Other Lives

load previous
Jun 26, 2021 1:18 pm
The trip to Old Mankoo had given CT-8470 time to review procedures for detecting and responding to hazmat contamination and to drill the squad on how to respond. All of them had had flash training on the subject, but building the muscle memory and reflexes to respond properly needed to be done the old fashioned way, and he liked to make sure everyone was fresh and primed. If someone's suit got breached, he wanted the best possible odds of saving the soldier.

As the squad disembarked, he paused as Lucky asked the commanders how to proceed. He favored the use of speeders to get them and their equipment to the site quickly, but his job is to carry out the Jedi's vision, not substitute his judgment for theirs. Happily, Wals is of the same opinion. "You heard the commander, Bravo," CT-8470 barks. "Get those bikes down and loaded, nice and easy. Slow is smooth..."
Jun 28, 2021 3:50 pm
Ani was not a talented pilot, but she did enjoy flying speeders, nonetheless, so she was more than happy to take them in. She had a feeling that the style of approach may give the mission a feeling of urgency and 'liveliness' that may not be necessary in reality. But there was also no reason not to be expedient either. She checks her armor's seals one last time and signals that it's time to move out.
Jun 29, 2021 2:59 am
Thrilled to be using the bikes, 7447 helps get the bikes down and help load any gear needing to be taken and makes sure his own things are secure as well
Jun 30, 2021 5:24 pm
Outside the Capital City of Old Mankoo - Old Mankoo System

After a very brief discussion, the Squad aptly agreed that the bikes offered the most advantageous approach. Nervously the doctor agreed that he should be able to detect any contaminants presence, particularly if they elected to take the service road whose narrow width and constant switchbacks would make any sort of speed treacherous.

With practiced ease the Squad made short work of unloading the bikes and getting them prepped for use with Sarge agreeing to coordinate things from the shuttle and be ready for a hasty departure should one be required.
OOC:
It was never stated. Are you all electing to have the Squad take the service road down the plateau or the main road (you would have to go through town)?
Jun 30, 2021 5:29 pm
OOC:
I was a little confused about the main road vs. service road thing, but now that you've clarified, I'm thinking service road.
Jun 30, 2021 6:32 pm
OOC:
I'd say service road, speed is not a big issue and we want to keep a low profile.
Jun 30, 2021 7:07 pm
Beamer always enjoyed a good speeder ride. Not that he could feel the wind in his hair or anything like that, but they were quicker than walking and freer than a standard transport.

So! He calls to the others in a low but cheerful tone. We doing a standard perimeter sweep or did someone have another plan?

He was generally most comfortable on a ledge with his rifle, but not knowing the full extent of the bio weapon, he wanted to keep his options open.
Jun 30, 2021 7:31 pm
Wals had, thankfully, taken the time to adjust his swoop during the flight there. Hopefully, none of the others would have to jump in, or their knees would be pressed into their chest trying to operate the raised pedals. He was no great natural pilot, and he flew with the caution of a teenager in a speeder his parents didn't know he was borrowing. He kept pace at the back of the formation.

He reached down to the commscreen, using the bike's sensors to perform a quick sweep of the area as they approached. "We should circle the facility, but only if it's safe. Minimize exposure to any toxins."
Jul 1, 2021 6:25 pm
Cranking on the throttle, speaking over coms, "I think there could be some benefit in doing a little reconnaissance in town... Do we have a volunteer team of two, who could make a low profile pass down the main road? Help give us a broader look at what we might expect?

No stopping. No engagement. No matter what.

I'd do it myself, but it's not where my skill-set lies...
"
Last edited July 1, 2021 6:27 pm
Jul 1, 2021 8:38 pm
Not unless the locals are friendly towards Troopers. Beamer's response had a little levity in it, but he had a point.

Now, I'm not much of a diplomat myself, but I like to think I've got a decent set of eyes and ears.
Jul 1, 2021 11:18 pm
Somewhat jokingly, "What? Crowd control wasnt a part of your training, Trooper?"

Back to business, "I really don't know if we should expect to find anyone alive there... That's why I would kind of like eyes on it.

An opportunity to gauge the extent, and therefore possibly effects, of the release.

But avoiding contact with locals was preferred by Command, so that's why I don't want anyone going in that can't maintain a low profile.
"
Jul 2, 2021 12:56 am
Quote:
"I think there could be some benefit in doing a little reconnaissance in town... Do we have a volunteer team of two, who could make a low profile pass down the main road? Help give us a broader look at what we might expect?
Lucky look around at the squad all wearing fullbody military suits. Then, I looks at the military backpack and riot shield he is strapping unto his bike.

"I have electronic equipment to have eyes without going to close." The trooper refered to the Clone Polarized Electrobinoculars mod attached to his helmet and the Infrabinoculars in the armor webbing.
"Just need to help me cover the gear and armor with something. There is some thermal cloak and high-tensile microfibre line in the crash kit inside and some netting in the storage section of the shuttle."

Lucky was always happy to volunteer, it would just take some time for any of them to have a low profile as they were.
Jul 2, 2021 4:24 pm
"Do you think the release has gotten as far as the town..?" Wals furrowed his brow nervously, scanning the comms channels for civilian and civic chatter.
Jul 2, 2021 5:19 pm
OOC:
We're here to investigate what we're dealing with, as far as what the release is/was, right?

We know there was a large die off, as that was how the Republic learned of the facility's existence.

Looking back, when I asked about the size of the die off, I didn't get an answer. Looks like the closest thing that was said was that "there seems to be no indication the locals were involved in any way --- nor even knew of the facilities existence", but that seemed to be more in relation to the operation/occupation of the facility.

Generally, my impression is/was, we don't know the extent.

Was just an idea. We're here to investigate, seemed to me like we could potentially learn something there.
Jul 2, 2021 8:33 pm
OOC:
That is a good idea, especially since the airport was totally silent when we hailed.

Just RPing a bit around it ;)
Jul 2, 2021 9:58 pm
"Right then," CT-8470 says, "Beamer and Lucky, head for the city to recon the situation. Keep your distance, keep an eye out for strange activity or a strange lack of activity. We don't want to advertise our presence here, just get the lay of the land." This might all be part and parcel of the governmental collapse Edite had described, but it's worth checking to see if anything has reached the locals. "Rendezvous with us at the facility when you're done." He looks toward Commander Barouk, to see if she has anything further.
OOC:
Worded as an order IC, but more of a suggestion based on who seems to have indicated an interest. I can modify/be countermanded if I'm off base.
Jul 7, 2021 5:12 am
"Yes, Sir."

@Beamer "Let's take the service road first and then split toward the town, no need passing through the whole thing."

After having camouflaged his armor and equipment a bit, Lucky is ready to go.

Once they are in view of the town, he'll stop and take a good look with the electronic binocular before getting close.
OOC:
Does Beamer have a Squad Tactical Systems (Armor upgrade)?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.