Games you like but no one else plays?

load previous
Nov 30, 2021 1:02 pm
I'm partial to the Crafty Games line of RPGs - Spycraft (particularly version 2.0) and most recently FantasyCraft. They both are incredible systems but definitely seem to be a niche.

What I like in particular is that you can pretty much make the 'exact' character you want and no character will be the same even within the same class(es) selected.

Seuss
Dec 13, 2021 2:43 am
Belus312 says:
Amber Diceless and REMINES for sure. Amber is that game where 99% of players won't touch it and REMINES is a game no one has heard of that is based on old 80's video games to some degree.
Quite a few Amber communities out there if you know where to look. I've been in a play by email game of Amber that's been going on for years now and the Ambercons have all gone virtual during COVID so I've gotten to attend them for the first time in a long time.

For me, it is the Burning Wheel family of games. The fact that games of them sporadically show up here is what drew me here originally.
Dec 13, 2021 5:12 am
Belus312 says:

For me, it is the Burning Wheel family of games. The fact that games of them sporadically show up here is what drew me here originally.
Always great to see other BW fans!
Belus312 says:
Amber Diceless and REMINES for sure. Amber is that game where 99% of players won't touch it and REMINES is a game no one has heard of that is based on old 80's video games to some degree.
I know personally the name itself puts me off. The fact that it seems to be diceless makes me completely uninterested. Also never heard of REMINES so I think your assessment of that is accurate lol.
Last edited December 13, 2021 5:12 am
Dec 13, 2021 5:16 am
I'd still be interested in trying out a dice less/ no-randomizer game, but Amber lost me with its setting, I think.
I would like to try out Chuubo's at some point
Dec 13, 2021 5:40 am
@bowlofspinach, are you familiar with Avery Alder's Dream Askew / Dream Apart, and the follow-on Belonging Outside Belonging games? You might dig.
Dec 13, 2021 6:01 am
I have not. But I do think a shovel would be more useful for digging than even the dreamiest RPG book. (Will check them out, though)
Dec 13, 2021 6:08 am
Pardon my ancient slang, whipper-snapper. =]
Dec 13, 2021 5:01 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I'd still be interested in trying out a dice less/ no-randomizer game, but Amber lost me with its setting, I think.
I would like to try out Chuubo's at some point
I find that interesting as the setting is "literally any world you can imagine plus a medieval castle sometimes". Most people who play it have moved quite far away from the 70's mindset it was written in and the tone ranges widely from cuthroat infighting throne war to close family against the universe.

If it is the setting that bothers you but the general ruleset is OK, I suggest Lords of Gossamer and Shadow. It is Amber 2.0 with the serial numbers filed off. The game I play in is technically Amberway, which to say Amber setting, Everway rules. Everway is also a granddaddy diceless system worth taking a look at. It has some randomness in the form of picking a Tarot-like card to influence how your actions go.

I seem to be in be in the minority in that I enjoy both ends of the spectrum, diceless and super crunchy. Both are good depending on what it is you are trying to do.
Dec 13, 2021 5:08 pm
Maybe I'm mixing up Amber and some other game then 🤔 I'll take another look at it
Mar 29, 2022 6:27 pm
Harrigan says:
bowlofspinach says:
I see Barbarians of Lemuria mentioned fairly often online. I've never looked into it myself but I wouldn't count it as 'no one else plays' :p
I think BoL was a lot more popular in the UK and Europe than it ever was in the US; I know the game isn't unknown here, but I've never, ever seen anyone running it other than me, live or PbP. It's a shame, because it's a gem.
It is, indeed. When my gaming schedule opens again ...
Mar 30, 2022 3:18 am
How on earth did you... unearth... this thread?
Mar 30, 2022 8:48 am
Maybe he's a secret necromancer.
Mar 30, 2022 12:09 pm
I think for forums, it's actually called a necrothreadcer
Mar 30, 2022 12:14 pm
Not a threadomance? No, that is all of us, really: Reading signs and portents in the threads. :)
Mar 30, 2022 12:16 pm
Funnily enough, I own BoL but haven't even read it yet lol.
Mar 30, 2022 12:35 pm
Sounds like someone is running Feng Shui. :) I'm in. Haven't been in long enough to know what people avoid, but I've heard good things about it.

Does it seem like something that would work well on PbP?
Mar 30, 2022 1:46 pm
nezzeraj says:
Funnily enough, I own BoL but haven't even read it yet lol.
I really liked the original, short version of BoL, before it got long and rather complicated. The original had many flaws, but I often wonder if others are also feeling nostalgic about it and transferring that to the Legendary or Mythic (can't remember which is latest) version.

The latest fixed most of the actual problems, but lost part of its soul in the process. :9

I really liked the way all versions handled 'Professions', and try to capture some of that ideology wherever I can, but the rest was... merely OK.
Mar 31, 2022 4:41 am
Paximilian says:
Sounds like someone is running Feng Shui. :) I'm in. Haven't been in long enough to know what people avoid, but I've heard good things about it.

Does it seem like something that would work well on PbP?
I do love Feng Shui (at least the first edition, which is the only one I ran), but I do worry about the initiative system in PbP play. Very structured. Lots of decisions to be made, lots of ability for people to monkey with their 'shots,' and lots of waiting by folks for those who are up next.
Generally disagree on BoL, VagueGM, but I know what you mean to a degree. My favorite version is Legendary (the game needs black and white art, I think), but Mythic really is pretty much the same game, just with one attribute change, a bunch more settings and art I don't dig as much. But we already know we differ on this game. =]
Mar 31, 2022 6:24 am
Ooh I want to see an edition fight that's not D&D or Shadowrun! Haha :P
Mar 31, 2022 9:33 am
I've thoroughly enjoyed Kamigakari for the nine session I ran it to my friends, but after that we switched systems and I never touched it again. Never saw anyone talking about it either, which is a shame, such a great system.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.