Danger at Dunwater

load previous
May 10, 2021 10:15 am
"Indeed," the magus nodded along Venemar's response. "We should not exclude the possibility of talking our way out of any confrontation, but we should not expect them to look kindly at our presence in their lair. And even if they do not recognize us, they should expect them to react with hostility, since they are preparing to wage war against the townships of men."
May 14, 2021 12:50 am
Natassia grows more and more agitated. "We should be doing something... anything. The longer we wait, the more our window of opportunity closes. If any of them escaped, as you say, they have surely warned their fellows by now."
May 14, 2021 8:39 pm
"Yes!" exclaims Gazza, "I'm sick of all this yabber - let's get to shore and get stuck into them, my axe hand is getting itchy!"
May 14, 2021 11:30 pm
"Let's get on," says Venemar pulling on his backpack and checking his weapons.

To Tom and Will he says, "You'll see us if it's daylight. If it's dark we'll shoot a fire arrow - no second thoughts we'll signal with a lantern - three flashes in quick succession, for the signal to pick us up. Bear in mind we may have to leave in a rush."
OOC:
Amended - I thought using the lantern would be better. This can be seen by Tom and Will and not so visible from further away.
Last edited May 15, 2021 10:24 pm
May 15, 2021 6:10 am
Albionus moves towards the prow, looking at the approaching landmass and mutters something to Archibald, before sending him off into the skies above.
OOC:
Sending his familiar to keep an eye around the higher path, and to head back if anything humanoid or large moves, to warn his master.

Ready to go!
May 15, 2021 3:25 pm
Gylan follows the rest in readying for a landing.
OOC:
Do we have a normal marching order?
May 15, 2021 10:25 pm
OOC:
See Venemar's amended post above.
OOC:
Venemar is willing to be at the front, with maybe Natassia nearby in case we need to check for traps and so on.
Last edited May 15, 2021 10:27 pm
May 16, 2021 7:05 pm
The group puts to shore and sets out for the entrance of the mound. You follow the track for about 200 yards, where it fords a small river. From here, you can see that it is about 200 yards to the promontory proper. You also spot a previously unnoticed small cave on the western side of the mound, near the base. One of the tracks leads directly to this cave. A secondary track goes further to the north and Archimedes can confirm that it leads to a clump of tall grasses and shrubs. The cave is about 300 yards from your current position.
May 16, 2021 10:23 pm
Venemar gets his bow ready. He points towards the small cave in the western side of the mound. "Do you think we should investigate that cave first? We have to start somewhere and it seems as good a place as any."
May 17, 2021 9:54 am
OOC:
Archimedes is a much better name! But I'll stick to Archibald, for consistency's sake...
The mage slapped his neck as an annoying mosquito took a bite despite his layers of garments. He cursed softly before responding to Venemar.

"Doesn't seem unreasonable to have a look, but if the way is guarded, perhaps we should backtrack? I'll send Archibald to ahve a quick look."

Taking a moment to examine the ground where the passage bifurcates, Albionus sent his owl to follow the passage to the western, lower entrance, and asked him to discreetly assess if there seemed to be any obvious movement within.
OOC:
Does the ground contain any obvious tracks that a pair of untrained eyes could discern? As to Archibald, I don't want him to enter, but just to position himself 30-40ft away and observe for a couple of minutes. He should take no risks.
Last edited May 17, 2021 9:55 am
May 17, 2021 5:44 pm
A cave entrance 30-feet wide and 15-feet high comes up before Archibald. The marsh turns to glutinous mud as he nears the entrance and it is obvious from tracks that large creatures have passed in and out of the cave.
May 17, 2021 8:44 pm
"That sounds good to me. We'll have to go mucking about caves eeee.... eventually," Gylan states.
May 17, 2021 9:52 pm
"There certainly is evidence of passage... much passage, in fact." the Magus stated after conferring quickly with Archibald. "We might make a more discreet form of entry if we entered by a back door, which this does not seem to be..."
OOC:
I'm okay either way, just playing his risk-averse side. He is genuinely concerned that entering here might mean raising the alarm faster... but it could just as well be that this is the entry to their stable of ten foot-long crocodile steeds.
May 18, 2021 6:10 am
"If you think that's their 'front door', given what you've learned from your familiar, then maybe we should keep on up the track to the concealed entrance?" He looks towards the others as to what they think.
Last edited May 18, 2021 6:10 am
May 18, 2021 1:17 pm
"All my avian friend can tell us is that there are signs of many tracks entering this cave. It might just be due to the muddy ground in front of the entrance. If we're going in here, we should just be ready to run into opposition sooner."

From his expression, it seemed the Magus was willing to enter by any of the two known entrances.
May 18, 2021 3:12 pm
Gylan takes the time during the discussion to take out his flail and ready his shield. "I'm ready for any...uh whatever happens. Let's go in! Who usually carries the torch? I have a few, and a prayer for Light ready, if needed." Gylan starts shifting on his feet, almost bouncing, in nervous, yet excited energy, a grin on his bearded face, about to charge into the darkness to banish it in the name of the light.
Last edited May 18, 2021 3:14 pm
May 20, 2021 2:54 am
"I think Albionus has the lantern."
May 20, 2021 7:27 am
"Indeed," the magus stated as he began rummaging his pack, looking for his oil lantern.

"All of you ready to go in through this entrance?", he asked, a tinge of nervousness on his voice. "I'll light this once we are inside..."
May 21, 2021 3:08 pm
"Ready - I was born ready!" snarls Gazza
May 21, 2021 5:00 pm
"By the light and cudgel of St. Cuthbert, let's have at it!"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.