Games you like but no one else plays?

load previous
Feb 26, 2021 10:30 pm
I've been running 4e L5R game (as a high school with swords pre-gempukku style) as a duet, and it really reminds me of what is so great about the setting. Would love to get the band together.

The FFG L5R dice are unique once again, and not the same or compatible with their Star Wars or Genesys dice. We have had to use standard dice rollers here and convert each roll on the fly. It's not a hardship but is an extra step.
Mar 3, 2021 7:40 am
Anyone want to play Zork?
Mar 12, 2021 1:58 am
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.
Mar 12, 2021 3:45 am
You better have a glove if you open a door.
Mar 13, 2021 8:15 pm
I don't know about nobody playing but I recently bought the handbook for Zweihander (as a birthday present to myself) and I'd love to play it.
Mar 15, 2021 1:41 am
dankel says:
I don't know about nobody playing but I recently bought the handbook for Zweihander (as a birthday present to myself) and I'd love to play it.
Someone ran a game of it here once. Due to RL circumstances, they had to leave the site, but it was a cool system for sure
Mar 15, 2021 3:07 pm
I love the setting in 7th Sea but the 2nd Edition rule set just isn't my cup of tea.
Mar 15, 2021 4:22 pm
Of course not. It's a book
Mar 16, 2021 9:02 am
bowlofspinach says:
Of course not. It's a book
Lol that joke is illegal unless you are a dad.
Apr 29, 2021 2:37 am
I've got a list of "While Whale" games that I always have the itch for, but I'm either the Forever GM or games fall through IRL/Online before they ever really get going.

L5R 4e. I just love everything about L5R in general, but the ruleset by FFG -- like their other products -- just don't grok with me for some reason. I've been in a few online Winter Court-esque games, but they're always so abundantly overcrowded I find it's hard for anyone except the vets who've been there since Day 1 to really get a chance to shine.

Shadow of the Demon Lord. I just recently finished a long campaign of this with a pretty bitter-sweet ending, and I'd love to actually get to play it for a chance. The grim darkness of this distant fantasy world, however, doesn't seem terribly popular. Sad face.

Ryuutama & Golden Sky Stories. These two are technically unrelated, but they're similar thematically in many ways and also the two I've probably had my eye on for the longest time. I've been dying to really get into a game for Ryuutama in particular. I'm a huge Dragon Quest/Studio Ghibli nerd, and both of these games tick all the boxes for me. I've run a one-shot of Ryuutama, but the curse of Forever GM knows no bounds, haha.

The Final Girl. Admittedly, I get to play this one once or twice a year. It's a game I thought I'd hate, but fell in love with. Big groups, small groups, doesn't matter; it's so light weight you can barrel through an entire "campaign"/film in the span of a few hours. It's fast and visceral, and being the B-Grade horror fan that I am, I love everything about the stereotypical slasher flick scenario in RPG format. Also helps that all you need is some imagination, some index cards and a deck of playing cards.

Masks. I backed this game way back when. I've yet to even play it, try as I might to convince my regular group to give it a shot. Makes me sad every time I see the book on my shelf collecting dust, but hey, it sure is nice to flip through from time to time :D
Jul 8, 2021 4:54 pm
I loved the original ruleset of L5R with the rings for attributes and you couldn't make me play L5R in a more generic later ruleset.

Same holds through for the O.G. Deadlands rules, so cool and so rich and then that gave birth to SWADE is more generic than DND 5e edition level 1 level one fighter.

Another shout out for Feng Shui I/II. Cool game.
Jul 15, 2021 9:24 pm
somebody mentioned Top Secret the other day. (a TSR spy game from the 80's)

I've always played D&D and dabbled in other systems. I'd forgotten about Top Secret, but it might be my 2nd favourite. It was very high-tech at the time, but I bet playing it today would be fun corny, and sentimental.

I wish I still had the books.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/85/Topsecretrpcover.jpg
Last edited July 15, 2021 9:25 pm
Jul 15, 2021 9:27 pm
Seriously though, when I first started playing D&D at 14, I also got with a friend who was running Star Frontiers. It was TSR's attempt to create their own version of a Star Wars RPG. It was pretty fun, actually.
Nov 30, 2021 10:53 am
Amber Diceless and REMINES for sure. Amber is that game where 99% of players won't touch it and REMINES is a game no one has heard of that is based on old 80's video games to some degree.
Nov 30, 2021 12:06 pm
Knifesedgegames says:
https://i.imgur.com/oPHNmXK.jpg
The second RPG I ever played, after my mom learned I was playing D&D at school and told the teacher to make me stop. TMNT had plausible deniability from the Satanic Panic.

I've toyed with running a TMNT: After the Bomb game here, but it would likely use a different system. I loved the premise—post-apocalyptic earth with mutant animals the dominant lifeforms. I guess it's similar to Mutant Year Zero, but maybe several decades in the future, after the animals have established something akin to civilizations.

Might still happen. Or maybe just a straight-up TMNT martial-arts street-level supers game. :)
Last edited November 30, 2021 12:08 pm
Nov 30, 2021 12:12 pm
I'm sure Genesys with the Fight! rules could emulate TMNT!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.