Chapter 1: The Knaves Visit the Spudfields

load previous
Mar 20, 2021 1:30 am
Clomm nodded dismissively, as if he knew the idea was poor all along.
Mar 22, 2021 2:00 am
With evident unease, Endrei eyes the cellar door, secured haphazardly with a shovel's handle. He has no desire to face off against Eliza's mystery biped and its reflective eyes, which suggest that the creature can see in the dark much better than Endrei could hope to. However, he's also well aware that his absence would leave a noticeable, troll-sized hole in the party.

Endrei sighs.

"Well, we're going to need torches," he rumbles. "Or lanterns. Lady, do you have any light to lend?"
Mar 22, 2021 2:11 am
"What about a trap? We lure it out into spikes or a ring of spears or...?" Clomm continues to maintain his calm and sagely demeanor.
Mar 22, 2021 2:34 am
"That's not a bad idea but I left my spears in my other skirt," she says with a serious frown.
Mar 22, 2021 4:57 pm
Conrad comes into the front room supporting his cooing youngest with one arm. "In the shed," he says to Daece, and like that the girl darts outside. When she returns with a pair of torches, they are added to what Eliza has gathered as well.

"Two torches, this oil lamp, and these three candlesticks," the ruddy-faced woman says after lighting one of the candles at her stove, so that it can be used to light the other implements. "Be careful with the lamp, please. Tis an antique, belonged to my gran." It's a nice piece -- brass with a glass cylinder that broadcasts light effectively.
OOC:
The torches and lamp offer good light. Anyone with a candlestick will be at Disadvantage for any tests the require having excellent light.
Mar 22, 2021 6:57 pm
OOC:
Just to be sure: the cellar is below us, right?
"Do you use a ladder to go down in the cellar, Ma'am? And what is the size of the cellar?" asks Elius, thinking.
"I should probably stay above to secure your descent. My bow won't be of much use if I'm at your level in a dark and cramped room." he says in his grating voice, unsure.
"If nothing is bursting out of the trapdoor when we open it, you should be safe going down the ladder. I'm open to any other ideas though."
Mar 22, 2021 11:08 pm
Audree hates planning and as soon as they have some light sources, she pulls out the improvsed lock and opens the cellar door.
OOC:
If we all stay together only the brightest light source would matter right?
Mar 23, 2021 7:33 am
"There's a ladder, yes," Eliza answers, then her husband chimes in regarding the size of the basement.

"It's the full size of the building," the man says -- and then he and his wife are exclaiming and darting backwards as Watters unbolts and open the trap door. It creaks as it opens, and lands heavily as it settles on the floor. Cold air wafts out of the blackness, but no monster bursts out, no dark tentacles wrap around Audree's ankles to pull her in...

All is quiet below.
OOC:
There is a trap door in the floor in this front room, so yes, it looks like the cellar is directly beanth you. And light-wise, I don't have hard and fast rules for it (nor will I), but the torches and lamp will typically give you 25-30'ish of darkness denial, a candle maybe 10' or so, and it's just much dimmer in general.
Mar 23, 2021 9:24 pm
"I probably shouldn't take a torch," Endrei muses. He reaches back and curls fingers like fattened garden snakes around the handle of his war hammer, protruding from the hillock of one shoulder. The man brushes the bands of wrapped leather with a certain gentleness of touch.

"This thing requires two hands." He pauses, then adds a little sheepishly, "Even for me."
Mar 24, 2021 12:44 pm
Clomm grips his pole tightly, and holds on to a candle with the other. He makes no indication of entering down below until well after the others.
Mar 24, 2021 12:49 pm
Audree grabs a torch and says "Ladies first," before descending the stairs.
Mar 24, 2021 9:49 pm
Elius covers his companions descent with his bow before following them once they are safely touching the floor.
Mar 25, 2021 12:01 am
Endrei's eyebrows creep up his skull-bones as Audree takes a torch-- and the initiative-- down into the cellar with her.

"After you, madam," he murmurs appreciatively. The brute waits until the lass and her light have made some headway, then turns and begins his descent upon the ladder. Each rung creaks with his weight.

Rolls

Endrei's Ladder Adventure - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Mar 25, 2021 12:37 am
Leading down into the seemingly drafty cellar is a rough-hewn ladder, likely one made by the Spudfields themselves. The angle is such that Audree cannot safely descend it facing forwards, so she has to turn around and climb down the usual way, which means her back is vulnerable as she sinks, rung by rung, into the dark. Carrying a torch slows her down as well, but her initial sweep with her firebrand dispels the shadows quick enough, showing the woman that the space beneath her and the immediate surrounding area at least, seem devoid of monsters, if not jars and sacks and boxes and barrels and such.

As her feet touch the damp, packed earthen floor a chill moves through the woman, making her shiver. There's a smell as well, one reminiscent of rot and decay, but it's faint, not strong. Above, the ladder creaks and moans as Endrei begins descending...
OOC:
Endrei, please roll 1d6. On a 1, the whole ladder straight-up breaks and you fall, suffering 1 damage. On a 2, you break one rung, which will require repair, but you make it down safely. On a 3-6, it's smooth sailing. Also, map coming soon.
Mar 25, 2021 1:40 am
OOC:
The cellar at present. Audree is at the foot of the ladder, Endrei is coming down...
https://i.imgur.com/KbQLgIR.jpg
Mar 25, 2021 1:43 am
The ladder cracks and groans and shifts -- Watters is sure it's going to splinter and shatter under her big companion's mass... but it doesn't. It holds, and soon enough the man joins the torch-wielding woman and pulls out his two-handed weapon as goosebumps and hairs rise on his forearms.
OOC:
Who's next, and what's everyone in the cellar proper now doing?
Mar 25, 2021 2:20 am
Audree walks forward a little bit to the first grouping of crates to make room for her compatriots.
Mar 25, 2021 4:03 pm
Endrei's fingers ripple along the handle of his war hammer as he resettles his grip. The man shuffles forward to stand beside Audree, clearing the way for his fellows to descend. He peers into the murk at the limit of the woman's torchlight, alert for any glimmer of reflection. The farmer's wife told them that whatever she saw down here had reflective eyes, so if it's watching them from the darkness, they should see that first.
Mar 26, 2021 6:26 am
Clomm making no sign of moving, Elius moves down the ladder.
Mar 26, 2021 12:40 pm
Clomm gives a quiet sigh of relief and follows behind the others, holding his pole out ahead of him like a sword. The shadows of the candle cast his pocks and scars in stark relief. He wished he had cast the spell in his book...
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.