Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
Mar 2, 2016 4:21 pm
*Thinks back to Professor Turpin's Cant 101 class at the Guild*

Rolls

Ye Olde Theeve's Cant - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Mar 2, 2016 4:27 pm
As the party studies the cavern and the markings, Zangua leans over to Shamush and whispers, "What's a schooner?"
Mar 2, 2016 4:52 pm
Felor finds bits of charred bone and wood on the ground, old tracks and scuffs, and other evidence that this chamber has seen a lot of use, but none of it strikes him as particularly recent.

Mordred examines the writing, and after a moment, it starts to make sense. Blocks of text are arranged like spokes on a wheel, corresponding to the various tunnels leading out of this chamber. The one the entered from is "the elk's asshole." Going clockwise (to the east), the next tunnel is "three twisty vines," then "new goblin city," "happy hideaway," and "royal road."
Mar 2, 2016 4:59 pm
Mordred explains the ancient road sign to the rest of the party.

Do any of those names mean anything to Mordred, as far as which one is likely heading towards Hazard? I'm thinking Royal Road, personally?
Last edited March 2, 2016 5:01 pm

Rolls

History - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Insight - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Mar 2, 2016 6:03 pm
None of these mean anything to you, but for your Insight roll, I'll throw you a bone: after you connect Hazard to "royal road," you remember that to the best of your knowledge, Hazard has never been a monarchy.
Mar 3, 2016 1:16 pm
Felor listens to to Mordred's translation of the writings, brow furrowed as he tries to decipher any meaning from the directions.

Rolls

History skill check - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Mar 3, 2016 4:49 pm
Felor suspects that first one might be a reference to the fact that the tunnel they came from exits to the east end of the Elkfang Hills, but none of the others fit into any particular frame of reference for him.
Mar 3, 2016 4:52 pm
In that case, I vote for heading towards New Goblin City, as it is the only one that promises an urban destination of any sort, and plus we get to fight gerblins.
Mar 3, 2016 6:34 pm
Assuming the group makes these findings known, Zangua finally speaks, "Does your friend know how to read this, too? Otherwise how do you know she went through the one you're thinking of?"
Mar 3, 2016 7:02 pm
Yeah, Mordred translated for the group, and explains his thoughts about which direction to go aloud.

"I'm almost certain she doesn't know Thieves' Cant and would never be able to read this sign, but she may have had a guide or other directions. To be honest, it's nothing more than a hunch, so I'd love to hear other ideas."
Mar 3, 2016 7:21 pm
I may be forgetting, but did we establish that she wanted something from the goblins? Are the Badgerways just a place she's traveling through to get somewhere else, or do we not know enough? Seems like the Royal Road might be the place to go if she's passing through, and the Happy Hideaway if she's just here to lay low.
Mar 3, 2016 7:43 pm
Quoth Harmon Koal:
Quote:
The ranger Kligson found me and Rolley at the store and told us he'd been talking to a girl at the Toad and Skull, a young thing no more than seventeen or eighteen, who wanted him to show her to a passage through the Badgerways to Hazard.
You haven't received any specific intel regarding goblins.
Mar 3, 2016 7:50 pm
We know that she was heading to Hazard for some reason.
Quote:
She was looking to hire Kligson, and Kligson went looking for her after she ran off. Haven't seen him back here yet. Kligson thought the girl was touched in the head, y'see. Talking madness about witches following her. He told her he'd take her through the Badgerways to Hazard but he knew that'd be the end of them both.
ETA: I'm suggesting New Goblin City because of the "City" part, since Hazard is the only city near here, and none of the other routes sound urban. Maybe Hazard was founded by goblins?
Last edited March 3, 2016 7:52 pm
Mar 3, 2016 11:26 pm
Maybe a city full of goblins is a hazard? Either way, Vad would much rather head to someplace urban than someplace in the wilds.
Mar 4, 2016 9:52 am
The directions are cryptic enough that I'm fairly certain that "Goblin City" wouldn't just literally be a goblin city. Given we have pretty much no idea, we may as well just pick any one.

(cue: we stumble into a goblin city...)
Last edited March 4, 2016 11:49 am
Mar 4, 2016 1:27 pm
Mordred looks around at the detritus scattered about to see if it gives him any clue as to which way Zora might have gone.

Rolls

Investigation/Nature/Survival (all the same modifier, use whichever is appropriate) - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Mar 4, 2016 2:02 pm
OOC:
Sory for the inactivity, folks. Busy week working a conference. Today's the last day though, so hopefully I'll be more active after tonight.
Leth glances around the chamber after hearing Mordred's description of the "sign". He is trying to gain his bearings and sense of direction to see of all the passageways, which tunnel seems to at least start off pointing the most towards Hazard. (Which would be south west, right? Unless I've lost all sense of direction myself. Which is pretty common.). He also carefully studies the ground to see if maybe the footprints - or any other signs of passage - had resurfaced, perhaps giving them a clue as to which way they should go.

Rolls

Insight (which passage starts in the most Hazard-ly direction?) - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Survival (tracking, looking for signs of passage) - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Mar 4, 2016 5:01 pm
There is evidence that small fires have been built here, meals eaten. There are arrows embedded in the south wall and an offal pit off to the northeast. However, none of it looks recent, and none of it suggests where Zora might have gone, if she indeed passed through here.

Hazard is to the south, maybe a few degrees to the southwest.
Mar 4, 2016 6:38 pm
I dunno guys, I think going to a goblin city is maybe a bad idea, but it could be my deeply-ingrained D&D racism talking. Feels like we might as well start marinating ourselves now and pouring diced vegetables on our heads before we go in. But I won't argue about it much, as I'm likely getting out of character for the touched-in-the-head barbarian.
Mar 4, 2016 8:24 pm
Zangua inspects the arrows, trying to determine if they were fired into the wall from the opposite side of the room, a la target practice.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20)

(10) = 10

load next

Thread locked