always a DM

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 11, 2020 4:04 pm
Since I was a kid (at 5 I started playing AD&D in 1978) I have always been the DM. Mostly because I'm really good a drawing maps. As an adult, I have an ambition to create a group of people like me, the "always the DM" type. You know who you are... So we could take turns, and all get to play.

I'm old school D&D, but I really like 5e. I also like Paizo's StarFinder, especially the ship dynamics. So, I'm currently creating my own little 5e world, a chain of islands and ships to sail around them. There will be dwarves in the north, elves in the south, humans and halflings in the middle, and rumours of a few gnome caves here and there. With very little mixing, races and languages will be very important (remember alignment languages?) and the cultures, equipment, magic, and architecture of the various peoples will be emphasized.

But in the meantime, I would like to play by post, so I can gear my little world to this style of play. I've tried it once before, but the group fell apart. But I still see strong potential here. Home brew or published adventure is fine with me. I've always bought all Forgotten Realms adventures, but I'm open minded.

When I do play, I tend toward fighters, rangers and rouges. There is a reccuring character I've played in dozens of worlds - Skallagrim the grey - a grizzled old ranger/fighter who's only happy in the bush. He's like an inappropriate old uncle, drinks too much, can't stop himself from insulting dragonborn and tieflings, and thinks he's right about everything.

If anyone thinks they have room in their world for him, let me know.
Jul 11, 2020 4:07 pm
Welcome, Skallagrimm

You're definitely not the only Forever-GM on here. I used to be the same until I bullied one of my IRL players to GM for me instead. And befoer that, this site gave me the opportunity to play as a PC whenever I want (and to GM even more games, just in a different format).

To find a game to join, look at the Games Tavern. That's where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

To see how GP functions, check out the New GP Member Guide and maybe browse some of the public games.

GP also has an official Discord server. You can hop in there for some friendly conversation or any urgent questions you might have.

Happy gaming!
Jul 11, 2020 4:25 pm
Hello and welcome!
Jul 11, 2020 4:53 pm
Thank you for your service as DM and welcome to GP! The game worlds always need more people like you.
Jul 11, 2020 5:07 pm
Welcome!
Jul 11, 2020 6:24 pm
Howdy! Glad to have you with us. Hope you find a game for Skallagrim soon.
Jul 11, 2020 6:34 pm
You guys are really making my day!

seeing how active the site is, is filling me with hope and ideas.

I'm going on a little camping trip tomorrow, but next week I'm jumping into this site with both feet!
Jul 11, 2020 8:20 pm
Welcome aboard

Len

Jul 11, 2020 11:24 pm
Cool, welcome to GP!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.