Spelljammer: This isn't Waterdeep!?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 21, 2021 10:38 am
This isn't Waterdeep!?
That is your first thought when you look out the window. Your head hurts and you are hungry. You awoke a minute ago with some strange headband on your head. This looks like the cabin of a ship, but the view is very wrong. On the wall next to your bed is painted a blue line. You can see other people on similar beds, with similar headbands, with glowing blue lines reaching each bed. You can see as the glow fades, the person starts to wake up.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/80/4a/60/804a60cceb14a1e1a1c722f3b14103f6.jpg

Who are you?(the player)
* You are from Waterdeep, where you have been seen performing magic of some sort.
* The game system is D&D 5e and you of 3rd of 5th level and almost everything published on D&D beyond that fits in Forgotten realms is automatically approved. If in doubt, ask.
* * Clerics are discouraged, as your god might not answer where you are right now. But if it is your wish we can discuss it.
* * You only have your starting gear in the cabin you are in. But somewhere near is 2 uncommon items that you used to own.
* You are not a murderhobo! This is an exploration game with several mysteries that need to be solved for you to get home. That is your primary motivation, to get back home. My goal is 40% Roleplay, 40% Exploration, 20% Combat
OOC:
The premise of the game is that you have been kidnapped are is now lost in space and you want to get home. I imagine the game will have several stages
1) waking up getting your bearings
2) explore the ship. What happened here?
3) How do we use the ship?
4) We can fly the ship, but where to? How do we get home?
5...N) one or more shenanigans in space, including at least one adventure from Candlekeep mysteries reskinned for this game. Eventually, they learn how to navigate the crystal spheres
N+1) Landing in Waterdeep. The end.
If this sounds like something you would play, let me know. Give me an idea of your character concept, but don't waste time crafting a full character until you have been invited into the game forum. I would like 3-4 suggestions as to what uncommon items your character used to own.

I will choose 4-5 players and ideally at least one new to the Gamersplane forum.

Like previously stated I'm still in the prepping stage, but I'm slacking, so this is the push I need to get going. This also means that we won't start play until at least next weekend.
Last edited May 23, 2021 7:36 pm
Mar 21, 2021 11:26 am
https://i.imgur.com/fTEvmie.png
Anybody who's been on GP for a while knows that Runekyndig is a very active member here. He isn't one of those DMs who will ghost you.

Spelljammer with an active and engaged DM? I suspect this will fill up very quickly.

If you're new to GP and are looking for a 5e game - this is probably the hottest ticket on here.
Mar 21, 2021 11:31 am
Yes please! Give me a day or so for a concept, but I am totally In
Last edited March 21, 2021 11:31 am
Mar 21, 2021 2:25 pm
I'll second Adam's recommendation for Runekyndig. A long time player, who remains consistently imaginative and reliable.
Mar 21, 2021 3:37 pm
Adam says:
https://i.imgur.com/fTEvmie.png
Anybody who's been on GP for a while knows that Runekyndig is a very active member here. He isn't one of those DMs who will ghost you.

Spelljammer with an active and engaged DM? I suspect this will fill up very quickly.

If you're new to GP and are looking for a 5e game - this is probably the hottest ticket on here.
Qralloq says:
I'll second Adam's recommendation for Runekyndig. A long time player, who remains consistently imaginative and reliable.
Guys, you are making me blush :D
Mar 21, 2021 3:41 pm
I am interested as well!! This sounds like a lot of fun, and I know from my own game that you are a wonderful player :). I will post a character concept or two later tonight when I have time to sit down and think! :)

Edit(like 20 minutes later): I was trying to focus on homework but instead I was just thinking about this game lol. My favorite concept so far is a Horizon Walker Firbolg who was just beginning to study the planes and how it all works. He came to Waterdeep to study and now all of a sudden this happens, so he is VERY excited to have been transported here. Whereas other people might fear their current predicament, this is like a trip to Disneyland for him. Some possible magic items might be the Headband of Intellect, Elemental Gem, or Eyes of the Eagle
Last edited March 21, 2021 4:18 pm
Mar 22, 2021 8:46 am
I really like how clearly you've stated the premise and expectations for this game. Obviously I'm not new to the site, but I'm certainly interested.

The first concept that sprang to mind was a character who is a traditionally "vermin" race, like a kobold or goblin. He's not evil, but is unusually intelligent, ambitious and power-hungry for one of his species. He's obsessed with magic and magical items, and that path has naturally led him to Waterdeep where he has lurked in the shadows and stolen anything magical he can get his hands on. I'd play him as an Arcane Trickster, perhaps leaning more into Wizard as he gains levels.

Worth noting: I will not be attempting to steal anything from the party. I'm not in favour of PvP, the players should be on the same team. The character might want to steal things, but will always have a reason not to - I see this as an interesting roleplaying challenge in itself.

As far as items that he could have acquired before being abducted, he would lean towards flashy, obvious magic, or things that would help him liberate other magical items from their owners. Good candidate items would include a bag of tricks, gloves of thievery, a hat of disguise, or a wand of magic missiles.
Mar 22, 2021 2:44 pm
Man I feel myself getting overextended, but hot-dang if this isn't an interesting concept!

I'm in if I can play an ape of some kind.
Last edited March 22, 2021 3:56 pm
Mar 22, 2021 8:05 pm
I'd love to join if there ends up being room. Never played much in Spelljammer but I'm pretty good at 5e.
Mar 22, 2021 8:53 pm
therecusant says:
I love the Spelljammer setting, I’d like to join you if possible
Give me a short description of your character concept
Mar 22, 2021 8:54 pm
DragonDweller62 says:
I'd love to join if there ends up being room. Never played much in Spelljammer but I'm pretty good at 5e.
Mar 22, 2021 9:08 pm
I'm thinking Warlock or wild magic sorcerer. An elf. Leaning towards wild magic and being a bit of an embarrassment to his wizard family. Not asking much in terms of special items. Still fine tuning.
Mar 22, 2021 10:24 pm
runekyndig says:
DragonDweller62 says:
Thinking of playing a cavalier fighter who is a Knight of Myth Drannor (Knight of the Order background). They stopped in Waterdeep on a smaller unrelated quest. My items could include a weapon of warning, a saddle of the cavalier, a helm of comprehending languages, or a sentinel shield.
Mar 23, 2021 1:42 am
Asahina Takeshi, Obsidian Scribe of the Nine Immortal Dragons (Order of Scribes Wizard), studied all manner of esoteric secrets—whether the forbidden wings of Shou Lung scroll houses or creeping among catacombs for the rumors of black scrolls hidden away by Mad Thay necromancers. The inquisitive wu jen pursued relics from Shou Lung said to lurk within Waterdeep’s New Olamn archives. Takeshi quickly established residence in Waterdeep as a visiting lore keeper and mystical scholar.

Takeshi may have possessed the Scroll of Ascendant Sight (Arcane Grimoire), Heart of the Amethyst Dragon (Psi Crystal), Pearl of the Blooming Lotus (Pearl of Power), or Pendant of the Sea Dragon (Necklace of Adaptation) to enhance his elemental mastery.
Last edited March 23, 2021 12:42 pm
Mar 23, 2021 6:22 am
DragonDweller62 says:
runekyndig says:
DragonDweller62 says:
Thinking of playing a cavalier fighter who is a Knight of Myth Drannor (Knight of the Order background). They stopped in Waterdeep on a smaller unrelated quest. My items could include a weapon of warning, a saddle of the cavalier, a helm of comprehending languages, or a sentinel shield.
I am not being cruel to you deliberately, but I would reject you as a player, as you had not read the premise of the game properly.

Your character has been seen casting spells, and a Cavalier does not have any magical abilities. But luckily there is time, as by Friday I will send out invitations to the game. Present another character concept before that, and you are still in the race.
Mar 23, 2021 3:02 pm
Concept:

"Ham" an adventurer from another plane.
Race: ape (if you're open to tinkering with a homebrew race) more here
Class: multiclass barbarian (rage issues) / sorcerer (psionic)
Ham was an astronaut explorer from an alternate dimension (far traveller background). His space capsule passed through a warp vortex and he crash landed on Faerun. He has made his way to Warerdeep where he sought answers on how to return to his dimension. He was in the fruit market of Waterdeep and then he remembered nothing before winding up in the hold of the spell jammer.

His missing items: headband of intellect, wand of magic missiles (ray gun), ring of jumping, goggles of night, sending stones (communicators).

Character portrait:
https://fsb.zobj.net/crop.php?r=c-TwZ70DmfaiVG55hJ7FgSSTNPxa4hLR-keR5zFiWmE2Dqkpoi4Fjr2qilfx1bFmrpVn4eTlM9Pi49oaIJdK6VBRM_clJzzhcqzUv3eYOgL_bsaDzhu0BemF-GZDNdtcrG-QytFRbwghluUn
Last edited March 23, 2021 3:43 pm
Mar 23, 2021 3:22 pm
Adam says:
https://i.imgur.com/JlvkkCP.jpg
LOL. Missed the spell caster part. Well he's multiclass now. Sorcerer abberant mind / barbarian (wild magic?)
Mar 23, 2021 3:52 pm
SJoyner72 says:
Adam says:
https://i.imgur.com/JlvkkCP.jpg
LOL. Missed the spell caster part. Well he's multiclass now. Sorcerer abberant mind / barbarian (wild magic?)
And why is his main motivation to return to waterdeep? A spaceabe is not the character for this game. Please let me know if the game premise was unclear.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.