Chapter 1, Day 5: The Council at Drellin's Ferry

load previous
Mar 22, 2016 7:08 pm
Ghunril finds himself at the very Druid Xara sought out for healing. The druid makes a point of noting that he normally only deals in the arts of preservation, but, that he, regrettably, has knowledge of some poisons. Given the circumstance, he is willing to set aside his morals to provide Ghunril with a few vials of poison... for an appropriate price (20 gp per vial, you can get up to 5 vials).
OOC:
Basic Poison (vial) - You can use the poison in this vial to coat one slashing or piercing weapon or up to three pieces of ammunition. Applying the poison takes an action. A creature hit by the poisoned weapon or ammunition must make a DC 10 constitution saving throw or take 1d4 poison damage. Once applied, the poison retains potency for 1 minute before drying.
Mar 22, 2016 8:40 pm
Zaris sighs in agreement with his companions and makes for the door. "I'm going to pick up my potions and then set up a little trap to slow a few of the advancing horde. It's won't be much, but maybe it will hit someone important."

The wizard is startled as he walks out the door by the apprentice. "I was just on my way to see you!" he exclaims. He thanks the boy kindly for the potions and slips them into his bag.

He makes his way across the bank to the reaches of the town from where the goblin raiding party had come earlier that morning. Quietly he pulls four arrows out and drives them into the ground, fanning out to cover a 45 degree region. He whispers a few words in elven and then mentions the word human. Satisfied, he covers them slightly with weeds and brush and returns to the Inn to sit and relax before what he realizes will be a hard journey.
OOC:
Casting of Cordon of Arrows. Any creature other than a human that comes within 30 feet of the arrows will trigger their launch.
Mar 23, 2016 4:36 pm
While the blacksmith is busy with the armor, Pawetha begins to pack up the blacksmith's possessions and help him get ready to evacuate, despite whatever protestations the dwarf makes.

Passerby will likely hear gruff snarling complaints... followed by the dwarf's reply.

"I don't care if you think these undergarments are private! I'm packing 'em so you can soil 'em later when you flee!"
Mar 23, 2016 6:23 pm
Bowing slightly to the druid "I understand your reservations about the poison, and I'm sure you can understand my lack of reservation in using them in combat." Ghunril gestures at his green scales. "I will take 2 vials and will assist you in any way I can so the time is not lost for you to evacuate with the rest of the village."
Last edited March 23, 2016 6:23 pm
Mar 24, 2016 6:16 pm
The day passes without event. Goblins do not attack, and Zaris has to recast his spell both before bed and when he wakes in the morning - finding the arrows unmoved during the intervening 8 hours. The druid spent the night awake, finishing the poisons and potions Ghunril and Xara, respectively, sought from him. The villagers continue their preparations to evacuate well into midday when a courier brings Pawetha news that the blacksmith has finished the short sword. It's a beautiful blade of finely crafted steel with dragon's fang forged into the blade. The hilt is decorated with a delicate inlay made of a powdered green stone.
OOC:
Green Dragon Fang Short Sword - same statistics as a short sword, but deals +1d6 poison damage on hit and its attacks count as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance.
Mar 24, 2016 6:31 pm
Pawetha admires the blade, almost cooing at the steel. "Fine work, dwarf," she says. "What'd you do, rub your britches on it? We should name this sword (Dwarven word for Underwear)."
Mar 24, 2016 6:35 pm
The blacksmith smiles, "You're a real brusier, for a gnome anyway. I think I coulda' gotten used to your company. Pass me that hammer, and I'll get back to work."
Mar 24, 2016 6:37 pm
The gnome does as asked, and returns to her self-assigned job of packing up the dwarf's supplies.
Mar 25, 2016 12:07 pm
Kaiakas, Corban and Zaris, after enjoying their breakfast, take note that Rurik has not been seen in the last day... Fearing the worst, they inspect his room and find it empty, as if he had vanished into the air. The staff of healing he had is laying across the neatly made bed.
OOC:
Only Kaiakas can actually use it, I believe, as he is the only one who can cast Divine spells. I'll repost the staff information to the OOC thread, please copy it onto your character sheet! Also, I'll give it another 24hours for you to do anything specific with Day 6 before I push along to Day 7.
Mar 25, 2016 2:08 pm
Setting the staff, but no other sign of Rurik, I can only imagine... "His dark master must have whisked him away." I gingerly pick up the staff and whisper, "Be safe, my friend." I turn to the others, anger of my lost friend clear on my face. "Let us get these villagers to safety."
Mar 25, 2016 2:50 pm
I enjoy my stay in town, helping villagers pack up their things and otherwise relaxing until we are needed.
Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm
After paying and stowing my poison vials I wander around town helping those who aren't put off by my green scales and are in need of heaving lifting.
Mar 25, 2016 10:25 pm
"You were much appreciated Rurik," the wizard laments. Zaris walks with Kaiakas to help with what ever he can in getting the villagers out of this place before the horde attacks. "I have a sickening feeling that this is not going to go well for us," he whispers to the dragonborn.
Mar 26, 2016 10:50 am
Another eventless day passes. Most of the town is well packed and prepared to leave, the plan is to depart by the following evening, with a small group of guards remaining behind to leave the following day and keep up the flank of the travellers.

In the morning, as you get up and make your way downstairs for your complimentary morning ale and breakfast, a black-haired woman, her face streaked with the dust of the road, trudges into the common room. She wears a soldier's tunic of blue and white over a shirt of mail, with the stylizing image of a golden lion over her heart. She signals the barkeep, "Ale," she rasps. "And send for your speaker. I've got ill news."
Mar 26, 2016 3:34 pm
What have we here?" Zaris whispers to himself as he walks back into the common room. His eyes size up the black-haired woman, looking worse for wear, downing ale as if she hadn't drank in a week.
Mar 26, 2016 5:47 pm
A loud, drawn-out yawn escapes Pawetha's lips from where she stands at the base of the stairs. Scratching her rump, she pulls her stooped frame over to the same location next to the black-haired woman. With her own streaks of dust and sweat on her face, Pawetha plants a hand on the nearest furniture for support. In a hoarse voice, she signals the barkeep. "Ale," Pawetha rasps. "And send me some breakfast. I've got an ill headache."

The ranger finally turns bleary eyes to the soldier, and after giving her a once-over, nods her head in camaraderie.
Mar 27, 2016 1:59 am
"And what news do you have, may I ask?" Zaris asks.
Mar 27, 2016 6:07 am
"It seems like no one is bringing good news these days. Hopefully you don't come to warn us of a second impending horde that outnumbers us 500 to 1." I pull a chair up at one of the tables and signal Zaris to join me. "Barkeep, please bring Zaris and I our usual breakfast and ales."
Mar 27, 2016 12:05 pm
The woman sighs, "A hoard. I do, indeed, bear bad news. I ride in the service of the Lord of Brindol. I was part of a patrol sweeping up the Rhest Trail. Five days ago, we ran into a roadblock- hobgoblins and ogres, waylaying any travellers into or out of the vale from the north. They were too strong for us, and we had to retreat. My captain sent several of us riding off to warn folks across the vale to avoid the old Rhest Trail. So here I am." She slams back a second ale, then says, "I'd love a plate of that breakfast too."
Mar 27, 2016 4:40 pm
Pawetha stretches her back. Moving a smithy is a lot harder than it would seem. "Avoid the Dawn Way, while you're at it," she yawns. "At least in the next few days."

After popping her spine, the ranger says a bit more plainly, "This horde seeks to flatten the vale with an army and a battle plan. I figure they've taken precaution for the Rhest Trail. What lies that way?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.