Chapter Eight: The Virid Coronation

load previous
Oct 22, 2020 4:46 pm
The blue light in the sanctum seems to waver as Zangua gets closer to the entrance. Inside he can see the dimly illuminated outlines of another statue on a pedestal, this one intact -- an enormous seated figure, perhaps.

Some of the carvings look like recognizable things to Leth: a house, a pair of crossed lances, a crablike creature, a king. But the style of these carvings is like nothing he has seen before, and he cannot be sure of his interpretations.
Oct 22, 2020 7:52 pm
Indicating the edges of the smashed stonework, Felor mimes to Leth that the statue has been destroyed fairly recently, before turning to follow Zangua towards the inner sanctum.
Oct 22, 2020 8:16 pm
You guys can talk. This water-breathing potion you're all on is pretty deluxe.
Oct 22, 2020 11:54 pm
I don't want to make noise(? if talking underwater makes noise?) in case there's someone/thing nearby.
Oct 24, 2020 3:01 am
Domarc squints at the carvings, trying to ascertain if any of them might be a six pointed crown.
Oct 25, 2020 5:07 pm
Leth nods at Felor's gestures and follows close behind him, staying in the light. As they go, he repeatedly looks all around them, wary of any underwater beasts that might lurk in the shadows and try to sneak up on them.
Oct 25, 2020 5:17 pm
Zangua continues forward, approaching the intact statue. He looks around for other exits from the chamber.
Oct 27, 2020 11:10 pm
Domarc sees no six-pronged crowns.

Entering the sanctum, Zangua can see that the dome of the temple holds a large pocket of air, and that the light coming from above is wavering because of the motion of the water's surface above them. The statue, a primitive colossus of Nethuns enthroned, sits with his head and shoulders above the surface. Waist-high steps lead up to the dais where the statue rests, but the only creatures Leth sees are a pair of small translucent fish that dart past his face. The water is noticeably colder inside the sanctum.

The light itself seems to be coming from a large triangular panel in the ceiling of the dome that glows a bright pale blue.
Nov 5, 2020 5:54 am
Instinctively, Leth swims up towards the pocket of air to get his head out of the water, even if only for a moment, and to see what's up there.
Nov 5, 2020 6:02 am
Zangua follows, about 10 feet away from Leth.
Nov 5, 2020 5:58 pm
Leth surfaces. The massive head of Nethuns looms above him, its face worn smooth by centuries of submersion. A small amount of what looks like ice and snow has accumulated on the statue's crown and shoulders. Leth looks up.

Behind the statue's left shoulder, a wedge seems to have been cut out of the ceiling of the dome, coming to a point at its apex. The light coming through this apex is bright and cold. The water sizzles and cracks as it laps against the bottom edge of this inexplicable window.

An icy breeze brushes Leth's cheeks. As his eyes adjust to the brightness, he sees a landscape through the window, broad steep slopes of glacial ice, opalescent with faint pink and blue-green hues.
Nov 6, 2020 6:07 pm
Zangua swims for the air pocket. "That seems very familiar," he says when witnessing the window.

He swims for the opening to inspect the landscape.
Last edited November 6, 2020 6:08 pm
Nov 6, 2020 7:23 pm
Zangua recognizes immediately this place he has dreamed of so many times: it is the glacier of Caltlikrath in the Eight Circle of Hell.

His first impulse is to hurl himself through the portal and surrender to the cold, but he resists it.
Nov 16, 2020 6:39 pm
Somebody make a Perception check!
Nov 16, 2020 6:51 pm
"Is this where we're supposed to go?" Zangua asks. "Where else, if not this?"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Nov 17, 2020 5:53 pm
"I dunno, I kinda thought it'd be buried in the water somewhere. But I'd be thrilled if we don't have to keep swimming around." Leth says with a shudder.
Last edited November 19, 2020 7:22 pm

Rolls

Percepting - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Nov 17, 2020 9:40 pm
Leth sees faint tracks in some of the ice beyond the portal.
Nov 18, 2020 1:34 am
Leth squints as he notices the tracks.

"Hold on... I think I see something over there. Footprints, maybe." He turns to Zangua.

"We should get the others."
Nov 18, 2020 1:36 am
"Gods, I was hoping we wouldn't have to go in there," Zangua says. He descends to signal the others to come up.
Nov 19, 2020 1:50 am
"I'll, uh... I'll wait up here."
OOC:
Were there any other doors/exits in the Sanctum?
load next

Thread locked