IC: Chapter II - Return to Escaroth

load previous
Nov 25, 2020 11:13 pm
The body is cold (so not the end of the night), and has many defensive wounds on the arms. Onar was fending off an attacker. The fatal wound isn't too deep, looks to have been a lucky thrust rather than a death-strike, with a short blade or the tip of a weapon. If this was an assassination it was pretty clumsy.
OOC:
You don't have to know the the inn name OOC, just "i give the inn name" is fine. It's the Dragon's Arms, see the first post.
Nov 30, 2020 2:00 pm
OOC:
To be clear, I am waiting for player input.
Nov 30, 2020 4:40 pm
Rae isn't much of an investigator, but she had her keen elven senses at least... she paces about the room, searching for any sign of the attacker that might have been left behind. Boot print? Sediment? Torn cloth? Simple things that could inform the situation.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Nov 30, 2020 7:24 pm
No sediment, although you're not too surprised by that, being on a lake. If anything the floor is..damp. On the first floor? The stairs are dry. The humans in the party won't have noticed, but you heard the rain on the roof last night. What seems weirdly subtle to others is reasonably obvious to your eyes - the window ledge is still wet, but the window is closed.
OOC:
sherlock clue-searching montage optional here
Nov 30, 2020 11:15 pm
OOC:
dat holiday time sorry :(
Winfred would write down the information needed to satisfy the constable.

Winfred stands from the body. "It looks like the attack was planned. Poorly. But all it takes is a lucky thrust to down your target." She wipes Leiknir blood on the fringes of her garments.
"Perhpas Lord Leiknir was a better fighter then he looked."
Dec 1, 2020 3:23 pm
Gesturing to the wetness on the floor, " I would say it seems like our murderer was just supposed to be a burglar ... Perhaps came in and-or left through the roofs and window, making sure to cover their entry or exit, as a skilled burglar might. But wasn't a particularly skilled combatant..."
OOC:
Investigative montage away! I say. I could roll investigate, but am unskilled in it. Rae would gladly give a Help action anyone who's better at it?
Dec 1, 2020 8:29 pm
OOC:
i'm not against a sherlock Montage, I've got survival if that helps :D but not investigate.
"My how bizarr, why would someone." Winfred pauses as if a idea hit her like a wet noodle. " Was he hiding something?"
Dec 1, 2020 10:41 pm
OOC:
em, what do you want to Investigate? Rae and Winfred have summarised what you've found so far.
Dec 1, 2020 11:05 pm
OOC:
em is {I}Rae what happend to Astrid and Finrod?
Dec 1, 2020 11:15 pm
CaveJohnson says:
OOC:
em is {I}Rae what happend to Astrid and Finrod?
OOC:
I'm hoping they're going to join in but it has been 3 weeks now
Dec 2, 2020 3:11 am
OOC:
Aside from drudging through the rest of the house, I guess about the only thing left to look for that I can think of is, like, if anything is missing? Like, if a bunch of his books are missing, or his hand-written journals, that might tip us off that they were looking for books or journals? Or if money is missing, that could muddle things?

And I guess that's probably more a matter of just asking Harald?
Dec 2, 2020 10:35 pm
Harald shows you a list:

* petty cash (10gp worth in silver)
* a liquor bottle
* 7-8 (harald isn't sure) books, about the same number that's left behind

Harald says "There are more valuable things that they didn't take, I assumed they just took the small old books because they're valuable, but on reflection I don't think those were the most valuable books here. And anyway, there's not exactly a thriving black market here of books from the Second Age. Who's going to buy it?". He looks unsurprisingly downcast and a bit bewildered.
Dec 4, 2020 4:07 pm
Rae nods at Harald's accounting.

"The Second Age has forgotten more than the Third will likely ever know, master steward... Do not underestimate the value of such knowledge.", she says, before turning to the Company, "Well, we can report our findings to the Guard? I don't know where that leaves us though... I think we need to have a conversation?"
Dec 4, 2020 11:37 pm
Winfred shrugs in agreence. "I'm not sure either."
Dec 5, 2020 8:45 pm
OOC:
So some example things you can do:

* talk to the guard
* see if anyone saw who went in the window
* look for someone selling books
* surprise me :)

Thread locked