New Arrival, on the lookout for Cyberpunk and AiME

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 29, 2020 2:01 pm
Hi there!

Allow me to introduce myself:

I grew up on fiction (movies, books, video games) but was a late-comer to RPG's in my twenties. I approach RPG's primarily as a writer and storyteller, so when my friend group decided to give D&D a try I was more than happy to DM. I immediately fell in love with it, and it has been a passion of mine ever since. I have 3 in-person TTRPG campaigns under my belt as a DM and 1 as a player. I'm currently running Curse of Strahd with an obsessive enthusiasm, and am playing in a Storm King's Thunder campaign DM'd by one of my players.

In the past couple years, I started running short scenes in Play-By-Post style for my group during hiatus or for special occasions, and once again I'm surprised I haven't been doing this since I was a kid. TTRPG's helped me grow as a storyteller, improviser, and performer, but the written-word narrative of PbP feels like coming home.

I'm open to playing D&D and familiar systems here at Gamers Plane, but I'm hoping to find outlets for more niche passions of mine that I've been unable to fulfill thus far. I'm a huge fan of cyberpunk and LotR, but it's been a tough sell with my sword-and-sorcery group, so I'll probably be looking to join an Adventures in Middle Earth or Cyberpunk Red game. If I can't find a game to suit, I'm just as likely to start one up and run it! In fact, I've been worldbuilding for a cyberpunk screenplay and have been itching to run it as a game.

When I'm not roleplaying or writing, I'm doing freelance design work, playing electric guitar (and constantly adding to my pedal board), or playing with my dogs (a chocolate lab and mini dachshund).

I come to the lauded Gamers Plane community from Reddit, and I'm happy to be here. Thanks for having me!

- Jade_Ravens
Apr 29, 2020 2:10 pm
Jade_Ravens, we're happy to have you join us. There's been a fair bit of cyberpunk activity here recently, and I think a AiME game started recently.
Apr 29, 2020 2:34 pm
Thanks for the tips, Qralloq! I’ve been browsing the open games. Is it typical to build a character first and then apply to join, or does it depend on the GM?
Apr 29, 2020 2:39 pm
Jade_Ravens says:
Thanks for the tips, Qralloq! I’ve been browsing the open games. Is it typical to build a character first and then apply to join, or does it depend on the GM?
The most that is typically required is a concept. It's rare for GMs here to request prebuilt characters prior to entry.

Best practice is to comment on an interest or Looking-For-Player thread, or PM the GM. It's not forbidden to simply apply for games, although success rate with that tactic may be diminished unless the GM already knows you.
Apr 29, 2020 2:44 pm
Welcome, Jade_Ravens

In my experience, you usually start building a character after joining a game. Some GMs ask for a concept when you apply but most of the time, people discuss concepts after everyone is in the game.
Apr 29, 2020 3:34 pm
Hi,

I look forward to seeing you around.
Apr 30, 2020 2:28 am
I have an AiME game going that has lost 3 players to the new life demands of the pandemic. I'm planning on waiting probably a month or so yet to see if they return. But I would encourage you to Apply in case one or more does not.

Oh, and welcome!

Len

May 3, 2020 6:56 pm
Good to have you Jade_Ravens!

Don't forget to check out the New GP Member Guide.

New games are always popping up. If you watch the Games Tavern I'm sure you'll find one in no time!

If you're interested in spectating, here is an index of public games.

We'd love to have you join us on the Discord server as well for real time chat about the site, RPGs in general, and just about anything!

Happy gaming!
Last edited May 3, 2020 6:58 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.