Other Lives

load previous
May 26, 2021 1:49 am
Meeting Lucky's intense gaze, the young Balosar woman nodded at the soldier's sensible request, "I'll see what I can do --- So it's the diplomatic shuttle then? Fitted out with a quarantine suite?

"Anything else?"
Jun 1, 2021 1:50 am
Trailing Sectors Command - Denon

The large cruiser slowly settled on it's landing gear - the diplomatic shuttle Bravo was to use miniscule in comparison - it's massive, heavy loading ramp slow to descend as the whole of Denon base turned out in their dress uniforms. No one faulted the Squad for their armor - for theirs was important work they were moments from setting off on - as the Honor Guard took their positions, the ramp settling with a massive hiss of compressed air, revealing the flag draped coffins within.

Master Kota was the first to ascend, pausing at the first, undoubtedly offering some words for his fallen friend General Ima-Gun Di - whose squad had been working with the Ryloth Resistance movement and where he and Captain Keeli had fought to the last man ensuring the Resistance's escape. With a call of 'present arms' from the base commander, all present saluted, the Honor Guard respectively and slowly bringing the fallen out. So many - an entire Company - and a pointed reminder of the costs of war.
They caught Sarge staring out the shuttles front view port, the procession long since past and the Squad resuming their preparations to leave.

So many of our brothers," he said, shaking his self free from his reverie, "Best we be on our way. Before whatever they were cooking up gets released and we are forced to endure more of these.
OOC:
With it being Memorial Day here in the USA, I was inspired I guess with a sort of Memorial themed post.

Please post whatever character introspection or development/interaction you want but the important thing is that everyone tell me what gear they are bringing. I feel like now we know what to expect so I am leaving mission gear up to the Squad. Pretty much anything listed in the Rise of Separatists and Collapse of the Republic books is available. Anything else will need to roll for availability using the Rarity rules found in the Gear section of any of the books. You can replace Negotiation with Knowledge:Warfare. You get a -1 to Rarity since Denon is a world on a primary trade route. This will all be Mission gear and will be 'given' back at the end of the Chapter (with an option to buy if you'd like using your own Credits).

Or feel free to purchase gear as well ... just let me know which one.
Jun 1, 2021 3:59 pm
Observing the ceremony, Ani reflected on many things... She believed in the mission of the Jedi, and of the Republic - to bring peace to the Galaxy. But you of course cannot create peace with war.

It was the last course of action.

War creates nothing but suffering, and fear, and anger, and death. And certainly those things - when targeted and executed properly - can, sometimes, and for a time, create a manner of peace. Just as bringing a criminal to justice can create a manner of peace. But war... what a terrible means to achieve an end.

Just as with a criminal case, there was still a wrong, still loss, that would remain and could never be truly erased. And war was the same but on a much greater scale, and unlike a criminal case, almost inevitably demanded the creation of more wrongs and more loss to bring that peace.

Anytime someone thanked her for her service, she couldn't help but reflect morose and inwardly, as she smiled and accepted the platitude graciously outwardly. Too often the words would come out as a reflex from those who offered them, with no actual thought or honoring of the phenomenon of service afterward.

She would want to say back to them;

'Don't thank me for my service. I do what I do, not for you, but for those who had no choice. For the wronged and the loss. For those who were wronged in the acts that started the war. For those who were wronged in the process of war - both civilian and soldier. And that, for those of both sides.

So that perhaps if I do my job right, there will be fewer wronged and fewer lost.

I, and those who are wronged, don't need your words - I need your action.

To thank me, I instead only ask that you live a life that treats all other lives with respect. One that doesn't depend on resources that must be extracted at someone else's expense. One that doesn't indoctrinate or demand that others consider your customs above any other. One that doesn't seek a unending expansion of influence or wealth. One that seeks truth and kindness.

That is how you can thank me.

Look behind you, and look ahead of you, and with that perspective try to live a life that doesn't necessitate war.
'

And so it was with these thoughts that she looked upon the continuing losses.
Jun 1, 2021 8:04 pm
CT-8470 stopped for a moment to stand at attention as the fallen are unloaded from the cruiser. The loss of so many good soldiers was never a good thing, but those men had died doing the exact thing they had been made to do: Fight so that other sapients might live. Not everyone got to fulfill their purpose in life in so unambiguous a manner. He could only hope that General Di got the same consolation in his own death.

Offering a quick salute, CT-8470 turned back to his own duty. "7447, do you have what you need to gain entry to facilities in lockdown?" If the Seps had closed up shop prior to evacuating, they might need to unlock sealed doors or else blow them open.
Jun 2, 2021 5:25 am
Lucky offered salute to their fallen brother obviously. He never forgot his fallen brother himself, they were always in his mind and heart.

For for all the heroics exits, recognised and honored by all, there were thousands of brothers falling unseen and forgotten. Keeping them with him everyday was the best honour he could give them.
OOC:
Lucky already has bought and modded most of his gear. He will ask for availibility of one of the sweet Katarn-Class Commando armor.
Do I need to enumerate the gears I have accumulated until now?

Edit: Logistics rules are brutal when you are not specced in it. His good old battared Trooper armor will do.
Last edited June 2, 2021 5:26 am

Rolls

Know (Warfare)

2 Success, 1 Advantage, 3 Failure, 7 Threat

Total: 1 Failure, 6 Threat

Jun 2, 2021 12:39 pm
TheVagrant says:
OOC:
Lucky already has bought and modded most of his gear. He will ask for availibility of one of the sweet Katarn-Class Commando armor.
Do I need to enumerate the gears I have accumulated until now?
OOC:
The commando armor and ARC Trooper armor will be offered as Duty awards (sorry (not sorry)) as like in the Clone Wars show I want it to remain 'special' and only given/allowed to those select few who have earned it.

You have done an excellent job of listing what gear you have and what mods/attachments you have given them on your character sheet. Your mission gear that you have listed will of course have been assumed that you have turned it in and any gear you want for the current mission you will need to list.
Jun 2, 2021 1:13 pm
Beamer stood at attention, expressionless. His brothers died doing what they were intended to. They were certainly being buried like men. Still, an uneasy feeling crept around the back of his mind. Was there anything after this for them? He was proud to be part of something bigger. Proud to be made for this - and good at it. But he knew full well that even though they were far more complex than a new-model rifle, they were still specifically engineered as tools of war. Would they still be treated like men as the novelty of a clone army wore off?

Pebble's comment brought him back. He turned to them with a wry grin.

If all else fails we can make due with sticks and stones. He gestured to his rifle. Just let me bring my own stick.
Jun 2, 2021 4:24 pm
Master Kota had seen to it that Denon had a small supply of fitted space suits for Wals' use. The complication of a tail made simple refitting almost impossible. The armorers had fitted plates to it, pinning down the normally bulky and flowing robes Wals favored under brown-striped white pauldrons and an armored belt containing an atmosphere regulator. The bubble-canopied helmet, transparent to his lower jawline where it hinged open to fold back behind his neck, was tucked into a pocket beneath his voluminous hood. It still bounced uncomfortably on his back between his shoulders. He had finally asserted himself at the addition of armor plates to his tail, leaving a single hinged plate protecting his posterior joint, the rest of the appendage sleeved in the black undersuit material common to clone trooper armor.

The overall effect, with his sleeves tucked into vambraces and his sleek build trimmed tightly, made him almost seem comically dwarfish beside the clone troopers, rather than merely short. His cavern-adapted eyes squinted in the comparatively bright sunlight of Denon as he walked towards the shuttle, well wide of the procession.

By the standards of most races, including his own, Wals was barely past the peak of his adolescence. The expectations of the war wore on even the most seasoned Jedi, but he was still of an age where he grappled with the idea of mortality at all. He almost staggered at the sight, as the caskets flowed from the hold of the llooming Acclamator by the score. He struggled to contextualize it.

The Battle of Geonosis had been a blur, a disastrous battle for survival in the face of an unexpectedly resilent opponent. What had been intended as a show of overwhelming force to cow a nascent group of revolutionaries had turned into a pitched battle far more evenly matched than the Republic had been led to believe. He'd only attended one funeral, aside from a more general memorial service. Seeing Master Shay's casket atomized in the ceremonial pyre at the temple had been devastating.

He couldn't possibly multiply the sense of displacement and disassociation by the numbers that filled the boarding ramp. He couldn't bear the thought of all those troopers, brothers in more than arms, confused and disoriented by the grief. Their training and their shocking youth sheltered them, perhaps, from the full impact, perhaps better than his more empathetic Jedi upbringing, but he couldn't imagine it was any less injurious to them than it had been for him.

He mounted the shuttle's boarding ramp with a shaky hand on an overhead bar, dropping himself into a jump seat at the shuttle's rear with much greater weight than his diminutive frame seemed capable of carrying. He slumped forward in his seat and put his head in his hands, eyes squeezed tightly shut.
OOC:
Wals will hopefully be able to requisition a suit of Jedi Recon armor (CotR p. 56 [4000 Cr; R8] with an integrated Breath Mask (p. 188 F&D [25 Cr; R1] and Commlink (F&D p. 180 [25 Cr; R0], and the Vaccuum Sealed Attachment [EotE 195 [1000 Cr; R3]. Let me know if any of that is out of bounds.
Jun 2, 2021 4:40 pm
Not used to flight yet, sir? The energetic voice and footsteps hopping on the transport belonged to...

Well, how would Wals know? They're clones.

Beamer offered him a bracing smile then registered something about the young Jedi's posture. His expression fell but was somehow more genuine.

It's part of the job, but you don't have to like it.

He wasn't talking about the ship anymore.
Last edited June 2, 2021 4:42 pm
Jun 2, 2021 8:02 pm
Wals did not have a reputation for being particularly bright. As he looked up at Beamer with dark, blank eyes, the clone might get the impression that the reputation might be deserved. One furred ridge over his eye furrowed as he decoded the subtext like a foreign language.

But he might just have been shaken.

His thumb moved up and brushed over the curve of his Padawan braid along his jaw. His lips worked a little, struggling to find words in the moment. "I don't know if it agrees with me."
Jun 2, 2021 9:13 pm
Good.

Beamer liked this kid. Whatever the rumors said, his heart was in the right place. Or at least wanted to be.

My kind? We're bred for this. But why bother ending a war if it agrees with you? People who can say "enough" are just as important as troops. Maybe more so.

He gave Wals a casual salute then buckled in to wait for the others.
Jun 3, 2021 1:03 am
Quote:
Offering a quick salute, CT-8470 turned back to his own duty. "7447, do you have what you need to gain entry to facilities in lockdown?" If the Seps had closed up shop prior to evacuating, they might need to unlock sealed doors or else blow them open.
Hopefully, that will be given to us. In the past, it has been. My strong suit is mechanics and explosives though.

Along with the others, 7447 pays his respects to the fallen.
Jun 3, 2021 6:51 pm
Trailing Sectors Command - Denon

The flight deck cleared of personnel, the Honor Guard moving the fallen to a warehouse where they could be placed in honor until the arrangements to return them to Kamino and a proper observance of burial could be made. Sarge, having finished his preflight checks exited the shuttles small cockpit to take inventory of the Squads progress in loading the shuttle and ensure everything was secure.
OOC:
Short post and not exactly moving the story forward but that is intentional. It seems that I was not clear in my instructions.
My intention (and hopefully will continue moving forward) is for the Players/PCs to have creative freedom to take ownership of planning and implementing plan on each mission/chapter. Thus any equipment or gear that may/may not be required should be considered and listed. And anything forgotten will most likely cost Destiny to 'remember to bring along'.

Thus far I we have:
ETA-Class diplomatic shuttle
Medical Droid
(And though Wals requested the Jedi Recon Armor it is a bit rare and pricey and it was mentioned the Jedi Battle Armor can be vacuum sealed so we will assume the two Jedi have that)
Clones - Personal Armor and Weapon
(It was mentioned though not exactly stated as definite but I'm going to assume some breaching charges).

Anything else?
Jun 3, 2021 7:33 pm
OOC:
list of potential equipment which may or may not required logistic roll and may or may not be RP:
stimpacks
CK-6 Swoop for the team
explosive
DZ-70 Fugitive Tracker Droid (from Duty)
Infrabinoculars (with Long-Range sensors) (from Lucky personal gear)
Dataspike
Hacking droid? (does one of the new clone in the team is good in hacking?)
Data Breaker
Camouflage Netting (for the shuttle)
Field Ration Pack
Power Unit for Military Modular Backpack Frame
Crash survival kits
General Purpose Scanner
Lockpick Set
Electronic Lock Breaker
BlackOps Data Breaker
Long range commlink?

Jun 5, 2021 2:23 am
OOC:
So, what Lucky would think of would be the bikes, the general purpose scanner, the lockpick set, the crash survival kitand either a power unit or sensor Unit for his military modular backpack.;
Jun 5, 2021 3:30 pm
OOC:
Beamer is content to follow the group this time, largely because Lav is still figuring out the system.
Jun 9, 2021 2:20 am
OOC:
7447 would like anything explosive, data spikes, computer spikes (are they the same?), the correct gear for protection from biological weapons (I think that was said before), but anything else I wouldn't know as, like Lav, still figuring things out
Jun 23, 2021 2:27 am
Outside the Capital City of Old Mankoo - Old Mankoo System

The small, yet serviceable, diplomatic shuttle settled upon the grassy plain with a sharp hiss of air that sent the local fauna scurrying with quick, irritated chirps. The tall grass, undulating in the small breeze, appeared as if their transport was floating upon a see of green, the peacefulness broken only by the occasional content lowing of a herd of herbivores in the distant - perhaps making it difficult to believe the planets economy was in such a depressed state. Despite the 'official' documents stating they were on a Judicial mission in search of a fugitive, for all appearances they had landed unnoticed - having received no contact from the starport that Officer B'Hespon had warned at this point was barely classified as 'limited services.

Bravo knew from their study of the holomap that their LZ was upon the high plateau above the medical facility, equidistant between the city - also upon the plateau - and the hospital. The main highway to the facility took a gradual route down and exited the Capital on the far side from where the squad had landed with a service road that was narrow and utilized switchbacks to descend the steep face.
OOC:
I intentionally left distances vague. You all can determine how close to the City and the facility you want to land and then consider how you want to reach the facility.

Feel free to elaborate on the trip with whatever character introspection or dialogue you want.
Jun 23, 2021 10:41 am
Lucky spend most of the trip in a pensive mood. As usual, he used the travel time to double check and maintain his old and new gears. He had made sure to prepare in case of heavy resistance and he was feeling confident. Despite the quick rotation of squadmates, he was starting to get more used to his new role. With the new familiarity came more thoughts about the scale and impact of their assignment, but that was somethings to figure out at a later time.

When the shuttle landed and the site was secured, the trooper addressed the commanders :
"Shall I prepare the bikes or shall we proceed on foot?"

Speed and discretion both had their value. He himself was leaning more toward speed in this case. The situation on the planet seemed to be enough to keep everyone sufficiently distracted.
Jun 25, 2021 11:20 pm
Wals stepped down the ramp, blinking in the sudden light of the sun. It was only due to their elevated vantage that he could see the city. Their shuttle had likely been little more than a speck, if anyone had noticed at all. He felt the oppressive presence of the open sky, though. An overflight might reveal them.

"I.. think we should ride. At least until we get closer." He turned to their attache, the doctor. "Will your instruments be able to tell us if we are in danger at those speeds?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.