IC: Chapter II - Return to Escaroth

Oct 31, 2020 9:05 pm
Caranthiel, Astrid, Finrod, Winfred and Vidar rumble back into Esgaroth on their wagon. There's no festival on, this time, and as such, feels a little anticlimactic, considering the adventure that was concluding. More than one player-hero will have a sneaking "where is our greeting?". Nevertheless, when you get the Tollhouse, mentioning the name of Leiknir gives a suspiciously* smooth entry under the Gatehouse, without even a token searching of your wagon!

As you lumber into the market square, a wet teen climbs out of the water between it and the next house and splashes up to you. They are sufficiently grubby that their gender is indeterminate.

"You'll be the group Master Onar told me to find. I'm Edda. Did you have a good trip? Was there treasure? Can I see the traeasure? Was there monsters? I've never seen a monster, although I've been told about lots by the bigger kids. Do they bleed black? I hear they don't bleed like us."

The stream of questions only briefly stops to direct you where to put the wagon, and where you're staying: The Dragon's Arms. It's a large pub with some stylised dragon wings painted onto its wooden facade. The common room is huge, and well filled with Men and Dwarfs. Few Elfs though. The few snatches of words you hear are all about trade, roads, weather, etc. You're assigned rooms, on the Leiknir account says Inga, who hands you your room and meal tokens. She gives you a polite smile but will move onto the next arrival the moment you stop talking to her.

Edda will help unpack in the hopes of a penny. "Anyways Master Onar says you should come to him tomorrow, the first hour after sunrise. Hey HEY did you bring a dead body!? Why did you bring a dead body back? You rescued someone! Wow. Do you need me to find a healer? I know a healer". Edda wants this penny.

The near-corpse of a man is still breathing steadily, but not waking. That's all he's done on the return journey.
OOC:

Starting at pace as I want to introduce em's character in the next scene. For the things I've starred, consider these some points to consider - how suspicious is your character at the smooth entrance to Laketown? Are they pleased to be back? How did they find the return trip?

Also yes my Lord of the Rings is a bit more Guy Ritchie than Peter Jackson.

Finally, you're not getting a Fellowship phase immediately, but you will be getting one soon. What I will do is start a separate thread on Fellowship activities in a week or so and we'll do it in parallel, as I figure it'll take a bit of time to explain for those who haven't done one before.
Nov 4, 2020 8:24 pm
OOC:
Can I just check before posting anything in character - is Onar the same person as Leiknir?
Sorry if that's a stupid question, just want to get it straight before I commit to starting haha.
Nov 4, 2020 11:19 pm
OOC:
yep full name Onar Leiknir sorry :)
Nov 5, 2020 10:38 pm
Out of all the banter Edda spews Winfred only understood the bit for the healer. "Yes child If you could bring the healer here that woudl be most helpful."
Nov 5, 2020 11:04 pm
A healer comes about an hour later. He is introduced as Girthun, and looks remarkably miserable for a healer, however this could be his extreme suspicion about this comatose man you have presented to him. "What happened to this...man to end up like this? He's barely alive! But I don't see any weapon damage to him.
Who did you say he was again?
". Girthun sends Edda off to ask Inga for more wood for the fire.
Nov 5, 2020 11:23 pm
OOC:
I have no clue my self. so imma have to rely on someone else to inform the dood.
Nov 6, 2020 12:09 am
CaveJohnson says:
OOC:
I have no clue my self. so imma have to rely on someone else to inform the dood.
OOC:
none of you know his name, he's never spoken
Nov 6, 2020 12:19 am
OOC:
i Think i was in the middle of covid jobbing when this happend, i started right before we left and came back on the way back when yall were fighting the shadow beast
so this dood is a complete mystery :D
Nov 6, 2020 8:44 pm
OOC:
Well consider this some easy roleplay bonus as basically none of you know who he is. But what are you going to tell the nosey doctor? Make something up, or the truth? They'll need different skills and if you get too wild there may be Shadow Points...
Nov 10, 2020 3:46 pm
OOC:
OK, gene's dropped out. Sad times.

Does anyone want to talk to this doctor at all? em can't even start until the next scene,which I'll just ffwd to otherwise.
Nov 10, 2020 7:50 pm
OOC:
i mean i can lie out of my pocket but i'll be making stuff up without context
Nov 10, 2020 8:49 pm
OOC:
I could tell you guys what your characters know about him, if you've forgotten as players?

He's dressed like a "frontier" North-man. You found him wasting away in the lair of an abominable servant-creature of the Shadow. Only apparent wounds were some poorly healing/repeatedly re-opened bite wounds.

Whether you tell him the truth or not, or how much of it, or whatever, is of course up to you guys.
Nov 10, 2020 9:04 pm
OOC:
more then i had lets roll with it :?: some bite wounds huh... ;.;
"We're not sure what happend to him. We wern't able to awake him. We found him nigh alive in a cavern where we took shelter one night." Winfred offers up.

"Is there anything you can do to help him?"
Nov 10, 2020 9:08 pm
OOC:
Deception roll then, please!
"You just found him? Like this?". Girthun looks round at Winfred.
Nov 10, 2020 10:49 pm
OOC:
But I are tell truth :D
"Yes he was in the back of the cave."
OOC:
Can i use the Pathetic and Bedraggled
[ +- ] Pathetic and Bedraggled
Last edited November 11, 2020 12:23 am

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Nov 11, 2020 2:20 pm
Arriving home to Esgaroth, Astrid is characteristically quiet but her thoughts on dark subjects. Looking around at the people of Laketown, she can't help but imagine the evils that such a beast could visit on them. She had seen Orcs first hand at the Battle of Five Armies and hunted many beasts of the wild but this was different in how evil and potent it seemed.
She said nothing and, in fact, took little in on their way to the Inn as she brooded on such dark thoughts and concerns.
Following in the wake of the rest of the party, somewhat passively, it was only the entry of the healer that starts her from her fretting.

Almost at the same time as Winfred answers the healers question, Astrid replies bluntly 'He has been fed on by some fell bat creature of the Shadow. His needs are beyond our care.' her eyes narrowing and darting to Winfred as she hears the obvious omissions from her answer.
OOC:
Apologies guys for the very tardy response to this. I'm in now!
Rough deception roll Cave! 😂
Last edited November 11, 2020 2:21 pm
Nov 11, 2020 4:57 pm
OOC:
Winfred, yeah that applies here I think and will help your terrible roll, but you still aren't amazingly convincing.
Girthun physically recoils, rearing away from his patient (and you lot).

"By the grace of- ... Well, I can see why you don't want to talk about it. And in fact, maybe I shouldn't know. Well, I suppose I wasn't sure how to heal him before, so maybe this won't change much. He appears physically exhausted, maybe he has been ....c-consumed. I'll come back and check on him, meanwhile, keep him warm, still, and quiet. Go and sit in the common room or something."

He gives instructions to Edda for small amounts of broth to be provided by Inga several times a day. He leaves, looking worried.
OOC:
Right, anyone drop in here what they want to do before seeing your taskmaster tomorrow, however in order to bring em in i'll write a new post in a few hours starting the next scene. It'd be nice to have some flavour of an evening off, but it's not essential.
Nov 11, 2020 9:25 pm
OOC:
lols i don't need to be :) i just a simple girl who keeps getting caught on adventures :D
Winfred got nothing but restocking on medical supplies. especially since our other healer decided to retreat from the caravan.
Nov 11, 2020 11:01 pm
In the common room, Vidar looks uneasy. On the bright side, he doesn't sing, either. Eventually he speaks:

"I don't think I was supposed to come back to Laketown. I'm not sure my Purpose lies here. I won't see Master Leiknir tomorrow, I'll stay and keep an eye on our patient seeing as that Healer seemed pretty worried about him. Perhaps some devotion will inspire me into the right course of action"
The next day, Edda finds you in the common room again having breakfast, and offers to take you to Onar Leiknir's office. She asks about the patient (unchanged), the food, how the weather compares between here and anywhere else, and generally fills in any gaps in the conversation. She takes you past the Guild-Hall, as busy as the Market pool and square, but this time with people in much fancier dress.

It doesn't take much Insight to realise that something is up. People are gathered in small groups, and looking around at everyone else. And it gets worse as you go along. Eventually Edda picks up on it. "Uh, w-what's going on?" she stammers. "W-why's it quiet here? Why's the guard here?". She slows in her steps that lead toward a cluster of guards fending off a small crowd of curious laketowners. They assure all that there is nothing to see.

As the tension builds she suddenly runs ahead of you, wriggling past the guards and into the door behind them. She screams.

"Master Onar is dead!"
OOC:
em your character can join now
Nov 12, 2020 12:58 am
OOC:
Gasp!! DUN DUN Duuunnnn!!!!
OOC:
Dang... there goes our second half of the payment :(
Last edited November 12, 2020 12:58 am
load next

Thread locked