Pathfinder Interest and Poll

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 30, 2020 11:17 pm
So I've finally managed to drag myself out of a bit of a GMing/prepping slump. I;ve just finally managed to start up a homebrew game, but am also looking to run an AP (A preset campaign) to help with practice. First attempt was Skull before I realised the first part didn't necessarily mesh well with PBP.

For those not used to pathfinder, its based off 3.5. Basically take dnd 5e, dip it in some nuclear waste, then put it in a cloning machine to make hundred of rules. It's very crunchy, and normally more combat focused, but I am planning to streamline the aps and take out encounters I feel aren't necessary. (I've been doing this in my IRL games as well and no-one wants the same goblin encounter 8 times in a row).

Below are four options. Each I feel has the opportunity for a lot of social instead of just raw combat. I have played all of them, the one exception being Ruins of Azlant, which I'm only half way through, so am waiting on my bf/gm to double check there's no spoilers in the first few books I may stumble upon.

Curse of the Crimson throne (Anniversary Edition):
The king is dead! In the Varisian port city of Korvosa, the death of a monarch leads to chaos, and only the PCs can hope to save the city from its own darkest tendencies. As the rule of the young queen grows more and more draconian, it's up to a band of bold adventurers to stop the spread of tyranny before all of Korvosa is crushed beneath her iron fist.
In the Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path, the heroes delve into the depth of urban adventure in order to stop riots, combat a plague, root out organized crime, and rescue political prisoners before escaping to the harsh badlands of the Storval Plateau, where only the friendship of the barbaric Shoanti and a weapon drawn from the heart of a gothic castle can give them the strength to return and depose the evil queen once and for all.

Curse of the Crimson throne also plays with the harrow deck, the in universe version of a tarot deck. It's a lot more urban than the other options. Great chance for vigilante's as well.

Strange Aeons:
In a distant land polluted by an alien menace from beyond the stars, a great cancer grows within the earth. As its tendrils reach out through the dreams of those who learn and study its existence, a sinister cult grows more active in preparing the way for a devastation that will destroy more than the minds of would-be heroes. Can the adventurers reclaim lost memories in time to stop the advance of a cataclysmic contagion that could threaten all of Golarion? Can they resist the mind-shattering truths revealed by the Yellow Sign, and the monstrous force it symbolizes? The Strange Aeons Adventure Path pits the heroes against the cosmic horrors of the Cthulhu Mythos, with new monsters, mind-shattering terrors, and explorations far beyond the known lands of Golarion.
Eldritch game, and important thing to note is all the PCs start by waking up in a fugue state, with no memories. So this one has less need for backstories.

Wrath of The Righteous:
The Worldwound tore reality apart at the dawn of the Age of Lost Omens, murdering the nation of Sarkoris and unleashing a ravenous demonic horde upon the world. Only the quick action of several other nations of knights, barbarians, and heroes stemmed the demon army and contained it within lost Sarkoris, and for the next century, crusade after crusade tried to defeat the demons only to fail time and time again. Their greatest success, the line of magical artifacts known as Wardstones that stand sentinel along the Worldwound's border, barely manages to contain the demons. So when one of the wardstones is sabotaged, a city falls and the demons within surge out in a massive assault like none before. Even before the Fifth Crusade has begun a city has fallen and some of the crusaders' greatest defenders and heroes are slain. Can anyone rise up against the demon host to prevent the armies of Deskari, the demon lord of the Locust Host, from swallowing the world?
This is a mythic game. What is mythic? If you refer back to my previous explanation of pathfinder, imagine of the original rules also had alien parents and were struck by lightning. It's overpowered, unbalanced, good fun.

Ruins of Azlant:
Thousands of years ago, a barrage of meteors called forth from the vastness of space by humanity's greatest enemies rained down on Golarion, cutting short the remarkable human empire of Azlant while plunging the world into an era of darkness. Since then, the shattered continent of Azlant has lured intrepid explorers to its broken shores, but few have the mettle to survive in the remains of this dangerous and mysterious land. Now, a hopeful expedition has established a colony on one of the nearest islands across the sea, but danger has struck the fledgling settlement. An ancient enemy was accidentally released from its prison and has resumed its millennium-old machinations to punish the hubris of humanity once again. Can the adventurers survive in a faraway land and track down this enigmatic being before its sinister plans can come to fruition?
This game has a lot of water, Azlant being based on Atlantis. It also starts of with the pcs just trying to help their fledgling colony survive well away from help. (Why don't they just leave? My game have been asking that for 3 books)
Jun 30, 2020 11:17 pm
Poll was having fun, so just comment on which ones you would prefer.
Jul 1, 2020 12:51 am
I'm always up for playing in an AP. I say Ruins of Azlant, Curse of the Crimson Throne, Wrath of the Righteous, and Strange Aeons. In that order.
Jul 1, 2020 1:32 am
I'd be interested in Curse of the Crimson Throne and Ruins of Azlant, and Wrath of the Righteous, too. I've never been a big horror fan, so I might be hesitant with Strange Aeons.

How do you feel about Spheres material for Pathfinder characters? If I was working with Spheres on a character for your game, I would promise you that I have no interest in doing something that results in a character unbalanced in comparison to the rest of the party (I say that because I know that a common fear regarding stuff from 3rd party publishers is that it will be unbalanced).
Jul 1, 2020 1:39 am
You've hit the nail on the head. I am cautious about 3rd party stuff, especially in an AP where a lot of the material is already set.

However I do already tend to adjust bosses's/ encounters a little as I use th elephant in the playground feat tax rules and a few of my own, which tend to add a bit of power to players.

I'm going to hold off on a definite answer while I read it, and also seeing what AP is picked. For example Wrath would already be a hot mess, so 3rd party isn't going to be too much extra.

On strange Aeons, I'm running IRL right now as well and it's more akin to the scooby doo gang than actually horror, but that may be partially due to the players. (There is a count of how many old ladies have been thrown out of windows). But can still appreciate it not being someone's thing.
Jul 1, 2020 4:56 am
I am already in a Curse of the Crimson Throne PBP that is going quite well, so any of the other three would be cool.
Jul 1, 2020 6:28 am
They all sound good, Wrath of the Righteous just getting my vote.
Jul 1, 2020 7:59 pm
I'd be down to join a game. I don't have any Pathfinder experience, though I do have the Core Rulebook and Bestiary in hard copy. Basically, I was on the fence between Pathfinder or 5e, didn't know anything about either system, and the Pathfinder System seemed like a less expensive initial investment to get into, so I went with that. Shortly after reading the book I realized that the game probably has more crunch than I care for as a new GM, and set the books aside in case I might get a chance to be a player down the road.

As far as an Adventure Path, I'm not familiar with any of the ones you listed and I'd be fine with any of your options so I would defer to the rest of the table's preferences.
Jul 1, 2020 8:14 pm
funfungiguy says:
I don't have any Pathfinder experience, though I do have the Core Rulebook and Bestiary in hard copy.
You may have found this already, but in case you haven't--you can find all of the Pathfinder rules material at the Archives of Nethys. You can see additional classes and races (and spells, feats, etc.) there beyond what's in the Core Rulebook alone.
Jul 1, 2020 8:18 pm
Are you thinking of Pathfinder 1 or 2? I have the source books for PF 1 but not 2.
Jul 1, 2020 8:21 pm
Keante beat me to it Yeah that's a good resource, and I am always happy to help introduce someone to pathfinder, and can help you in building your char. Also will be starting off at level one regardless of adventure picked.

Ruins or Wrath seem to be the most likely atm. I will see if I can get an answer on whether I can at least start running Azlant without spoiler fears.
Jul 1, 2020 8:21 pm
@Dankel They're all 1e AP's. Haven't had a chance to try 2e yet.
Jul 1, 2020 11:07 pm
LightOfMidnight says:
Keante beat me to it Yeah that's a good resource, and I am always happy to help introduce someone to pathfinder, and can help you in building your char. Also will be starting off at level one regardless of adventure picked.

Ruins or Wrath seem to be the most likely atm. I will see if I can get an answer on whether I can at least start running Azlant without spoiler fears.
I have some experience in Pathfinder, but I've never played any of the mentioned AP's. If that helps with the decision of which to play.
Jul 1, 2020 11:59 pm
I have been dying to play Wrath for years now.
Jul 2, 2020 9:07 pm
Looking like Wrath may have just edged it out. Trying to decide on number of players, as aware 6 of you have shown interest. A staggered split could be a possibilty.

Will likely be looking to run Azlant later down the road, as that also had interest.
Jul 2, 2020 9:34 pm
LightOfMidnight says:
Looking like Wrath may have just edged it out. Trying to decide on number of players, as aware 6 of you have shown interest. A staggered split could be a possibilty.

Will likely be looking to run Azlant later down the road, as that also had interest.
Sounds good
Jul 2, 2020 10:20 pm
Yeah I like pathfinder too. Don't see so many games in it or 3.5 nowdays.
Last edited July 2, 2020 10:20 pm
Jul 3, 2020 12:28 am
Okay, I'm going to go with two groups of four for Wrath. (Or one three) One I'll allow the spheres, if anyone want to play with them.

If people have any ideas of char concepts and want to discuss here while I set bits up, as for example if two people want to go for the same mythic path/class they can go in separate groups.
Jul 3, 2020 1:13 am
I'm thinking of going with the Child of the Crusade player trait. The associated Mythic path is Marshal. As for class I'll wait and see what the others in the group pick, but possibly either a Cavalier or Fighter or Paladin.
Jul 3, 2020 1:26 am
Ah yeah, looking at traits is also good. Each is associated with a path, so those new to pathfinder/mythic can maybe use those to guide where you may lean towards.

There is also a free players guide available here that explains themes and can give ideas.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.