Final Fantasy Genesys?

May 13, 2021 9:54 pm
Does anyone know of any Final Fantasy mods for the Genesys/Star Wars FFG system?

My IRL group wants to look into during a game in that world and Star Wars FFG is what we normally play so I was hoping to keep it simple to transition.

The hardest part for me is the magic wielding but I guess either using Genesys proper magic or even reskinning Force powers from SWFFG wouldn't be terribly hard. I even had a thought about trying to make a custom Career/Specialization talent tree to mimic SWFFG and make it real dumby proof for the group.
May 14, 2021 12:47 am
I can't say I'm savvy enough to make the most out of Genesys, but if you're looking for something simple, the FFd6 System by Dust (and others, of course!) is top notch and easily customizable. Probably not the exact answer you were looking for, but it's the one I'd heartily recommend to just cut to the quick so you can jump right into the good stuff.

Linkarooni to the original post Dust provided.
May 14, 2021 1:00 am
There's a fan FF7 mod to Genesys here.

If that link gives you trouble, try this and navigate to Community Content.
May 14, 2021 2:52 pm
That fan FF7 mod really gets me in the right direction I was hoping for. The ideas behind magic and which skills to use were my big hang up.

I was thinking more of an FFX setting, which could easily be fitted into this.

Thinking about this, the Career/Specialization system of Star Wars FFG might actually work great for FFX. Each PC has a career and specialization to represent their "sphere grid" section. The careers will be set up in a way that will allow jumping between the grids that are close to each other on the grid. Specializations could be based distinctly on characters in the games.

Maybe even add the "Force die" from SWFFG into a summoning mechanic, if someone wants to become a summoner. They probably will need to invest in special "summoning trees" where each one is a different Aeon....though that opens a can of worms on how to handle summons (maybe they could be full separate characters you control after a summon for x-amount of turns, number of "light side" points on a Force die roll adds a extra turn, number of "dark side points" subtracts a turn, maybe you add a "summoning skill" and successes/advantages could be used to add special abilities to them?) This is just spit balling an idea on it
May 14, 2021 7:46 pm
Yeah, specialization trees are always fun. There's advice for how to design them in the Genesys Expanded Player's Guide. As you suggest, though, the problem with them is that they require a ton of time and effort on the GM's part before play begins. If that's prep you enjoy, that's great, but if you'd rather just start playing, the à la carte approach to talents is probably the way to go.

If you're concerned about emulating the class system prevalent in several Final Fantasies, maybe you could do a separate tree-like thing for just class-specific features. Treat these like Force powers, maybe (a class power tree rather than a class tree). Or treat them like Heroic Abilities in Realms of Terrinoth, where the PC gets an automatic upgrade for every 50 earned XP or so.

I'm just thinking of ways to reduce the prep you're talking about. Might be worth going free-form for standard character advancement, with some sort of class features as an added layer that the player can dip into as they wish, or at specified intervals.
May 14, 2021 9:15 pm
I know one of my thoughts on limiting work would be to basically swipe one from Star Wars specializations and only updating the names/talents as needed. Remove any verbiage that is "star wars" specific and if an entire talents is too Star wars-y, just update that entire talent to something very Final Fantasy-y that fits the theme for the class.

Example would be taking the Marauder Talent Tree and essentially just renaming it "Knight" Spec, change the instances of "Melee" to "Melee - Heavy", remove the brawl skills and rename a bit to add FF flavor. With that, I think you would have a fairly good facsimile of an "Auron" build from FFX.

I dunno, I have some ideas just not sure the best way to implement
May 22, 2021 8:30 pm
If you guys don't mind, I'd like to add those links to my resource page.
May 23, 2021 6:09 pm
Sure, good idea.
May 27, 2021 10:15 pm
Update:
My gaming group is having our "pitch session" for our next game (we meet up and basically all just have a single pitch for the next game we play).

I am working on my FF Genesys pitch now.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.