Looking for french speakers

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 2, 2020 4:15 pm
I should have done this before... but motivation was (understandably) lacking ...
Now I am afraid I am reduced to... learning french 🤣

I really need to put some effort in learning some proper french, including putting those damned verbs and propositions in the right place :D so ... I was wondering if there is anyone out there interested in starting a short french game for dummies ;) Not much I can offer in return besides some bad sentence structure and random verb tenses :D
Apr 2, 2020 4:16 pm
You literally already speak some weird slavic sounding version of French. What else do you need xD
Apr 2, 2020 4:17 pm
Try Duolingo, a cell phone app. It's pretty decent.
Apr 2, 2020 4:18 pm
If we're recommending language learning apps, I prefer memrise
Apr 2, 2020 4:39 pm
Yeah, verbs and propositions can be a pain in the ass in my native language, aka French.

I could set up a game in french, but are you sure about that ? It would be probably more efficient to go for an app like duolingo, and to watch some series' episodes in french (i have some in mind about tabletop rpg actual play series).
Last edited April 2, 2020 4:43 pm
Apr 2, 2020 4:48 pm
Look, yelling the words roll, attack, and death at French strangers is really important, okay?

In all seriousness though, if you do run a game, I might be interested to participate if it wouldn't make you go crazy to have to run it. learning a new language is fun.
Last edited April 2, 2020 4:48 pm
Apr 2, 2020 4:53 pm
PBP games for language learners sound like a really fun idea actually!
If there's more interest for something like that, we could set up a thread to connect people with language matches... Depending on how rare/common a language is, some people might be able to find a group or 1on1 game that way
Apr 2, 2020 5:04 pm
Never ever i have considerer before learning Esperanto through a rpg game O_o

You're really interested in a french game here ?
Apr 2, 2020 5:05 pm
I know a friend of mine and I used to text back in forth in Chinese (Mandarin). Not because either of us were fluent but because our wives aren't fluent in copy and paste into Google translate technology.
Apr 2, 2020 5:49 pm
I'm a French-Canadian here. Can give you a hand... In fact, my Urban Shadows game has been made bilingual...
Apr 2, 2020 6:09 pm
Urban Shadows ?
Apr 2, 2020 8:44 pm
Thanks for the tips. I actually did duo and mem already ;)

hey kalajel, how long has that been running for? Not sure a bilingual would work 🤔I just need something that will force me to practice french instead of lazily defaulting to something else all the time :D Really need to make that switch and think in french. If you need a new PC to play an exotic foreigner that tries to speak the language and misunderstand a fair good amount of things let me know (though I don't think I've played PbtA yet) ;) Do canadians do the weird four twenties and eleven thing? 😂😂

Otherwise, I'm up for any simple game that forces me use french, even if it is just fetching some cheese for grandma ;)
Last edited April 2, 2020 8:45 pm
Apr 2, 2020 8:53 pm
@Kalajel: i'd be curious to know the pitch of your Urban Shadow too.

@CESN: Otherwise, i could think of two games to run in french, both motorized by Fate Core.
An adaptation of the Harbinger Comics, set in the first years of existence of the Harada Global Conglomerates.
Or The Secrets of Cats.
And in French then, or bilingual.
Last edited April 2, 2020 8:54 pm
Apr 2, 2020 8:55 pm
I do not know any but... The Secrets of Cats? A sure winner!
Apr 2, 2020 9:06 pm
Harbinger is the perfect point halfway between Marvel and The Boys, having Toyo Harada being the first of the next evolution of the human species with psychic powers.

He lived through the second World War, especially with the nuclear bombs, and came to the conclusion that humanity may eventually destroy itself, Harada decided early in his life to preserve the planet by clandestinely conquering it. To this end, he established the Harbinger Foundation, shadow of the HGC, to recruit others with paranormal abilities.
Apr 2, 2020 9:28 pm
@ CESN: The game has been running for little over a year now, maybe like 15 months or so. There was a period of time where it looked it would die as I lost two players in succession, but several months later found replacements so I was able to revive it.

@ Delio: Well, since the players create the plot thanks to the Start of Session move (long to explain, kind of best to actually experience it), I don't really have any pitch... I guess that I could describe the current storm as the players having solved the problems of a bunch of werewolves beating people up at random, an exiled fey prince organizing a coup to unseat his two sisters, the local police force hiring a special firm to apprehend supernaturals, and a dragon working on a ritual which could plunge the whole city into chaos...

If any of you are interested, here's the game page.
Last edited April 2, 2020 9:42 pm
Apr 2, 2020 9:40 pm
Woaw, sounds a bit chaotic, no? :)

Well, CESN you have here a game in french, and i could set up a game about psychics or about cats if you're up for it.

Tell us :)
Apr 2, 2020 9:41 pm
Depends on what the players came up with, but yes, the first storm was a bit chaotic...
Apr 2, 2020 10:38 pm
French-Canadian here also, if you have any questions or if I can help you with anything feel free to pm me on discord !
Apr 2, 2020 10:44 pm
deadpool_qc says:
French-Canadian here also (...)
Ah, I was wondering about that "qc" in your name... :D
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.