Previewing a Game should be a feature

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 22, 2020 8:01 am
Hey there,

I just joined this site and it looks great. However, there is no option to preview a game by perusing its posts before joining. This is problematic, since I could see a game I like, apply and get accepted, but then upon reading the game posts find out its definitely not the game for me (for any number of reasons, like for instance one line posts rather than descriptive posts in the game)

Therefore I do believe games set to public and not private should allow us to view a games IC posts before applying.

Regards
Aug 22, 2020 8:32 am
Most games just recruit before they even get started so there isn't really anything to preview by the time you apply. And for the few occasions where I jumped into a pre-existing game, the GM always let me into the game first so I could browse the backlog before making s final decision on whether I'm interested or not.

The problem with public games is that while their archives are visible to everyone, you can only see them if you have the direct link. There is a registry of public games but that obviously doesn't contain all public games, just the ones their GMs submit there.

It would be good policy for a GM who advertises a freed up spot in an existing game to make it public and post a link so people can browse the game before applying but it's possible not every player is always comfortable with that.
Aug 22, 2020 2:50 pm
I'd also add to that that not every GM make their game public.
Aug 22, 2020 11:01 pm
Yah, we used to have a list of public games like bowlofspinach said. And then the site started growing at a faster and faster rate, and the public games list kinda broke the site for everyone, so I removed it. I haven't yet thought of a good way to replace that, but I can guarantee it's on my mind.
Aug 23, 2020 12:22 am
I understand your concern, Sitara, but I think a lot of what you're after can be resolved by trading a few emails back and forth with the GM. If you have a list of must-haves before you join a game, just let the GM know what they are. Most folks are quite nice around here, so they'll likely answer you truthfully. The other option is to do as bowlofspinach suggests and see if the GM night let you "join" the game long enough to look around and make a decision on joining for good.

Good luck! Let us know if you have other questions.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.