Mar 9, 2016 6:54 pm
Zangua mulls over the name Wormfellow.

Rolls

History - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Mar 9, 2016 6:55 pm
Neither has Zangua ever heard of a "Wormfellow."
Mar 9, 2016 7:44 pm
Mordred walks the perimeter of the room, beginning with the southern passage, to see if the exits give any clue as to their eventual destination.
Mar 9, 2016 7:58 pm
"Wormfellow?" Leth asks, then looks suspiciously back towards the previous chamber, thinking of the mound of dirt.

"Perhaps we should be on the lookout for giant worms..." He says to the group, before shifting forward to examine the pit, looking especially for more signs of recently disturbed earth - if there was a "wormfellow" about - and if it was anything like it's name implied - Leth wanted to know about it.
Last edited March 9, 2016 7:58 pm

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Mar 9, 2016 7:58 pm
The southern exit leads to a rounded chamber about 25' wide. A stone container -- a sarcophagus, maybe -- sits near the west wide of the chamber. It is covered in graffiti. A few old ceramic jugs and bowls are next to it, some of them broken.

The western exit leads to a chamber of identical dimensions. There is a pile of wood in the middle of this chamber, small logs and large twigs, nearly blackened by rot and giving off an unpleasant fungal odor.

The northern exit leads to another identical chamber, but this one is empty. There is a small tunnel leading out of the north end of this chamber.
Mar 9, 2016 8:01 pm
Looking down the edge of the pit, Leth can see another earthen catwalk bridge about thirty feet below, running north-south. Beyond that, it's too dark to see anything. There are no other signs of disturbed soil.
Mar 9, 2016 8:15 pm
Leth relays this to the group.

"Here's my thoughts." He says, to whoever is listening. "I'm assuming the message in Thieve's Cant was left as a guide, to point us down the correct pathway to the 'happy hideout', whatever that may be. I could be very wrong in that assumption - it may mean nothing to us at all - but that's the assumption I'm making for now. If that's the case, then "trust in wormfellow" would mean that we should take whichever tunnel is indicated by wormfellow, whatever that is. The question remains, then, who - or what - is wormfellow? And how would it indicate to us which way we should take?" At this point, Leth is more thinking out loud than anything else. "Was one of these tunnels eaten out of the earth by a large worm? Is there a worm around here that frequents one of these tunnels? Is there a sign of a worm hidden somewhere in this chamber that could give us a hint? Or, like the worm, should we dig deeper into the ground, and rappel down to the second bridge in the pit?"

He thinks for a moment.

"Or, maybe I'm overthinking this entirely too much, and the message is nothing more than graffiti." He finishes with a shrug.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Mar 9, 2016 8:24 pm
The dirtpile looks like it could have been made by a giant worm of some sort, but the actual tunnels here were clearly made with deliberation and do not look at all like worm burrows.

All three rooms adjoining the domed chamber with the bridged pit are dead ends, except for the north room, with the small tunnel continuing northward.
Mar 9, 2016 8:34 pm
"The signpost was in an archaic form of the Cant, while this is modern. It's possible that this message was left well after the fact for the purpose you suggest, but I'm not sure they are related. Personally, I'm inclined to at least try the northern passage, but I like the idea of getting down to that lower bridge and heading south as well."
Mar 9, 2016 8:41 pm
"Let's see if we can find any trace that Zora - or anyone for that matter - has passed by here recently. Look around everyone."
Last edited March 9, 2016 8:42 pm

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Mar 9, 2016 8:45 pm
Leth nods. "That's just what I was thinking. Our goal here isn't necessarily to get to Hazard - it's to find Zora. And it bothers me that we haven't seen any sings of her passage yet, aside from possibly the stakes in the floor above. If they descended into the pit here, you'd think we'd be able to see some indication of that... so maybe the north passage is our best bet."

Rolls

Survival (tracking, looking for signs of passage) - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Mar 9, 2016 8:51 pm
There's no dead giveaways of anyone's passage through here, but the ground does look like it could have been trod upon in recent days.

Mordred takes a second look at the south room. There's a few inches of slimy brown water in the sarcophagus, and sticking out from the wall above it, a few inches of copper rod capped with a tarnished, upside-down animal head -- a wolf or bear or something of that sort.
Mar 9, 2016 8:51 pm
At the tiefling's request, Zangua paces around the room, attempting to discern something out of the apparent nothing. He at least has the wisdom to try and stay out of any previously-created tracks so as not to muddy the waters... so to speak.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Mar 9, 2016 9:08 pm
Secret door! Mordred approaches the sarcophagus to examine the rod. Is it a lever or handle? Could it be pushed or pulled, or is it embedded in the wall?
Mar 9, 2016 9:10 pm
OOC:
My next suggestion was going to be to check the sarcophagus!
Mar 9, 2016 9:11 pm
It's a 1" thick rod sticking out about 6" from the wall. The animal head is about 2" across. You can try manipulating it.
Mar 9, 2016 9:18 pm
Maybe everyone get in the southern chamber, in case it spins around or something?

Mordred will wait until everyone who wants to be is in the chamber, and then monkey with the rod.
Last edited March 9, 2016 9:18 pm
Mar 9, 2016 9:19 pm
Please describe to me exactly what you will attempt to do with the rod.
Mar 9, 2016 9:35 pm
You are going to have to at least buy me dinner first, Octo.

Mordred will rotate the rod slowly clockwise, through at least 180° so the animal head is upright.
Mar 9, 2016 9:58 pm
Now back to D&D After Dark...

The rod itself doesn't rotate, but on a hunch, Mordred grasps the rod and gives the head a forceful twist.

With the animal head turned upright, a thin trickle of water begins to drain from the end of the rod, spattering down into the sarcophagus.
load next

Thread locked