Hello

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 13, 2020 7:38 am
Hi, my name is Klara (but if you call me by my username, it's fine :D). My roleplaying background is mostly LARP (I've been playing for 7 or 8 years and helping run our own game for over a year now) and free form play by post rpgs. I don't have that much experience with tabletop rpgs though. I'm currently playing City of Mist and I've played Stars Without Number, Mouse Guard and WoD, but that's more or less it.

The parts I enjoy the most are the roleplaying and storytelling itself. I like to immerse myself into the character and the setting and explore and play around with them. I'm quite bad at game mechanics, so I prefer lighter rules over rules-heavy games, but I'm willing to learn, if you have patience with me. I study animation at a film school in my home-town, so I like to incorporate what I've learnt about storytelling into the games that I play, so I hope that story-wise, I can be quite fun to play with (I hope. I reaaally hope :D ) My favourite genre is probably urban fantasy and horror, but I love traditional medieval fantasy and sci-fi just as much. My goal here is to explore, so I want to try out different genres and see what they have to offer.

So, if you've made it this far into my post, thank you so much and if you could recommend me where to start, or what games would I like, based on what I wrote here, I'd be extremely grateful. I miss roleplaying so much, as we can't really run LARP events right now, so I'd like to explore other rpg genres and see what is out there.

Looking forward to be hearing from you and hopefully to be also playing with you, people and other beasts
Oct 13, 2020 7:51 am
Nari.Jackdaw says:
I'm quite bad at game mechanics, so I prefer lighter rules over rules-heavy games
I can't imagine what that must be like.

Tries to maintain a straight face and fails.

I'm the same way, and I have good news - there are a lot of high- RP, narrative-focused, and rules-light games on this site. I'll let others suggest specific systems, but if you just keep an eye on the Games Tavern forum, you'll see people posting interest checks and recruitment threads for games they're launching.

Welcome to the site!
Oct 13, 2020 9:10 am
Welcome, Klara!

If you want to see how GP functions, check out the New GP Member Guide and maybe look through some public games as well.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You might also want to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

Happy gaming!
Oct 13, 2020 9:41 am
hi Klara
Oct 13, 2020 11:28 am
Hello and welcome!
Oct 13, 2020 1:22 pm
Hi Klara, and welcome. One advantage of PBP is not having to know the rules right that second when you are posting. Most games are quite fine with once a day or even less frequent posting, which means you can look up the rule when you have time to do so.

As to rules light, a lot of that gets played here, from the relatively rules light Cypher System games to a number of truly rules light one-page RPGs.

And because experience varies wildly, gamemasters are generally willing to teach and coach the systems.

Len

Oct 13, 2020 1:48 pm
Welcome aboard Klara! I hope you find some great games.
Oct 13, 2020 1:51 pm
Welcome! I'll second what others have said: You should keep your eyes on the Games Tavern for new game announcements. If someone announces a game in a system you've not heard of, it's perfectly fine to inquire about their openness to newcomers to that system and how rules-crunchy the system tends to be.

I run and play a lot of Star Wars/Genesys (same system), which sort of splits the difference between crunch and narrative. I'm also playing in a Gumshoe game, which is a relatively rules-light mystery-game system. Beyond that, I've seen a fair amount of FATE and Powered by the Apocalypse stuff posted since I came, and those are both rules-light, indy RPGs that might appeal to you. But ask if you see something else suggested!
Oct 13, 2020 2:35 pm
Hello and welcome!
Oct 13, 2020 4:21 pm
Welcome!
Oct 13, 2020 5:29 pm
Welcome aboard
Oct 13, 2020 6:24 pm
Welcome!
Oct 14, 2020 4:09 am
Wait? Games have mechanics? Seriously, I can’t recall most game mechanics so welcome to the group.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.