Chapter 1: The Knaves Visit the Spudfields

load previous
Mar 27, 2021 7:16 am
Watters and Endrei inch forward a bit, moving to give the others room as they descend, pushing the dancing shadows back with the woman's torchlight. By the time both Wax and Clomm have joined them, coming carefully down the ladder, there's enough light to illuminate the whole of the cellar. It is as the Spudfields described -- full of root vegetables and grains in bushels and barrels, preserves in jars and bottles, spare stores of various kinds in old crates and worn wooden boxes.

A few things take their attention as they quietly explore. The first is a jagged hole in the far masonry wall, damage or a collapse of some kind. It's a narrow opening, wider at the bottom than the top, and the cold draft coming from it is unmistakable. A quick look shows that beyond the opening lies a tunnel of some sort. Next is a piece of thick leather laying on the ground in the middle of the basement -- what looks like a strap, or perhaps a collar. Near the hole are a few scraps of cloth on the ground, and something that looks dark and sticky on the packed earth floor.

https://i.imgur.com/FKnWtJm.jpg
Mar 27, 2021 7:55 am
Audree calls back to the family, "There's a hole in your cellar wall that leads to a tunnel. It must be how the creature got in. By the by, do you have a pet of some sort?"
Last edited March 27, 2021 7:56 am
Mar 27, 2021 6:16 pm
Endrei sets the haft of his war hammer against the packed earth and kneels to inspect the band of leather. He looks for any eye, clasp or buckle that might indicate its purpose. Does it appear to be torn or sundered?

"The family just buried a dog," he murmurs to Audree, not loud enough to be heard above. He sounds puzzled. Could the creature have killed it? How would a dog have gotten into the cellar, accessible only by way of a ladder?
OOC:
Since Endrei is closely examining the leather item, could I get a little more description? Is it, in fact, an animal collar?
Last edited March 28, 2021 3:12 pm
Mar 28, 2021 8:07 am
All five Spudfields crowd around the open trap door and peer down at the adventurers. Eliza is about to ask 'what do you see?' when Audree calls up to them.

"A hole in the wall?!" Conrad says, gently rocking his infant. "That's new!"

"We have barn cats," Daece adds, before he younger brother chimes in as well.

"And a dog! A big one! Doris is her name!"

"Son," Conrad says in an admonishing tone, "we've told you. Doris is gone. We buried her weeks ago, lad."

"Beyond that," Eliza calls down to Watters, "just chickens and goats and our sow and other farm animals. Why do you ask?"
Mar 28, 2021 8:58 am
"There's what appears to be a leather collar down here. Did Doris wear a collar?"
Mar 28, 2021 6:27 pm
Clomm’s eyes open wide at the mention of the dog. "We should’ve brought a priest..."
Mar 28, 2021 8:14 pm
"She did," Conrad says with a frown, peering down at the faces looking up at him from the torchlit gloom. Disappearing from sight, the man's footfalls can be heard overhead as he walks to a different part of the house.

Cold air continues to waft from the hole in the drystone cellar wall, and those not actively engaged in conversing with the Spudfields swear something can be heard on that chill zephyr -- a groan, a muttering, a hissed whisper.

The patriarch reappears at the edge of the opening in the ceiling. "I'm not sure how, but her collar is gone from where we'd hung it in the kitchen!"

The man's children exchange glances as Endrei eyes the piece of leather on the ground more carefully, and does believe it looks like it could be a dog's collar -- complete with a metal buckle and a few holes punched along part of its length. It's large. If it once fit a dog, the creature would weigh a dozen stone or more.
Mar 29, 2021 2:52 am
With an unhappy sort of grunt, Endrei grasps his weapon and pulls himself to his feet. If dead and buried dogs are truly abroad below ground, scratching into the cellars of farmhouses, then he wants no part of such unnatural dealings. Even for a hot meal and a soft bed. That three-copper corner back at The Bellowing Bear is starting to look mighty attractive in retrospect.

"Ask your boy when he saw Doris last," Endrei calls up. His grim tone hints at the answer he fears.

Straightening, the brute surveys the gap revealed by Audree's torchlight. "Could we... just move some boxes in front of that, maybe?" he suggests, not very hopefully.
Mar 29, 2021 6:24 am
"I'm afraid it would only be a temporary fix. Shall I go first into the tunnel?"
Mar 29, 2021 7:25 am
"I ain't seen her since before," the boy says, responding to Endrei. "Before Pa buried her. But I heared her! I'd know Doris's bark and growl anywhere, and I heared her down there, where you are, last night and before that too!"

Taking her excitable boy and moving him back behind her skirts, Eliza has heard enough from her son. "Look, I don't know what you're getting at down there, but I can tell you it was no dog I saw last night, dead or alive down there!"
Mar 29, 2021 8:35 am
"Do you think it's a trap? The peasants want to loot our dead bodies?" mutters Elius under his breath.
"Seems unlikely, they must have seen we don't have anything."

Then, louder "Could everyone please stay quiet for a few seconds? I want to check if we hear something. Anything. Afterwards, I'll follow you Audree."
Mar 29, 2021 4:15 pm
OOC:
Chiming in with this here just to avoid having to have each of you type "I quiet down."
Wax nears the dark passage as his companions quiet down, and as he feels the chill from the dark on his exposed skin he listens carefully. It's hard for him -- as it would be for anyone -- to describe what he hears. The deafening silence of being deep underground, punctuated from time to time with a soft, barely audible scraping sound, or more rarely, a thud, like a clod of earth falling. There is something more, though. A noise in the background, almost an absence of sound, like an ever-present wind that the ear has learned to not hear.

Then, from time to time, Wax hears it. A whisper? It's beyond faint and impossible to decipher, but it does sound like someone speaking, ever so softly.
Mar 30, 2021 9:33 pm
Endrei shifts uncomfortably from foot to foot. He really shouldn't let a woman like Audree precede him into danger, despite her obvious courage. Then again, if he goes first, he's going to block the light from her torch and won't be able to see well ahead of him. He could stumble over an obstruction, or step into some hidden hole... or worse.

Endrei almost asks Audree for her thoughts on the matter, but Elius Wax is listening at the tunnel's entrance for any sound of trouble, and so the giant thinks better of speaking. He keeps his worries to himself. Endrei takes up a position behind Watters with his great hammer gripped in both hands, ready to follow her into the darkness.
Mar 31, 2021 2:30 am
With eyes bulging at the strange sounds, Clomm leans his pole against the wall and rifles through his satchel. The spine of the spell book cracks as he flips it open, and begins to read the cryptic runes in a faltering whisper, the candle trembling somewhat. He’d killed men, sure. Beasts even. But this was something else. Something profane. He needed all the luck he could get.
OOC:
Casting my one spell.

Rolls

Lucky d20 one - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Lucky d20 two - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Mar 31, 2021 7:30 am
After the careful listening of Elius Wax, the silent contemplation of Endrei, and the arcane whispers of Clomm, Watters can hold her zeal no longer. She ducks through the hole in the wall, entering the tunnel beyond, and her torch lights the way as her fellows come behind her.

The earthen tunnel looks hastily dug, and the floor, walls, and ceiling are soft. The damp and mottled dirt surrounding them smells strongly; each step squishes a few inches into the ground. Audree cannot stand upright but does not need to crawl... Endrei has considerably worse a time, having to stoop significantly to make progress. It is not easy for the big man to see, as Watter's form and garb block the light she's holding in front of her, and that from behind him seems to do little more than cast shadows.

Anyone looking carefully at the walls of the tunnel can determine easily enough that it looks like it was dug by hand, at least in part. The passageway narrows slightly as they walk, and after fifty feet or so Audree calls a halt. There are tracks before her, muddled and difficult to distinguish, and a few scraps of fabric, similar to those seen back in the cellar.
OOC:
Okay. What order are you walking in? Is it Audree > Endrei > Wax > Clomm? How far apart are each of you?

Speaking of Clomm, correct me if I'm wrong but you now have an 8 and a 2 in a little pool of die results you can use at your leisure. Edit: or actually, just the 8.
Apr 1, 2021 11:33 pm
OOC:
Sounds about right. For distance I'd say 6 feet or so.
Apr 2, 2021 1:06 am
OOC:
Correct, just the 8. And yeah Clomm is definitely in the back.
Apr 2, 2021 2:48 am
OOC:
That marching order and separation sound fine to me.
Apr 3, 2021 7:02 am
OOC:
Alright, order set. What's the approach? Stopping to examine anything I've described, moving on, etc.?
Apr 3, 2021 8:49 am
Not wanting to get distracted lest they be caught unawares, Audree continues on leading the group.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.