Character Concepts and creation

Mar 21, 2021 11:13 am
Character creation

Do you what to play 3rd or 5th level?
Do you what to roll 4d6, drop lowest or use point buy?
Mar 24, 2021 2:05 pm
I would prefer to play at 5th level because that way we as characters feel a bit more powerful, and extra attack is so much more satisfying to me lol. As for scores, I have never ever rolled well when rolling for a character, so my vote would go for point buy.

However, Im not picky and will be excited to play either way!
Mar 24, 2021 3:31 pm
Also just checking, are we allowed to use the optional class features from Tasha's? Imo they did a lot of good things for the ranger in that book, and I might have to change my character concept if Tasha's isn't allowed
Mar 24, 2021 4:12 pm
Feel free to look in:
Player's Handbook
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Tasha's Cauldron of Everything
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

Anything else, swing it by me :)
Mar 24, 2021 4:15 pm
Amazing, thank you :)
Mar 24, 2021 4:42 pm
Tasha's Cauldron of Everything really opens up for interesting character builds
Mar 24, 2021 4:45 pm
But the rule of thumb, if it is in Dndbeyond.com and fits forgotten realms, then it is good. Even the ones marked UA

ie the rangers subclasses
Beast Master
Drakewarden (UA)
Fey Wanderer
Gloom Stalker
Horizon Walker
Hunter
Monster Slayer
Swarmkeeper
Mar 24, 2021 4:57 pm
runekyndig says:
Tasha's Cauldron of Everything really opens up for interesting character builds
I agree, I love the switching of ability scores and stuff, cuz there are some wacky and fun characters that can be born from it without feeling like you're cheating yourself by not picking the stereotypical races. Like goliath bards and kenku barbarians
Mar 24, 2021 8:49 pm
I'm fine with point buy, haven't done it in ages so may need a refresher. I always get 1 awesome stat and the rest garbage when I roll. Been doing standard or elite array in other groups
Mar 24, 2021 9:07 pm
rolling stats is a gamble, where point-buy is playing it save
I don't mind if one player rolls and the other uses point buy, nor do I mind if one is 5th level and another wants to be lev 3 (I wouldn't understand, but I would not mind)
Mar 25, 2021 4:01 am
The Beastmaster changes in Tasha's are pretty great for Rangers, so I can at least vouch for that aspect. What kind of Ranger were you thinking?

I'd prefer a 5th level start, and I'm happy with point buy... but if given the option I'd still go for rolling, because rolling is fun. :)
Last edited March 25, 2021 4:01 am
Mar 25, 2021 9:08 am
Okay, so concept-wise: Khezzik was a small, runt-of-the-litter kobold with pale grey-white scales. He grew up in a sprawling cave-warren with hundreds of other members of his clan, who lived in service to the green dragon Morgalitrax. They helped defend the dragon's hoard from adventurers, and occasionally ventured out to attack travellers and small villages, bringing anything of value back to the dragon.

Khezzik was curious and prone to questioning the way things were, which often got him into trouble. Over time, he learned to accept most of the ways of kobold life, but one burning question remained always in his mind - Why could the kobolds not take advantage of the magical treasures the dragon kept in its hoard? To him, it seemed so obvious. If the kobolds could arm themselves with magical weapons, and wands that could hurl fireballs, then that would let them attack much richer and more well-defended targets, and return triumphant with even better loot. Surely that would please the great dragon?

The kobold elders were horrified at these questions, and briefly considered letting Khezzik simply ask the dragon himself and inevitably be annihilated. However, Morgalitrax was a vicious and belligerent dragon at the best of times, and they decided it would be better not to rouse his anger. Instead, they exiled Khezzik as an example to all the kobolds.

For someone who had literally never been alone for a single moment in the seven years since he hatched, being made to leave the warren and kobold society was a terrifying and overwhelming prospect. The only thing that kept Khezzik going was that he now had something to prove. He would gather all the most powerful magic he could find, and then... and then he wasn't sure what he would do after that. But gaining magical power was the important thing.

He wandered into other humanoid settlements, and quickly discovered that he wasn't welcome. People often attacked him on sight, so he learned to stay hidden and steal what he needed. Whenever he found someone who seemed to be able to use magic, he followed them for as long as possible and studied them intently, until he grasped how to weave the spells himself. He accidentally spent a lot of time following sleight-of-hand street charlatans as a result, but he learned to put those skills to good use, too.

After a short while in any town or village, Khezzik had to move on. The townsfolk would start to get suspicious, and he was nearly caught several times. Eventually, though, he found his way to a settlement so vast and strange that it seemed to offer limitless hiding places: Waterdeep. Even better, magical artefacts and magicians of all kinds were abundant, almost common, here. So much power, just waiting for a clever, opportunistic kobold to snatch it for themselves...

Rules-wise, Khezzik is a Kobold Rogue (Arcane Trickster) 5. I'm going to take a punt on rolling some stats. :)

Edit: 18, 15, 14, 13, 12, 12. Nice!

Edit 2: Added wealth roll (500+d10x25gp: 650gp)
Last edited March 25, 2021 1:41 pm

Rolls

Stats - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (5341) = 13

4d6 : (2346) = 15

4d6 : (1462) = 13

4d6 : (2546) = 17

4d6 : (6444) = 18

4d6 : (3666) = 21

Wealth - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Mar 25, 2021 12:52 pm
I'll maintain the Order of Scribes route with a level five wizard. I'll use Point Buy; rolling for stats on Gamer's Plane tends to lowball whenever I've tempted fate. :'D

Should we assume expensive spell components (and thus expensive spells) are off the table for character generation?

Asahina Takeshi (朝日崇史), Obsidian Scribe of the Nine Immortal Dragons, studied all manner of esoteric secrets—whether the forbidden wings of Shou Lung scroll houses or creeping among catacombs for the rumors of black scrolls hidden away by Mad Thay necromancers. The inquisitive wu jen pursued relics from Shou Lung said to lurk within Waterdeep’s New Olamn archives. Takeshi quickly established residence in Waterdeep as a visiting lore keeper and mystical scholar.

The Scribe has loaned out his services as an archivist and amanuensis to clientele willing to afford his rates. His unique script conjuration has caught the attention of his arcane peers, though the Shou wizard does not reveal how he accelerates his scribal duties. His shop the Scroll Binder operates as a confluence of his Utter Eastern culture, part tea shop, part book binding, part consultancy. These combine to create a "watering hole" where the attentive mage eavesdrops on the rumors, whispers, and lore of his cultured customers.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/fd/c3/69/fdc369435a713aa33c399f5601900856.jpg
Akio is Takeshi's shiki-no-kami. This mischievous spirit likes to rearrange bookshelves, bat parchment stacks over, and nibble on quills. However, the tressym also keeps watch over his master's shop when the owner is away, ensuring thieves do not take the scholar's prized collections.
Last edited March 25, 2021 1:13 pm
Mar 25, 2021 1:02 pm
Galdr says:
Should we assume expensive spell components (and thus expensive spells) are off the table for character generation?
What did you have in mind?
Mar 25, 2021 1:17 pm
runekyndig says:
Galdr says:
What did you have in mind?
Identify, Clairvoyance, and Summon Fey seem like useful spells for an investigative game.
Mar 25, 2021 1:26 pm
I see in the DMG that you should have 500 gp plus 1d10 Ă— 25 gp as starting funds. Since you are all 5th level, that that is your starting amount on top of the starting equipment.
The 4 uncommon magic items, you will have in our 1-on-1 session, but not when you wake up in space. You will find some of them again, but not all.
Mar 25, 2021 1:34 pm
runekyndig says:
I see in the DMG that you should have 500 gp plus 1d10 Ă— 25 gp as starting funds. Since you are all 5th level, that that is your starting amount on top of the starting equipment.
The 4 uncommon magic items, you will have in our 1-on-1 session, but not when you wake up in space. You will find some of them again, but not all.
Alright, that is a fair shake. I'll include the spell components on his sheet and see what emerges in the bowels of the ship. It would be realistic to not have all his things in an abduction scenario.
Mar 25, 2021 1:35 pm
Rolling additional wealth from 5th level increase.

Rolls

Starting geld (x25) - (1d10)

(7) = 7

Mar 25, 2021 2:07 pm
I submitted a character sheet for review. The additional purchases outline in the Items.

Point Buy
Aereni Elf race selected to adapt as a Shou Lung elf. Custom ASI: +2 Int, +1 Dex
Class: Order of Scribes Wizard
Background: Sage
Purchases: Spell components and additional wizard spells learned.
Mar 25, 2021 2:38 pm
hey let's take a risk...

Rolls

stats - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (3431) = 11

4d6 : (5136) = 15

4d6 : (5343) = 15

4d6 : (3541) = 13

4d6 : (6454) = 19

4d6 : (6415) = 16

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.