Chapter 1 - Scene 1 - Office Escape

load previous
Nov 19, 2020 12:19 am
OOC:
I'm thinking Serenity often had arguments with Eugenia regarding the security of this place.
"Fuck." Serenity shuts off the intercom and draws her gun.

Looking worried, she faces the others. "Looks like it wasn't us after all that tripped the alarm. Samuels sounded... I don't want to say terrified, but... yeah. I think I stopped them from sending people over here, and it sounded like they had problems of their own. I'm starting to think staying here and locking the doors isn't such a bad idea after all. I really want to go down to security to see what is going on, though."
Nov 19, 2020 12:40 am
Trying to time his voice between the alarm noises, "So we're changing the plan? Changing the plan. Gotcha." Gabe takes one last peek outside the door, then shuts it and heads inside the room. Still nervous, he moves towards a blind corner in the office with the intention of hiding if security still comes in. A puzzled look crosses his face when he sees Serenity draw her gun. 'This is escalating fast!'
Nov 19, 2020 12:45 am
'If you go, then so does our competent strong person.' Con sits back down in the chair and puts her feet up on the table. 'We lock the door, say we called these guys in as they were leaving to make sure there were also safe, and the nerds can crack the files while we wait. I mean they'd have called the police right? They can handle whatever it is better.
Nov 20, 2020 3:27 am
"Uh, it's a plan, I guess," Olivier says looking at the others. "Whatever, you're security, you told us to do this. No problem. What could gro wrong..." He makes his way over to the desk, and begins looking around for any sign of a security camera. "There's no way we're not being watched, right?" he asks the others.
Nov 21, 2020 8:03 pm
Victor crawls out from under the table, "Well then, now that we are not in a rush to leave the room, might as well use this time to our advantage." He powers the computer back up and tries the password he set up for Eugenia last week, it was worth a shot, he was not sure that she changed it as he advised. "Remain calm and do not panic, focus on a task at hand, after all, we are here to find out what is going on."
Nov 22, 2020 5:25 am
Seeing Constance at ease and Olivier making busy-work helps relax Gabe, who generally avoids drawing attention at work. 'Man, I don't know what they've roped me into, but if anyone can keep me out of the shit, it's Con and Serenity.' "You Baxter girls are going to be the death of me. Any idea of what we are looking for?" With this, Gabe begins rifling through books and paperwork, not entirely sure what it is he should find. Feeling as though he does not want to be a hindrance to the group, he makes the extra effort to take anything of interest aside and gathers as much material as he can.
OOC:
Gabe spends one Willpower to increase his dice pool by 3.
Last edited November 22, 2020 5:35 pm

Rolls

Investigate (Wits+Investigation) - (3d10)

(672) = 15

Nov 22, 2020 4:58 pm
OOC:
alright, how about a little team work here? I need you to identify a main person who will we give me a wits + investigation roll. Anyone who wants to assist said person tell me what you want to do to assist (does not have to be investigation) i will have you roll that. Any success will be added to the main rollers dice pool. A critical failure at this point will give the main roller a dice penalty.
Nov 22, 2020 5:00 pm
Note to charles.c.cowley
when you have no dice remaining after penalties you can still roll a chance die. A result of 10 gives you a base success; a result of 1 is a critical fail. Anything else is a failure.
Nov 22, 2020 5:53 pm
OOC:
Okay, we should compare stats then. Serenity has Wits+Investigation 6. She also has the Merit Trained Investigator that technically only triggers on Perception (Wits+Composure) rolls that gives her 9 agains.
Nov 22, 2020 7:09 pm
OOC:
@charles.c.cowley: you have the option to downgrade your failure to a critical fail in exchange for a beat.
Nov 22, 2020 7:20 pm
OOC:
@WarDomo: Oh, absolutely! Perhaps this will help to motivate Gabe to learn some investigative techniques.
Last edited November 22, 2020 7:21 pm
Nov 22, 2020 10:00 pm
charles.c.cowley says:
OOC:
How were you still rolling only three dice after adding three dice to you pool?
Nov 22, 2020 10:15 pm
"I'm not aware we had a plan to change..." Serenity quips sarcastically to Charles.

She agrees with her sister's and Victor's suggestions, thinking it's probably their best shot at the moment, although she'd really would like to make a quick sweep of at least the floor they're on.
"The police either get called in automatically, or not at all, depending on the situation. Considering Samuels was giving me lip about clearance, it's probably the latter." she answers Conny's question.

"Any idea of what we are looking for?"

"Not a clue. Honestly, I doubt there's still anything to find here, if theer ever was. I wanted to go look for clues in the mansion."
Nov 22, 2020 10:16 pm
Carabas says:
charles.c.cowley says:
OOC:
How were you still rolling only three dice after adding three dice to you pool?
OOC:
Without any points in investigation, I was rolling untrained. 3 (Wits) - 3 (Untrained) + 3 (Willpower).
Last edited November 23, 2020 3:40 pm
Nov 23, 2020 3:08 pm
'Whoa hey I'm not security, only she's boring.' Con waves her hand towards her sister.
OOC:
Con has wits + investigation 4. I could try and wrangle Empathy as her understanding where I grandmother likes to order/keep stuff?
Nov 24, 2020 3:45 am
OOC:
Wits 2 and Investigation 1 for Olivier. He could certainly assist someone.
"At the very least, we should have an idea of what she's been up to, right?" Olivier asks the others. "Wealthy, connected people don't just vanish, and if they do it probably isn't for good reasons. Maybe there isn't a "clue" per see as why she disappeared, but maybe we could find out what she was up to? I don't know, it's an idea."
Nov 24, 2020 10:15 am
OOC:
I feel the party, or at least her actual familiy, should have a bit more information than we have been given about this. Like when did she disappear, and from where? Signs of break-in or violence? I assume somebody must have investigated this before we gave it go.
Nov 24, 2020 4:25 pm
Carabas says:
OOC:
I feel the party, or at least her actual familiy, should have a bit more information than we have been given about this. Like when did she disappear, and from where? Signs of break-in or violence? I assume somebody must have investigated this before we gave it go.
OOC:
I think that could be answered in-character with a successful roll. Tie it into the narrative. I propose we roll with it, and learn as we go!

So it sounds like Serenity is leading the Investigation, Olivier and Gabe are trying to assist with Investigation (with Gabe critically failing), Constance is trying to assist with Empathy (waiting on storyteller approval), and Victor doing something possibly computer related (based on his last post)?

Also, can we move this over to the OOC Chat thread? I'll post over there as well.
Dec 1, 2020 7:18 am
OOC:
The short answer is that the family probably could have gotten more information. The reality is that you don't. You are all kind of in the dark and no one seems to be talking. @charles.c.cowley is right. This is a mystery game and you will learn more as you go. For now, it is just important for you to take action and move forward. If I'm doing my job right, you will not have all the information you need. You will need to make educated guesses and the occasional leap of faith. I can guarantee that doing nothing will not move the story forward and won't be very fun for the group.

For the purpose of this scene, worry less about why you are in this room. You are in it. At some point in the past, your character made the choice to enter this room for a reason that made sense to him/her at the time. This cannot be undone. React and move. We'll explore later what brought you to that room if it's relevant to the story.

I am very much aware that I haven't given you much to go on yet. This is entirely on purpose. I'm expecting you to be creative and dig something up. If it makes you feel any better, there is no predefined solution here. I encourage you to do what you think makes sense and you think will move the plot forward and I will reward that with results that move the plot forward.
Dec 1, 2020 7:27 am
OOC:
As of right now, it appears that Serenity is the top contender for being the main actor and rolling Wits + Investigation.

Here's my understanding of what the others are doing to assist (Feel free to correct me)
Constance: Composure + Empathy to try to connect what she knows about her grandmother to assist with the roll.
Victor: Intelligence + Computer; searching on Eugenia's computer
Olivier: Not sure what action you are planning to take here.
Gabe: Crit Fail (Wits + Investigation)

Constance & Victor go ahead and roll
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.