Character Generation Thread

load previous
Jan 16, 2022 3:20 am
WhtKnt says:
You get one free set of shoes/boots and clothes.
Whew! At least I won't be naked under my armor!
Quote:
Your AC is 3.
Thanks! How is that calculated again? I might have to downgrade armor to afford a few other things.

Imy sheet's probably still missing a bunch of stuff. Can you help me out? Thanks!
Quote:
That is one sweet template!!!
So good! Thanks, @the_puppeteer!
Jan 16, 2022 3:39 am
To help with the armor, you start at 10 and subtract the value listed for your armor/dex.

Also, I didn't realize the custom sheet got a nice new upgrade, cuz I was using tables in a similar way, but in no way as nice as that.
Jan 16, 2022 6:21 am
Didn't want to have to keep going back to the rulebook, so I inserted this into the Class Abilities section:
[ +- ] Fighter to Hit Table
Jan 16, 2022 7:31 am
The sheet still needs a little work. Good call on adding the 'to hit' table. I had thought that you always subtract your opponent's AC from your thac0 to get the number you need to hit, but on closer inspection, I see that is not strictly the case. I didn't include a place to list languages, either. Or spells, or thief skills. What else would I need to add for the other classes?

To-hit table
Theif skills
Spell List (including notation for prepared spells)
Number of spell slots by level
Languages
Deity
Turn undead table
Last edited January 17, 2022 9:27 am
Jan 16, 2022 8:15 am
Yeah, it's something I definitely noticed between 1st and 2d edition. The subtract-type is in the latter.
Jan 16, 2022 3:28 pm
This is my format for Hubar.

HP: 15 (15 Left) Original: 8,2,5
AC: 3 (Banded & Shield)
THAC0: 20
AC: -10 -9 -8 -7 -6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
To hit: 25 24 23 22 21 20 20 20 20 20 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10
INIT: No Adjustment
SPEED: 90' (Banded)

Spells Taken: 4 hours to rememorize plus 15 minutes per spell level for each spell. Material required
4x1st: Command, 2x Cure Light Wounds, Light
3x3cn: Find Traps, Hold Person, Silence 15' Radius

Turning Undead: 4 Skeleton, 7 Zombie, 10 Ghoul, 13 Shadow, 16 Wight, 19 Ghast, 20 Wraith

Gear: Currently 64# (74# -10# due to STR 12) with 90' move.

Banded & Small Shield: Waterskin, Wooden Boccob Symbol (eye balanced on a pedestal inside a pentagon.), Silver Wedding Ring
Heavy Flail
Backpack: 4 Continual Light Rocks, 2 Continual Darkness Rocks, 10 Beeswax Candle, Flint and Steel, Hooded Lantern, 5 Lamp Oil, Linen Robe (Purple garments with gold trim.), 2x Large Sacks, Common Clothing Outfit
Large Belt Pouch: 36gp, 9sp

It is followed by:

Class/Level: Cleric of Boccob/3
Alignment: Neutral Good
EXP/Next Level: 4675/6000, Experience bonus: 10%
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 198#
Race/Gender: Human/Male
Skin: Sightly Tanned with Cheap Beard and Mustache
Hair: Short Brown Hair
Eyes: Dark Blue Eyes
Native: Saltwater
Languages: Common, Goblish, Orcish
Vision: Normal
Profession: EX-Butcher and now Priest of Boccob
Place: Small hovel in the outskirts of Saltmarsh
Marriage Status/Children: Married/No kids

Description: 6'2", 198#, 24 Years Old, Human/Male, Sightly Tanned Skin with Cheap Beard and Mustache, Short Brown Hair, Dark Blue Eyes

Appearance: Banded & Small Shield, Waterskin, Wooden Boccob Symbol (eye balanced on a pedestal inside a pentagon.), Silver Wedding Ring, Heavy Flail, Backpack, & Large Belt Pouch

It lets you see everything that you need and isn't cluttered. Color makes it nicer too.
Last edited January 16, 2022 3:30 pm
Jan 20, 2022 7:20 am
the_puppeteer says:
The sheet still needs a little work. Good call on adding the 'to hit' table. I had thought that you always subtract your opponent's AC from your thac0 to get the number you need to hit, but on closer inspection, I see that is not strictly the case. I didn't include a place to list languages, either. Or spells, or thief skills. What else would I need to add for the other classes?

To-hit table
Theif skills
Spell List (including notation for prepared spells)
Number of spell slots by level
Languages
Deity
Turn undead table
1. I suggest swapping positions of Missile Hit and Surprise so that Missile Hit and Melee Hit end up on the same table column.

2. I like how you built the to-hit table right into the sheet using a table. I'm weighing whether I like it better than what I did (put the whole table from the book in there). On one hand, your way will require updating every level-up. On the other hand, yours way looks better and is easier to read. Ok, I'm changing my sheet.

3. How many languages can I speak? The entry on Human doesn't say, so I'm assuming Common. INT is 11, so do I just add 2 languages? How do I know whether I'm literate or not?
Last edited January 20, 2022 7:21 am
Jan 20, 2022 7:37 am
Jabes, you get two languages besides your native tongue (Common for humans). An interesting retrospective on languages in the Word of Greyhawk can be found here. Literacy is implied unless you decide otherwise for flavor.
Jan 20, 2022 8:17 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
1. I suggest swapping positions of Missile Hit and Surprise so that Missile Hit and Melee Hit end up on the same table column.

2. I like how you built the to-hit table right into the sheet using a table. I'm weighing whether I like it better than what I did (put the whole table from the book in there). On one hand, your way will require updating every level-up. On the other hand, yours way looks better and is easier to read. Ok, I'm changing my sheet.
Good call on swapping surprise and missile hit. I had taken that section of the sheet directly from a pdf that I downloaded from the resources section of osricrpg.com. I like to think that I would have noticed that eventually. It is better placement from an organizational perspective.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Edit: On second thought, a quick glance around my office suggests that I would probably never notice a better way to organize anything.
Last edited January 20, 2022 8:18 am
Jan 20, 2022 8:49 am
It might interest you to know that the latest site update now supports "grid" and "zebra" in the BBCode for tables. I'm still tweaking it, but here's my updated character sheet.
Jan 20, 2022 8:51 am
My biggest problem right now is I can't afford a crossbow (not to mention, I only have 2 days worth of food). I can't bring myself to downgrade armor to do it LOL!
Jan 20, 2022 12:39 pm
How many weapon proficiencies does a fighter get at 1st level? Do you gain more as you gain levels? Sorry, been scouring the rules document but I seem to be missing the relevant text. Thanks!
Last edited January 20, 2022 12:43 pm
Jan 21, 2022 6:30 am
Fighters get four at first level and then an additional one every two levels thereafter. They take a -2 penalty with using weapons with which they aren't proficient. You can spend a proficiency to specialize in a weapon with which you are already proficient to gain one extra attack every two rounds with the weapon, a +1 bonus to hit, and a +2 bonus to damage. That can be done a second time to raise the hit and damage bonus' to +3. The second specialization is only applicable to melee weapons that are not polearms or two-handed swords. Also, earlier in this thread (I think it was in this thread) the GM wrote that characters needed to have a couple of levels under their belt before taking advantage of that last tier of specialization.

Please correct me if I have any of that wrong, WhtKnt.
Jan 21, 2022 8:04 pm
Nope, you've got it right!
Jan 21, 2022 10:28 pm
@WhtKnt , I had initially spent weapon proficiency slots on the short sword because I was trying to keep Rendel's movement rate at 90'. When I realized that wasn't going to happen I purchased gear that I had decided he could do without but forgot to upgrade his weapon before I submitted the character sheet. Pending your approval, I have changed his weapon to a long sword and adjusted his coins and encumbrance to account for the change.
Jan 22, 2022 6:02 am
No problem!
Jan 22, 2022 1:06 pm
the_puppeteer says:
Fighters get four at first level and then an additional one every two levels thereafter. They take a -2 penalty with using weapons with which they aren't proficient. You can spend a proficiency to specialize in a weapon with which you are already proficient to gain one extra attack every two rounds with the weapon, a +1 bonus to hit, and a +2 bonus to damage. That can be done a second time to raise the hit and damage bonus' to +3. The second specialization is only applicable to melee weapons that are not polearms or two-handed swords. Also, earlier in this thread (I think it was in this thread) the GM wrote that characters needed to have a couple of levels under their belt before taking advantage of that last tier of specialization.

Please correct me if I have any of that wrong, WhtKnt.
Thanks for the help! I'll edit my character sheet tonight.
Jan 25, 2022 5:26 am
Character's languages.

Venemar can speak Elvish. Having seen WhtKnt's post of 20/1/22 with the languages I will choose Old Oeridian. I have updated his character sheet.
May 4, 2022 11:33 pm
[ +- ] WhtKnt says re: HP
Here goes for Venemar's HP for level 3

Looks like it is 6 this level then.
Last edited May 4, 2022 11:33 pm

Rolls

Hit Points for level 3 - (d10)

(2) = 2

May 9, 2022 12:53 pm
Albionus levelling rolls.

Albionus learns the Web spell. He gains 1hp (unles there are rules for rerolling hp, don't recall).
Last edited May 9, 2022 12:54 pm

Rolls

Hit points for level 3 - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Learning Web (target <66) - (1d100)

(16) = 16

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.