B1 Chapter 1: The Lord of the Tundra

Jul 28, 2020 4:03 pm
The followers of Axton, the great tundra chieftain, said their empire, like the plains, had no horizon- no end. Tales of marauding and pillaging horseman have been told around the fires of the flat-lands for centuries. Warriors humble, women chaste and children obedient in light of the violence Ichba (Lord of the Tundra) might still bring. His tomb, lost to the sands of time, is all but forgotten to Axton's descendants.

But not to five brave souls.

They ride Northwest, in defiance of villages and hearths cautioning such boldface ventures. For since Axton's death and burial few have been bold in the face of that once great leader. Shamans and horseman attempted to turn them away, blowing fermented yak piss at them. Some said death would be merciful. One could not insult Axton without a sacrifice. If so, HE would take a sacrifice. Songs of screaming flew about their heads in absolute fear of what would be released from the forgotten tomb.

But one mad sage was defiant. A descendant of a once proud family decimated by Axton's conquest, pointed to an outcropping far to the northwest. "There are no hills in the tundra, but his tomb is a hill," he spoke before shouting "Give him the rings of hell like he did to my grandfathers!"

Suddenly in the far distance an outcropping begins to rise.
OOC:
Feel free to character interact as you gallop to the outcropping the mad sage pointed out
Jul 28, 2020 10:28 pm
Once again Fenix tugged at his thick fur lined hooded woolen cloak that he wore. Seeking to adjust it so as to keep the smallest draft of frozen air from reaching his body within it's folds. For more then the thousandth time the Hobb wondered how he ever gotten it into his thick head. That it was a smart idea to travel to the far northern Coldlands in search of the hidden supposed treasure laiden Tomb of Axton. Now he just wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. So he could head south to warmer climes as fast as he was able.
With a gloved hand he gave a encouraging couple of pats on neck of the long haired gelding northern riding pony. That was named Sure Hooves. Looking around, he saw his companions seemed to be about as miserable as he was. Barely able to keep his teeth from chattering he said to no one in particular, he said. "Remind me again, who's brilliant idea was it to come to this Gods forsaken place? I just hope it's worth it!"
Last edited July 29, 2020 2:01 pm
Jul 29, 2020 7:41 am
Belga nudges her pony a little faster to catch up with Fenix. She gives the Hobb a jaunty grin and takes a pull from the skin hanging from the saddle horn, then tosses it over. "Here. A little fire water from the undermountain might help take the edge off. And it's a sure sight better than fermented yak's piss."

She squints ahead into the distance. "So.... that must be the place, eh?" She tried to sound more confident than she felt. It hadn't been until they got fully out in the tundra that she began to feel how big the emptiness was, and just how small their little band was. Before that thought could fully take root, Belga shook herself out of her reverie, and turned back to the rest of her companions. "Looks like we're finally getting close!"
Jul 29, 2020 8:24 am
Theodore pushes his cloak’s hood back from his face at the sound of conversation starting. The bitter cold hits him and he raises his arm to shield his face from a frozen gale. "It’s about damn time too, feels like we’ve been riding round here for an age." Theodore takes his turn with the fire water, grunting as he swallows and feels the warmth hit him though it is short-lived. "I’ll be glad to have some shelter from this wind, that’s for sure" he says as he passes on the skin.

Peering onwards, Stoneshadow begins to take in the outcropping and just how much it stands out from the empty surroundings. The slightest beginnings of doubt start to form in his mind before he pushes them back down. Readjusting his position in the saddle and pulling his hood back tight, Theodore focuses his thoughts on preparing himself for the challenge to come.
Jul 29, 2020 10:32 am
Riding next to his companions, Thran remains wrapped in a sullen silence as thick as his woolen scarf, a behaviour somewhat unusual for the mild-mannered, soft-spoken elven mage.

His almond-shaped eyes, barely visible through the layers of clothing and glistening beneath the shadow of the fur-coated hood of his winter robes, stare at the approaching tumulus with intensity.
Finally, the secrets he had been hankering after were close at hand, yet he shivered both from the cold and the prospect of facing the perils within: he'd studied the legends attached to the place and couldn't share his companions' light-hearted banter.

They would be lucky to get out with their sanity intact !

Of course he could not, would not tell them the extent of what he'd read in the ancient tomes he'd poured over for weeks and months on end; why sap the little courage they'd been able to muster ?
One thing was clear: he had to conquer the tomb's mystical secrets and he'd do what was necessary to reach his goal, even at the cost of his own life. To complete the task he'd joined with like-minded individuals and after weeks of arduous journeying there they were, a most unlikely band of tomb robbers if there ever was one !

He shook his head to clear his thoughts and grabbed the reins of his chestnut mount a little tighter: they'd reach the place any moment now and there still were preparations to complete...
Last edited July 29, 2020 1:59 pm
Jul 29, 2020 2:31 pm
Snatching the not frozen liquid filled liquorskin out of the frigged air. Fenix opened it an took a small swig of what was inside. Feeling it burn all the way down from gullet to gut. Putting the stopper back in. He tossed it to Big Teddy, who had motioned for it. Muttering, "Thank's Belga, that really hit the spot! It's fermented yak milk, not piss. That is unless you have drank something different then I have!"

To her proclamation that claimed they were in sight of there destination, He somewhat sarcastically replied . "That's what you told us a half an hour ago! We are still riding along freezing our asses off! I can't wait until we get there and get a yak dung fire started, so we can warm up a bit."
Last edited July 29, 2020 2:36 pm
Jul 29, 2020 3:10 pm
"Making smoke or fire may not be the wisest of choices, Fen. At least not that close to the funeral mound. There exist in these places... things that are drawn to the heat like moths to the flame. Things long dead, who hunger for the warmth of the living and thirst after a life long gone. We have to remain on our guard as we approach these accursed grounds !"

Despite the alarming words, the elf spoke in his habitual melodious tones, his voice carrying across the frozen waste effortlessly, almost disturbingly so.
Last edited July 29, 2020 3:22 pm
Jul 29, 2020 4:21 pm
Thran’s words send a shiver down Theodore’s spine. He plays it off as being caused by the weather by pulling his cloak tighter, but also touches a hand to his sheathed sword. "Nothing that we can’t handle though, eh?" Theodore’s words continue the confident persona he’s displaying to the group.
Jul 29, 2020 7:02 pm
Responding to the Elf, the Hobb said. "Then let them come! I'll be damned if fear of such will keep me from warming up by a fire. Because if I don't get warmer soon. The blood will start to freeze in my veins."
Jul 29, 2020 10:53 pm
For hours they ventured toward the Northwest. Deeper and deeper into that grassy, flat nothing defining the tundra. No hills drew the eye, no cliffs or mountains. Even their horses appeared restless if not bored. Onward and onward, the elevated outcropping in the distance appeared a mirage. Never appearing to come closer despite the constant riding in its direction.

Was that the reason the rogue, Akki, apparently staggered behind the main party? Was their a reason for his absence? Or just another illusion of the continuous grassland?

Nothing moved, nothing made anyone turn their heads, until perhaps something did.

OOC: Roll SR2 vs IQ (INT) or SR3 vs LCK
Jul 30, 2020 8:48 am
OOC:
Playing to my two strongest suits!

Rolls

SR2 on Int 13 - (2d6)

(54) = 9

Jul 30, 2020 8:55 am
OOC:
I’ll roll against INT too

Rolls

SR2 on INT 14 - (2d6)

(44) = 8

Jul 30, 2020 8:59 am
OOC:
And a reroll.

Rolls

DARO - (2d6)

(46) = 10

Jul 30, 2020 11:11 am
OOC:
SR on INT 26 (just checking: does that mean Thrandaryl needs to beat a level 2 SR - so a 25 - by rolling 2d6+14 ? Or how does this get resolved exactly ?)
OOC: Just like that, roll over 5 and don't roll a 1-2 combo

Rolls

IQ Saving Roll difficulty II - (2d6)

(41) = 5

Jul 30, 2020 11:25 pm
OOC:
As I understand it, you roll 2d6 + Attribute score vs T#25 for a Level 2 SR. Even if the attribute alone is greater than the T#, you still need to roll at least 5 to succeed. A roll of 4 or less is a failure.
Last edited July 31, 2020 3:46 am
Jul 30, 2020 11:34 pm
OOC: I thought it was five. Gringnr or not Ill post the outcome tomorrow.
Jul 31, 2020 1:42 am
OOC: for 5th edition, 5 is the minimum saving throw, I know other editions are different, not sure which edition's SRs you are going with.

Cursing, Akki pulls the bundled rags and scraps of fur that serve (poorly) as his clothes tighter around him, grateful for the warmth of the borrowed horse beneath him. He wants - nay, needs - to adventure. Of course he does, he's wearing literal rags! Even his "boots" are made from cast-off tatters, bound together by strips of whatever he could find that was long enough to tie. He is soaked through, freezing, miserable and angry. By all the devils, he thinks to himself grimly, I would guzzle yak piss if it were warm! Still, he knows there is precious little he can do about his current predicament, save move forward, toward his destiny.

(Rolling against INT of 13, BTW, so thos should succeed...)

OOC: doubles reroll!
Last edited July 31, 2020 8:48 pm

Rolls

2d6 - (2d6)

(44) = 8

DARO Re-roll - (2d6)

(52) = 7

Jul 31, 2020 3:45 am
OOC:
Oops, my bad. I was looking at 7th! I'll correct it above so there's no confusion.
Last edited July 31, 2020 3:46 am
Jul 31, 2020 5:10 am
OOC:
Roll SR2 vs IQ (INT) of 28 via Roguery
OOC: Doubles re-roll

Rolls

Roll - (2d6)

(55) = 10

Jul 31, 2020 4:45 pm
Withdrawing slightly from the conversation, a movement in the corner of his eye catches Theodore’s attention. Turning his head he sees a swarm of cavalry mere moments away. "Shit," Theodore yells, flinching at the sudden appearance, "incoming!"

Pulling at the reigns with one hand, he turns his horse whilst drawing his sword with the other. Bracing within the saddle, Theodore prepares to defend himself.
Last edited July 31, 2020 4:46 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.