Chapter 1 - The Light

load previous
Oct 29, 2020 3:45 pm
OOC:
Awesome, so that would have been a Triumph but because of the Cut, the 6 is eliminated. A 5 is a Conflict, meaning you get what you want, in this case, the remaining two boxes are marked and you escape from the ektus. However, there is a negative consequence.

You also rolled a Twist (two 5s), though, which means something good comes out of this as well.

Let's head over to the discord to discuss the consequence and the twist
The ektus throws the grappling hook onto the Fading Dawn and it hooks into the railing lining the deck. As Shaw pushes the engine to its limit, Cait manages to untangle the grappling hook and throw it down into the sea at the last moment before the Dawn jolts forward and races across the canopy of the wildsea at incredible speeds until the ektus ship, in a position that makes them unable to pursue without much maneuvering, is left out of sight behind them.

The Dawn however, seems to not like the stress this maneuver is putting on it...
Oct 30, 2020 9:36 pm
As the Dawn makes its escape, one of the ektus throws something over onto its deck. It lands right next to Cait and Elrenna but nothing happens. When one of the sailors picks it up, they discover that it is a small ball filled with sap that was supposed to burst on impact and glue up part of the deck of the Dawn, making it harder for the crew to escape. Luckily, the ball did not burst as it was not fabricated very well. With a little bit of work, it could be fixed however, so that then it could be used as a weapon later on.
OOC:
One of you can write down the Salvage "Malfunctioning Sap-Bomb" on your sheet.
A few moments after the ship's bite kicks in, there is a loud screeching sound from the chainsaw bite. A bump shakes the whole ship, threatening an engine failure but then the Dawn continues. The whole crew has the feeling that it's slightly slower than before - the bite must have taken some damage in the sudden acceleration - but it's still going fast enough to leave the ektus ship far behind.
OOC:
The Fading Dawn takes one point of damage to its speed. I'll note it on the reference page.
After that encounter, it is smooth sailing for a few more hours until eventually, night descends upon the wildsea. There is still some light available thanks to the full, pale moon in the sky but in this darkness, it will definitely be harder to spot incoming dangers than it was during the day. Looking over the chart they received from the people of Narrowplate, it seems that most of the journey is still ahead of the sailors.
OOC:
And that concludes our first leg of the journey. You have marked the first box on the journey track.
The same procedure as before starts again. You pick a speed (I made another poll on Discord) and one of you, not Shaw since he took the previous watch, makes a Watch roll.
bowlofspinach sent a note to bowlofspinach
Oct 30, 2020 11:03 pm
OOC:
There are other sailors? I thought it was just we three? What is typical practice for running at night? Can we lower ourselves into the upper level of the bridge is exposed and conduct repairs safely? It’ll minimize our profile.
Oct 30, 2020 11:25 pm
OOC:
Yes, it's just you three. When I mention sailors or the crew, I just mean your PCs.
You can easily run through the night if you want. You just need a lookout on station but that's always the case.

For repairs, you would have to drop anchor.
Oct 31, 2020 3:42 pm
OOC:
How fast to the trees close in behind us? I'd think a chainsaw cut wake of devastation through the branches would be incredibly easy to follow.
"It's getting dark," Caitriona remarks. Her eyes sparkle in the moon light as she looks around for the spirits that are always there, "Shaw, do you want us to drop anchor for a bit so you can take a look and see what we broke."
Oct 31, 2020 4:41 pm
OOC:
We got two votes for Drop Anchor so that's what we'll do.
Feel free to roleplay your period of rest as much as you want. We'll also have a montage, meaning each of you can perform one longer task (repair something, recover injuries, craft something, whatever you can think of in that general time frame). The rules for montages are on page 20 for reference but basically, it's like any other action. You declare it and roll for it with a suitable dice pool.

Cut branches grow back within hours. Since you're only traveling across the canopy for now, I'd say that the smaller twigs and the leaves grow back within minutes. It would be difficult to shake someone who's in close pursuit but your maneuver when you escaped bought you a bit of time and you haven't seen a trace of the ektus ship behind you since you started your escape so you are fairly confident they're not pursuing you, at least not close enough to follow your trail.
Oct 31, 2020 7:36 pm
OOC:
How does the surface move? Is it mostly a "flat" surface like the sea (pretend there are no waves) or is it an uneven surface with "static" ridges and valleys like a forest? The real sea, tends to have large rolling waves 10-20’ in height that travel in the direction of the prevailing winds and then you can get a 2-4’ chop on top of that in the direction of the current winds. The chop can over a few days cancel out the rollers and change the direction of the roll. I gues I’m asking if there’s "hollows" in the surface could we hide in one of these so we’re more difficult to detect while working on the jaw?
Oct 31, 2020 7:42 pm
OOC:
There are static "waves" formed by the treetops and then smaller movements from wind and the natural movements and constant growth of the trees. You can find a hidden place that's lower than the average of the treetops so you can't be easily seen from the distance
Oct 31, 2020 9:09 pm
Shaw grimaces as he hears the noise coming from the engines. Yeah, let's go ahead and stop. Better to see how bad it is now, when it's quiet. Shaw says as he hears Fair's suggestion.

Quickly and as carefully as he can, Shaw brings the engines down
Once they are safely stopped, he heads down below to assess the damage.
Nov 1, 2020 12:28 am
Elrenna keeps an eye on the foliage around them for the moment, watching for anything that might be useful to them when they continue their journey, she isn't particularly handy with repairs but is happy to move anything heavy that needs to be for the others. "I'll keep watch in case our pursuers catch up, and keep an eye out for anything useful, you never know when you're gonna find something nice in the canopy..."
Nov 1, 2020 12:38 am
OOC:
Squad, Auto (and Ember), feel free to assemble dice pools for your respective actions and roll them. I will narrate your results for you and something might happen
Nov 1, 2020 2:21 am
Caitriona sits on the deck near Elrenna and starts to work on crafting a bow out if either her highwood plank or the broadwood branch, which ever she thinks would be most sensible. A thin wisp of spirit light drifts past her and she looks towards the horizon as she lays out the design. The two types of wood could make a nice composite bow, and she's got copper rings, maybe even a compound bow isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Resins for laminating bits of wood, there were clamps down in the engine room if she needed them.

The crezzerin burns on her hands and feet didn't bother her as much anymore as they used to, her black hands went to work on the project. This wasn't likely to be a quick overnight kind of job, perhaps a few days.

"Shaw," Cait called out, "if you need a hand give us a shout."
OOC:
I could be helped by my ancestral spirit but I'm not certain how that works or how often I can use it so...

Rolls

Crafting (2 Craft / 1 Sharps) - (3d6)

(233) = 8

Nov 1, 2020 12:59 pm
OOC:
I could do this either as a Sense or a Gather, anybody else got a preference to which one Elrenna gives more focus to?
Nov 1, 2020 4:52 pm
OOC:
Both would work. Sense would be a more general watch and Gather more specifically to look for something useful/valuable. You can go for either
Nov 1, 2020 6:43 pm
OOC:
Yeah, I was asking the others for their input, since either is as good as the other to me.
Nov 1, 2020 6:52 pm
OOC:
I’d look out till your watch is over.
Nov 2, 2020 12:47 am
OOC:
Watch it is!
Elrenna keeps her eyes peeled for trouble, since they only narrowly managed to escape the Ektus, and if they are unlucky their escape may have drawn attention from others, whether people or animals.

Rolls

Iron or Instinct + Sense - (2d6)

(13) = 4

Nov 2, 2020 3:37 pm
Shaw sets out to figure out what was damaged during the escape. Once that's been located, he'll see to repairing the damage.
OOC:
With Repair 3 and Surefire Smith I have 4 dice to roll.
Last edited November 2, 2020 3:39 pm

Rolls

Repairing the ship (Repairs 3, Surefire Smith) - (4d6)

(2322) = 9

Nov 2, 2020 4:04 pm
OOC:
Squad, don't forget your Edges. I'd be very surprised if there was nothing you could utilize for an extra die. Generally, try to scrounge up dice wherever you can ;)
Nov 2, 2020 5:09 pm
OOC:
I forgot all about them. Looking at them it seems like Sharps will fit.

Rolls

Sharps - (1d6)

(4) = 4

load next

Thread locked