New nosey noob knowing nothing

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 22, 2020 11:28 pm
Hailing to all GamePlaners,

Here's your regular wannabe-nerd, self-fancied role player intruding your forum in search of new ways to deliberate that he's a lousy at role-playing.

Out of here, my name is Andrea, my pronouns, for those who care about this stuff, are he/him - but being Italian, I never cared too much about "this stuff", mostly because I would (and do) get them wrong on a daily basis anyway. Anyway Xain will do, it's a nickname that I chose when there still were buzzing 56k modems and that stuck mostly because i am too lazy to come up with a better one. Bonus points to those that get the reference, by the way.

Let's start with what I don't know. I don't know the second thing about tabletop RPGs - meaning that i should maybe know the first thing about them, but barely. I fell in love with the idea of roleplaying as a child, when the big brother of my best friend allowed us brats into a session of Lex Arcana, an Italian TTRPG set in an alternate Roman Empire - and that probably was never translated to English. Of course, he grew tired soon enough of playing with us kids, so my appetite was left unsatisfied. Since then, I had some periodical fall-back into role playing: an Call of Cthulhu campaign (don't ask me which one, wouldn't know), aborted after a few sessions, countless aborted attempts of DnD - well excluding a three months campaign that ended up in a disaster for our party. Some one-shots, the last one in a wonderful game called Sine Requie (another one that will never be translated into English.). I seem to recall that I even had a go at play-by-post once, on a French website, for a CoC campaign - only to feel that I could not follow the pace of the other players and get my Master's done.

But now I am at it again, and that is what I know - that I want to try my best, and be surprised. I am scared as hell of course, since playing in a language that is not even my second (second being French, I guess) is not easy. Scared as hell because you all seem so knowledgeable of countless systems, while I basically remember the DnD rulebook - oh, and Sine Requie (useless in here).

Since I can't really speak about game systems, I can at least say what I do like about RPGs - the unreal realism, the world-building, the way each player can contribute in the creation of a narrative, and in which characters are fleshed out through play and become alive. I am not a huge fan of min-maxing, although sadly I have more often than not played with people who thought that in a party you'd need "a tank, a fighter, a healer and a wizard". Let's say I prefer story over tactics, and realism over fantasy - which does not necessarily mean that I am bothered by either tactics or fantasy, or that I am good at either storytelling or being grounded.

Oh, I never DM'd, as you'd expect from the newbie I am, but the idea crossed my mind more than once - so, maybe one day I will? For now, I hope to join a game, and see where it leads to.

Todoloo!
Last edited June 22, 2020 11:30 pm
Jun 22, 2020 11:39 pm
This is probably a bad time to bring up the "no alliteration" rule.

No, you know what - we'll waive it. Welcome to the site!
Jun 23, 2020 3:03 am
Hello and welcome!
Jun 23, 2020 5:15 am
Welcome to the site!

I'm sure you'll find some good games here quickly. Most games here are probably focused on story over tactical combat - that comes with the medium of play by post.
Happy gaming

Len

Jun 23, 2020 9:06 am
Welcome Xain!

To get familiar with the site, check out the New GP Member Guide which was constructed to answers some of the common questions newcomers might have.

New games are always popping up. If you watch the Games Tavern I'm sure you'll find one in no time!

If you're interested in spectating, here is an index of public games.

We'd love to have you join us on the Discord server as well for real time chat about the site, RPGs in general, and just about anything!

Happy gaming!
Jun 23, 2020 9:36 am
Welcome - lots of good games to join on here!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.