Chapter 1 - The Light

load previous
Nov 9, 2020 6:00 pm
Squadfather44 says:
OOC:
What would be some useful tasks that he could perform?I'm drawing a blank...
OOC:
The page on montages has some examples (20 in the playtest document). You can look through those for inspiration. Cooking or Crafting are simple things, or repairing, salvaging or hunting.
If you can't think of anything to do right now, that's also fine and we can just move on, just let me know. You're all pretty much at full health, haven't marked any mires or anything, so a moment of peace wasn't as needed yet as it might be later.
Nov 12, 2020 8:26 am
After a few hours of peaceful sailing, the Fading Dawn leaves the still raging storm behind them.

Consulting their chart, they notice that they're fairly close to the marked destination by now. If they increase speed, they might make it there before sundown. At their current speed, they would probably arrive late into the night, a few hours before sunrise.

They will also at this point have to dive down below the surface of the waves. Traveling through the Tangle will be much less pleasant - increased temperatures, huge insects - but the Fading Dawn is well equipped to keep the outside out while mowing through the thick branches and many twigs.
OOC:
Pick your speed one more time and one of you can make a watch roll. Everyone's been on watch once now so anyone can take it.
If you Forge Ahead, you'll arrive at your destination after this leg of the journey. If you Cut a Path, it will still take two watch shifts to get there.

Rolls

Hidden Watch Roll - (1D6)

Nov 13, 2020 4:58 pm
OOC:
Watch roll...

Rolls

Watch / Move - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Nov 14, 2020 5:43 pm
The Fading Dawn slowly sinks under the surface of the waves and into the Tangle. Progress is slower here as there is more in the way that needs to be cut. It's impossible for the sailors to be on deck now. The whipping branches and huge insects mean that attempting to stand on deck would be almost certain death.
The temperature inside the ship increases, as does the temperature outside. The Tangle is uncomfortably hot and humid.

After a few hours, the Dawn breaks through the Tangle and finds itself right next to one of the most awe-inspiring sights its sailors have ever seen.
It's rare but not unheard of to come across a rift, a hole in the wildsea created when a tree dies and falls. They're usually fairly small and close as quickly as they appear. Not so this one. A tallshank fell and on its way, tore a huge scar into the sea that still hasn't healed, the same one that Elrenna saw before from the distance. From up close, it is much, much more terrifying. The sailors can look downwards even beyond the thick Tangle and the thinner Sink underneath. They see the Drown, the horrifying layer where almost no branches exist, only the massive trunks of the ironroot trees that make up the wildsea. Fortunately, the light does not reach down deep enough for them to get a glimpse of the Darkness-Under-Eaves, the place of terrible legends far below the wildsea where, allegedly, the trees sprout from firm ground.
OOC:
All of you, mark one point of Mire from this sight. Describe your reaction to seeing this abyss and you will receive a Whisper each, relating to your reaction.
Nov 15, 2020 2:08 pm
Shaw involuntarily shudders as he looks at the rift. Just seeing the destruction humbles him. It's almost as if he can hears the whispers of a scream in his mind.
OOC:
we just mark off a mark on an existing one right?
Nov 15, 2020 4:45 pm
Caitriona stares into the void in the sea, far below faint ethereal shapes rise up out of the darkness as elemental forces work to fill the rift back in. Geometry, the ghostly forms of hard angles, smooth lines, alien and unfamiliar slowly being consumed once again by the sea. There had been people down there, a thousand thousand spirits tormented and trapped, the rift had freed some from the darkness perhaps created the storm but there were so many more being consumed.

A faint voice whispers into her ear, When you gaze into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Caitriona tears her eyes away from the darkness, from the shapes and the spirits that exist down there but not before seeing the eyes looking back at her. She shudders and looks away.
Nov 16, 2020 10:10 pm
OOC:
Yes, you mark one box on one of your existing Mire tracks.
[ +- ] Mire Rules (page 31)
Shaw gains the Whisper "Scream of the Silenced" and Cait gains the Whisper "Eyes of the Abyss" - Write those down under your Resources.
Still waiting for Elrenna's reaction post, then we can move forward. There is only one box left to mark before you reach your destination so there would be no reason to Forge Ahead. One of you (not Cait) will still have to make a Watch roll for this last leg of the journey to Earthhaven.
Nov 17, 2020 7:26 pm
Seeing the various stratum of the Sea unnerves Elrenna in a way that nothing she has seen before has managed. She shudders and sets her jaw, fighting the urge to let her lips draw back in a snarl. Her gaze lowers down, all the way to the Drown, and then back up again, lingering on the Sink and the Tangle... She'd never heard, never felt the call this hard before, what called she did not know but nonetheless it called, beckoning from the leafy darkness, practically begging her to give in and allow nature to reclaim her the way it had reclaimed everything Pre-V, to let the Crezzerin tear into her body and see if she is fit to survive under its mutative devouring, to become whatever Tangle-beast or Sink-monstrosity she was actually meant to be born as. It is only when she painfully wrenches her eyes away that Elrenna realizes she is growling, just barely audible but full of fear and rage, a sound not properly belonging to her specie at all, and yet there it is emenating from her nonetheless. "Guh... I always hate moments like this." She violently shakes her head, getting her bearings back and trying to shake off the lingering psychological impetus to no avail.
Nov 17, 2020 8:27 pm
OOC:
Elrenna gains the Whisper "The Hidden Beast".
I really enjoyed those descriptions from all of you! Good work

I'll also still need a Watch roll from either Elrenna or Shaw

Rolls

Hidden Watch Roll - (1D6)

Nov 17, 2020 8:44 pm
OOC:
I'll roll for it.

Rolls

Watch roll - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Nov 18, 2020 6:40 pm
Finally tearing their eyes off the breach in the wildsea, the sailors decide to continue their journey. According to their chart, the colony they're headed towards is located on the other side of the breach. While it seems impossible to cross the scar in the sea that it makes up, they are fortunately very close to one end of it and circling around it won't be much of an inconvenience.

After only half an hour of sailing, the sailors find another fascinating sight: The crown of the fallen tallshank, wide enough to reach the canopy of the wildsea, even as the shank is lying on the floor, possibly kilometers below them. The surrounding waves have woven themselves into the tallshank's crown, integrating it - at least the part of it that reaches beyond the Drown into the Sink and Tangle - inseparably into the sea. The Fading Dawn begins its travel through this crown to cross to the other side of the Breach when Shaw calls out for the ship to be stopped. Once the engines have come to a halt, the others see what he spotted as well.

Thick, pale ropes have been strung between trees and branches, not quite a net, more like many tripwires all over the area. They are covered in insects and leaves that seem stuck to them and make them almost invisible in the extra thick Tangle here. At higher speeds, the Fading Dawn would have sawed its way through them before any of them would have had a chance to notice them. Even at this speed, looking back, the sailors notice they have already unknowingly passed a few of the ropes, leaving them surrounded by them on all sides, not densely enough to make it impossible to avoid them - if that is what the sailors want to do - but enough to make that a difficult challenge. Of course, they could also just cut right through them. Who knows what - if any - purpose they serve. Maybe sailing right through wouldn't be a problem after all...
Nov 18, 2020 6:51 pm
I don't like the looks of those vines. See how the leaves and insects...seem stuck to them. Shaw points out some of the closer vines, to prove his point. We may be able to saw our way through, but I'm not fond of finding out how bad they'll gum up the blades and other moving parts.
Nov 18, 2020 7:59 pm
"Up to you, I'm fine with going through but it likely means we'll have to spend some time cleaning out what's left of them later, but we could also try to avoid them. Just be careful not to let anything important get caught on those sticky vines." She frowns more deeply than usual, sticky, grasping vines aren't exactly something that one can fight directly, and so she is stuck with giving advice and hoping for the best.
Nov 18, 2020 8:21 pm
Shaw stands there listening to El. How far away are we from the village? Worse case..we can always clean up, once we get there.
Nov 18, 2020 8:24 pm
You're pretty close. Unless they really mess up your bite to the point where you can't keep moving, you'll be there in less than two hours.
Nov 18, 2020 8:43 pm
OOC:
Given that we're almost there, I say we push through it. We'llbe at the village for a while and can clean up there.
Nov 19, 2020 12:06 am
"What's this we stuff?" Cait says with a grin, "you're the Rattlehand."

"Why don't we try to bite through the edges of it, mitigate how much of that crap we get into the jaw, I mean as much as I'd love to climb that shank I'd really rather not get trapped by sticky vines this close to our destination."
Nov 19, 2020 9:23 am
OOC:
If you decide to cut through the ropes, one of you please make a Saws rating roll.

For a ship rating roll, you just roll dice equal to the appropriate ship rating, no edges or aspects are added to it. So for Saws, that would be a straight 4D6
Nov 19, 2020 1:54 pm
OOC:
I got it covered.

Rolls

Saws roll - (4d6)

(2661) = 15

load next

Thread locked