Hi!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 9, 2020 6:22 pm
It's been a really long time since I've done any roleplaying with regularity. My primary experience was in the 90s playing mostly AD&D 2e with my friends, but it more or less fell off my radar after I went to college.

More recently I've become really interested in the idea of PBP, and I've tried a few experiments, but it hasn't quite clicked for me as something sustainable yet. I'm hoping Gamers' Plane can be the missing link.

My preference is for freeform rather than rules/combat-heavy play, but in the end I just want to have fun. I'd be interested in learning more about the "custom" games that are running here. Is there much interest in straight-up freeform games, or is that not a thing?

I'm looking forward to meeting people, and a huge thank you to everyone involved in creating and maintaining the site!
Aug 9, 2020 6:35 pm
Hi, xarnupaglon! The "custom" label is generally used for game systems for which a formal character sheet hasn't been installed on the site rather than indicating a type of system.

That said, there are a lot of games on the site that use less rule-heavy systems and that are more focused on narrative than combat. There are occasional attempts at things that I'd call "freeform" storytelling, but I haven't seen many really get off the ground. However, I've played in some fantastic games on GP that had a ton of narrative flexibility that were rules-light.

Welcome to the site, and I hope you find a game to try soon!
Aug 9, 2020 6:36 pm
Welcome, xarnupaglon!

If you want to see how GP functions, check out the New GP Member Guide and maybe look through some public games as well.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You might also want to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

Happy gaming!
Aug 9, 2020 6:42 pm
Thanks, Moonbeam! That gives me a much better idea. Is there a way to observe some of those types of games, and if so, would anyone mind recommending some for me to look at? I am of course happy to jump into anything and try it out if people are willing to put up with me being totally ignorant of the rules.
Aug 9, 2020 6:53 pm
Welcome!
Aug 9, 2020 7:23 pm
Hello and welcome!
Aug 9, 2020 7:27 pm
Hey!

If you're interested in a horror writing sim hit me up! I have an idea that involves the League of Extraordinary Gentleman. Right now I'm involved with a sim based on Warehouse 13, we have our own dedicated platform but I'm 100% sure we can get GP working for it.

Anyways, welcome. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Aug 9, 2020 7:45 pm
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! WckdMuse, that sounds like a lot of fun, but I think I'd probably slow you down as I don't really know League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I'm also a big old scaredycat when it comes to horror haha.
Last edited August 9, 2020 7:46 pm
Aug 9, 2020 8:11 pm
Welcome!
Aug 9, 2020 8:15 pm
Quote:
Is there a way to observe some of those types of games, and if so, would anyone mind recommending some for me to look at?
I linked the index of public games in my earlier post. That's where you can find links to all games that can just be viewed and read by non-players.
I don't have any particular recommendations so I would suggest you just browse through it and see what sounds exciting or interesting to you :)
Aug 9, 2020 8:32 pm
Welcome! You will find a patient and welcoming community here and I'm sure you will eventually find the type of game that would suit you. Good luck!
Aug 9, 2020 8:33 pm
Quote:
I would suggest you just browse through it and see what sounds exciting or interesting to you :)
Fair enough, thanks!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.