Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
Mar 7, 2016 6:53 pm
OK, I guess Election 2016: Tunnel Edition continues? I'll vote Happy Hideaway (the SW passage). If others want to linger here for something, that's OK, but not too long.
Mar 7, 2016 7:53 pm
"What are the Xs for?" Zangua asks aloud. Without touching them, he checks their placement, distance, and arrangement to see if there's anything that could be inferred.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Mar 7, 2016 8:03 pm
Given that the "bricks" of this wall are made of bone, you could most likely break through it without great difficulty.

The Xs look a bit like defensive obstacles/cover to Zangua.
Mar 7, 2016 8:11 pm
Zangua expresses a hypothesis. "Perhaps a battle took place in here? Someone then bricked-up the exit as a warning?" He looks around on the floor to see if there are any signs of an old fight: broken arrows, bits of armor, dried blood stains, or bone.
Mar 7, 2016 8:14 pm
It's hard to tell what may have stained this earthen floor in days gone by, but there's no battle detritus or any other interesting objects to be found. Zangua does find a copper piece, tarnished and worn nearly smooth.
Mar 7, 2016 8:58 pm
"This has all been here since before Zora was born," Mordred says, gesturing at the chamber and the skull wall. "She didn't come through here, and so it's a dead end as far as I am concerned. Let's try another passage."
Mar 8, 2016 9:26 am
"Aye, interesting to be sure, but not the way Zora came," agrees Felor.

Happy Hideaway is as good as any.
Last edited March 8, 2016 9:26 am
Mar 8, 2016 5:12 pm
The party backtracks to the crossroads chamber and heads down the southwest tunnel.

This tunnel, similar to the others so far, extends about 60' to the southwest before angling due west. The tunnel declines a bit, but not nearly as steeply as the last one. After running west another 60' the tunnel ends in a 10' wide, rounded terminus. There is a hole in the floor here about three and a half feet wide. Two iron stakes are driven into the ground near the right edge of the hole.
Mar 8, 2016 5:16 pm
Felor cautiously approaches the hole and sticks the glowing end of his spear in.
Mar 8, 2016 5:18 pm
Zangua kneels by the iron stakes. "Pitons, maybe," he muses aloud, then peers into the hole.
Mar 8, 2016 5:28 pm
The hole extends down quite a ways, farther than Felor's spear can illuminate.

There appear to be flat stones driven into the sides of the hole at regular intervals, which could be used as holds for climbing.
Mar 8, 2016 6:00 pm
Mordred gazes into the darkness (60' darkvision) to see if he can make out the end of the shaft or any other issues with the climbing surfaces that would make descent (and eventual ascent) dangerous.

Map Update
http://i.imgur.com/6hh7TJf.jpg?1
Last edited March 8, 2016 6:02 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Mar 8, 2016 6:10 pm
It looks like the shaft descends about 50'. Mordred sees no hazards at the bottom, only earthen floor.
Mar 8, 2016 6:12 pm
Your map looks so good, I feel bad pointing out that the crossroads room is oriented the wrong way. Doesn't make much difference for your navigational purposes, though.
Mar 8, 2016 6:13 pm
I was actually going to re-do it to a better scale anyway, so thanks.
Mar 8, 2016 6:14 pm
And the error was totally my fault, for transposing the numbers when I described the room. Sorry folks!
Mar 8, 2016 6:16 pm
Mordred climbs down quietly, checking as carefully as possible to make sure there is nothing waiting for him at the bottom before dropping out of the shaft.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Acrobatics - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Mar 8, 2016 6:21 pm
Shamush peers down after Mordred and murmurs, "This hideaway is getting less and less happy."
Mar 8, 2016 6:23 pm
"Weird place to put a privy," Zangua mutters, watching the tiefling disappear into the hole.
Mar 8, 2016 6:27 pm
About 8' from the floor, the shaft opens up, so that you're climbing down the east wall of the room you've now entered.

This area is 40'x20'. The west end opens to a large, cavernous chamber. You can hear a faint dripping sound coming from that direction.

In the middle of this room, near the north wall, is a mound of churned-up earth, like a giant molehill, about 5' wide and 3' high. It looks damp, and it still has an earthy smell.
load next

Thread locked