New to RPGs

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 12, 2020 10:49 pm
Hello, everyone. My name is Psychogentleman and I've been interested in rpgs for the past few years now. Sadly, I have limited experience in actually playing them. I've ran two 1 player sessions of the call of cthulhu scenario paper chase, I'm currently playing ironsworn solo, and that's about it at the moment. The fact that call of cthulhu is the main game I want to play makes finding players (especially in person) a little difficult. A couple of days ago I discovered that pbp is a thing, thought it could be fun, heard from reddit that this was a good site for it, and here I am.

As you could probably guess if you got this far, I am mainly interested in call of cthulhu. Particularly interested in running call of cthulhu as keeper. As both a fan of lovecraft's stories, and someone who's attempting to write a horror novel, it seems like that could be fun. I only have the quick-start rules so far, but I'd be happy to try running the haunting and edge of darkness for anyone interested.

Hopefully, I'll meet some new people and we'll all have fun.
Mar 12, 2020 10:53 pm
Welcome! I think we have a few CoC games going and people willing to play it.
Mar 12, 2020 10:57 pm
Welcome :)
Mar 12, 2020 10:59 pm
Welcome! We have at least one very avid CoC/Delta Green GM here on GP. Hopefully you'll find a game/many games soon :)
Mar 12, 2020 11:41 pm
Welcome!

I've played the Ironsworn solo a little bit too and quite enjoyed it, but there's just something about getting external interaction from others to influence the narrative that is so good, so it doesn't scratch that itch. Have you tried playing it with two or more people? I've only played solo so far.

I've never played CoC, but there's a few people on here that do. I've been intimidated to play because I've never been that into horror, but maybe I should give it a try sometime.
Mar 12, 2020 11:46 pm
Welcome Psychogentleman! I learned to play CoC here, and there are several GMs running games. As could be expected, there is player as character attrition so there are periodic requests for new blood to join.

Lastly, as a published writer myself (including horror), we have a small writers community here and try and encourage each other to write morer and betterer.
Mar 12, 2020 11:55 pm
Chalrytharendir says:
Welcome!

I've played the Ironsworn solo a little bit too and quite enjoyed it, but there's just something about getting external interaction from others to influence the narrative that is so good, so it doesn't scratch that itch. Have you tried playing it with two or more people? I've only played solo so far.

I've never played CoC, but there's a few people on here that do. I've been intimidated to play because I've never been that into horror, but maybe I should give it a try sometime.
I tried playing Ironsworn with 1 other person. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for the other player since the rules are completely different from D&D. As for CoC, maybe you can try it out once I figure out how to set up a game here. We'll be using the quick-start rules which are free to download (just don't read chapter 2 as a player) and, who knows, maybe you'll end up enjoying it.
Mar 13, 2020 12:31 am
Welcome!
Mar 13, 2020 12:49 am
Hello and welcome! I'm one of the big CoC-heads on the site here, and there are a couple others. There have also been a lot of folks new to the site over the past couple weeks that have been applying to my CoC games lately, so I'm sure you'll find interest!

These people who say they're not into horror or bad at investigation... they don't know what they're missing! Always exciting to see the horror cadre here on GP swell its ranks.
Mar 13, 2020 1:04 am
Welcome (from another of those CoC Keepers :))
Mar 13, 2020 1:13 am
Well I guess I better find out what I'm missing. Seems like a good opportunity to learn since you're going to use the quick start rules. Send me a message when you're ready to set up your game and I'll apply. Also, if you want to try Ironsworn with two or more players again at some point, I'd be interested.
Mar 13, 2020 1:34 am
Welcome to the community, Psychogentleman! I learned to play CoC here as well. Lotta great folks playing horror here. I wanted to try Ironsworn solo, but couldn't quite get that started. I really should reattempt.

Don't forget to check out the New GP Member Guide.

New games are always popping up. If you watch the Games Tavern I'm sure you'll find one in no time!

If you're interested in spectating, here is an index of public games.

We'd love to have you join us on the Discord server as well for real time chat about the site, RPGs in general, and just about anything!

Happy gaming!
Mar 13, 2020 2:16 am
I will, Chalrytharendir, and thank you all.
Mar 13, 2020 3:11 am
Welcome! Always happy to see more fans of investigative horror around. You'll find that CoC has an avid cohort here.
Mar 13, 2020 10:26 am
Welcome to the site, and I hope you have a good time here [I'm relatively new too, but it seems like a nice place!]. I can't help you much with cthulu stuff, since everything Lovecraft was afraid of is what I love about existance [ Science, math, the fact the universe is so impossibly large and we are infinitesimally small within it just means there is always more to explore and learn to me ] and I don't 'get' horror according to my friends, but I can at least wish you well in finding plenty of players!
Mar 13, 2020 8:34 pm
Hello and welcome!

Len

Mar 22, 2020 6:51 am
Welcome!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.