Chapter Eight: The Virid Coronation

Sep 11, 2020 5:16 pm
The path down to the cove is narrow and twisting, but centuries of use have left a well-trod trail that provides sure footing. The cove itself, a small, sheltered semicircle fine gray sand and calm lapping waves, is quiet and still in the cold, foggy night.

Farfar has spoken little on the walk down. but he remarks that Gorham was in a strange mood during this evening's negotiations -- even more jovial and madcap than usual, but at the same time more insistent that the family yield up the Sphere, and more direct in his threats and intimidations.

"I am no fool. It became clear to me that he had run out of patience with these negotiations, and I had stalled him for as long as I could. 'Tonight I will claim my prize,' he said to me at one point, and I knew that he believed it."

Down on the beach he takes a few steps into the water and withdraws a large conch shell from his bag. He takes a few long, slow breaths, then inhales deeply, raises the conch to his mouth, and blows out a long, eerie note.
Sep 17, 2020 5:45 pm
For several long minutes, nothing happens. Then a head surfaces from the water, several meters out.

The thing that slowly emerges has the color and translucent sheen of bull kelp, but its form is human. It crawls out until it is about six feet away from Farfar, and you can see the lower half of it is long, smooth, and finned. Farfar begins to speak -- a short, musical phrase in a language none of you recognize. The merfolk in the water croaks a few words in reply and reaches out to offer its hand.

To be continued...
Sep 20, 2020 10:20 pm
Farfar steps aside. "Only the hand of a merfolk can guide you to the temple," he reminds you as he begins rummaging through his bag. He pulls out a tin flask. "You'll need to link hands in a chain. But first, drink this. It'll last one full day, so...don't get stuck down there any longer than that."

Who wants to be first to drink from the flask and grasp the mermaid's hand?
Sep 20, 2020 10:37 pm
Zangua steps forward to take a swig of the flask. "The sooner we get there, the sooner we can bury Gorham."
Sep 23, 2020 7:24 pm
Zangua takes a drink of the salty potion and recalls his brief sojourn in the Plane of Elemental Water. He reaches for the mermaid's hand and she grasps it tightly. With his free hand, Zangua takes the hand of the next party member to drink, and so on.

Once the chain is formed, Farfar takes a step back. He starts to stammer what probably would have been a few words of encouragement or well-wishing, but the mermaid starts to crawl back toward the ocean, dragging the party along with her. As soon as she is able to submerge she begins to swim in full, her long and powerful tail propelling them along a downward angle to the east.

She soon accelerates to a tremendous speed, forcing you all to grip as tightly as you can to hold on, and levels off as her descent takes you to just a few meters above the ocean floor. The darkness is total here, but after a few moments the mermaid's skin begins to emit a curious glow. A phosphorescent tattoo consisting of labyrinthine spirals appears on her back.

The mermaid slows down and comes to a long, sliding stop in the soft seabed. Thick clouds of silt rise up, obscuring what little you can see from the glow she emits, and she begins to crawl along the ground for a few meters. Then, quite suddenly, she plunges headfirst into the silt.

Half-swimming, half-crawling, she pulls you through a long, narrow, twisting tunnel that descends, curves, and rises up again. Whatever mechanism the potion uses to allow you to breathe underwater is affected by the silt; it is harder to draw breath here.

Finally you emerge and the mermaid lets go of Zangua's hand. All you can see around you is darkness, the mermaid's skin only illuminates a few feet of space around you, and there is nothing to see but silt. She makes a few short, high-pitched cries and gestures, then begins to burrow back down into the silt, her duty apparently discharged.

Your move, players!
Sep 23, 2020 7:49 pm
Zangua tries to orient himself with the way up, and he starts to swim to the surface. He will pull the hand of whomever he holds.
Sep 23, 2020 8:23 pm
Who wants to swim up with Zangua? Felor has not turned his spear lamp on yet; those of you without darkvision can't see a thing.
Sep 24, 2020 5:15 am
As soon as it becomes apparent what they were about to do, all color drains from Leth's face and his stomach sinks.

Forests, mountains, caves, swamps, I can handle. But that? He regards the inky blackness of the water in front of him with unease and shudders.

"Let's get this over with."

He tries to fight off a rising tide of panic as they're all swept into the depths, beyond the reach of light and all normal humanly-livable environments... and has to do so again as their guide leaves them behind, blind and all alone in this alien world.

As soon as he feels a tug on his hand upwards, he eagerly joins the ascent as fast as he can swim, ready to be able to walk again.
OOC:
I don't suppose a bow works underwater?
Last edited September 24, 2020 5:16 am
Sep 24, 2020 7:28 am
Zangua and Leth ascend for more than 500 feet before swimming into a ceiling of smooth, flat stone.

Apparently it does, you just shoot with Disadvantage!
Sep 24, 2020 10:22 pm
Zangua has a brief moment of panic, forgetting that he can breathe underwater. He tries to talk, at least in hopes of getting Felor to illuminate the area.
Oct 5, 2020 5:18 am
OOC:
I was waiting to take a turn in hopes that we might get some light hahaha
Oct 5, 2020 5:16 pm
We'll say Felor turned the lights on for you, because it'd be kind of nuts if he didn't.

All you can see in the glow cast from Felor's spear is the featureless ground you emerged from, a vast plain of sediment that seems to extend in all directions. Looking a northeasterly direction, however, the ground seems to incline somewhat.
Oct 5, 2020 5:17 pm
Zangua points northeast and up, and tugs Leth in that direction as he swims for the ascending slope.
Oct 6, 2020 12:51 am
Zangua leads the party up the slope.

Soon, the tops of broken pillars can be seen emerging from the substrate, massive and evenly spaced about sixty feet to either side of you. About a quarter mile ahead, there is a faint glow that silhouettes a broad dome-shaped structure.
Oct 6, 2020 2:32 am
"Anyone know where we are?" Zangua asks. He looks back to see what could have presented them with a ceiling of flat stone.
OOC:
Are we underground, or is there a sky?
Oct 6, 2020 4:01 am
You seem to be inside a vast undersea cavern.
Oct 9, 2020 9:07 pm
Leth shakes his head and gestures towards the dome.

"I just want to find the sphere and get out of here." He says, and begins tugging whoever he's still holding on to towards the structure.
OOC:
Assuming for now that if we can breathe underwater, we can talk underwater too lol
Oct 9, 2020 9:20 pm
Zangua continues on to the dome.
Oct 9, 2020 9:50 pm
You approach the dome, which crowns the top of a large stone structure half-buried in the sediment.

A small object drifts in the water about 100 yards ahead of you, not far from the structure.
Oct 10, 2020 12:16 am
Leth swims over to investigate the floating object.
Oct 12, 2020 11:54 pm
Sorry for not being around to turn my lamp on!

Felor examines the stone structure through the murk trying to see if it looks familiar in some way.

Rolls

Religion or History check - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Oct 14, 2020 7:43 pm
The structure isn't specifically recognizable, but there is a familiar, archetypical quality to its outlines. It calls to mind all of the very old temples Felor has seen, but not a particular one.

Leth makes a gruesome discovery: the object is a severed hand, small and kelp-colored.
Oct 14, 2020 10:03 pm
It's a temple, all right. And old, by the looks of it, thinks Felor as they near the old temple.
Oct 15, 2020 1:46 am
This is it. This is where I die.

Leth thinks to himself, trying not to think about what kind of creature might be lurking in the shadowy depths that could have devoured the rest of the being that this hand once belonged to.

Uncle Ed, I'm not so sure this is worth it.

Leth turns around and joins the others as they approach the sunken building. Looking around carefully for any sign of danger.
Last edited October 15, 2020 1:46 am

Rolls

perception - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Oct 15, 2020 5:09 pm
The sediment is piled high against the enormous stone doors of the temple, but there is a crack at the upper right just large enough for a human -- or something a bit bigger -- to pass through. It is quiet and still here, and seems devoid of life save for the tiny krill that occasionally flit through the light.
Oct 15, 2020 5:39 pm
Zangua approaches the opening, trying to peer through before he attempts entering.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Oct 15, 2020 7:36 pm
The light of Felor's spear cannot reach to the walls, floor, or ceiling of the temple interior: all Zangua can see is empty space inside.
Oct 15, 2020 8:23 pm
Zangua looks back to the others and waves his hand in front of his eyes, then shakes his head. Despite not being able to see anything, he enters the structure.
Oct 16, 2020 3:13 pm
OOC:
I've been saying this a lot lately, but sorry for being absent
Domarc grimaces, and follows Zangua
Oct 16, 2020 6:02 pm
Domarc and Zangua swim into the gargantuan hypostyle hall of the temple. The hall has to be more than 100' wide, although it's difficult to gauge precise distances in the watery darkness. Some 200' ahead, massive columns rise up from the floor, thick as ancient copperwood trunks.

Anyone, please make a Perception check.
Oct 16, 2020 6:14 pm
Zangua tries to look around, paying special attention to any access to the surface.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(10) + 6 = 16

Oct 16, 2020 6:24 pm
There seems to be a faint, diffuse bluish glow far ahead, where the temple's inner sanctum would be.
Oct 16, 2020 7:29 pm
Zangua heads to the sanctum.
Oct 16, 2020 9:42 pm
Zangua swims ahead. The wide doorway to the sanctum is open, and as he draws closer Zangua can see that there is indeed a light source of some sort illuminating the enormous chamber under the dome.

A large round pedestal stands before the doorway, with broken stonework scattered on and around it.
Oct 19, 2020 8:09 pm
Can we tell what the broken stonework was? A door? A statue?
Oct 20, 2020 5:19 pm
It appears as though the pedestal held a large statue made of bluish-green granite, but it's difficult to tell what it was -- the recognizably carved parts you can see do not resemble any part of the human form.

Blocky, primitive ideograms are carved all around the side of the pedestal.

Make an Investigation check if you're interested in learning more about the statue.
Oct 20, 2020 9:36 pm
As Zangua approaches the doorway, Felor pauses for a moment to examine the broken statue.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Oct 21, 2020 5:18 pm
Felor cannot make sense of what the statue was intended to represent, but he notes that the broken edges are sharp and clean, as if the shattering had occurred quite recently.
Oct 21, 2020 5:22 pm
Zangua is prepared to continue forward through the open doorway, once everyone is ready.
Oct 22, 2020 1:33 am
Leth follows closely behind Felor, his desire to be able to see his surroundings overriding his tactical awareness that, should they be attacked by any undersea creatures, they would probably be drawn to the light first.

He too tries to make sense of the carvings on the pedestal.

Rolls

investigation - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Oct 22, 2020 4:46 pm
The blue light in the sanctum seems to waver as Zangua gets closer to the entrance. Inside he can see the dimly illuminated outlines of another statue on a pedestal, this one intact -- an enormous seated figure, perhaps.

Some of the carvings look like recognizable things to Leth: a house, a pair of crossed lances, a crablike creature, a king. But the style of these carvings is like nothing he has seen before, and he cannot be sure of his interpretations.
Oct 22, 2020 7:52 pm
Indicating the edges of the smashed stonework, Felor mimes to Leth that the statue has been destroyed fairly recently, before turning to follow Zangua towards the inner sanctum.
Oct 22, 2020 8:16 pm
You guys can talk. This water-breathing potion you're all on is pretty deluxe.
Oct 22, 2020 11:54 pm
I don't want to make noise(? if talking underwater makes noise?) in case there's someone/thing nearby.
Oct 24, 2020 3:01 am
Domarc squints at the carvings, trying to ascertain if any of them might be a six pointed crown.
Oct 25, 2020 5:07 pm
Leth nods at Felor's gestures and follows close behind him, staying in the light. As they go, he repeatedly looks all around them, wary of any underwater beasts that might lurk in the shadows and try to sneak up on them.
Oct 25, 2020 5:17 pm
Zangua continues forward, approaching the intact statue. He looks around for other exits from the chamber.
Oct 27, 2020 11:10 pm
Domarc sees no six-pronged crowns.

Entering the sanctum, Zangua can see that the dome of the temple holds a large pocket of air, and that the light coming from above is wavering because of the motion of the water's surface above them. The statue, a primitive colossus of Nethuns enthroned, sits with his head and shoulders above the surface. Waist-high steps lead up to the dais where the statue rests, but the only creatures Leth sees are a pair of small translucent fish that dart past his face. The water is noticeably colder inside the sanctum.

The light itself seems to be coming from a large triangular panel in the ceiling of the dome that glows a bright pale blue.
Nov 5, 2020 5:54 am
Instinctively, Leth swims up towards the pocket of air to get his head out of the water, even if only for a moment, and to see what's up there.
Nov 5, 2020 6:02 am
Zangua follows, about 10 feet away from Leth.
Nov 5, 2020 5:58 pm
Leth surfaces. The massive head of Nethuns looms above him, its face worn smooth by centuries of submersion. A small amount of what looks like ice and snow has accumulated on the statue's crown and shoulders. Leth looks up.

Behind the statue's left shoulder, a wedge seems to have been cut out of the ceiling of the dome, coming to a point at its apex. The light coming through this apex is bright and cold. The water sizzles and cracks as it laps against the bottom edge of this inexplicable window.

An icy breeze brushes Leth's cheeks. As his eyes adjust to the brightness, he sees a landscape through the window, broad steep slopes of glacial ice, opalescent with faint pink and blue-green hues.
Nov 6, 2020 6:07 pm
Zangua swims for the air pocket. "That seems very familiar," he says when witnessing the window.

He swims for the opening to inspect the landscape.
Last edited November 6, 2020 6:08 pm
Nov 6, 2020 7:23 pm
Zangua recognizes immediately this place he has dreamed of so many times: it is the glacier of Caltlikrath in the Eight Circle of Hell.

His first impulse is to hurl himself through the portal and surrender to the cold, but he resists it.
Nov 16, 2020 6:39 pm
Somebody make a Perception check!
Nov 16, 2020 6:51 pm
"Is this where we're supposed to go?" Zangua asks. "Where else, if not this?"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Nov 17, 2020 5:53 pm
"I dunno, I kinda thought it'd be buried in the water somewhere. But I'd be thrilled if we don't have to keep swimming around." Leth says with a shudder.
Last edited November 19, 2020 7:22 pm

Rolls

Percepting - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Nov 17, 2020 9:40 pm
Leth sees faint tracks in some of the ice beyond the portal.
Nov 18, 2020 1:34 am
Leth squints as he notices the tracks.

"Hold on... I think I see something over there. Footprints, maybe." He turns to Zangua.

"We should get the others."
Nov 18, 2020 1:36 am
"Gods, I was hoping we wouldn't have to go in there," Zangua says. He descends to signal the others to come up.
Nov 19, 2020 1:50 am
"I'll, uh... I'll wait up here."
OOC:
Were there any other doors/exits in the Sanctum?
Nov 19, 2020 6:20 pm
You only know of the main entrance, but you haven't fully explored the structure -- it's dark and full of mud and silt, so difficult to see without investigating closely.
Nov 24, 2020 10:50 pm
You hear strange cries and rumble of distant thunder from beyond the portal.
Nov 24, 2020 10:56 pm
Once he signals the others, Zangua returns to the surface. "We going in?" he asks Leth. Already he reaches out to pull himself through the portal.
Nov 30, 2020 7:37 pm
In the interest of encouraging things to proceed smoothly to the conclusion, yes you should all go through the portal no it's not a trap. Would it work better for whoever's still around to plan on taking things slow through December and reconvening for the final events of the campaign after the holidays?
Nov 30, 2020 8:08 pm
Zangua steps out onto the glacier, then reaches back to help the others through. "Should have bought some long underwear," he grumbles.
OOC:
I'll be around for the holidays, but I can take any pace that's needed. I plan on seeing this to the end.
Dec 1, 2020 11:29 pm
Felor steels himself for the cold beyond the portal. He's no stranger to ice and blizzards, but usually when traversing a mountain pass or desolate glacier he wasn't sopping wet. Nevertheless as he steps through into the snow, he feels curiously warm, and moving across the icy surface poses no problems. Of course! The boots*! Well these are certainly paying off, he thinks to himself as he scans the horizon.
[ +- ] *Boots of the Winterlands
Last edited December 1, 2020 11:29 pm
Dec 1, 2020 11:30 pm
OOC:
Happy to push through the holiday season! Will try and check in more frequently
Last edited December 1, 2020 11:30 pm
Dec 1, 2020 11:51 pm
OOC:
I am here! But I probably won't be around much the last couple weeks of december.
Leth follows the others out of the water and immediately begins shivering as the frigid air meets his wet frame.

"D-d-d-don't suppose someone has a m-m-m-means of drying us off real quick?" He asks as he rubs his arms vigorously.
Dec 3, 2020 6:01 pm
A strange sensation comes over each of you as you step through the portal, as though you were passing through a thick film. Your sense feel sharper, your body more distant, as if the metaphor of the body as a puppet animated by the spirit suddenly became more palpably literal. In is mind Felor sees a flashing image of Fjorgyn's face, stricken; and then she is gone.

Warmth radiates upward through Felor's body through his boots. Zangua feels the cold intensely, yet it does not bother him; there is a part of him that feels at home in this world of ice.

Leth immediately sinks to his knees, paralyzed by the cold.

You are in a glacial valley with sheer walls of multihued ice rising up to your left and right. A narrow canyon backed hard with snow slopes downward before you; there are human footprints leading away. Above you, a thick steely gray haze hangs low in the sky.
Dec 3, 2020 11:06 pm
Despite the magical warmth flooding his body, Felor feels a chill as he realises he is perhaps beyond the reach of Fjorgyn now.

I don't suppose I can use Control Water to dry off Leth? 🥶
Dec 4, 2020 12:06 am
BullOctorok sent a note to notinventedhere
Dec 7, 2020 9:21 pm
Felor notices Zangua appears unaffected by the intense cold, but Leth suddenly falls to his knees, a pained look on his face and his soaking clothing already starting to frost over. "Fjorgyn's breath! We have to dry him off!"
Felor thinks frantically for a moment, then reaches out a hand towards Leth, saying under his breath "Fjorgyn! Hear me!"

Cast Control Water in an attempt to expel the water from Leth's clothing.
Last edited December 7, 2020 9:21 pm
Dec 7, 2020 10:04 pm
For a long moment, nothing seems to happen. Leth feels himself in the grip of icy talons as all the warmth leaves his body, then the pain seems to take on a fiery character as it consumes him from the outside in. He cannot hear his companions, nor see the otherwordly glacial valley that threatens to stamp out his very spark of life. His vision contacts to a black and empty tunnel.

BullOctorok sent a note to thedandyman
With a sudden loud clap! snow and ice shards burst outward from Leth in a violent cloud. Sweat runs down his forehead; he feels feverish but alive. He can feel a deathly chill surrounding him, but an inner fire burning within him keeps it at bay -- for now.
Dec 8, 2020 1:44 am
"We have to hurry before he freezes," says Zangua. Hooking Leth's arm around his shoulders, he hustles the man forward while following the trail.
Dec 8, 2020 6:03 am
Zangua begins to lead the way down and through the crevasse, following the trail of footsteps. After about half a mile, the ice walls narrow to a gap of about thirty feet wide. Beyond this gap there appears to be a wider, bowl-shaped valley surrounded by tall crags of ice. Mist and snow obscure your view into this frozen cirque.
Dec 8, 2020 5:36 pm
Zangua presses on. "Maybe we can find shelter there," he says.
Dec 8, 2020 8:03 pm
Zangua stops in his tracks as he draws within fifty feet of the opening. Six shadowed, mist-shrouded figures stand some distance behind the entrance, each easily ten feet tall, bipedal but unnaturally bent and proportioned. Each holds a long pole weapon. Behind them is an enormous altar of some sort, upon which rests a massive, unidentifiable dark object. Faint glowing sparks flicker in and out of life, circling around it.

Before them, just beyond the opening, is a human figure, dressed in a tight-fitting black garment but caked in ice and snow. Beside him, the Iron Sphere of Sthombo floats a few feet above the ground.

The man takes a few steps forward. The crust of ice upon him obscures his face, but you can see wild blue eyes and a delirious grin. It is Gavrel Gorham.

"Here you are!" he cries. "You can see that I have won the race and its prize, but I am glad to have you here with us, here at the end of all things." Gorham starts to walk forward, giving the Iron Sphere a playful pat as he goes. It floats backward toward the altar. "You are worthy rivals and it has brought me joy to overcome you. Sadly, you can go no further. The gateway is soon to open, and only the elect may witness what is to come. My lord Mecafrelon! I beseech you, slay these men, for I cannot tarry!"

Gorham kicks his legs back and floats backward, following the Sphere. At the same time, one of the tall creatures behind him springs forward with unsettlingly quick strides, emerging into full view at the mouth of the opening. Standing on thin, birdlike legs, its chitinous body is a silvery blue color with thick clawed arms that hold a stone voulge easily 14' long. It has a long, barbed tail and an inscrutable, insectoid head, like that of a hornet, with multifaceted eyes that seem to stare at everything and nothing at once.

Roll for initiative!
Dec 8, 2020 8:31 pm
Zangua sighs. "Here we go," he mutters, removing himself from Leth to wield his glaive.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Dec 10, 2020 8:11 pm
"What manner of devil is this?" Felor asks no-one in particular has he hefts his mace and grits his teeth.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Dec 11, 2020 4:39 am
Leth rubs his hands together and puts them up to his face to blow on them, trying to limber up his fingers, before drawing his bow.

Rolls

initiative - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Dec 11, 2020 6:36 pm
With a swift and sudden motion, the devil plunges the butt of his weapon into the ground and utters a brief incantation in a deep, growling whisper punctuated with the sickening clacking sounds of its mouthparts. Ice crystals begin to sprout from the narrow canyon walls between the entrance to the cirque, growing and thickening and lancing toward each other to form, in a matter of seconds, a solid frozen wall, sealing off the passage.

Party members, it's your turn!

Rolls

Ice Devil initiative - (1d20+2)

Dec 12, 2020 1:15 am
Zangua engages the creature, striking with his glaive in a flurry of attacks.[ooc]Moving to within 5 feet of the ice devil.
Action: Attack, Extra Attack with Glaive +2
Bonus Action: Polearm Master attack.
Reaction: If Ice Devil attacks anyone other than me, using Sentinel feat to make another Glaive attack.[ooc]

Rolls

Glaive+2, Slashing Damage - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d20+10 : (19) + 10 = 29

1d10+7 : (2) + 7 = 9

Extra Attack, Slashing Damage - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d20+10 : (9) + 10 = 19

1d10+7 : (10) + 7 = 17

Bonus Action Polearm Master, Bludgeoning Damage - (1d20+10, 1d4+7)

1d20+10 : (17) + 10 = 27

1d4+7 : (3) + 7 = 10

Critical hit on natural 19 (Champion) - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Dec 12, 2020 12:28 pm
Is the ice wall behind the devil?
Dec 13, 2020 2:47 am
Yes. Here's a rough map:

https://i.imgur.com/6RFfgZL.jpeg
Dec 13, 2020 11:57 am
Felor follows Zangua's lead, charging in to engage the devil with his mace.

Rolls

Mace of Disruption attack - (1d20+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

Mace base damage - (1d6+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

If this is a fiend or undead, extra radiant damage! - (2d6)

(44) = 8

Divine Strike, fire damage - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Dec 13, 2020 11:57 am
Some amazing extra damage rolls there on a 4 attack roll.
Dec 18, 2020 5:36 pm
In the meantime, give me some Insight checks!
Dec 18, 2020 7:20 pm
Zangua studies the situation quickly, though he is focused on defending against the creature's attacks.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

Dec 18, 2020 11:54 pm
Felor tries to glean something useful from the devil's movements as he recovers from his first, missed strike.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Dec 19, 2020 5:52 am
OOC:
Would fire arrows work fresh out of the sea? lol
Leth steps to the side, trying to get a clear shot at the creature past his allies, and lets loose two arrows in quick succession.
Last edited December 20, 2020 9:52 pm

Rolls

Attack 1 - (1d20+11, 1d8+8)

1d20+11 : (13) + 11 = 24

1d8+8 : (6) + 8 = 14

Attack 2 - (1d20+11, 1d8+8)

1d20+11 : (11) + 11 = 22

1d8+8 : (6) + 8 = 14

Extra Colossus Slayer damage (if it's below HP maximum) - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Dec 21, 2020 12:20 am
Zangua descends with a fury upon the ice devil, slashing once, twice, then smashing the butt of his glaive into the fiend's belly to launch himself back away from it. Even in the heat of combat, he dimly recalls the words the elf Pafthinel spoke about the purpose of the Iron Sphere:
Quote:
"A proper arrangement of ordinary magnetic stones at that point would collapse the magnetic field around the Sphere into a vortex, creating a conduit between the two from anywhere in the Multiverse."
Behind the ice wall, a cyclone of mist swirls about, lifting bright sparks up to the menacing sky. If Gorham has already managed to send some signal to his cultists, it could be only a matter of moments before the Iron Sphere opens up its gateway to the city of Hazard.

Meanwhile, Felor closes on his foe and swings his mace with an intimidating Jermal war cry, but the devil dances away with uncanny grace as two of Leth's arrows embed themselves in its flank. The devil does not even seem to notice them. Instead, it swivels its head toward Zangua and thrusts its weapon at him. At the same time, it flicks its tail around like a whip toward Felor.

Zangua, take your Sentinel feat attack.

Edit: Zangua takes a hard blow from the devil's weapon, but Felor throws himself flat to avoid the tail lashing over his head.

Party, it's your turn again.

Rolls

Ice Devil voulge attack vs Zangua - (1d20+10, 2d8+5)

1d20+10 : (16) + 10 = 26

2d8+5 : (34) + 5 = 12

Ice Devil tail attack vs Felor - (1d20+10, 2d6+5)

1d20+10 : (2) + 10 = 12

2d6+5 : (16) + 5 = 12

Dec 21, 2020 12:42 am
Zangua reacts as the devil's tail lashes out, bringing his glaive down to thwart the attack upon Felor. He continues his flurry of attacks, hacking away at the devil.
[ +- ] [url=https://gamersplane.com/characters/dnd5/831/

Rolls

Reaction, Sentinel Feat - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d20+10 : (10) + 10 = 20

1d10+7 : (9) + 7 = 16

Attack, Slashing Damage - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d20+10 : (1) + 10 = 11

1d10+7 : (4) + 7 = 11

1d20+10 : (15) + 10 = 25

Bonus Action, Bludgeoning Damage - (1d20+10, 1d4+7)

1d20+10 : (14) + 10 = 24

1d4+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

Dec 21, 2020 12:58 am
OOC:
What kind of check would I need to do to see if fire arrows or silver arrows would be more effective?
Dec 21, 2020 1:56 am
Rolling back onto his feet, Felor attempts to attack the devil while it's distracted by Zangua's flurry of strikes.

Rolls

(1) + 7 = 8

(4) + 4 = 8

(42) = 6

(4) = 4

Dec 21, 2020 1:57 am
😱 Fjorgyn has forsaken me
Dec 21, 2020 2:55 am
Leth furrows his brow as he realizes his arrows aren't being as effective as he'd hoped, and considers the other options in his arsenal...
OOC:
edit: fantastic
thedandyman sent a note to BullOctorok
Last edited December 21, 2020 5:58 am

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Dec 26, 2020 2:52 am
I can't even remember where you picked those fire arrows up...answers and updates (and a cool surprise) tomorrow. Merry Christmas, party!
Dec 27, 2020 6:22 pm
Leth, let's treat these arrows as magic arrows imbued with the Flame Arrows spell, so they will do base damage (but count as magical) + 1d6 fire damage on a hit. Sound good?

Combat update later today, in the meantime please hop over to the Character Concepts & Campaign Info thread for a visual aid.
Dec 28, 2020 5:32 pm
Zangua slashes at the lashing tail but misses, runs back up to the devil to swing again at suddenly empty air, then executes a swift spinning attack that hits the devil's leg, first with the blade and then with the butt of the pole. Felor raises his mace and charges in for a blow, but misses.

Leth still has an action to take.
Jan 5, 2021 5:49 pm
BullOctorok says:
I can't even remember where you picked those fire arrows up...
OOC:
I think I asked if I could buy some at one of the towns we stopped at way back. I honestly don't really remember either. I do remember we found some silver arrows, I think on Vorch? I really wish these forums had a search function, that would make this way easier lol
"Okay, let's try something new." Leth mutters to himself, and draws two of his enchanted flame arrows, setting them to the string simultaneously. He takes a deep breath, aims, and lets them loose together at the demon.

Rolls

Arrow 1 - (1d20+11, 1d8+8, 1d6)

1d20+11 : (3) + 11 = 14

1d8+8 : (7) + 8 = 15

1d6 : (2) = 2

Arrow 2 - (1d20+11, 1d8+8, 1d6)

1d20+11 : (9) + 11 = 20

1d8+8 : (2) + 8 = 10

Colossus slayer - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Jan 7, 2021 7:57 pm
One flaming arrow sinks into the devil's hide; the other narrowly misses. The devil swivels its head to hold Leth in its blank and menacing stare, even as it presses its attack against Zangua.

Edit: Well familiar with the ways of polearm combat, Zangua dodges the devil's weapon, only to be bashed hard in the back by its tail.

Party members, it's your turn.

Rolls

1d20+10 : (5) + 10 = 15

2d8+5 : (65) + 5 = 16

Ice Devil tail attack vs Zangua - (1d20+10, 2d6+5)

1d20+10 : (13) + 10 = 23

2d6+5 : (42) + 5 = 11

Jan 7, 2021 8:07 pm
Zangua presses his attacks, knowing they must get through that blasted ice wall if they want to put an end to Gorham.

Rolls

Attack Glaive +2, Slashing Damage - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d20+10 : (7) + 10 = 17

1d10+7 : (3) + 7 = 10

Bonus Action Polearm Master, Bludgeoning Damage - (1d20+10, 1d4+7)

1d4+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

Jan 11, 2021 8:07 am
Leth gets a little nervous as the Devil locks eyes with him.

"Well, that got it's attention." He mumbles before letting loose two more fire arrows.

Rolls

Fire Arrow - (1d20+11, 1d8+8, 1d6)

1d20+11 : (16) + 11 = 27

1d8+8 : (1) + 8 = 9

1d20+11 : (5) + 11 = 16

1d8+8 : (5) + 8 = 13

1d6 : (6) = 6

Colossus slayer - (1d8)

(5) = 5

Jan 13, 2021 11:24 pm
Zangua continues to batter away at the devil, missing with one swing as it dances away from him but landing another two-strike combination that leaves a spray of boiling black ichor on the icy ground. Leth, meanwhile, manages to put another burning arrow into the devil's hide.

Behind the ice wall, a swirl of mist rises up to the sky, carrying bright sparks with it. You hear a roar like wind through a tunnel, and see several silent flashes of bright blue light.

Felor, you're up.
Jan 14, 2021 12:28 am
Roaring as he tries for a third time to strike the fiend, Felor lashes out at the injured creature.
[ +- ] Mace of Disruption

Rolls

(4) + 7 = 11

(1) + 4 = 5

(22) = 4

(2) = 2

Jan 14, 2021 5:33 pm
Confounded again by the devil's unnaturally quick motions, Felor swings at air. The fiend, meanwhile, continues to treat Zangua as its biggest threat. It swings its tail from the right and its voulge from the left, trying to catch Zangua in a deadly scissoring attack.

Edit: Unable to dodge in time, Zangua is smashed between the converging blows, leaving him sprawled on the ground with the wind knocked out of him. He rises quickly as the devil backsteps, voulge already back to a ready position, a low hiss escaping its mandibles. Behind the ice wall, the whirlwind of mist and sparks continues to spin.

And now it's your turn again, party.

Rolls

1d20+10 : (20) + 10 = 30

2d8+5 : (28) + 5 = 15

Ice Devil tail attack vs Zangua - (1d20+10, 2d6+5)

1d20+10 : (15) + 10 = 25

2d6+5 : (45) + 5 = 14

Jan 14, 2021 5:58 pm
Zangua had hoped to save some of his energy for the inevitable fight with Gorham, but this ice devil proves too much of a threat. Reasoning that if they can't get past this guard they'll have no chance at all, Zangua fights with all his might, whirling his glaive in rapid strikes.
OOC:
Action Surge!
Bonus Action: Second Wind!
Last edited January 14, 2021 5:59 pm

Rolls

Attack Glaive +2, Slashing Damage - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d10+7 : (5) + 7 = 12

1d10+7 : (4) + 7 = 11

Action Surge Attack, Slashing Damage - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d20+10 : (9) + 10 = 19

Action Surge Extra Attack, Slashing Damage - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d20+10 : (8) + 10 = 18

1d10+7 : (9) + 7 = 16

Bonus Action Second Wind - (1d10+8)

(6) + 8 = 14

Critical Hit on natural 19 - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Jan 14, 2021 6:57 pm
Zangua rushes the devil, hacking at its knuckles as it raises the pole of the voulge to defend itself, landing three successive strikes before raising his glaive high and bringing it down hard across the devil's mouthparts with a loud wet crack.

The ice devil Mecafrelon slumps backward, its face split in two. Ichor drips down onto its belly, and for a moment it seems to struggle to move, as if it is attempting to rise up again but cannot. Then, very suddenly, its carapace turns gray and brittle and a great gush of oily black liquid gushes from its mortal wound. The ice beneath it steams and cracks as the pool of ichor expands while the rapidly withering body crumples into it. Behind it, sheets of the ice wall begin to turn powdery and slough off.
Jan 14, 2021 8:30 pm
Seeing their foe vanquished, Felor turns and charges towards the ice wall, shoulder first.

Attempting to shoulder-barge my way through the disintegrating wall.
Last edited January 14, 2021 8:30 pm
Jan 14, 2021 8:57 pm
The remnants of the wall yield immediately to Felor's shoulder.

Inside the cirque, the massive stone altar is now empty -- whatever was resting on it is now gone, along with Gorham and the five remaining devils. Before the altar, shrouded by the swirl of mist and sparks and snow, is a flickering, revolving window into darkness that jitters and changes its shape rapidly as it spins on its axis. Surrounding it, scattered about the ground, are twisted fragments of iron sunken into pits of melted ice.
Jan 18, 2021 6:10 am
https://media.tenor.com/images/73f623f09c9e696b31ede01b013c6c58/tenor.png

"I really hope we're not too late." Leth says to the others as they survey the altar. "But there's only one way to find out...."

He looks back at his companions.

"Any objections to jumping through the spooky portal?"
Jan 18, 2021 5:48 pm
"None from me," says Zangua. "We already went through one window; might as well make it a habit."
Jan 21, 2021 5:21 am
Leth takes a deep breath, shakes his head, and says, "Alright then. Let's go."

And attempts to take a step into the flickering window in front of them.
Jan 21, 2021 6:05 pm
Are you all going together?
Jan 21, 2021 7:22 pm
Zangua immediately follows.
Jan 21, 2021 11:30 pm
Leth steps into the strange portal. As it rotates around him, he begins to feel an intense pressure all around his mind and body. Everything goes dark. His thoughts drift aimlessly in an empty, dreamlike void for an unknowable length of time.

He awakens retching on his hands and knees in a pool of freezing, slushy water.

"There's more! More came through! Run! Run!" somebody screams. He hears the slap of feet running on cobblestones.

Leth stands up and feels a rush of dizziness; wobbling, he tries to fix his eyes on something, but it's nighttime and he struggles to focus his vision in the darkness. The people who were screaming -- three of them -- seem to be running toward a large stone building that looks vaguely familiar. Firelight from somewhere nearby illuminates his immediate surroundings. He seems to be in the midst of the wreckage of some shattered structure of stone and wood. Zangua and Felor are here too, not far from him, looking just as shellshocked. Zangua is lying next to a large piece of painted plaster, rubbing his eyes. Felor is coughing next to a fallen statue of a female divinity.

There is some din in the near distance. Screaming and shouting and stomping and crunching sounds all mixed together.
Jan 22, 2021 12:10 am
"I take it back," groans Zangua, on his knees. "I don't wanna make it a habit."

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Jan 22, 2021 12:53 am
Anyone, feel free to make an Insight or Perception check.
Jan 22, 2021 6:52 pm
Though disoriented -- he feel as though he's just been rudely awakened from a twelve-hour nap -- Zangua understands that they must be back in Hazard. He gets up and realizes he is standing in the middle of the blasted ruins of the Shrine of Culsu.

He glances around as his eyes adjust. There are mangled bodies in the surrounding plaza, a guardsman and a few others. To his right, he sees a few people cowering behind the pillars of Ziu-Pater's temple some distance away. Three others are running towards them. The plaza is otherwise empty, but in the distance he hears shouting and screaming and other unidentifiable noises.
Jan 27, 2021 5:07 am
OOC:
Gonna be real busy the next several days. Might not get a reply in again til next week.
"I prefer the portal to the ocean..." Leth says as he tries to regain his balance and get a clear look at their surroundings.

"Well. They sure worked fast, didn't they?"
He comments with a grimace as he surveys the scene. "I'll bet we'll find them if we follow the screaming."

Rolls

Perception, just in case - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Jan 27, 2021 3:55 pm
"Who's there?" Zangua calls out to the three running individuals.
OOC:
Are the three running towards the party, or to the temple?
Jan 27, 2021 5:52 pm
Away from you, toward the temple.

The running men don't answer, but one figure tentatively leans out from behind one of the pillars. Leth thinks he recognizes her as the same priestess of Erat who confronted them on the last night they were in this place, when they fought Adan Tuell and encountered Gorham for the first time. She seems to have a brief whispered exchange with the man hiding beside her, and the she steps forward.

"You there! You men," she calls out to the party. "Whence have you come?"
Feb 3, 2021 5:00 pm
While the priestess awaits her answer, you hear a crashing, booming sound to the east. There are bells ringing through the city.
Feb 3, 2021 5:05 pm
"We came after Gorham," answers Zangua, momentarily looking to the east. "Pointing out which way he went would be a good help."
Feb 3, 2021 5:46 pm
"The witch-man who flies through the air, singing and laughing? His destination is the Isle of Ilhaz, or so I gathered from his deranged words. The alleys are too narrow for his retinue of fiends and the monstrosity they carry upon a bier. He led them south, to the Avenue of Commerce that leads to the Great Drawbridge." She hesitates. "And if you have followed him here to stop him, I will pray to Erat to guard your lives and intercede with the Lord Ziu-Pater to grant you success."

A few more people come running out of the alleys to the east, two of them clutching small children in their arms. One man sees the priestess and drops to his knees, crying, "Mother, help us! Sanctuary, please! It is the end of all and everything!"

The priestess casts one last glance back at the party, then jogs off to comfort her people.
Feb 5, 2021 9:13 pm
"Thanks. We'll certainly try." Leth says before taking off running in the direction of the drawbridge.
Feb 5, 2021 10:02 pm
Do you want to follow the route she thinks they took, or try a shortcut through the narrow alleys leading directly east?
Feb 8, 2021 2:28 am
Maybe a shortcut? What do you guys think?

Domarc could probably take us a shorter way but idk if he's here or if we left him in the sunken temple lol
Feb 8, 2021 4:56 pm
"Let's see if we can cut them off, unless they've already made it to the drawbridge," says Zangua. "Don't know what she meant by a 'great monstrosity' but if it slows them down we can catch up."
OOC:
Shortcut!
Feb 8, 2021 6:24 pm
Alright, let's have a Perception, Investigation, or Survival check from each of you -- player's choice.
Feb 8, 2021 6:33 pm
Zangua tries to navigate the alleyways as though running through the wilderness, keeping an eye out for potential pitfalls as he goes.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Feb 9, 2021 12:55 am
Out of his element in the big city, Leth tries to keep a clear mental image of the city in his head as they navigate the alleys, trying to maintain an eastward path.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Feb 9, 2021 12:56 am
I think maybe we're not gonna find a shortcut.
Feb 9, 2021 6:56 pm
Leth and Zangua lead the way, but soon find themselves running down a dead-end street where a young woman is consoling a boy of about eleven years. "Did you see it...what was it..." he keeps stammering. "It was horrible...what was it?"

"I don't know, I don't know," the woman says. "It passed us. We're safe now..."

To your left, an older man stands on the roof of a two-story building, his gaze trained intently to the east.
Feb 11, 2021 3:52 am
"The crazy man!" Leth yells out to the man on the roof. "Where did he go?"
Feb 11, 2021 6:04 pm
The man remans transfixed by whatever it is he can see from the rooftop, and does not seem to notice that Leth is addressing him.
Feb 11, 2021 6:37 pm
"Let's move," says Zangua. "Maybe we double back and try a different route?"
Feb 11, 2021 7:37 pm
Doubling back and heading down a lane of silent workshops, Zangua comes to the Avenue of Commerce, and finds unmistakable evidence of Gorham's infernal procession. Market stalls have been knocked down and shattered, pools of icy water fill the depressions in the street, and a few guardsmen and civilians lay dead on the ground. Aside from a few looters furtively picking at the merchandise spilled all about, the street is strangely empty and quiet. Most of the windows in the buildings overlooking the avenue are shuttered.
Feb 17, 2021 7:03 pm
To be clear, you are now on the trail of the devils' procession and should have a clear path to follow them to their destination.
Feb 17, 2021 8:12 pm
"By Forgyn's mercy..." mutters Felor, surveying the destruction. He looks around quickly to see of the victims are still clinging to life.
Feb 17, 2021 8:50 pm
"I don't think we got time for that," Zangua says to Felor.
Feb 17, 2021 10:14 pm
All the bodies in your immediate vicinity appear to be fully deceased.
Feb 18, 2021 1:42 am
Zangua says as he picks up the pace, "Come on, we can see where they're headed."
Feb 18, 2021 8:25 am
The party makes haste past the wreckage in the streets, soon reaching the long bridge that leads to the south shore of the Isle of Ilhaz. A small crowd has gathered near the gatehouse, watching. There are several guardsmen among them, but they seem to have no intention of crossing the bridge to pursue the strange invaders who have entered their city.

You can see them in the moonlight, approaching the mastaba: the five remaining ice devils, carrying a bier upon which rests a massive object with an elongated ovoid shape, reddish-black in shape and seeming to faintly glow with some malevolent inner light. Above them all, the small dark shape of Gavrel Gorham flits about in the air.
Feb 18, 2021 4:50 pm
"Is there any way we can get him down?" Zangua asks, indicating the flying Gorham. "Preferably away from his crew. I ain't that keen on taking on five devils."
Feb 18, 2021 6:06 pm
You're too far to do anything from here -- the bridge itself is at least 500 feet long.
Feb 18, 2021 9:19 pm
Does there seem to be anyone else with them other than the 5 devils and Gorham?
Feb 18, 2021 9:21 pm
There are others on the isle, but from here you can't tell whether they're followers, guardsmen, or just observers. For the moment, everyone seems to be keeping a fair amount of distance from the procession.
Feb 24, 2021 11:42 pm
Does the party want to cross the bridge and approach Gorham et al, or will you continue observing from the other side of the river?
Feb 25, 2021 4:59 am
Zangua looks to his companions. "Well, for lack of a better idea, we can go down swinging," he says, and jogs off to pursue Gorham and the devils.
Feb 27, 2021 7:27 pm
Zangua crosses the bridge.

A few men in finery stand with a trio of guards near the gatehouse at the far side, watching as the procession closes in on the Mastaba. Here on the isle, none have dared to impede them, the few guards and residents who saw them approach gave way fast, and those who did not flee stand a long distance away, watching the unfolding of an event beyond their comprehension.

Gently, the five devils lower the bier to the ground.

One man at the gatehouse cocks his head, and a few necks turn. Someone is approaching from the north.

Is the rest of the party following Zangua over?
Mar 1, 2021 4:18 am
Leth follows Zangua with all haste, bow ready.
Mar 5, 2021 5:02 pm
The group coming over from the north bank consists of about twenty people, many of them in brown cloaks, most of them visibly armed.

Please make a Perception check.
Mar 5, 2021 8:49 pm
Leth eyes the armed group warily as they approach.

Rolls

percepting - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

Mar 5, 2021 9:35 pm
Leth immediately identifies the Hierophant and his aide Lendras leading the group. The Hierophant carries a long staff and has a broadsword sheathed at his belt.
Mar 5, 2021 11:28 pm
Zangua asks dryly, "Friends of yours?"
Mar 8, 2021 8:14 pm
The Hierophant appears to ignore Zangua, but once he draws closer he replies. "Hopes were high that you might kill this mad wizard, or at least keep him from the Sphere. It appears he has gotten the better of you."

The devils have laid the Pharate down before the Mastaba. In this light and angle it resembles a fly-pupa made of clotted blood. Gorham levitates high above it, singing, but you cannot make out his words. About fifty cultists encircle them from a respectful distance of about thirty feet.

"I do not know if the blood of Ilhaz will awaken this...lifeform they have recovered," the Hierophant says. "But a small pool of the stuff does remain, many meters below the ground. Sealed away with stone and mortar, nothing more. They will reach it well before sunrise if they are not stopped, and right now the finest warriors in Hazard, the elite of the city guard, are busy covering the evacuation of the great noble houses to their villas in the hills. If they are to be stopped, it falls to those of us here now." He unhooks the sheathed sword from his belt and hands it to Lendras.

"Master--?"

"I leave the Pharate to you, Lendras. The vorpal blade will pierce it. I for my part will cast the devils back down to Hell. I remain a servant of Aitas, and on this plane he retains authority over their kind." He turns toward Zangua, Leth, and Felor. "My retainers will engage the witch-men. Will you three deal with Gavrel Gorham?"
Mar 8, 2021 8:29 pm
Zangua nods. "Soon as we get close enough and deal with his magic," he adds.
Mar 11, 2021 6:13 pm
The Hierophant's retainers start to charge toward the gathered cultists, Lendras among them, while the Hierophant clutches his staff in both hands, leans his forehead against it, and begins to mutter prayers. Over by the Mastaba, Gorham drifts slowly down to the ground in front of the Pharate, surrounded by the five towering devils.

Party members, what actions are you taking at this point?
Mar 11, 2021 7:23 pm
Zangua chugs the restorative liquid inside his gourd, then grabs a separate potion bottle from his pack and prepares to quaff its contents. If Gorham wants to fly, Zangua will take the battle to the air.
OOC:
If there's time, Zangua will drink some potions of healing; he has three doses and if allowed, he'd like to use all three.

He will also ready a Potion of Flying that I completely forgot I had in my inventory.

Rolls

Gourd of Healing - (2d4+2, 2d4+2, 2d4+2)

2d4+2 : (41) + 2 = 7

2d4+2 : (42) + 2 = 8

2d4+2 : (34) + 2 = 9

Mar 13, 2021 11:06 pm
Seeing that Zangua is still looking worse for wear, Felor places his hand on the warrior's shoulder.
"May Fjorgyn fortify you for the coming battle."

Rolls

Cure Wounds, lvl 2 slot - (2d8+4)

(41) + 4 = 9

Mar 13, 2021 11:22 pm
OOC:
That brings Zangua up to 72/77 HP!
Mar 16, 2021 9:42 pm
The Hierophant's retainers waste no time charging toward the loosely assembled cultists and giving cover to Lendras in her approach to the Pharate. Gorham stays where he is, but the devils begin to advance toward the Mastaba's defenders.

Last chance for pre-combat actions. If you're ready to fight, please roll for initiative.
Mar 16, 2021 10:43 pm
Zangua drinks his potion of flying and charges in, eyes set on Gorham.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Mar 17, 2021 3:57 am
OOC:
Sorry all. Very busy couple of weeks. I'll check back in again this weekend.

Rolls

initiative - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Mar 17, 2021 11:46 pm
"May Fjorgyn guide our hands!"

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Mar 22, 2021 5:29 pm
Gliding a few inches off the ground, Gorham drifts toward you. Abruptly, one of the Hierophant's retainers charges a cultist and cuts him down with a longsword. The devils hold their polearms ready and fan out to flank the small force of attackers while the Hierophant leans his head against his staff, chanting and rocking back and forth. The massive, lurid form of the Pharate seems to expand and contract with some hellish breath, resembling a blood-gorged leech or the extruded lung of some gigantic creature. It makes strange and distressing sounds, croaking and groaning and trilling like a monstrous cricket.

Gorham stops. He looks as serene as any of you have ever seen him. "Yield here," he says quietly, though you can all hear him clearly over the din of the battle that now begins. "You have come so far, and you can bear witness to a thing that no living soul has ever seen before. A creature of pure life, born outside the petty laws of the gods and the arbitrary constraints of Prime Materiality. The supper which has been prepared for it awaits below. The last gift of Ilhaz. Come, help me clear the way. Let us awaken the sleeper and midwife a new Werld into being." He smiles a madman's smile.

Edit: Party, you have the initiative and may take your actions.

Rolls

Gorham initiative - (1d20+2)

Mar 22, 2021 8:20 pm
Zangua charges Gorham, glaive poised for rapid strikes. "Ain't you heard to let sleeping dogs lie?!" he yells, swinging his weapon again and again, ready to take the sky if Gorham chooses to do so.
OOC:
Assuming my speed of 30 is enough to get into melee range...

Rolls

Glaive, slashing damage - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d20+10 : (3) + 10 = 13

Extra Attack, slashing damage - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d20+10 : (7) + 10 = 17

1d10+7 : (6) + 7 = 13

Bonus Action, bludgeoning damage - (1d20+10, 1d4+7)

1d4+7 : (4) + 7 = 11

Mar 25, 2021 10:56 am
Seeing Zangua move in on Gorham, glaive whirling, Felor holds out a hand before him and then grasps it closed while concentrating hard.

Cast Hold Person on Gohram, WIS save DC 15
[ +- ] Hold Person
Mar 29, 2021 5:03 pm
Gorham rises into the air as Zangua charges him, and a fleeting look of surprise crosses his face as Zangua corrects course by taking flight as well. Unused to aerial combat, Zangua's first strike misses, but he clips Gorham in the arm as he swings it back and smashes the butt of the glaive into his chest, sending him cartwheeling backwards through the air to come to a sliding stop on the roof of the Mastaba.

Edit: Felor attempts to restrain Gorham with prayer as he gets knocked back through the air, but when Gorham staggers to his feet on the roof and takes to the air again, he realizes it was unsuccessful.

Though outnumbered, the Hierophant's fighters are managing to keep the less-trained cultists occupied without taking too many casualties. Lendras continues to weave through the battlefield, taking opportunities to cover and assist her compatriots when she can, but working her way closer to the Pharate, which remains guarded by the five ice devils, all of whom seem to be warily focused on the Hierophant himself.

"Aitas walks with me!" the Hierophant roars, thumping his staff on the ground. "The hand of Aitas is upon me! The eye of Aitas sees you! In the name of Aitas, depart from here! Aitas, overtake me! Make me the instrument of Your will!" He bashes the butt of his staff against the ground again and green sparks burst from it, swirling upwards.

Leth is up!

Rolls

Gorham save vs Hold Person - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

Apr 3, 2021 5:46 am
Leth takes a deep breath as he pulls an arrow back to his cheek, aiming high at Gorham.

"For Edvers."
Last edited April 3, 2021 8:29 pm

Rolls

Arrow 1 - (1d20+11, 1d8+8)

1d20+11 : (1) + 11 = 12

1d8+8 : (4) + 8 = 12

Arrow 2 - (1d20+11, 1d8+8)

1d20+11 : (9) + 11 = 20

1d8+8 : (1) + 8 = 9

Colossus slayer - (1d8)

(5) = 5

Apr 6, 2021 12:20 am
Leth aims two high shots. Gorham rises to evade the first but fails to anticipate the even higher shot that follows, which pierces his calf. Swooping around to the south side of the Mastaba, he lifts his hand and three glowing, amber-hued points of light begin to swirl around it. Leth only has time to feel the wizard's gaze upon him and realize that he is the intended target before the lights dart towards him, striking near simultaneously. The pain is searing but short-lived, and Leth keeps his footing.

One of the devils lowers his polearm and begins to charge the Hierophant, who bashes the head of his staff on the ground before him and bellows "Aroint ye! Return to Hell!" A gout of green flame bursts up from the ground in front of the devil, who recoils, staggering. Two of the other devils raise long palisades of jagged ice in front of the Pharate. Lendras turns away from the nearest ice wall to run the long way around it and finds herself confronted by two cultists; she quickly runs one through with her sword and pivots east to run back toward the thick of the fray.

Party members, it's your turn again.

Rolls

Magic Missile damage to Leth - (3d4+3)

(241) + 3 = 10

Apr 6, 2021 12:57 am
Zangua continues his pursuit, glaive leading the way and trying to smash through Gorham's defenses.
OOC:
If Gorham made an attack against Leth while within 5 feet of Zangua, will Zangua's Sentinel feat allow for the use of a Reaction to make another attack? I'll add the roll just in case; ignore if not applicable.

Rolls

Glaive +2, Slashing Damage - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d10+7 : (5) + 7 = 12

1d10+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

Bonus Action, Bludgeoning Damage - (1d20+10, 1d4+7)

1d20+10 : (3) + 10 = 13

Reaction, Slashing Damage - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d10+7 : (6) + 7 = 13

Critical on Extra Attack nat 19 - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Apr 14, 2021 3:31 pm
Leth and Felor, any actions to take?
Apr 15, 2021 5:52 am
Leth recoils at the impact of the magic projectiles, but recovers quickly.

"Alright then. Try this on." He mutters as he loads two of his six remaining fire arrows onto the string at once.

Rolls

1d20+11 : (8) + 11 = 19

1d8+8 : (7) + 8 = 15

1d6 : (4) = 4

Fire Arrow 2 - (1d20+11, 1d8+8, 1d6)

1d20+11 : (11) + 11 = 22

1d8+8 : (5) + 8 = 13

1d6 : (1) = 1

Colossus Slayer - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Apr 19, 2021 9:33 pm
Felor points his spear tip at the flying wizard and fires a golden bolt of light towards him.

Cast Guiding Bolt (on a hit the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage)

Rolls

Guiding Bolt - (1d20+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

Radiant damage - (4d6)

(2131) = 7

Apr 22, 2021 5:12 pm
Zangua rockets up to Gorham and cuts at him with a relentless series of blows, missing only with the blunt end of his glaive. Gorham tumbles backwards and for a fleeting second presents a perfect target for Leth, who puts one flaming arrow into the wizard's leg and another into his shoulder. With a cry, Gorham spirals downward to a rough landing on the roof of the Mastaba as Felor's golden bolt sails past him.

Meanwhile, the Hierophant continues to stand his ground as green sparks crackle and flare at his brow and around his hands and wrists. With a thunderous howl he bashes his staff into the ground again, and for a moment his entire body is wreathed in emerald flames. The devil before him suddenly drops to its knees as if a giant invisible hand placed itself on its neck and shoved it downward. The devil's colors shift strangely, it becomes translucent, and then it is gone. Reeling, the Hierophant staggers backwards, bracing himself against the ground with his staff. Sparks dance around his head.

The banishment of the first devil momentarily turns the tide in the melee between the Six-Pronged Crown and the Hierophant's warriors, who chase the cultists back behind the shelter of the ice walls. Lendras is presumably somewhere behind the walls and cannot be seen.

Atop the Mastaba, Gorham lurches to his feet, shouts a strange word, and flings his hands up into the air. The party is blinded by a brilliant flash of blue light.

Everybody make a Dexterity saving throw.
Apr 22, 2021 5:20 pm
Zangua reels back instinctively and attempts to shield his eyes.

Rolls

Dexterity Save + Ring of Protection - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Apr 22, 2021 8:57 pm
Felor quickly turns his head away from the flash.

Rolls

DEX - (1d20+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Apr 24, 2021 3:40 am
Leth attempts to raise his arm in front of his face in time to block the blinding light.

Rolls

dex save - (1d20+7)

(5) + 7 = 12

Apr 24, 2021 7:35 pm
Sorry Zangua, my mistake -- you weren't in the line of fire.

Zangua watches as a brilliant blue bolt of lightning arcs from Gorham's outstretched arm to the patch of ground where Leth and Felor stand. Dirt and stones explode into the air with a thunderous crack, and Zangua's two companions are tossed like ragdolls.

Edit: After the flash, Leth and Felor find themselves lying prone, staring up at the night sky with sharp waves of pain coursing through their bodies. Felor rolls to his side and sees the Hierophant, his head aflame like an oil-soaked torch, beating the butt of his staff on the ground with a foreboding rhythm. Leth lurches to his knees and orients himself toward the source of the attack. He sees a devil fade from view before the overlapping ice walls, Gorham rising into the sky above. One of the walls cracks; sheets of ice begin to slough off. Leth and Felor stagger to their feet as somebody -- a cultist or ally, who can say -- lets out a dying wail.

Party members, it is your turn again.

Rolls

Lightning Bolt damage to Leth - (8d6)

(34666656) = 42

Lightning Bolt damage to Felor - (8d6)

(51164222) = 23

Apr 25, 2021 9:47 pm
As Felor's blinded by the flash he instinctively reaches out a hand towards Leth, channelling divine energy from the almighty Fjorgyn to shield his companion from some of the damage.

Use my Reaction to use Dampen Elements to grant Leth resistance to Lightning damage.

How far away is Gorham? Specifically in terms of a 20/60 range thrown weapon.
Last edited April 25, 2021 9:49 pm
Apr 27, 2021 3:47 pm
He's about 80' away when on top of the Mastaba and of course flying adds some vertical distance. Should have caught that with the Hold Person spell, oops.

Leth, you take half damage from the Lightning Bolt. You and Zangua can take your turns.
Apr 27, 2021 4:29 pm
Zangua chases after Gorham after mentally recovering from the unexpected blast of lightning. Not wanting to risk another bolt affecting him or his companions, Zangua tries to bring Gorham down from the sky with a few well-placed blows from his glaive.

Rolls

Glaive +2, Slashing Damage - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d20+10 : (8) + 10 = 18

1d10+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

Bonus Action Attack, Bludgeoning Damage - (1d20+10, 1d4+7)

1d20+10 : (4) + 10 = 14

Critical Hit on natural 19 - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Apr 27, 2021 4:55 pm
In the final seconds as Zangua darts toward Gorham, the sorcerer looks up and a look of utter mad delight seizes his face. "He comes! He comes!" Gorham cries out to no-one in particular. "He comes, as prom--"

The words are never finished, and whatever deliverance comes from the skies, Gorham will not see it. The first flying sweep of Zangua's glaive takes Gorham's head from his shoulders, sending it tumbling down to the roof of the Mastaba below. A moment later, Gorham's body follows.

On the ground below, the rest of the devils are beginning to fade from existence, but the cultists are still fighting for their lives against what remains of the Hierophant's fighters, even as the ice walls crumble and collapse. Suddenly, Leth and Felor see a figure spring up on top of the Pharate: Lendras has finally reached her objective. She raises the vorpal sword up high, and falling to her knees plunges it into the chrysalis-like abomination below.

A thick rush of boiling black steam bursts from the wound with a roar. Lendras screams, sharply, for a brief moment, and then is silent.

Oblivious to the chaos unfolding below, Zangua looks up to see what had captured Gorham's attention in his last seconds. He sees a winged white shadow circling high up in the starry sky.

The party members are no longer engaged in combat for now. Anyone may take an action.
Apr 27, 2021 5:20 pm
"Well, dammit," mutters Zangua, his eyes watching the shadow above. He heads back down to rejoin his companions, and asks, "What's going on?"
Apr 28, 2021 8:08 pm
"By Fjorgyn's mighty fist! We have finally stopped that bast-" Felor trails off as he follows Zangua's gaze upwards and spots the winged shape in the sky.
Apr 29, 2021 2:09 am
The white shadow begins to descend in a long spiral over the northern half of the city, revealing a draconic shape.

Before you, ice and slush are all that remain of the ice walls. The devils are gone, cast back to Hell, and the cultists who remain alive -- outnumbering the Hierophant's remaining warriors by more than a few -- stand transfixed at the sight of the horror descending from above, or the remains of the Pharate expiring anticlimactically in front of them, a collapsing and venting shell belching out gray sludge and black steam.

Not far to your right, the skeletal form of the Hierophant smolders prostrate on the ground, still clutching his staff, green flames nibbling away at the flesh of his skull.

Any party member may take an action.
Apr 29, 2021 5:29 pm
"Anybody fought a dragon before?" Zangua asks with a smirk.
OOC:
No action yet, except to Ready a Dodge if the draconic shape attacks.
Apr 30, 2021 5:46 am
Leth shakes his head slowly.

"That's a new one for me." He glances at the headless corpse of Gorham, then at the Pharate, and finally back to the dragon, before downing a dose of healing potion.

"And here I thought we'd won...."

Rolls

Assuming a standard potion of healing from the gourd lendras gave me? - (2d4+2)

(34) + 2 = 9

Apr 30, 2021 3:46 pm
The dragon wheels around sharply to the right, descending fast toward the Isle of Ilhaz.

All of you -- the party, the cultists, and the guardsmen and cityfolk who remain to bear witness -- recoil or cry out as the dragon lands atop the Mastaba at frightening speed. Chunks of rock and masonry fly from where its claws take purchase. Easily forty feet long, the dragon is white with patches of mottle gray and pale blue. A long crest and horns extend back from its head, and along its body scars and missing scales evince past battles. The dragon flexes to steady itself, then looks down at the roof of the Mastaba. It snorts disdainfully, releasing a cloud of icy spray, and flicks its tail, swatting two objects off of the roof of the Mastaba: the head and body of Gavrel Gorham. The body lands near the remains of the Pharate while the head rolls away toward a cultist, who kneels over it but does not touch it.

The dragon raises its head and looks down at the people gathered before it. Its yellowy eyes seem to hold more reptilian cunning than intellect, but you can read confusion and vexation in the creature's visage.

"Gods, spare us!" a woman cries from somewhere behind you.
Apr 30, 2021 3:52 pm
"Well, I had never fought an ice demon before, either," Zangua says to the group with a chuckle. "Might as well drive off a dragon and call it a day?"

He advances towards the icy monster, his eyes grim with a solider's realization of the precarious edge he finds himself on, between life and death.
Apr 30, 2021 6:16 pm
"Dragons are smart, right? Maybe we can talk to it." Leth suggests. "Though I don't remember which ones are good and which ones are bad..." He says, furrowing his brow as he tries to remember.

Can I do a check to see what Leth knows of white dragons? Can it be reasoned with, also, what is it capable of and does it have any weaknesses lol
May 1, 2021 1:01 am
Sure, you can give me an Arcana check.
May 1, 2021 2:25 am
Leth's knowledge of dragons isn't as abundant as his knowledge of small woodland creatures, but he tries to recall what he can.

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

May 2, 2021 12:34 am
"Gods teeth..." Felor mutters to himself. Did Gorham summon this beast from another dimension or just call it from elsewhere in the Werld? Suddenly feeling the sting of his wounds, Felor also takes a swig of healing potion.

Rolls

Healing - (2d4+2)

(42) + 2 = 8

May 2, 2021 4:04 pm
Leth recalls that white dragons can be dim and vile-tempered, but that's about it.

As Zangua advances toward the dragon, he hears a thin, piercing cry from behind him: "Dragon!"

He and the others turn to see the burnt carcass of the Hierophant lurching to its feet, leaning precariously against his cypress staff. He lifts his head. Nearly all of the flesh is gone, but green flames still burn at his brow and temples.

"Aitas preserves me!" the Hierophant cries. "I am the power and authority in Hazard! Begone, dragon! Your ally is dead, you see this yourself! His designs are foiled, this too you can see! Return to your mountain! Return to your cave and your hoard!"

The dragon rears and snorts. Leth glances around. The fighting has stopped, the Hierophant's remnant and the cultists stand terrified and still. The Pharate has melted into a thick black clot on the ground, now utterly devoid of the alien life force that seemed to be radiating from within it just moments ago.

The Hierophant stands up to his full height and raises his staff. Two long tongues of bright green flame flare from its tip as he bellows with an unearthly voice: "BEGONE, DRAGON!"

The dragon lets out a deafening, wrathful screech and lunges forward, taking wing. Among the people gathered, some scream and cower and throw themselves to the ground, but Felor stands and watches as the dragon passes overhead, beats its wings, and wheels in a wide ascending circle to the north. Screeching once more as it climbs into the night sky, the white shadow departs Hazard.

Party members, you may speak or take an action if you like.
May 3, 2021 4:29 pm
Zangua regards the Hierophant suspiciously. "That ain't natural, right?" he asks of Felor. Zangua himself seems uncertain whether to destroy the flame-touched carcass or thank them for their help.
May 5, 2021 4:29 am
Leth glances at Zangua and shakes his head, with a hand on his bowstring, but he doesn't make any aggressive movements. The Hierophant did seem to send the dragon away, which he is grateful for.

He glances around to see if he can spot Lendras.
May 5, 2021 5:04 pm
Leth finds no sign of Lendras. From what he was able to see, it didn't look like she escaped the meltdown of the Pharate.
May 10, 2021 8:00 pm
Zangua approaches the Hierophant, or what's left of him. He is guarded, with his glaive held defensively. "What are you?" he asks.
May 10, 2021 9:35 pm
"I have given all and everything that I am to the service of this city," the Hierophant replies, turning his skull slightly toward Zangua. "And Aitas has given back what is needed."
May 10, 2021 9:53 pm
"Gorham is dead," Zangua announces to the Hierophant. "The dragon is gone, though I'm not sure how you did that.

"What happens now?"
May 11, 2021 8:30 pm
Last call before we move forward, everybody. Felor, any thoughts or observations?
May 15, 2021 6:28 pm
"I will see to the affairs of the city, and of the land," the Hierophant replies.

Zangua glances back at Felor. The mountain man seems lost in prayer.

The moments and hours that follow pass strangely. Your last sight of the Hierophant is of him leading a procession of sorts to the Broken Tower, accompanied by many of the witnesses and participants of the battle on the Isle. For whatever reason, each of you feels adverse to joining in.

The next morning you all awaken at an inn in the Commercial District with little recollection of how or when you got there. Already, however, there is news. Word has quickly spread that the Cron family was found by a gang of rustics outside the city walls, in full disguise, the Innocent among them. The rustics had seen the conflagrations and the descent of the dragon, and when they realized the House of Cron was attempting to abandon the city and break their sacred oaths, they tore them apart, sparing no mercy for the Innocent nor any other.

By noontime talk abounds that two tall pillars have been erected in the Trigon: one bearing the head of the wizard Gavrel Gorham, the other bearing the head of the last Innocent of Hazard.

On the south side of the city there is wreckage to clean, damage to mend, wounds to heal and bodies to bury. The city gates and waterways are sealed; no-one is allowed to enter or leave. By sunset, the word on the street is that the patriarchs of the Houses of Gahmez and Ibetbal, among others, have arrived at the Temple of Aitas to offer sacrifice and acknowledge Frater Equamo Cola, the former Hierophant of Hazard, as city's one and true King.

For the Hazardites, there is little to be said of Gavrel Gorham and the Six-Pronged Crown: just another mad wizard who brought deviltry and ruin upon innocents for his own glory. On the other hand, fulsome praise is given to the Hierophant who turned back the devils with the force of his faith and intimidated a mighty dragon into retreating.

A story also takes quick hold regarding the sword-maiden Lendras, companion to the Hierophant, who destroyed the Black Egg brought by the devils from beyond the stars to devour all the souls in Hazard, heroically giving her life in the effort and thus fulfilling the last prophecy of Mirza Horgul and justifying the city's transition back to kingship.

That night, as a pair of laborers set to work putting to rights the destruction of the Old Temple District, one shared with the other the rumor that a remnant of the band of mercenaries known as the Companions of Edvers Kells had been present for the battle on the Isle. As he told his workmate of the doughty warrior who had taken to the air with an incredible flying leap to strike off the wizard's head, he picked up another shard of iron and set it in his wheelbarrow. It was an unusual piece, curved and knotted. He was curious where it had come from -- the Shrine of Culsu nearby, or what was left of it, had no significant ironworks that he could recall.

"It wasn't the leaping axeman, it was the archer. All who were there saw it. Shot him right out of the sky."

"It was not, I have it direct from one who was there. Now she said it was the northman's goddess who aided him, carried him aloft so he could strike the mortal blow. Of course that's fanciful, but the leaping part is true. Many saw it."

"Some say he flew like a bird, same as the wizard," the other workman scoffs. He watches the other pick up another chunk of iron. "That's a strange metal," he observes. "Looks like iron, but -- something different about it."

"Temples get offerings of strange metal all the time. It's scrap now."

"You think it'll melt proper?"

"It's just iron," says the other, tossing it into the wheelbarrow. "It'll melt."

THE END.

This concludes The Secret History of Bload. If you would like to share any questions, observations, or updates on what your character would want to do with the rest of their lives, please join me in the Postgame thread. Thank you all so much for participating in this campaign.

Thread locked