.
On my reading it works like this: Those discoveries do not count against your uses per day. Instead, they grant you a special alchemical compound limited as described in the discovery. For wings, you get X minuets worth of wings potion per day. The easiest way to count would probably be having X potions (since the minimum length of Wings is 1 minute).

Reads to me like Discoveries like wings grant you a special ability, and the authors didn't take the time to write it out in a way that preserved the theme of the alchemist (instead treating them like any other Ex ability).
Apr 22, 2015 4:42 pm
Keleth says:
Based on my reading of Alchemist Discovries, the Wings discovery has a caster level minimum of 6th level. The effect as written says you have cater level in minutes per day of the Fly spell. Meaning if you take wings as your 6th level discovery you get 6 minutes of wings/flight a day. You may select Wings again with future discoveries as you level up. This adds your caster level to the daily duration again but no other effect is granted. So if you take it at 6th and 12th level (I'm not looking at an Alchemist level chart so I don't know if you get a discovery at 12th...this is just an example) you would then have 18 minutes of the Fly spell per day.

That is how I'm reading it. But it clearly states minimum 6th level.
Apr 22, 2015 5:17 pm
Hmm, that's a good point. Let me see if there's a way I can incorporate spell effects into a weapon and how much more that'd cost.

So spell storing is totally a thing, and works on spells up to 3rd level. Since I get access to Earth Shape as a 3rd level domain spell under Gerana's Earth domain, maybe I could translate that into a 1/day use of Earth Shape channeled through the weapon? It'd add about 30k to the cost of the existing weapon.

Edit: Scratch that, misread the post. Yeah I don't mind just sticking with a thematically appropriate weapon with a neat backstory.
Last edited April 22, 2015 5:18 pm
Apr 22, 2015 7:10 pm
Alright, I picked the tiger as my base animal stats (LINK: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/cat-great/tiger) and calculated the cost at 21k gc for the wand creation.

I changed the flute of control to a flute of Scrying with 3 charges per day.
Apr 22, 2015 9:41 pm
Cool. The Tiger block is a good fit for riding dog (you can retheme it as a riding dog of course but you use the Tiger stat block). As with the Eidolon, the riding dog will act on your initiative.
Apr 23, 2015 5:23 pm
I should have my character done today, though my class selection needs a final answer: if I took a few levels in Rogue, would my single-target bomb attacks be sneak attacks (if they're eligible)? Other versions of D&D and similar games explicitly list weapons that can deal SA damage; Pathfinder is more often, just saying if they're denied dex or flanked. I mean, if I'm a trained and board certified alchemist, wouldn't I know how to best hit someone with a bomb to hurt them more? :p
Apr 23, 2015 8:43 pm
@foolsmark, you mentioned some ruins in your tavern intro that I played off of but I was wondering if there was a map available for me to look at to pull some names from? I realize that playing a bard that has interacted with nobility from across the lands is going to be hard if I have no idea what the kingdoms/map looks like.

I did a quick google search and didn't find anything.
Apr 24, 2015 1:02 am
Sorry @JoHoover, I just made that up whole cloth as I was writing. I decided that while Singer isn't a genius (only 10 Int.), she is an amateur archiologist. She is maxed out in the Linguist skill so she can translate old writings. So I made the ancient civilization older than any elf could be. So when she says she just got back from the ruins she was at a dig. I think this 'profession' works for a Summoner because her Eidolon can back her up if she gets in a tight spot in a ruin or cave or something. The same goes for the two people she was with. I just made them up. They may be no one or they may come up as NPCs if Candi runs with it. If you have a history of rubbing elbows with nobility, I say you are free to make up details about those two families as you see fit.
Apr 24, 2015 2:00 am
Sorry, realized that bombs increase at the same rate as sneak attacks, so doesn't make sense they'd stack. I think I'm gonna setup a 4 Rogue/11 Alchemist.
Apr 24, 2015 3:21 pm
@JoHoover - there is technically a world this game is set in (the Dungeonlands universe) however, this adventure is mighty convenient because (as you will all soon see) it fits neatly into *any* world. So, make things up as you feel fit - however, remain consistent with whatever things have been established (and things are only established by someone posting about them!).

@Keleth - I love it when questions answer themselves.
Apr 24, 2015 3:39 pm
Awesome. I wasn't sure if it was like D&D that has a very well established world or not. Didn't want to break anything.
Apr 24, 2015 3:44 pm
Fair concern, and I appreciate it.

Fortunately, it's a totally open RP for this game (included game-world content).
Apr 27, 2015 2:24 pm
Four players have checked in at the Inn. I believe that we are just waiting on Keleth. Once you tag in, we'll get rolling :)

In the meantime, I'm going to have some fun ;)
Apr 27, 2015 2:30 pm
Yup, character and post will be in today.
Apr 27, 2015 2:32 pm
Heh, well I won't get to have my fun for long then :P

(for those wondering, I DO NOT plan on running a GM PC - that's a big taboo in my books)
Apr 28, 2015 4:02 am
Character with basics are in. I'll be adding more of it tomorrow (I was at work till 9 today...). I'll add an RP post now.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.